HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs Thread

Old
05-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC96 View Post
I have plenty of sources to back those claims if you're interested in me posting some links.
Well yeah, that's why I said "Got any sources to back up those claims?".

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 03:20 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Torres gets a hearing.
I don't know what is more sad here:

This new hearing?

or

The majority from the Kings Organization saying this is a dirty hit and Torres deserves a lifetime ban from the game?
I see nothing wrong with that hit at all. ****ing NHL.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:39 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
I'm amazed to see on the main boards how alot of neutral fans who hate Torres with a passion are even saying that this hit on Stoll isn't suspension worthy.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 04:02 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Well yeah, that's why I said "Got any sources to back up those claims?".
http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2006/07/e...ine-wasnt.html
http://theleafsnation.com/2012/5/29/...bine-adventure
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,129173
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290631
http://nesn.com/2009/09/predators-ma...r-phil-kessel/
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...lli_kesse.html
http://sportsofboston.com/2009/12/10...-dont-boo-him/
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...ut_phil_kessel
http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/200...e-way-out.html
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=352776
http://nesn.com/2011/02/phil-kessel-...-needed-to-do/

It's a lot of links, but it pretty much covers the whole saga from start to finish.

Last edited by CC96: 05-15-2013 at 04:44 PM.
CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:05 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I appreciate the links but I have to say, those didn't do much to back up your claims. Most all of them reference the same thing, the Columbus Blue Jackets interview with Kessel at the combine. More so, one of the articles actually points out how that is an example that shows you shouldn't put too much stock into the combines because they believe Kessel ended up being as good as advertised. Most of the articles are also 5-7 years old, hell they talk about Jack Johnson being a Carolina prospect. Again I appreciate you actually giving sources, that's more than most will do, but I don't think they paint the picture of Kessel you seem to see.

Old
05-15-2013, 05:17 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
I don't think they paint the picture of Kessel you seem to see.
Does a team trading a 21 year old who scored 60 in 70 games do anything for you?

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Jamieh

Boston traded Joe Thornton
Dallas traded Jerome Iginla
Pitts traded Staal
Ottawa traded Dimitra
Edmonton traded Gretzky

I don't think I need to go on with the fact that being traded doesn't really mean much.

Jamieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
I appreciate the links but I have to say, those didn't do much to back up your claims. Most all of them reference the same thing, the Columbus Blue Jackets interview with Kessel at the combine. More so, one of the articles actually points out how that is an example that shows you shouldn't put too much stock into the combines because they believe Kessel ended up being as good as advertised. Most of the articles are also 5-7 years old, hell they talk about Jack Johnson being a Carolina prospect. Again I appreciate you actually giving sources, that's more than most will do, but I don't think they paint the picture of Kessel you seem to see.
I understand you're not going to read all 11 links, I simply included them in case anyone was interested in reading about the whole saga. I basically said I didn't like him, because it was documented that he essentially forced a trade from Boston.

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/200...e-way-out.html
Kessel, says Chiarelli, demanded a trade and wouldn't negotiate a contract, so that was that. Indications are that was indeed the situation, and Kessel's statement that he "never once" demanded a trade was really just semantics.

Let me be perfectly clear," Chiarelli said. "This trade is really about two things. One, it's about a player who did not want to play in Boston. Two, it's about the threat or the perceived threat of an offer sheet."

And because of the reports that he had problems with Claude Julien's coaching style,

One of the biggest reasons why Kessel wanted out of Boston was his prickly relationship with Claude Julien. The coach practiced tough love with Kessel, benching him against Montreal in the first round of the 2007-08 playoffs. At times, Julien was critical of Kessel's soft play and reluctance to stick to the defense-first system.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if anybody wants to root for Phil Kessel or likes the guy, thats cool and I have no problem with it. That being said though, I'm not exactly mud-slinging baseless accusations at the guy, this stuff was all pretty heavily reported on around the time he was traded to Toronto.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Does a team trading a 21 year old who scored 60 in 70 games do anything for you?
Point taken but still...Boston.

Quote:
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if anybody wants to root for Phil Kessel or likes the guy, thats cool and I have no problem with it. That being said though, I'm not exactly mud-slinging baseless accusations at the guy, this stuff was all pretty heavily reported on around the time he was traded to Toronto.
Understood, I'm just saying it seems like a lot of speculation and hearsay. In one of the articles you linked it says the Bruins tried to trade Kessel first, he only asked for a trade after that. Agreed you're not pulling stuff out of air, the amount of fire is debatable but there definitely appears to have been some smoke before.

Old
05-15-2013, 07:32 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Crawford looking pretty shaky and the Chicago D is mostly standing around.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 08:02 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Crawford looking pretty shaky and the Chicago D is mostly standing around.
This makes me very happy.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:10 PM
doaner

Quote:
This makes me very happy.
Me too! Go Wings!!

doaner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2013, 09:19 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

I don't get the hate on the Red Wings here sometimes. Classy organization. Everyone remarks they are top notch. Illitch takes care of his players. Look at the almost unprecedented amount of success they've had and sustained. In Michigan. All the players don't live in Detroit proper, but still. I'll knock them down a peg or two for Abdelkader's shenanigans and for signing Tootoo. But beyond that, great team. Fans are obnoxious though.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:49 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
I don't get the hate on the Red Wings here sometimes. Classy organization. Everyone remarks they are top notch. Illitch takes care of his players. Look at the almost unprecedented amount of success they've had and sustained. In Michigan. All the players don't live in Detroit proper, but still. I'll knock them down a peg or two for Abdelkader's shenanigans and for signing Tootoo. But beyond that, great team. Fans are obnoxious though.
Honestly, I like the Wings, it's more their obnoxious band-wagon fans that give them the bad rap 'round these parts. I think the Hawks' bandwagon is worse though, especially when you consider what little fan support they had in the mid 2000's.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:50 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Chicago wins 4-1 scoring 3 unanswered in the 3rd.

Old
05-15-2013, 09:53 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
Honestly, I like the Wings, it's more their obnoxious band-wagon fans that give them the bad rap 'round these parts. I think the Hawks' bandwagon is worse though, especially when you consider what little fan support they had in the mid 2000's.
If I had to pick a team in this series to root for, it Chicago and only because they have Rozi and Carcillo on the roster. Chicago and Kings Bandwagon is worse than that of the Red Wings one.

Old
05-15-2013, 10:00 PM
XX
Tippett 2 the Limit

Quote:
My girlfriend is one of those fans. It's not really a Wings thing. It's people who are proud of being from that ****hole city and anything associated with it, which explains the behavior. My family left in the early 90s, like half the population, and I couldn't be happier about it. She just moved here four years ago and is proud about being from "the D." She can't name 5 players off the current Wings roster but can name most of the Coyotes because I've converted her to the dark side. Can't resist those plucky desert dogs.

Quote:
Chicago and Kings Bandwagon is worse than that of the Red Wings one.
Is it really a bandwagon when you make it 22 years in a row?

Old
05-15-2013, 11:53 PM
zz

If you take away the annoying fans, Detroit is such a good team to root for. Skilled star players, discipline, great coaching, a great development program, and no tolerance for mediocrity.

I like them even better now as underdogs.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:26 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
If you take away the annoying fans, Detroit is such a good team to root for. Skilled star players, discipline, great coaching, a great development program, and no tolerance for mediocrity.

During their top end heydays of the mid 90's till the later 00's the puck control system that Detroit played was beautiful to watch. Even if you weren't a fan of the team you wished your team could play puck possession hockey like that.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 12:38 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
During their top end heydays of the mid 90's till the later 00's the puck control system that Detroit played was beautiful to watch. Even if you weren't a fan of the team you wished your team could play puck possession hockey like that.
That is so true. There was no dump and chase. It was all about puck possession and carrying it in the zone. So fluid.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2013, 01:24 AM
rt
Kim Jong-tipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post

It's only the idiot Detroit fans in Arizona that suck, so far as I can tell. I haven't been able to hate the actual team itself since the inception of the hard cap. Can't hate em like the Yankees. The rules are the same for them as they are for everyone else. Plus they have every excuse to be the worst market in the league. Dominance has kept them relevant against all odds.

05-16-2013, 04:48 PM
gra
Custom User Title

Quote:
Is it really a bandwagon when you make it 22 years in a row?
Fair enough though some can argue that even with a very long making the playoff streak some will give up on the team should the Red Wings start losing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
It's only the idiot Detroit fans in Arizona that suck, so far as I can tell.
There are all kinds of fans no matter where one goes. However, all of the Red Wings Fans I have come across in California were all cool to me. In Southern California, those same fans I came across knew more about hockey than any of the Kings and Ducks Fans I have met in person.

Old
05-16-2013, 04:50 PM
gra
Custom User Title

We should know sometime before Game 2 of the Kings vs Sharks game tonight what punishment if any Raffi gets.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:00 PM
CC96
Serious Offender

Quote:
We should know sometime before Game 2 of the Kings vs Sharks game tonight what punishment if any Raffi gets.
He deserves nothing, but with Shanahan and his great wheel of justice it could be anything. I can almost guarantee he'll be suspended though, since the only consistent part about Shanahan's discipline, is that he always seems to suspend players when they injure someone else, almost completely regardless of whether or not the hit is clean.

Old
05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
pacerhimself

Well, he was served a suspension until the end of the Sharks/Kings series. Booo

pacerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote