HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2012-2013 Playoff Discussion Thread: Kings vs Blues

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2013, 02:32 AM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
I didn't notice Perron being bad. Sure he might not have been great, but I think all the forwards looked pretty good. I liked when Perron got in Quick's kitchen early in the game. Perron has that feistiness about him which I like. He needs to keep doing that and try to get under their skin.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:06 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I'd play Adam Cracknell and before the game show him a clip of King boarding Pietrangelo and say, hey bro, wanna earn a one way contract next year hint hint?
Maybe he doesn't know the difference between "6" and "8" because he sure crushed Muzzin early and often. Wow.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:11 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Perron by far looked like the worst Blue on the ice in game 1. I don't remember him not turning the puck over, which is really really sad. I wouldn't be upset if Tank is in for him next game.
The two worst Blues were Berglund and Stewart. They seemed subpar. Perron didn't have some amazing game but to call him the worst Blue on the ice is ... I dunno, it's just not what happened in the game.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
stlweir

I thought Berglund and Stewart both played very solid games. Jack man who played such a great game had a couple of turnovers late.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Would like to see Tarasenko in, but not at the cost of Reaves or Cracknell. Keep subbing out the top two lines so they get rested.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:50 AM
STL Blues Fan

The game day thread should be closed after say all the days playoff games r over and all the discussion should continue in this thread until the next game day thread. Now I need to look at 2 threads for post game talk.
Go Blues!!! I thought it was over after that late goal but we caught a lucky bounce and Steen got 2 in one game!!! Seems like th Kings got all the bounces going their way in the playoffs last season.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:11 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

I thought Berglund played a pretty good game. He put a lot of pressure on his assignments and it obviously worked.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:29 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

well, when game headed to ot I thought even if we win the momentum isn't our friend anymore (because the Kings know a) Quick is on again and b) they can still score the timely goals on us) if nothing very special happens...fortunately that happend, we got the series lead AND the momentum

Old
05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
The two worst Blues were Berglund and Stewart. They seemed subpar. Perron didn't have some amazing game but to call him the worst Blue on the ice is ... I dunno, it's just not what happened in the game.
I don't think Stewart was subpar per se. He did backcheck pretty well and throw a couple of hits. But yeah offensively he was a black hole. I want that Perron-Berglund-Stewart line back.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
I don't have an issue with how Berglund played, thought he had a good game. The effort from Stewart was there, but he made a mess of more than a couple of passes that were highly frustrating. Outside of Perron grabbing Quick and then grabbing someone else with about 2 minutes left in regulation, he was largely invisible.

Really, nobody was terrible. Our finishing has got to improve fast though.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Mandelbaum View Post
Would like to see Tarasenko in, but not at the cost of Reaves or Cracknell. Keep subbing out the top two lines so they get rested.
As would I.

Oshie doesn't look 100%, so I'd take him out and let him rest for *****s sake.

Plus, Tank gives us more of what we need right now.

Players that aren't afraid to shoot (and finish) and more physicality (to pick up the slack for Perron, Berglund and Stewart in that department).

Old
05-01-2013, 11:28 AM
ExJbeck

Quote:
Well it is what happened, you can't ignore what happened in a game. That is impossible. I do agree that Berg and Stew were bad though. If I had to rate 3 worst forwards last night It would be 1. Perron 2. Berglund and it was almost as bad as Perron. 3. Stewart, who really didn't do anything productive either. You could make an arguement that Berglund was worse, but I thought he gave slightly more effort than Perron.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 05-01-2013 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Removed condescending part
Old
05-01-2013, 11:30 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

So, did anyone else notice that we weren't letting the Kings just hang around the front of our net anymore?

I like that it wasn't a problem, at least last night (and maybe won't be a problem from now on).

Old
05-01-2013, 11:39 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Blues Fan View Post
The game day thread should be closed after say all the days playoff games r over and all the discussion should continue in this thread until the next game day thread. Now I need to look at 2 threads for post game talk.
Go Blues!!! I thought it was over after that late goal but we caught a lucky bounce and Steen got 2 in one game!!! Seems like th Kings got all the bounces going their way in the playoffs last season.
I agree. I like how some other team forums have a pregame thread, then lock it when the game starts, then the GDT, then lock it when the game ends, and have a post game thread.

Old
05-01-2013, 11:47 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Not sure who I'd sit for Tarasenko, but like Tarasenko's 2 goal game against LA, he just has a knack for scoring when he's on. Maybe a little rest and the playoffs will reignite his killer drive.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:05 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExJbeck View Post
Well it is what happened, you can't ignore what happened in a game. That is impossible. I do agree that Berg and Stew were bad though. If I had to rate 3 worst forwards last night It would be 1. Perron 2. Berglund and it was almost as bad as Perron. 3. Stewart, who really didn't do anything productive either. You could make an arguement that Berglund was worse, but I thought he gave slightly more effort than Perron.
Well I for one watched it live from Scottrade. He wasn't great but he wasn't as ba as you make it sound.

Last edited by Celtic Note: 05-01-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old
05-01-2013, 12:10 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Well I for one watched it live from Scottrade. He wasn't great but he wasn't as ba as you make it sound.
Same. He wasn't great, but he did do his job defensively. Is that not enough? Sure, he could have been better, but so could have a lot of players, to be honest. J-Bo needs to put more on his passes. Perron needs to stop stickhandling instead of reading the ice. I'd like to see better and more D to D passes as well. Have to get goalies moving side to side and create lanes through passing.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:26 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Another of the underrated aspect of the game last night, and really they carried this over from the last month of the season, was the Blues performance at the dot. Especially offensive and defensive zone draws. The Blues are becoming a pretty solid faceoff team and this is without Nichol no less.

Backes 67% OZ - 70% DZ
Berglund 60% OZ - 50% DZ
McDonald 86% OZ (amazing on PP)
Sobotka 100% OZ

Perhaps I'm thinking of San Jose, but didn't JR write a morning skate blog that touched on Hitchcock being upset last playoffs that LA's center were cheating all the time on draws?

All I know is that the lineman kept kicking out LA's centers in the first period and Sutter was getting so pissed. It was funny to watch. Wonder if Hitch gave a reminder to the linesman early in the first?

Old
05-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Bluesman91

This win could do wonders for this team if they grow off of it. It just shows that they can win any game they want. Even if its game 1 versus a team that has beatin you for the past 8 games down and you take a double minor in OT.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Leaftors

my brothers a blues fan, and since i started watching them with him, ive liked them

great game last night!

Old
05-01-2013, 01:04 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

The conventional wisdom typically holds that the fourth win in a series is the most difficult. But in this instance I think most of us felt that the first first win was going to be the most difficult.

While I was stunned at how well the Blues played in regulation and I was equally stunned when Williams scored, if the Blues were going to win, the way it played out is how I thought it would play out before the game. It just happened in an odd manner with the Blues not facing adversity until there were 30 seconds left in the game.

Just listening to the "hockey god" quotes from Hitchcock and some of the players post-game, it's clear Steen saved the season.

First win was always going to be the hardest. Now it's a series.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:14 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Another of the underrated aspect of the game last night, and really they carried this over from the last month of the season, was the Blues performance at the dot. Especially offensive and defensive zone draws. The Blues are becoming a pretty solid faceoff team and this is without Nichol no less.

Backes 67% OZ - 70% DZ
Berglund 60% OZ - 50% DZ
McDonald 86% OZ (amazing on PP)
Sobotka 100% OZ

Perhaps I'm thinking of San Jose, but didn't JR write a morning skate blog that touched on Hitchcock being upset last playoffs that LA's center were cheating all the time on draws?

All I know is that the lineman kept kicking out LA's centers in the first period and Sutter was getting so pissed. It was funny to watch. Wonder if Hitch gave a reminder to the linesman early in the first?
Exactly this. LA is a really good faceoff too and we made it look like stealing candy from a baby - just dominated in the circle. Sobotka is real good, and Backes has gotten much much better on draws this season. He's above average now.

I like the center matchups that Hitch went with. We knew it'd be Kopitar vs. Backes, but switching Sobotka and Berglund to put Sobe against Richards and Berglund against Stoll really paid off. Berglund has an advantage on his line now against Stoll, and Sobotka is a great tough player that can get under your skin to go against Richards. I liked that.

Still real pumped about the game. Only worry I have is like everyone else has said: finishing. I worry that Quick is gonna be pissed and come back and dominate even more possibly. He made a blunder but he still makes me nervous - that guy is a great goalie for sure. It will be tough to solve him. That's why this could be a long (but good) series.

I'd keep the same lineup for game 2. It'd be nice to have Tarasenko in there but we won, so let's just go back at it. The 4th-line needs to stay for sure as they were tremendous. Oshie to me looked okay. He was non-existent in the physical game but was pretty reliable with the puck.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

That call of Steen's goal is one of the classic moments of Blues history that will live on forever. I already like Darren Pang, but that reaction really endeared him to me. Kelly's spontaneous OMG was so organic and unscripted. The place erupting right along with them, it was pretty emotional even sitting at home in New Mexico watching on TV.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
BlueDream

So awesome to watch. Love the part starting at 2:21 that shows that maze of players coming into the pile.

Old
05-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

That call of Steen's goal is one of the classic moments of Blues history that will live on forever. I already like Darren Pang, but that reaction really endeared him to me. Kelly's spontaneous OMG was so organic and unscripted. The place erupting right along with them, it was pretty emotional even sitting at home in New Mexico watching on TV.
My favorite part.

Quote:
Good bye, good night, game over!!!
That is a line that could be historic in the right context.

Closed Thread