HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-28-2013, 10:32 AM
  #676
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
[ 2 6 ]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,509
vCash: 500
http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.h...medium=twitter
Quote:
Director of amateur scouting Al Murray and his staff grabbed under-appreciated Ondrej Palat and Matthew Peca in the seventh round in 2011 and both have blossomed into much higher-rated prospects. The Lightning has two more picks in the final round of the draft, June 30 at Newark, N.J., and they are intent on finding GM Steve Yzerman more hidden jewels to work with.

“We’ve told Steve to get us two more 6s and three more 7s,” Murray said. “There are lots of guys we like that we think are late bloomers. Hopefully, we can find another Ondrej Palat. Those guys don’t come along every year. But you strive to get a player like that every draft.”

Murray said the regional structure of the Lightning’s scouting plan produces more chances to find late-round gems. Unlike many other teams around the league, each scout stays in his own area and gets as many as 15-20 views of each player. That breeds more confidence in projections.
Quote:
“It’s our area scouts that give us an opportunity to be more successful in the later rounds,” Murray said. “They are not the guys up on the stage very often, but they make things successful.”
Quote:
Murray and head scout Darryl Plandowski merge the regional lists after review and meetings to rate the top players. Then it is up to the regional scouts to take control of their lists of the players that are left.

“We give them ownership of that back end of the draft,” Murray said. “They’ll take as much information as they can get and then it’s their list. They get that opportunity to have an impact on the team in the mid to late rounds.

“We’re not going to jump over three of their guys to take the fourth guy on their list. We’re going to take the top guy on their list if we feel he’s better than the players on the other lists. I think our guys take tremendous pride in getting out there and seeing the teams enough that they really know what’s going on.”

__________________
VL4ever
"It's still All In to me dammit." - Felonious Python
TheDaysOf 04 is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
  #677
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
[ 2 6 ]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,509
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=18007
Quote:
Those scouts and general managers at the 2013 NHL Scouting Combine anticipating an interview with Halifax Mooseheads forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin and goalie Zachary Fucale will have to wait.

That's because Halifax will be holding a short procession and rally at 11 a.m. ET on Tuesday for the first "Mooseheads Day" to honor the team's victories in the President Cup of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and Memorial Cup as the best team in the Canadian Hockey League.

According to Halifax general manager Cam Russell, the three standout prospects will be traveling to the Combine early Wednesday morning following festivities Tuesday.
Quote:
MacKinnon has 10 interviews scheduled with NHL teams upon his arrival Wednesday; Drouin has nine.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 12:21 PM
  #678
NHLeitner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Carolina
Country: United States
Posts: 237
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
Yeah, apparently those customization rules have changed without me knowing. Twice, I tried to get Bolts jerseys, one with Marty McSorley on the back and the other with Todd Bertuzzi Bolts after the "incidents" and it did not allow me to buy either
Fun fact: If the jersey rules are anything like the T-Shirt rules, you can enter [space]{PLAYER NAME}[space] in the customization field, then you can have whatever name you want and it will still be centered on the back.

NHLeitner is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 12:35 PM
  #679
B2k3
#Yzerteam
 
B2k3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Gainesville, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 360
vCash: 500
I'm going to assume you definitely can considering I see Yzerman jerseys quite often.

B2k3 is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 01:40 PM
  #680
Ciccio1980
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 452
vCash: 500
Would you trade your 3rd ov
For gardiner and jvr

Ciccio1980 is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 01:58 PM
  #681
TheGreatOutlaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
We pass and laugh at both players. They are decent, but neither are no where near franchise potential.

TheGreatOutlaw is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
  #682
TASA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Digby, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
So now that MacKinnon has officially passed Jones as #1 in the rankings, is there a chance that Avs take him? And if so, do you guys think the Panthers take Drouin to play with Huberdeau? Then the unthinkable, we get Jones at #3.

TASA is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 02:36 PM
  #683
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Now that we can finally discuss Jones,

Is Jones NHL ready?

Steve Yzerman is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 03:09 PM
  #684
Pontius Palat
Lurker
 
Pontius Palat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
MacKinnon has 10 interviews scheduled with NHL teams upon his arrival Wednesday; Drouin has nine.
I've always wondered what teams interview these top prospects when they're obviously not gonna get 'em. I mean, any team not picking in the top 5 has no reason to interview these guys. And I doubt there are at least 5 teams ready to pitch legit trade offers for the top picks.

Pontius Palat is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 03:19 PM
  #685
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 30,320
vCash: 925
Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL 1 min
I asked top Euro #nhldraft prospect Valeri Nichushkin how confident he is that he'll be playing in the NHL next yr- "100 percent sure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Now that we can finally discuss Jones,

Is Jones NHL ready?
Most likely.

InjuredChoker is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 03:46 PM
  #686
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Mike Morreale ‏@mikemorrealeNHL 1 min
I asked top Euro #nhldraft prospect Valeri Nichushkin how confident he is that he'll be playing in the NHL next yr- "100 percent sure"
I really hope he falls on draft day to set his ego in place.

The Wyzerhood is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
  #687
MattM92
Registered User
 
MattM92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,268
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I really hope he falls on draft day to set his ego in place.
I'd say he's more confident than egotistical. I agree he's getting close to cocky though, or at least it seems that way from the translated interviews (sometimes hard to tell with the translations).

MattM92 is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:24 PM
  #688
Stammer Time*
Sons of Pirates
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: St.Pete, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 29,308
vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
I really hope he falls on draft day to set his ego in place.
If Drouin, Jones or MacKinnon said that people would be in love with his confidence.

Stammer Time* is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:26 PM
  #689
TheDaysOf 04
Moderator
[ 2 6 ]
 
TheDaysOf 04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 26,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoekkoekPuffs View Post
I've always wondered what teams interview these top prospects when they're obviously not gonna get 'em. I mean, any team not picking in the top 5 has no reason to interview these guys. And I doubt there are at least 5 teams ready to pitch legit trade offers for the top picks.
You never know, and you should prepare for anything. Recent examples would be Couturier in 2011 who went 8th and Grigorenko who went 12th last year. Both players were highly ranked, even ranked 1st by the ISS multiple times each. And while teams may not be interested in trading big pieces to move 7 or 8 spots to grab a guy, if a player like Drouin falls to 5, teams sitting at 9 or 10 may be more willing to make a deal at that time.

TheDaysOf 04 is online now  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:36 PM
  #690
Felonious Python
Still Drej
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Now that we can finally discuss Jones,

Is Jones NHL ready?
Does this matter? Why not give him a year to dominate in the WHL?

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
  #691
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
Does this matter? Why not give him a year to dominate in the WHL?
Does it not matter? Why not allow him to join the big club and help a team which sorely needs help on defense if he is NHL ready?

Steve Yzerman is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 04:44 PM
  #692
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post
You never know, and you should prepare for anything. Recent examples would be Couturier in 2011 who went 8th and Grigorenko who went 12th last year. Both players were highly ranked, even ranked 1st by the ISS multiple times each. And while teams may not be interested in trading big pieces to move 7 or 8 spots to grab a guy, if a player like Drouin falls to 5, teams sitting at 9 or 10 may be more willing to make a deal at that time.
Yeah, this is exactly why. Forsberg was supposed to go in the top 3 or at least top 5 last year. He made it past the Lightning even. They interview them just in case they are available when it is their turn to pick.

Steve Yzerman is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 05:40 PM
  #693
Kuchertime
socktaper
 
Kuchertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lake County
Country: United States
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kuchertime
I was just walking past the TV and heard them discussing (on NHL Network) how the Panthers should trade Huberdeau to us for the 3rd pick and then draft Mac and Drouin both.

Kuchertime is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 05:44 PM
  #694
Felonious Python
Still Drej
 
Felonious Python's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The Hot Seat
Posts: 16,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Does it not matter? Why not allow him to join the big club and help a team which sorely needs help on defense if he is NHL ready?
Long run.

Felonious Python is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 06:03 PM
  #695
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Taxes Conacher View Post
If Drouin, Jones or MacKinnon said that people would be in love with his confidence.
I would think they were idiots. Regardless of how talented each may be, the NHL game is still a big step up from what most of these draft prospects are used to.

The Wyzerhood is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 06:06 PM
  #696
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
I was just walking past the TV and heard them discussing (on NHL Network) how the Panthers should trade Huberdeau to us for the 3rd pick and then draft Mac and Drouin both.
This was discussed on the main boards and was not quite sure how to react to it. On the one hand, Huberdeau is already a somewhat proven commodity and we know for sure his game translates to the NHL. However, we don't know how high his ceiling is and we do know he was not as highly regarded as either Drouin or Mac are in this draft year.

That said, it's still a good proposition from a value standpoint. Something about drafting your own player intrigues me more, instead of trading for one off of that other, irrelevant Florida based team.

The Wyzerhood is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 06:12 PM
  #697
Kuchertime
socktaper
 
Kuchertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lake County
Country: United States
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kuchertime
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
This was discussed on the main boards and was not quite sure how to react to it. On the one hand, Huberdeau is already a somewhat proven commodity and we know for sure his game translates to the NHL. However, we don't know how high his ceiling is and we do know he was not as highly regarded as either Drouin or Mac are in this draft year.

That said, it's still a good proposition from a value standpoint. Something about drafting your own player intrigues me more, instead of trading for one off of that other, irrelevant Florida based team.
Yeah I don't want to do it, although the idea of US drafting both of them somehow has crossed my mind. Not sure how that would be accomplished but I would definitely be a fan of that.

Kuchertime is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 06:15 PM
  #698
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
Yeah I don't want to do it, although the idea of US drafting both of them somehow has crossed my mind. Not sure how that would be accomplished but I would definitely be a fan of that.
I have no idea how that would be possible, without having to give up either Stamkos or Hedman, which I would never do. Florida is in a peculiar position since they have sucked for so long - it's no longer about acquiring quantity in players/prospects but in quality.

In terms of being viable trading partners, we're not a good match.

The Wyzerhood is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 06:28 PM
  #699
Kuchertime
socktaper
 
Kuchertime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lake County
Country: United States
Posts: 221
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kuchertime
I don't really want to give up anyone, I just want us to magically be able to draft both of them. Make that happen, hockey gods.

Kuchertime is offline  
Old
05-28-2013, 06:37 PM
  #700
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper
 
The Macho Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 29,989
vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbears View Post
I don't really want to give up anyone, I just want us to magically be able to draft both of them. Make that happen, hockey gods.
I think their status as linemates is getting overrated. I didn't see anything that screamed "super amazing chemistry" a la the Sedins, I just saw two hockey players that were WAY better than everyone else on the ice.

The Macho Man is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.