Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Is Dawes big enough for the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2005, 12:04 PM
MikeS

vCash: 500
Is Dawes big enough for the NHL?

Seeing as size seems to have been the biggest factor in the injury in his collision with Shea Weber, Can Nigel Dawes handle the physical pounding he will take in the NHL?

As gifted as he is, I think today's NHL (when they are playing!) is too big and strong for him. I hate to say it, but I think it is true...

Old
05-01-2005, 12:29 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Seeing as size seems to have been the biggest factor in the injury in his collision with Shea Weber, Can Nigel Dawes handle the physical pounding he will take in the NHL?

As gifted as he is, I think today's NHL (when they are playing!) is too big and strong for him. I hate to say it, but I think it is true...
There are plenty of small guys in the NHL that manage. Sure he will be at a disadvantage..but I have no doubt he'll be able to still play at the NHL level.

Old
05-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Hordichuk_24

If guys like Mike Comrie and Daniel Briere can make it, Dawes can.

Old
05-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Levitate

size is always a factor but it's not the ultimate deciding factor IMO

he's managed to play out his junior career without serious injury while being smaller than just about everyone up until now...even the biggest players get injured on awkward hits or controversial hits.

i don't think the injury part of the equation will be the factor with his size...just more like can he deal with checking and still get open for shots so he can score goals

any news on his injury btw?

Old
05-02-2005, 10:20 AM
KRF

dawes for sure has a good shot at making the nhl, and he has the talent and speed to go there.

Old
05-02-2005, 10:28 AM
CurtisJD13

Nigel may not be "big enough" to play in the NHL in size...but his character adds all the size he needs. 50 goals for Nigel this season is good enough. The game he scored his 50th goal, I was lucky enough to meet him for the first time, and like many other WHLers, he was a true class act. Hearing what he had to say on the radio, he didn't gloat about how good he was...he commented on how well the Chiefs' goalie, Kevin Opsahl had played in the last 2 games, how hard it was to beat the young Spokane defense, and about how excited he was to show the Rangers camp what he had.

2nd line left wing for the Rangers, maybe as soon as next year, that's how good I think Dawes is.

Old
05-02-2005, 10:34 AM
Levitate

Quote:
2nd line left wing for the Rangers, maybe as soon as next year, that's how good I think Dawes is.
I imagine he's gonna need AHL time, but the Pack need a sniper and hopefully he can bring that to the AHL before he moves on to the NHL level

Old
05-02-2005, 12:23 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisJD13
and about how excited he was to show the Rangers camp what he had.

Exactly what I was thinking (though not next year...he will need a year in the AHL im sure)...Rangers have plenty of 3rd and 4th liners lined up for the future..we are lacking true 1st and 2nd line players...

In the future I see:

1st Line LW - Korpikoski, 1st Line RW - Jessiman
2nd Line LW - Dawes, 2nd Line Center - Immonen, 2nd Line, RW - Balej

Of course Korp and Jessiman(well pretty much for all of them listed) im assuming reach there full potential which is always a long shot unless there a star like Ovechkin/Crosby type.

How would that line look Lev...Dawes-Immonen-Balej...would love to see that in action.

Old
05-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Levitate

might be a bit undersized

but you never know, sometimes that stuff can work out

and if immonen doesn't pan out as a 2nd line center...it'd be nice if graham did

Old
05-04-2005, 11:03 AM
Captain Leaf

In the "new" NHL Dawes will be fine .The new rules will open it up and the thinking is according to the Hockey Bible the Hockey News is that smaller players will play more of an important role than the big unskilled shut down types currently employed by all NHL squads .Good bye Turner Stevensons ..hello Nigel Dawes.

Old
05-04-2005, 02:54 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I've only seen Dawes play a couple of times, but he's got a skillset that can translate to the NHL level. He'll have obstacles to overcome and the path won't be paved in gold like it is for some players, but he's certainly got the attitude to make it.

Closed Thread