HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 1: Vancouver Canucks vs. San Jose Sharks - Wed, May 1 - 7:30PM PST - TSN

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 07:35 PM
ShouldveDraftedFiala

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Because this! This times 100,000x. If you want to be competitive you don't have those two guys as your third and fourth line centre. Bloody disaster waiting to happen. We're out in six games in that scenario.
Uhh lappiere is a beast in the playoffs whats wrong with him on the 3rd?

And you just roll 3 lines.. with the 4th getting very limited ice time as they do already

Old
04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post

And you just roll 3 lines.. with the 4th getting very limited ice time as they do already
I view Lapierre in the top nine, at any time, as a depth problem. For example, San Jose has Pavelski at third line centre, LA has Stoll, Anaheim has Koivu, etc. Lapierre is just not in that class of player. Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he's a great fourth line centre at times... especially in the playoffs when he elevates his game and actually allows you to give a fourth line heavier, and sometimes important minutes. That's just where he should stay.

And even if you move him up then your depth problem gets worse because you have Andrew Ebbett at centre on a fourth line you have to give sheltered minutes. Worst. And as another poster noted Ebbett has some of the worst advanced stats in the league ... if I had my way he wouldn't even dress.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:41 PM
kthsn

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuklehead View Post

You don't shorten your bench on game 1, round 1. That will kill you if you plan to go deep.

Start the game with Hank - Kesler - Roy - Lappy down the middle.
Put Kesler and Roy together if we need a goal.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Ebbett scored an OT winner against San Jose last year (for perspective).
yeah last year. what has he done this year? besides sucking on the PK against them. this isn't a young prospect we are talking about. Ebbett's not getting better. Also, i will **** my pants if Ebbett gets ice time in an sudden death OT in the playoffs.

Last edited by jigsaw99: 04-29-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
BuzzBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
You don't shorten your bench on game 1, round 1. That will kill you if you plan to go deep.

Start the game with Hank - Kesler - Roy - Lappy down the middle.
Put Kesler and Roy together if we need a goal.
Look at the number of games played this regular season vs the past. Impact of riding our top players won't be as significant.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:49 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I view Lapierre in the top nine, at any time, as a depth problem. For example, San Jose has Pavelski at third line centre, LA has Stoll, Anaheim has Koivu, etc. Lapierre is just not in that class of player. Don't get me wrong, I like him and think he's a great fourth line centre at times... especially in the playoffs when he elevates his game and actually allows you to give a fourth line heavier, and sometimes important minutes. That's just where he should stay.

And even if you move him up then your depth problem gets worse because you have Andrew Ebbett at centre on a fourth line you have to give sheltered minutes. Worst. And as another poster noted Ebbett has some of the worst advanced stats in the league ... if I had my way he wouldn't even dress.
lapierre played 3c during the 2011 cup run and was perfectly serviceable, if he can bring his usual playoff intensity then there's no reason why it should become a huge liability if he's paired with wingers like hansen or kassian

he's obviously no pavelski but he has the potential to play a similar kind of game to stoll...av starting out by putting roy in the 3c role is an acknowledgment that he's concerned about the 3c matchup at first but i'm not totally wary of putting lapierre in that position if roy needs to move up

Old
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
lapierre played 3c during the 2011 cup run and was perfectly serviceable, if he can bring his usual playoff intensity then there's no reason why it should become a huge liability if he's paired with wingers like hansen or kassian

he's obviously no pavelski but he has the potential to play a similar kind of game to stoll...av starting out by putting roy in the 3c role is an acknowledgment that he's concerned about the 3c matchup at first but i'm not totally wary of putting lapierre in that position if roy needs to move up
Yeah fair enough. I don't mean to harp on Lappy, as the problem stems more from overall depth than anything to do with him. I'd just like to see a guy like that actually at centre on our fourth line so you know ... we can roll four lines? If we had a legitimate replacement at fourth line centre I'd be on board with moving Lappy up ... but we don't. That move immediately makes our fourth line bloody terrible.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:27 PM
kthsn

TSN's playoff preview of the Sharks and Canucks is on right now.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:32 PM
Sharpshooter1

vCash: 550
Quote:
TSN's playoff preview of the Sharks and Canucks is on right now.
Giving Niemi the advantage over Schneider.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Sharpshooter1

vCash: 550
Canucks in 6 as per TSN panel.

I agree.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Niemi's got the better C.V.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
I'm not surprised by this. They identified Schneider's weaknesses, namely high and especially blocker side and he's a poor puck-handler. They said Niemi drops his glove side too low.

Quote:

I agree.
I do as well, but it means the Canucks will have to win a game in SJ.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:37 PM
kthsn

Hank says they are more confident in this years team then the team that lost to LA. Better scoring depth.

He says this team resembles the '11 cup run team.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
Shareefruck

As much as I understand that Ebbett and Lapierre in the 3/4 C spots is less than ideal, the chemistry has looked poor when Roy/Kesler has been split up. Higgins seems to be the strawthat stirs the drink for both of those guys.

I only like it if we can do this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian (not ideal, but I think the dropoff is worth 3 dynamite lines)
Burrows - Kesler - Hansen
Higgins - Roy - Raymond
Sestito - Lapierre - Weise

Old
04-29-2013, 08:42 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Hank says they are more confident in this years team then the team that lost to LA. Better scoring depth.

*looks at stats*

He's incorrect.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Hammer79

Quote:

Better forward offensive depth especially at 3C. Not as much offense from the D, since they dropped their high risk - high reward Dman in Ehrhoff. Garrison is an upgrade on fragile Salo. Goaltending is deeper because Luongo is the same goaltender that can steal a series like he did against the Preds, and Schneider is a lot further along in his development than in 2011.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
BuzzBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
*looks at stats*

He's incorrect.
Look at the injury list this year.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Flik
Canucks fan for life

I honestly don't know what to think about our chances this year. We've the pieces to go far and win a cup, but we've also shown to play some pretty horrible hockey as well.

Personally I'm glad that we're kind of flying under the radar. With all the heartache from season's past it will be nice to just watch the Canucks with great hopes but tempered expectations.

This is gonna be a fun series though, can't wait!

Old
04-29-2013, 08:53 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik View Post
I honestly don't know what to think about our chances this year. We've the pieces to go far and win a cup, but we've also shown to play some pretty horrible hockey as well.

Personally I'm glad that we're kind of flying under the radar. With all the heartache from season's past it will be nice to just watch the Canucks with great hopes but tempered expectations.

This is gonna be a fun series though, can't wait!
The only way I will be happy is if we beat the Hawks in the WCF.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Hammer79

Ray Ferraro takes zero risk and picks Penguins over Blackhawks in 6, says that Canucks will get through SJ in 7 and get wore down by the Blues in 6 in the 2nd round. He picks both 7th place teams to upset #2's and make the second round.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASUAL KEV View Post
bottom 2 centers:

Lappiere
Ebbett

*shudders* get well soon Shroeder.
Lapierre was excellent in 2011, one of our best players.

I like how our 4th line C is the focal point to our success, and we should arrange our entire lineup just so that ebbett is not centering the 4th line.

Secondary scoring is much much more important to the success of the canucks in this series, so is our defense pairings.

higgins-roy-kesler gives us secondary scoring,

im not sure higgins-kesler-kassian does, or raymond-roy-hansen.

we would just go back to our 1 scoring line(sedins) and others out there killing time.

Make 2 scoring lines and have lappy center raymond/hansen, and we would be much better off.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:02 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post

I like how our 4th line C is the focal point to our success, and we should arrange our entire lineup just so that ebbett is not centering the 4th line.

Secondary scoring is much much more important to the success of the canucks in this series, so is our defense pairings.

we would just go back to our 1 scoring line(sedins) and others out there killing time.

Make 2 scoring lines and have lappy center raymond/hansen, and we would be much better off.
Lapierre can be a difference maker from 4C, from 3C even with him having a good series by his standards he's just an average 3C - and that's a good series.

Old
Zanon

Quote:

I agree.

Old
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmon View Post

I'm normally on the 3rd/4th line side of the argument, but in this case, I completely agree. Higgins - Kesler - Roy just flat out works. The other combos don't seem to work very well at all, despite having solid players on them.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:03 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

It's not a 'focal point to our success', but it can't be a liability either.

Closed Thread