HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Ken Dryden Still a Legend (if he didn't play for Montreal)?

Old
04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Sentinel

vCash: 500
I rank him above Parent but below Tretiak. A personal preference.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:41 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoser View Post
Dionne wasn't traded to the Kings, despite what you might have read in many sources (e.g. Total Hockey's profile says "rights traded to Kings with Bart Crashley for Terry Harper, Dan Maloney, draft pick, etc."). Dionne signed with the Kings as a free agent. Crashley, Harper, Maloney and the draft pick changed hands as compensation, in the same way draft picks would be transferred from a team if they signed a restricted free agent today. It wasn't until the 1990s that player compensation was written out of the bylaws. Dionne's signing was the first of its kind.

And the Red Wings GM wasn't Harkness, Harkness was fired in 1974. Alex Delvecchio was GM when Dionne left.
Yeah, for some reason I was remembering Dionne as having left Detroit sooner. But the point is more that the Wings failed to retain his the services of a young superstar over a matter of money.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:26 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Yeah, for some reason I was remembering Dionne as having left Detroit sooner. But the point is more that the Wings failed to retain his the services of a young superstar over a matter of money.
It was not over money, plain and simple, Dionne wanted OUT of Detroit.

He came to the Wings and was anointed the next one after Gordie Howe retirement part one, he put up the numbers but hated the role, hated the city and couldn't get away quick enough. All the money in Michigan was not going to make this guy happy, the Wings desperately wanted to build their team around him and he just wanted out.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post

He came to the Wings and was anointed the next one after Gordie Howe retirement part one, he put up the numbers but hated the role, hated the city and couldn't get away quick enough. All the money in Michigan was not going to make this guy happy, the Wings desperately wanted to build their team around him and he just wanted out.
He went to LA because they offered to double his salary to $300k (which would make him the highest-paid hockey player in history). He was frustrated with losing, but if the Wings ownership and management at the time had put the money into the team, Dionne doesn't get frustrated with losing because there isn't any.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:13 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
He went to LA because they offered to double his salary to $300k (which would make him the highest-paid hockey player in history). He was frustrated with losing, but if the Wings ownership and management at the time had put the money into the team, Dionne doesn't get frustrated with losing because there isn't any.
He would have been the highest paid by rumour only.
Every salary in the 70's was based off of rumour, there is nothing official and there wouldn't be until the 90's.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:59 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ Yes thats very true. It was "rumoured" Orr signed a 5yr deal in 70/71 that paid him $200K X's 5yrs making him the 1st (on paper) millionaire but thats never been completely confirmed. Hulls multi-million signing by the WHA did pay him $1M up-front, the rest over 10yrs, while Sanderson never collected much on the $2.65M with the Blazers in Philly as his tenure in the WHA was short. There is also a rumour that the Flyers paid or offered Bernie Parent a million for one season in the mid to late 70's, but again, never confirmed.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:35 PM
eastcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
^^^ Yes thats very true. It was "rumoured" Orr signed a 5yr deal in 70/71 that paid him $200K X's 5yrs making him the 1st (on paper) millionaire but thats never been completely confirmed. Hulls multi-million signing by the WHA did pay him $1M up-front, the rest over 10yrs, while Sanderson never collected much on the $2.65M with the Blazers in Philly as his tenure in the WHA was short. There is also a rumour that the Flyers paid or offered Bernie Parent a million for one season in the mid to late 70's, but again, never confirmed.
I just happen to be reading Sanderson's autobiography at this moment and according to Sanderson he was bought out of his contract with the Blazers for one million dollars. I wouldn't say that was not much and for just eight games it was a pretty good payday.

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:39 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by yave1964 View Post

Yeah, that went good for him lol. Could probably have been seen as an even better player than he is now if not deserting to the wild wild west.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
I just happen to be reading Sanderson's autobiography at this moment and according to Sanderson he was bought out of his contract with the Blazers for one million dollars. I wouldn't say that was not much and for just eight games it was a pretty good payday.
Incredible. He only played about 54 games with Boston over the next 2 seasons before they grew tired of his injuries & attitude, traded to New York, and thats where as I understand it the booze really started flowing out of control. Had one good year but then the injuries & partying caught up, bad investments, moving around to St.Louis, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, the minors... good book? I should pick it up?

Old
04-29-2013, 02:59 AM
eastcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Incredible. He only played about 54 games with Boston over the next 2 seasons before they grew tired of his injuries & attitude, traded to New York, and thats where as I understand it the booze really started flowing out of control. Had one good year but then the injuries & partying caught up, bad investments, moving around to St.Louis, Vancouver, Pittsburgh, the minors... good book? I should pick it up?
I think it is a good book and definitely worth picking up. I'd say it's better than most hockey books I've read and I've read a lot of them over the past nearly fifty years.

Whenever the CBC decides to make another hockey themed movie I think this is the story they should do.

eastcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:20 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster View Post
I think it is a good book and definitely worth picking up. I'd say it's better than most hockey books I've read and I've read a lot of them over the past nearly fifty years.

Whenever the CBC decides to make another hockey themed movie I think this is the story they should do.
Already in the works....Edward Burns has a hand in it.

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:49 AM
tony d
Kyle Turris

I think he still would have been good but his # of Cup wins probably would have been less.

04-29-2013, 05:44 PM
Big Phil

I am very embarassed to say this but what the heck. I have NEVER read even a page of "The Game". Always intend to do it but never have...........yet. Why I haven't is beyond me.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Already in the works....Edward Burns has a hand in it.
Yes I read about that. "Story of redemption, father & son" blah blah blah. Edwards going to play Sandersons father in addition to Producing it, and last I'd heard still hadnt cast the lead. Lets hope the New Yorker doesnt screw it up Bubba. I'll be watchin. Nice Irish boy or not.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:21 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I am very embarassed to say this but what the heck. I have NEVER read even a page of "The Game". Always intend to do it but never have...........yet. Why I haven't is beyond me.
It's a truly great book!

Morgoth Bauglir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:22 PM
fish7

vCash: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
It's a truly great book!
It is a great book, but I think his book about the Summit Series in 1972 is a better book

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:10 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
Don't feel bad. I haven't seen any of the Batman movies.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Don't feel bad. I haven't seen any of the Batman movies.
I probably have you beat with Gone With the Wind. Yeah, I know............

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
I probably have you beat with Gone With the Wind. Yeah, I know............
Oh geez. 1939 when that came out, quite possibly the greatest year for movies of all time. Wizard of Oz, Stagecoach, Gunga Din, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Of Mice & Men, The Hunchback of Notre Dame....

and Frankie Brimsek lead the Bruins to the Stanley Cup against the Leafs.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Hardyvan123
[email protected]

Quote:
Well I've read the game but have never seen the movie "slapshot"

Not sure which is the larger ommission though.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Well I've read the game but have never seen the movie "slapshot" Not sure which is the larger omission though.
Slapshot 3; The Junior League was shot here in Vancouver Hv. Leslie Neilsen farce. Included Jeff, Steve & Jack Hanson, Mark Messier & Doug Gilmour, Brother Jake Edwards of Rock 101 as an announcer etc. A lot of the on-ice done out in South Surrey & Newtons arena. The original however is well worth the effort to track down, watch. Paul Newman doing a stellar job as ageing lothario & hockey Nomad Reggie Dunlop (he loved hockey btw) with a great supporting cast. Seriously has its "moments". Must see.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:24 AM
double5son10

It's a shame that CBC erased its game tapes from the '71 season. Dryden's game 7 performance in the opening round of that playoffs has to be one of the greatest single game performances by a goalie. Stopped 46 of 48 shots by arguably the greatest offensive NHL team ever.

I remember seeing Bowman say that Dryden's greatest strength was his consistency, that he rarely had two bad games in succession. Which is completely backed up by the fact that Dryden didn't lose consecutive games until his fourth season in the league; if I'm not mistaken 227 starts before he lost two in a row. He also holds the record for consecutive wins in the Cup Finals w/ 11.

He gets a lot of guff for not being good against the Russians, but his head-to-head record against Tretiak was even at 3-3-1.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 12:38 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

Quote:
He gets a lot of guff for not being good against the Russians, but his head-to-head record against Tretiak was even at 3-3-1.
True, and really how many goalies did well against the Russians in that era? The Russians showed us a whole different way of attacking the net. They did not shoot for the sake of getting shots on net for rebounds. They shot with purpose. And when they did, it could be very deceptive; shooting off the opposite foot, a split second earlier or later than what we were accustomed to or simply passing when we expected them to shoot. They were able to disrupt the equilibrium of our goalies. It made them look unready and simply bad at times, but this was a whole new concept to North American hockey. Not too many North American players could be deceptive with their shooting in that era. It was more about over powering the goalie. So in my books Dryden did fine. Gretzky may have been the first to introduce a deceptive shot to North American hockey on a regular basis. This was how he was able to exploit the goalies of his era. His shot was never overpowering.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2013, 02:34 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
He would have been the highest paid by rumour only.
Every salary in the 70's was based off of rumour, there is nothing official and there wouldn't be until the 90's.
I just had an interesting thought.

If Detroit had somehow picked up Ken Dryden (as I suggested earlier in the thread) would Dionne have WANTED to leave?

His desire to leave was largely motivated by the lack of success. That failure was primarily due to goaltending ineptitude. Dryden solves that issue, even if he only ends up being the Curtis Joseph of the 70s. Getting Dryden, and in turn keeping Dionne... which probably turns into taking Howe back in 1980, but no Yzerman in 1983. And the "Dead Wings" would have been the 1990s instead of the 1970s/early 80s.

Old
05-05-2013, 05:04 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
His desire to leave was largely motivated by the lack of success. That failure was primarily due to goaltending ineptitude. Dryden solves that issue, even if he only ends up being the Curtis Joseph of the 70s. Getting Dryden, and in turn keeping Dionne... which probably turns into taking Howe back in 1980, but no Yzerman in 1983. And the "Dead Wings" would have been the 1990s instead of the 1970s/early 80s.
A very, VERY questionable hypothesis. If Ilitch still pours the money, if Fedorov, Lidstrom, and Konstantinov are still drafted, and if Bowman is still hired, there would be no "Dead Wings" in the 90s.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote