HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
newham89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
How is it not a risk? Nichushkin has gone anywhere from 5-11 in mock drafts. Why take a prospect at 3 when we could trade down to get him, acquiring more assets in the process?

Sum ppl...
Every draft pick is a risk. I was referring to the panik-ing we'd be doing. Bt ah gess tht shd hv bin cleerah.

For the record, I'd pick Drouin without a seconds thought. But the one thing our management have done unquestionably well so far is draft, so I have faith that whoever they pick will come good.

Old
05-20-2013, 05:09 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Every draft pick is a risk. I was referring to the panik-ing we'd be doing. Bt ah gess tht shd hv bin cleerah.

For the record, I'd pick Drouin without a seconds thought. But the one thing our management have done unquestionably well so far is draft, so I have faith that whoever they pick will come good.
Good point, but I guess the jury's still out on whether we reached too far with Koekkoek. Our record with later round picks is paying dividends, not so much our first rounders the past three drafts (Namestnikov and even Connolly to an extent are still a question marks for me).

Old
05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
newham89

Quote:
Good point, but I guess the jury's still out on whether we reached too far with Koekkoek. Our record with later round picks is paying dividends, not so much our first rounders the past three drafts (Namestnikov and even Connolly to an extent are still a question marks for me).
Koekkoek looks like he could land anywhere from Karlsson to MAB which is worrying. My only worries with Namestnikov is where he will fit in our line up. Too many quality centres is a good problem however. He strikes me as a smarter Downie type player.

Connolly, I'm on the fence. I've watched a lot of Syracuse this year and whilst he has wracked up the points, he has never taken over games like a player of his pedigree should be doing. Hell, even his first season in Tampa he had rushes up the ice where he dangled players out. I've not seen that from him this year.

Old
05-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

https://twitter.com/adater/status/336656983627284480

Quote:
Avs top scout says Seth Jones not a lock as No. 1 pick

Old
05-20-2013, 09:25 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
So he falls to us at #3? If he does, will the world end?

Old
05-20-2013, 09:28 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
So he falls to us at #3? If he does, will the world end?
All proposals regarding the pick will now be declined as Yzerman hopes Jones fall to #3.

Old
05-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Thats as surprising as rain in Florida.

Seriously, nobody is going to tip their hand at this point.

Old
05-21-2013, 04:10 PM
LightningStrikes
VL4ever

vCash: 50
Nichushkin is very intriguing. It is true that we don't get to see a lot of him compared to "the big three" of this year's draft class. But I remember how impressed I was by him at the WJC (a relatively small sample size though). The most important question remains of course: Would he be willing to come to North America at all? I vaguely remember reports of an already signed 2-year contract in the KHL and even Putin getting involved to keep him over there or am I daydreaming? Also, power forwards tend to injury-proneness. If we end up drafting him at #3 over Drouin or MacKinnon I'd probably be very sceptical but until maybe 10 years from now there's no way to know who's really the BPA at #3.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 05-21-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: sp
Old
05-21-2013, 04:24 PM
HotPaquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Nichushkin is very intriguing. It is true that we don't get to see a lot of him compared to "the big three" of this year's draft class. But I remember how impressed I was by him at the WJC (a relatively small sample size though). The most important question remains of course: Would he be willing to come to North America at all? I vagualy remember reports of an already signed 2-year contract in the KHL and even Putin getting involved to keep him over there or am I daydreaming? Also, power forwards tend to injury-proneness. If we end up drafting him at #3 over Drouin or MacKinnon I'd probably be very sceptical but until maybe 10 years from now there's no way to know who's the BPA at #3.
I would draft Nichushkin over Drouin but not MacKinnon. Also im sure that the issue of if he would come over or not would be settled before we draft him.

Old
05-21-2013, 05:25 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Nichushkin is very intriguing. It is true that we don't get to see a lot of him compared to "the big three" of this year's draft class. But I remember how impressed I was by him at the WJC (a relatively small sample size though). The most important question remains of course: Would he be willing to come to North America at all? I vaguely remember reports of an already signed 2-year contract in the KHL and even Putin getting involved to keep him over there or am I daydreaming? Also, power forwards tend to injury-proneness. If we end up drafting him at #3 over Drouin or MacKinnon I'd probably be very sceptical but until maybe 10 years from now there's no way to know who's really the BPA at #3.
According to scouts, he was apparently pretty bad and underwhelming at the U-18's this past spring. The expectation was that he would dominate and he was more of a passenger along for the ride than anything else.

He signed a 2-year contract in the KHL and the rumours are that he's receiving more there than he would in a rookie contract. Regardless whether his intent is to come over or not, it's just not a gamble we need to take in a draft that is widely considered outstanding if you're drafting in the top 3.

For me, it's not just the Russian factor that's holding him back, it's also the fact that scouts just aren't as impressed with players that depend on their physical attributes to dominate games at lower levels. The comparisons with Malkin and Ovechkin are misleading since everyone knows that if he were that good, he'd go #1. Overrated imo, but I'd be happy to take him if we traded down.

Old
05-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Hey guys!

This is my latest Mock Draft with the standings as of today. I believe strongly this is my most complete mock draft ever...for real. Each player is ranked according to BPA and most possible by the needs of each teams as well. I've put a lot of work and research into it. As always, feel free to comment, whether you hate it or love it.

Enjoy the reading!

http://hockeylobby.blogspot.ca/2013/...ercard_21.html
Quote:

Seth Jones (D) – Portland Winterhawks
Colorado picks the most coveted player of the draft. Growing up in Denver, Jones will play for his childhood team. Jones has great athleticism and work ethic, combined with a great talent and vision on ice. Kid’s potential is unlimited. NHL comparison: Alex Pietrangelo + Keith Yandle

Nathan MacKinnon (C) – Halifax Mooseheads
Dale Tallon will be ecstatic to pick MacKinnon, as he will be their go-to-guy with Huberdeau for years to come. He possesses the most explosive first 3 steps of the draft combined with a nose for the net. His defensive play is very well rounded as well. NHL comparison: Taylor Hall + Tyler Seguin

Jonathan Drouin (LW) – Halifax Mooseheads
With Marty St.-Louis not getting younger, Tampa Bay will have the perfect winger for Stamkos to reach the 70 goals plateau in the near future. Basically the prospect with the best hands of this year’s draft and the past previous ones. NHL comparison: Patrick Kane + Martin St.-Louis

Old
05-21-2013, 08:13 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Hey guys!

This is my latest Mock Draft with the standings as of today. I believe strongly this is my most complete mock draft ever...for real. Each player is ranked according to BPA and most possible by the needs of each teams as well. I've put a lot of work and research into it. As always, feel free to comment, whether you hate it or love it.

Enjoy the reading!

http://hockeylobby.blogspot.ca/2013/...ercard_21.html
All I needed to see was if Drouin went to us at 3rd overall to know that I love your mock draft .

My only point of contention is Max Domi at 6th overall to Calgary. I know his stock has risen considerably, but I still see him as a 10-15 prospect, opposed to one who's taken at 6, when a more highly regarded center in Elias Lindholm is available. I also see Edmonton taking either Nurse or Ristolainen at 7th overall.

Some of the NHL comparisons are a little ambitious, but I'm not as concerned about those .

Old
05-21-2013, 09:25 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
All I needed to see was if Drouin went to us at 3rd overall to know that I love your mock draft .

My only point of contention is Max Domi at 6th overall to Calgary. I know his stock has risen considerably, but I still see him as a 10-15 prospect, opposed to one who's taken at 6, when a more highly regarded center in Elias Lindholm is available. I also see Edmonton taking either Nurse or Ristolainen at 7th overall.

Some of the NHL comparisons are a little ambitious, but I'm not as concerned about those .
Thanks! But I had to put Domi there..just to cause a little bit of discussion and drama lol.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
According to scouts, he was apparently pretty bad and underwhelming at the U-18's this past spring. The expectation was that he would dominate and he was more of a passenger along for the ride than anything else.

He signed a 2-year contract in the KHL and the rumours are that he's receiving more there than he would in a rookie contract. Regardless whether his intent is to come over or not, it's just not a gamble we need to take in a draft that is widely considered outstanding if you're drafting in the top 3.

For me, it's not just the Russian factor that's holding him back, it's also the fact that scouts just aren't as impressed with players that depend on their physical attributes to dominate games at lower levels. The comparisons with Malkin and Ovechkin are misleading since everyone knows that if he were that good, he'd go #1. Overrated imo, but I'd be happy to take him if we traded down.
The whole russian team was like that though, with the exception of (funny enough) a few of our guys (Sergeev, Nesterov). Whole lot of "me first" play rather than the alternative.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
Cigar City

I just don't understand why a kid would sign a 2 year contract when he would clearly be coming over ASAP after the draft. I thought I read something about Nich getting upset that he may not be playing in the NHL next year, so he signed a 2 year contract in the KHL. That just doesn't seem like the type of character I would want on my team.

I'm probably wrong, though.

Old
05-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Buffalos pick is the one that makes me think. They can really use talent at every spot and I wonder if they'd take a shot at Nichushkin. I also don't see Fucale going that high for some reason.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:03 PM
jg39
SFY is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar City View Post
I just don't understand why a kid would sign a 2 year contract when he would clearly be coming over ASAP after the draft. I thought I read something about Nich getting upset that he may not be playing in the NHL next year, so he signed a 2 year contract in the KHL. That just doesn't seem like the type of character I would want on my team.
Despite having a contract with Magnitogorsk through May 2007, Evgeni Malkin made his Pittsburgh debut in October 2006. The pressure some Russian players are placed under, whether it is friends or family, organizational due to the club "investing years of time and money" in a player, or pressure we don't see or understand because we aren't in Russia, can force a player's hand into signing a contract they may not want to complete.

If you ever get a chance to read King of Russia by Canadian coach Dave King, it's an incredible hockey book, and absolutely worth the read. It talks about his experiences coaching in the KHL, and how the pressure, operations, and gamedays are so much different than they are in the NHL.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:18 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still All In View Post
The whole russian team was like that though, with the exception of (funny enough) a few of our guys (Sergeev, Nesterov). Whole lot of "me first" play rather than the alternative.
This is the biggest concern for me with any Russian player (outside of contractual ones of course) not named Datsyuk or Malkin (currently in the NHL anyway). Their skills and skating are always fantastic, but it's a tribute to the individualistic nature of their development, while collective team play and the use of their teammates is often overlooked and neglected.

I played in 2 tournaments in Russia when I was younger (one as part of a prospects team and another with my Jr team) and the individualistic nature of their games was evident in their coaching, performances and practices. There is definitely a bias out there towards Russian players being selfish, but it was just as evident in their development of youth players from what I saw too.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Cigar City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg39 View Post
Despite having a contract with Magnitogorsk through May 2007, Evgeni Malkin made his Pittsburgh debut in October 2006. The pressure some Russian players are placed under, whether it is friends or family, organizational due to the club "investing years of time and money" in a player, or pressure we don't see or understand because we aren't in Russia, can force a player's hand into signing a contract they may not want to complete.

If you ever get a chance to read King of Russia by Canadian coach Dave King, it's an incredible hockey book, and absolutely worth the read. It talks about his experiences coaching in the KHL, and how the pressure, operations, and gamedays are so much different than they are in the NHL.
I'm sure you're right. The pressure he's under is immense. I think Tree mentioned the Putin thing earlier. Putin basically demanded that he be released from his team to compete in the U18 or something like that?

After some research it appears I was wrong. I'm reading that Nich didn't even KNOW about his transfer until after it happened, and that he was so upset about it he was leaning towards coming to North America this summer.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:34 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Drouin with 3 assists in tonight's game vs. London. Final will be between Halifax and the winner of tomorrow night's Blades/Winterhawks game.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:14 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
Drouin with 3 assists in tonight's game vs. London. Final will be between Halifax and the winner of tomorrow night's Blades/Winterhawks game.
Actually if the Blades win they're in the Final, Halifax is in the semis, and Portland/London would play in the tiebreaker.

Memorial Cup is weird.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:39 PM
Pontius Palat
Lurker

Quote:
I agree, this mock is wondrouful

Old
05-21-2013, 11:44 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Actually if the Blades win they're in the Final, Halifax is in the semis, and Portland/London would play in the tiebreaker.

Memorial Cup is weird.
Good point, I always thought the tiebreaker went to the team who won the first meeting between the two teams in question.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:26 AM
Cigar City

Quote:
Can't wait to watch it tomorrow at 11am! NHLNET FAIL.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

I said this on the Avs board. IF they decide against Jones I hope we'd trade down to #3 for something like your 2nd and take Drouin.

Closed Thread