HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Going out with a bang! Oilers win 7-2

Old
04-28-2013, 01:13 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 500
Fun game!

Regarding MacT...I think he has a vision of what he wants and we are going to see some major changes. The lazy players are done.

I think we're going to see some positive changes around these parts.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:14 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
given Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH, Gagner for core offense
Horcoff, Jones, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, Smyth, Petrell, Eager, Belanger etc as depth

given Fistric\ Peckham for grit ... never used them
Paired up the Schultz the entire season

not ideal lineup but there was enough skill and grit given to Kruger to not finish bottom 10. He couldnt get the players going at the same time ..

replacing Hemsky + Gagner for grit in top 6 is not going to put us over the top.. We need a different system.
Enough skill?

They were severely overmatched right from the start of the season. Even in games where they blew out the opposition scoring wise, they tended to get absolutely dominated.

There is no magical coach out there that can take this horrifically unbalanced roster of inexperienced youth, and apathetic vets out of the bottom ten as it is. It was the 2nd worst team in the NHL last year, and added 2 rookies, and replaced a bottom 6 defenseman.

This team got the result it was capable of, probably even exceeded expectations.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm somehow reminded of the BP "foodie" commercial.

I've been a professional for decades and wouldn't know anything about what you're on about.

Is his tie wrong as well. What about Don Cherry and his loud blazers, tells us all about it. Don't hold back.
I'm just chiming in for fun here, but if this is the case, then I'm willing to bet some serious v-dollars that you have a "holster" for your blackberry. Bet that looks awesome with your buttoned up jacket.

I'm just kidding though... but I remember clearly being told the "button rules" of wearing a suit the first time my Dad let me wear one. I thought it was the silliest thing I'd ever heard, but I didn't dare stray from the formula.

I'm sure there is a wiser's commercial in there somewhere.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by H A L L elujah 4 View Post
Yakupov and Hall on the same line was deadly last 2 games, Hall creating so much chances for Yakupov. starting next season I wonna see a line of Hall XXX Yakupov.
having said that.. Paajarvi played a big role in 2 of Yak's 3 goals tonight......

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RipsADrive

Was at the game tonight and had a blast.

Those who were saying the Oilers didn't deserve our applause at the end can go suck a lemon. Sure the end of the season was disappointing but the team (the kids) put on a show in the 3rd period to close out their year and they deserved their ovation.

Nothing wrong with ending the season on a high note.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:17 AM
The Bored Man
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Enough skill?

They were severely overmatched right from the start of the season. Even in games where they blew out the opposition scoring wise, they tended to get absolutely dominated.

There is no magical coach out there that can take this horrifically unbalanced roster of inexperienced youth, and apathetic vets out of the top ten. It was the 2nd worst team in the NHL last year, and added 2 rookies, and replaced a bottom 6 defenseman.

This team got the result it was capable of, probably even exceeded expectations.
Exactly. This team is going nowhere without competent management. Want to make the playoffs next year? Add a top-four defenceman, upgrade at centre, two physical top-nine wingers, and a capable goalie. This is assuming that Hall/Yakupov build on these seasons, RNH/Eberle can rebound, and JSchultz improves his defensive game.

Not out of the woods yet.

It is encouraging though that Mac-T said the same as the bolded. Even during that five game winning streak, he said that he wasn't happy with them getting out-shot.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:19 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Did I seriously just read that the Oilers future is in trouble because MacT sat down without unbuttoning his jacket? Ok now I've heard it all!

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:20 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
having said that.. Paajarvi played a big role in 2 of Yak's 3 goals tonight......
Luongo had a bigger role

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:20 AM
jaydubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post
Was at the game tonight and had a blast.

Those who were saying the Oilers didn't deserve our applause at the end can go suck a lemon. Sure the end of the season was disappointing but the team (the kids) put on a show in the 3rd period to close out their year and they deserved their ovation.

Nothing wrong with ending the season on a high note.
Especially since the home fans had not seen a win since the beginning of April.

jaydubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:21 AM
djdub
This Space for Rent

5 pages on how to wear a suit....

Was an exciting season

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:21 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Enough skill?

There is no magical coach out there that can take this horrifically unbalanced roster of inexperienced youth, and apathetic vets out of the bottom ten as it is. It was the 2nd worst team in the NHL last year, and added 2 rookies, and replaced a bottom 6 defenseman.

so Eberle, Hall, Hemsky and RNH is not enough skill ? check what they did last season.. Not sure how much blame goes to Kruger but the kids sucked this season.
Gagner and Hemsky were carrying this team the first half..

Paajarvi and Horcoff are decent 3rd liners.. Belanger and Jones above avg 4th liners.
On paper this team looked pretty solid minus a top 4 LD (Whitney sucked)

MTL added Markov and rookies and dominated East.. Not saying this was a playoffs team but Kruger had enough ammo to not be talking about lotto pick.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:22 AM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Happy with Pajaarvi's progression this season.

If he keeps going to the net, then he's going to have some success.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:23 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepprey View Post
Luongo had a bigger role
felt sorry for him... The guy made some great saves tonight before the wheels fell off..

Old
04-28-2013, 01:23 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
We don't suck?

I'm driving down to Vancouver with the old man, and was listening to the game on the radio. Before the game, I said, with the Eastern bias, for Yak to be in contention for the Calder he needs a hattrick tonight... After the second goal, I just knew

04-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Fun game!

Regarding MacT...I think he has a vision of what he wants and we are going to see some major changes. The lazy players are done.

I think we're going to see some positive changes around these parts.
From reading the subtext of what he said, I'd say the major reworking will be on the 3rd line -- Jones will not be back, I think, and I just do not see the desired intensity or compete in Hartikainen. Horcoff, presumably, will still anchor that third line. Brown is great as a 4th line energy guy, and Smyth probably will be back (though personally I think he shouldn't be). If Lander slides into that 4th C slot, that means finding two 3rd line wingers.

I have to wonder what Hemsky would bring back -- whether he could return a big, aggressive top 9 guy with some offense or is that too much to hope for? Because he's not a 3rd line guy, and I am reluctant to see Paajarvi slide back down after seeing him getting his confidence back and developing some chemistry with Yakupov. Something has to give though.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I'm just chiming in for fun here, but if this is the case, then I'm willing to bet some serious v-dollars that you have a "holster" for your blackberry. Bet that looks awesome with your buttoned up jacket.

I'm just kidding though... but I remember clearly being told the "button rules" of wearing a suit the first time my Dad let me wear one. I thought it was the silliest thing I'd ever heard, but I didn't dare stray from the formula.

I'm sure there is a wiser's commercial in there somewhere.
Heh, I'm working class born and raised and damn proud of it. Had to learn to do a tie on my own and only keep the monkey suit on long enough to get through the interview then throw it in the backseat or the closet where it doesn't see the light of day.

jk or not hearing some of this jacket etiquette is like an alternate GQ universe that I want no part of.

Hearing how serious people are about some of this (not you) is uncanny.

This is a hockeyboard. Not GQ fanforum.

ps, don't own a blackberry, never did, never will.

Last edited by Replacement*: 04-28-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:31 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Did I seriously just read that the Oilers future is in trouble because MacT sat down without unbuttoning his jacket? Ok now I've heard it all!
Ha... only if you have reading comprehension issues

Old
04-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
I'm posting wearing sweatpants, sweat shirt. Unshaven, grasping the wrong kind of poorly marketed beer with one hand. Oh look, I spilled some suds.

burp

Please discredit me.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:34 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
so Eberle, Hall, Hemsky and RNH is not enough skill ? check what they did last season.. Not sure how much blame goes to Kruger but the kids sucked this season.
Gagner and Hemsky were carrying this team the first half..

Paajarvi and Horcoff are decent 3rd liners.. Belanger and Jones above avg 4th liners.
On paper this team looked pretty solid minus a top 4 LD (Whitney sucked)

MTL added Markov and rookies and dominated East.. Not saying this was a playoffs team but Kruger had enough ammo to not be talking about lotto pick.
Could be the main reason right there, not exactly a minor addition, and Shultz doesn't even remotely compare to the two-way contributions a player of that caliber brings(not yet anyways).

RNH/Eberle struggled all year with injuries, Gagner/Hemsky gave up as much as they scored most of the time. Horcoff was horrific most of the year, and hasn't been a positive contributer in 3. Jones missed significant time, and is a shadow of his former self. Paajarvi had a short stretch where he was decent, but it still a largely invisible player. Belanger? really?

This team couldn't score, it couldn't defend, it had no idea how to win a puck battle, had no clue where the front of the net was, zero grit anywhere in the line up. Some of it is on the coach, but he was handed the keys to a sinking ship.

I say again, this team had bottom 10 written all over it due to it's personnel. It simply isn't good enough.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:37 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Heh, I'm working class born and raised and damn proud of it. Had to learn to do a tie on my own and only keep the monkey suit on long enough to get through the interview then throw it in the backseat or the closet where it doesn't see the light of day.

jk or not hearing some of this jacket etiquette is like an alternate GQ universe that I want no part of.

Hearing how serious people are about some of this (not you) is uncanny.

This is a hockeyboard. Not GQ fanforum.

ps, don't own a blackberry, never did.
Me too to the bolded...

and you overreacted to the original poster's comment (and put words in his/her mouth). Meanwhile I tried to inject some levity into the situation...

I agree it was a strange thing to read on a hockey forum... though somehow I'm glad I did... it made me snarf beer out my nose... since my wife notices those things (keenly) and has a major crush on MacT. I now find myself armed with new ammunition.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:45 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Me too to the bolded...

and you overreacted to the original poster's comment (and put words in his/her mouth). Meanwhile I tried to inject some levity into the situation...

I agree it was a strange thing to read on a hockey forum... though somehow I'm glad I did... it made me snarf beer out my nose... since my wife notices those things (keenly) and has a major crush on MacT. I now find myself armed with new ammunition.
Well, the OP, by his own admitting, discredited MacT, and questioned his professionalism on the basis of a button on a suit.

It was clearly worded, stated, and intended. Much to my surprise.

In an org where I'm pleased if management gets in front of a microphone while appearing sober and of sound mind and body to button or not to button is beyond strange analysis.

Lowe would get up there, slur his words that he obviously reads off of a script, never once making eye contact with camera, while stammering away with uh's, and oh's at the type staring at him. Then going off script just long enough to be considered the village idiot one more time for some such stated nonsense.

Yackity Yak

Old
04-28-2013, 01:45 AM
ales83fan

#YakCity

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:47 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Loved the game, Oilers core is here to stay, time to surround with grit

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:54 AM
McDoused

Lots of individuals really took strides forward this year.

1. Hall proved he can be top 10 in scoring.
2. PRV showed he has what it takes to stick in the NHL
3. Gagner proved he can be a capable number 2 center.
4. Yak showed why he went first overall.

If all 4 of those guys can continue this next year while RNH and Eberle stay healthy, we have a decent top 6. Would love to upgrade on size but it seems like a good start. The real question will be who's left in the bottom 6. I keep Horcoff (unless you are confident in buying him out while upgrading via UFA) and Brown. The rest can go.

McDoused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:00 AM
taunting canadian

Quote:
given Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, RNH, Gagner for core offense
Horcoff, Jones, Hartikainen, Paajarvi, Smyth, Petrell, Eager, Belanger etc as depth

given Fistric\ Peckham for grit ... never used them
Paired up the Schultz the entire season

not ideal lineup but there was enough skill and grit given to Kruger to not finish bottom 10. He couldnt get the players going at the same time ..

replacing Hemsky + Gagner for grit in top 6 is not going to put us over the top.. We need a different system.
To me, the bolded illustrates the biggest hole in the roster: what are the alternatives? Smid, Whitney, Fistric, Peckham () are not exactly better options. The team needed/needs a veteran top pairing D-man to pair with J Schultz. Expecting a rookie and a 2nd pairing (at best) guy (which describes all of the current options) to carry the load is a recipe for disaster. If the Oilers had:

True #1-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Schultz-Random 3rd Pairing Guy

That would be a decent grouping. Possibly still leaning on J Schultz too much at this point in his career but the rest of the guys are probably playing at the right level.

(I'd add that while Smid might be better than N Schultz, he's not a true top-pairing guy nor do I figure he's a great fit for J Schultz).

The defense is a management issue IMO, not a coaching issue. Krueger could have shuffled the deck chairs but he can't steer the ship.

I kind of feel the same about the bottom 6 forwards, I'd label these guys as being personnel problems: Horcoff, Jones, Smyth, Eager, Belanger. In the case of Jones, it may be injury related. In the case of Horcoff, maybe he can work himself out of it.

taunting canadian is offline   Reply With Quote