HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Going out with a bang! Oilers win 7-2

Old
04-28-2013, 04:43 AM
Del McPreston
LOOCH

vCash: 137
MacT's got my support, I hope he is able to deliver and reshape the roster. I'm not expecting a Stanley Cup contender next season; I just want to watch a team that competes every night and plays meaningful games late next season. It's clear he realizes the team has a lot of issues, something that Tambellini either couldn't see or refused to acknowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
I guess it's all up to interpretation. I took a lot of what he said to pointing at kruger getting fired.
I believe this is the quote you are referencing. Hrudey asked MacTavish how not being a very patient person will benefit him in changing the team in the future:

"I think we're at the stage now where you go from almost a neglect style where you're in a rebuilding mode, to at some point you have to change gears and get into a more aggressive style of play and be more aggressive in the way that we manage the team. I think we're very much there. Everybody's got to accept some responbility to this. I really view my job as to make some moves here that really clearly identify for the players what we're looking for in terms of the personnel and the style of play and the commitment that we have and I think that doing that will make a big difference."

Here's the whole interview (starts at 5:30): http://www.cbc.ca/player/Sports/Hock...ID/2382113205/

Del McPreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:54 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
I guess it's all up to interpretation. I took a lot of what he said to pointing at kruger getting fired.
Not sure how you got that impression.

He spent the whole interview talking about how the roleplayers didn't give a ****, management can't sit around on it's hands anymore, and that the plan is to show the existing players that they are going to start proactively trying to win instead of letting them sink every year.

There was nothing in that interview that suggests Mact has changed his mind about not firing Kreuger.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:02 AM
The Perfect Human*

Hall top-10 in scoring
Yak leading rookie scoring.
Justin Schultz top-20 D scoring
Ebs showing his pedigree down the stretch
RNH still looking good with one arm.

Decent positives to take here. Along with a ****-load of negatives, some including the aforementioned players.

Lets hope MacT makes necessary moves to strengthen this team. I want to see Hemsky, Smyth, and Nick Schultz gone when this team takes the ice in October

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:09 AM
McTowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Frankly I can't believe their are people that think any of this is important in the scheme of things.

Judge book by cover, got it..

As for the bolded I'm rendered speechless. Now theres cause and effect invoked. Because MacT wore his suit wrong the Oilers suck and will continue to suck.
Lol, I agree. That post was humorous! Obviously a kid trying to sound smarter then everyone else.

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:36 AM
Panda Bear

How on earth has everybody managed to misinterpret jaydubya? Jesus Christ.

He commented on how MacTavish wore his suit complemented his body language on HNIC. He said that it reflected upon MacTavish's job and the upcoming summer in that MacTavish was in a stressful position because there is a lot of hard work to be done on the team. MacTavish didn't look happy nor relaxed while talking about the team because it stresses him out how much work he has to undertake in order to overhaul the team.

Failing to unbutton his suit, jaydubya thus argued, is a tell that MacTavish is not relaxed about his job due to the amount of stress involved.

There was no claim whatsoever that MacTavish was doing poorly in his job because of how he wears his suits when sitting down.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:19 AM
oilphan

If you want to have some fun, take a look at the nucks board. Same thing after every loss too the Oilers. Just a bunch of excuses. Not trying, etc. Exact same as the last a$$ whooping.

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:24 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilphan View Post
If you want to have some fun, take a look at the nucks board. Same thing after every loss too the Oilers. Just a bunch of excuses. Not trying, etc. Exact same as the last a$$ whooping.
Henrik Sedin just got his ass beat down in that game. His team let in 7 goals. If he was really a good player, he would have stopped the bleeding. Terrible captain.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:38 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Loved what MacT had to say about Yakupov..I'm no longer afraid that he will trade him..
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've always liked Kevin Lowe and MacTavish..Love how they think the game...Lowe may not be the best communicator and sometimes lets his temper get the best of him..but I still like him, maybe not as GM (that whole Comrie and Smyth thing made that clear) but as being part of the Oilers I think he's great, he and MacT both know hockey, the way that it should be played.
MacT just seems very sincere, makes alot of sense when he talks..isnt afraid to say it like it is (ex.no hopping around questions, choking on his own words)

He also mentioned that he'll take the fans advice on not moving any of the young core..but I think he was bein slightly sarcastic..not sure, but at least he doesnt share the same thought about moving Yakupov as Friedman does.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:43 AM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

As i said often this year . The Oilers would get close to 48 points and next year be in the playoffs . As for fans saying Mac T probably does not make changes base on these 2 games . your wrong . Mac T will make some big changes , he has always been a man of his word

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:56 AM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 50
MacT was always good with a quote and good in an interview, despite his not unbuttoning his jacket.
can't get too excited as we need action, not words.
sick of edmonton sports management saying the right things but following it up with lousy performance.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Hey did anyone notice the button on MacT's Jacket?

Like many have posted, I'm so thrilled to hear him say that there are too many lazy guys in the room, and that he never saw hope in the team this year, even when they were in 8th at the deadline.

I'm hoping for sure that this means goodbye to Smyth and Hemsky. Honestly I'd take another Mike Brown on this team over Hemsky any day. I just dont think Ales has the heart and dedication to make this team better. I havent really seen it since the MacT coaching days.

Mcnotloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:08 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

Neglect style is a style now
At least he didn't say Gangnam Style of management

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:11 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicEric View Post
phone interview
I hope it goes to voicemail

Old
04-28-2013, 10:13 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Big difference. They only jumped from 8 to 4, the winner this season gets #1.
They should have done it NBA style and have all 14 GMs on a bigger panel.
They would need to rent a hall or stage to accommodate Feaster

Old
04-28-2013, 10:22 AM
KneeOnKnee

I am just here for the jacket debate. Aside from MacT needing to unbutton his jacket, when would the occasion call for a blazer to be worn during a interview? Because I have one.

KneeOnKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:03 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Isn't possible playing Yakupov limited minutes early on led to him looking fantastic in the last 10 games?

I don't think Krueger's received much credit for his handling of PRV and Yakupov.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydubya View Post
MacT doesn't know that he is supposed to unbutton his jacket when he sits down.
Quote:
True enough, it was my intension to imply that it detracts from his professionalism in the context of an interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
How on earth has everybody managed to misinterpret jaydubya? Jesus Christ.

He commented on how MacTavish wore his suit complemented his body language on HNIC. He said that it reflected upon MacTavish's job and the upcoming summer in that MacTavish was in a stressful position because there is a lot of hard work to be done on the team. MacTavish didn't look happy nor relaxed while talking about the team because it stresses him out how much work he has to undertake in order to overhaul the team.

Failing to unbutton his suit, jaydubya thus argued, is a tell that MacTavish is not relaxed about his job due to the amount of stress involved.

There was no claim whatsoever that MacTavish was doing poorly in his job because of how he wears his suits when sitting down.
Parse the above and follow along. The OP WAS trying to question the professionalism of MacT based on one button. Maybe I could make the second quote in bolded flashing red font for you to pick it out.

The OP's posts got worse, and stanger, as the conversation went on. I'll admit to taking the piss out of what I considered smarmy "miss manners" type posting. Overall it was in good fun and most people here caught the humor in it. I'm sure anybody that watches the "foodie" commercial caught the humor in it.

But finally, to indicate that MacT is perceiving stress of the upcoming offseason and that it indicates its going to be a stressful upcoming season is creative interpretation at best. Maybe he had a bad taco. Or bladder was full and had to use the John..

I just think its funny. In a meaningless game, and end of season, we may as well go out in a blaze with some humor about buttongate.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Replacement
Checked out

PS. Thread should be titled; "Going out with a button."

Or "On A button or a prayer"

or "To button or not to button, that is the question."

Old
04-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Isn't possible playing Yakupov limited minutes early on led to him looking fantastic in the last 10 games?

I don't think Krueger's received much credit for his handling of PRV and Yakupov.
Said this all along that for the first time we took some of the pressure off a rookie and walked him along slowly. An NHL season is a shock to a young player and a lot harder than it ever looks. Typically we expose a kid to so much in the first year that they invariably have more difficult second years by just being overwhelmed.

We paced Yak nicely, He clearly benefitted from it, but you'll rarely see a post accrediting that. Good job.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:18 PM
jaydubya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Parse the above and follow along. The OP WAS trying to question the professionalism of MacT based on one button. Maybe I could make the second quote in bolded flashing red font for you to pick it out.

The OP's posts got worse, and stanger, as the conversation went on. I'll admit to taking the piss out of what I considered smarmy "miss manners" type posting. Overall it was in good fun and most people here caught the humor in it. I'm sure anybody that watches the "foodie" commercial caught the humor in it.

But finally, to indicate that MacT is perceiving stress of the upcoming offseason and that it indicates its going to be a stressful upcoming season is creative interpretation at best. Maybe he had a bad taco. Or bladder was full and had to use the John..

I just think its funny. In a meaningless game, and end of season, we may as well go out in a blaze with some humor about buttongate.
Wow, I am amazed and what we are still talking about this. Up to this point I have not posted anything on this board unless it was in the context of a GDT; now I get to be "the button guy". I guess that's what I get for posting something so random.

In hindsight it was a frivolous observation and I was looking for an excuse to take a jab at MacT and his awkward posture stood out to me, especially when contrasted with the two professional talking heads sitting next to him. This is not to say that I don't hold out some hope for him (what choice to I have?). It was simply a comment made out of a frustration that has been building up all season, despite the 13 goals in the last two games.

Replacement, your comment about the foodie commercial is genuinely funny, and I really did laugh when I read it. There is no doubt that my post came across as flippant and pretentious. However, I would argue that you went on to frame my latter comments in light that I did not intend. Whatever, forums are notorious for generating more heat than light on any given topic, especially when the forum is filled with a bunch of disappointed fans.

If my comment added a bit of levity to our discussion about the last game following this trainwreck of a season, I guess I'm cool with that.

jaydubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Replacement
Checked out

Quote:
Wow, I am amazed and what we are still talking about this. Up to this point I have not posted anything on this board unless it was in the context of a GDT; now I get to be "the button guy". I guess that's what I get for posting something so random.

In hindsight it was a frivolous observation and I was looking for an excuse to take a jab at MacT and his awkward posture stood out to me, especially when contrasted with the two professional talking heads sitting next to him. This is not to say that I don't hold out some hope for him (what choice to I have?). It was simply a comment made out of a frustration that has been building up all season, despite the 13 goals in the last two games.

Replacement, your comment about the foodie commercial is genuinely funny, and I really did laugh when I read it. There is no doubt that my post came across as flippant and pretentious. However, I would argue that you went on to frame my latter comments in light that I did not intend. Whatever, forums are notorious for generating more heat than light on any given topic, especially when the forum is filled with a bunch of disappointed fans.

If my comment added a bit of levity to our discussion about the last game following this trainwreck of a season, I guess I'm cool with that.
Thanks for being cool about this and being able to see the humor in it which is all thats ever intended.

Respect for that in anycase. As long as you don't become a foodie.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:43 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

Quote:
To be honest it has much less to do about style than it do with comfort and maintaining a relaxed posture. Just try sitting down with a fitted blazer (like MacT was wearing) with a button done up, like MacT had. Then undo the button; you will feel much more relaxed, I guarantee it.

If you have ever conducted any kind of interviews in professional settings you know that it is just as important to consider body language, posture, facial expressions etc. as it is to listen to the, often scripted, words that someone might be saying.

I don't want to read too much into this, but in my opinion, the tight and constricted posture that MacT had during the interview says alot about his position and the position that the Oilers are in going into this next offseason.

I realize that my original comment might be a little odd, but you have to admit that if you spend any time reading these forums many of the arguments and observations are seriously redundant.
Sure are some odd posts around here. Fashion police on a hockey forum.
You really do read too much into this. Mac T is a hockey player. Doesn't give a darn what you think of his appearance. Tailored suits don't mean sheet to hockey. Posture don't mean sheet to hockey.

This is Edmonton not Vancouver not Toronto. (this is where I spit and scratch my special place)

Now a moderator will be telling me to button it.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Mr McV

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I was quite happy with that win until MacT left his jacket buttoned. Might as well take away Yakupov's hat trick.

You haven't been paying attention. It was the last game of the season. Of course Yak's hattrick doesn't count. The only legitimate stat from last night is Sedin's 22 seconds. What an Ironman. Only the Canucks and their fans know true glory.

Mr McV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Seedling
Tier 7 fan (ballcap)

Clearly a man who buttons is not fit to lead our team. If we crap out next year, I blame MacT's sense of fashion.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:24 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Love MacT basically laying the smackdown on Tambo.

That man will never be a GM again in the NHL.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote