HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL Expansion part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 07:23 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Yes they are, that would be their wet dream. You're making this out to be
"hey you can come"
-"no I don't want to"
"okay I didn't want you to anyways".

If a SEL club wanted to join KHL, the KHL would take the club with open arms. Or maybe you're right, and the KHL would rather have a club in Milan where the people couldn't care less about hockey, instead of a Swedish town with hockey interest, but hey, who am I to tell KHL how to run a bussiness.
KHL is not interested in swedish club. Many reasons, some of them were mentioned.

Quote:
Considering many of the Euro players could make much more money in Russia, and in some cases even Sweden (I guess Finland too?), it's hardly the only reason. Players are willing to take a small paycut to play with the best clubs against the best players.
Money, money and money.

Quote:
Unless you plan to bring over a couple of thousand KHL interested Russians, you won't find anyone who cares about KHL here, sorry, KHL is not a league all hockey interested countries cares about.Didn't KHL recently have their finals played? Guess how much coverage that got in media.
You are interested in KHL if you came to this thread. Nice proof of no interest of ALL swedes.

Last edited by vorky: 05-02-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
You are interested in KHL if you came to this thread. Nice proof of no interest of ALL swedes.
I think the KHL expansion is funny, trying to force markets upon countries with no interest, such as Italy.

Quote:
KHL is not interested in swedish club. Many reasons, some of them were mentioned.
Could you mention all of them again?

Old
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I think the KHL expansion is funny, trying to force markets upon countries with no interest, such as Italy.

Who said there is NO interest? You?

Old
05-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Who said there is NO interest? You?
Fine, I am interested in where KHL expands because I think it's funny. If you count that as real interest fine. Stop dodging the question though:
Quote:

Old
05-02-2013, 11:59 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
I think you'll have to force him...

Old
05-03-2013, 03:56 AM
VladNYC*

Quote:

What exactly is funny? Are you going to laugh when these new expansion teams are filled with Swedes and Finns? What about when the KHL lifts foreign player limits for Russian teams? Who is going to laugh when all your top players are gonna go over to the KHL? It's one thing to be a feeder league for the NHL, but I don't think it will be that funny to you guys when you become a feeder league to the KHL as well.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:47 AM
obskyr

It's actually a good thing that SEL clubs have no intentions to join the KHL. Because it's just as pointless as having a KHL club from Milan.

The Swedish and Finnish markets are too big, you'd need a separate conference to make their integration work. And I doubt there's anyone who can see that happening except for people who really believe in the idea of a league with more than 32 clubs (which is stupid). Maybe at some point there will be a united Nordic league, a solid #3 international hockey league, but I'm sure Swedes would be much more successful at that thing on their own.

Those markets are also too different, they're centered around small towns. And to be perfectly honest you can't find anyting but small towns in Norhtern Europe, even the second biggest city in Finland is like Cherepovets. There's simply no room for growth "continental" Europe can offer.

And that's exactly the point. The future of the KHL lies in Eastern and Central Europe, there's a possibility to bring Czech or maybe even German hockey on a new level. Any probable attempts to search for opportunities in Sweden won't bring anything but small town teams playing in Omsk under the names locals will never be able to pronounce properly, let alone care for their games.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Vicente

For all those laughing about hockey in Italy. In Milano it's a special case. With the right marketing and a good competition they have hockey crazy people there. They have had often 10,000+ fans at home games in the past. These are numbers most Swedish teams can only have wet dreams about...

Old
05-03-2013, 07:21 AM
Vicente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
Chelyabinsk is not one of the best cities to live in the KHL. It is not the worst but there are better cities in Russia. Kazan and Novosibirsk for example are a lot nicer than Chelyabinsk.
Sure but if the organization the players are in, is good, then this is no problem if the city is not world class. I mean few places in the world can say they are extraordinary nice.

I mean a lot of people say players would rather be in a tourist place like Prague but apart of the beautiful old town Prague is a very ugly place with all the prefabricated buildings.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:51 AM
bobo23

Quote:

I see KHL is not coverd in Sweden???

Well it's coverd for years all over former Yugoslavia counties, now with Mevescak in itrest can only get biger

To me this is pathetic whining. One thing is feal bad that your team is not having money, another thing is to wish failure to teams that have money. I understand completley feling bad about it just like football, basketball and handball players are taken away from Croatia so we have bad clubs in those sports despite consistant production of players in those sports, but that's the way it goes. But insted of dreming of failure to others, maybe you should wish Swedish teams to get rich and better. You don't hate and blame those who wannt to be better

Old
05-03-2013, 08:03 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I tend to agree, that at this point there's no need for Swe-Finn teams in the KHL, but I am all pro Nordic-League. It occurs to me, that if Nordic League doesn't happen soon, there will be a Nor/Dan team in the KHL.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:12 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I tend to agree, that at this point there's no need for Swe-Finn teams in the KHL, but I am all pro Nordic-League. It occurs to me, that if Nordic League doesn't happen soon, there will be a Nor/Dan team in the KHL.

Well Swedish and finnish leagues are not famous for any innovations,they like it how it is and its very likely that danish/norwegian teams join,just because swedes have no initiative.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:19 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I have a feeling bold part will be earlier. Like in Central Europe - EBEL is good, but EBEL+czech league+Slovan would be powerhouse - so no KHL teams here. But, such big league was not created in 2000´s, so KHL had chance to establish itself in territory. I see the same scenario in Nordic countries, because Finns/Swedes will not make a deal of common league. Yes, I can not imagine swedish club in KHL, but no problem with Nor/Dan team even finnish. This would be a big loss for Sweden and it will happen sooner than later - at least club from Norway. It is not coincidence that Stavanger Oilers is interested in joining and Medvedev is talking about finnish team.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
There's been talk of a Nordic league among the Finnish clubs and leagues for a number of years, the European Trophy began as the Nordic Trophy but it seems the Swedes are the ones slowing anything going forward. Because they have to discuss things with everyone and everyone's opinion must be heard, again and again...

Old
05-03-2013, 08:49 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
There's been talk of a Nordic league among the Finnish clubs and leagues for a number of years, the European Trophy began as the Nordic Trophy but it seems the Swedes are the ones slowing anything going forward. Because they have to discuss things with everyone and everyone's opinion must be heard, again and again...
Exactly.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:35 AM
ViD
#CBJNeedHugs

No offense, but the moment KHL lifts all the foreign players limit, the SEL and SM-Liiga will lose their best players and the competition level will be the same as EBEL.. Just think about it, the KHL will have 30 or more teams at that point with the minimum budget of $10m, they will be hunting for any top players available because even now there's a lack of high level players in the league

Old
05-03-2013, 09:49 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
No offense, but the moment KHL lifts all the foreign players limit, the SEL and SM-Liiga will lose their best players and the competition level will be the same as EBEL.. Just think about it, the KHL will have 30 or more teams at that point with the minimum budget of $10m, they will be hunting for any top players available because even now there's a lack of high level players in the league
Agree, just want to tell that minimal budget for salaries was 350 000 000 rubles this season, cca 8 mil. euro, 10-11 mil $. Hope my math is good. Budgets will increase, I can imagine minimal player´s salary cap around 400-450 000 000 rubles within a five years.

Old
05-03-2013, 09:51 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo23 View Post
I see KHL is not coverd in Sweden???

Well it's coverd for years all over former Yugoslavia counties, now with Mevescak in itrest can only get biger

To me this is pathetic whining. One thing is feal bad that your team is not having money, another thing is to wish failure to teams that have money. I understand completley feling bad about it just like football, basketball and handball players are taken away from Croatia so we have bad clubs in those sports despite consistant production of players in those sports, but that's the way it goes. But insted of dreming of failure to others, maybe you should wish Swedish teams to get rich and better. You don't hate and blame those who wannt to be better
No KHL is not covered here. I don't understand the 2nd part. I'm not whining they are expanding to Italy what what-not, I think it's amusing. If they make it or not, I couldn't care less. Swedens top tier players are already leaving for NHL, if you want to more of the 2nd tier than you're already doing and overpaying them, I really do not care that much. It's not like it's already been happening to my team anyways for the past 10 years considering they are in SEL-2.

Quote:
Just think about it, the KHL will have 30 or more teams at that point with the minimum budget of $10m, they will be hunting for any top players available because even now there's a lack of high level players in the league
How long is the KHL willing to pay for many of the teams in KHL? Everyone knows many of those teams will never able to support their budget alone.
You have to remember, to get the swedish players you'll have to overpay them by a lot, no swede wants to live in russia unless he/she has russian roots. A team of 10 swedes in russia might very well cost 2 times as much as it would in Sweden.

Quote:
We've been talking about expanding SEL to 14 or 16 teams for years now. This is the teams opinions:
Yes, Yes, Yes, Maybe, Maybe, No, No, No with a but. And then they leave it at that to resume the same talk next year. It's sad. I would love to see a nordic league or nordic division within KHL with several swedish and finnish teams, but I could definitely see that the reason is probably slow swedish negotiating.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
ViD
#CBJNeedHugs

What's up with the "swedes don't wanna live in Russia" part? First of all, they don't live there, they work there and fly home any time they want. Secondly, it's not like Russia is a third world country. The majority of the teams are located in the big cities with plenty of clubs, restaraunts and so on. I don't see how that's a problem for a hockey player with quite some money. The weather is the same as in Sweden so I doubt that's an issue as well

Old
05-03-2013, 10:09 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
What's up with the "swedes don't wanna live in Russia" part? First of all, they don't live there, they work there and fly home any time they want. Secondly, it's not like Russia is a third world country. The majority of the teams are located in the big cities with plenty of clubs, restaraunts and so on. I don't see how that's a problem for a hockey player with quite some money. The weather is the same as in Sweden so I doubt that's an issue as well
they don't speak Russian and don't wanna learn it...many Russians are either non-English speakers or very poor at it, especially older ones. All of Scandinavia, as well as the rest of the world had Pet Shop Boys' song:"Go West" on replay for the past many years, figure out the rest.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:16 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
It's more to do with them being older players with family that don't want to leave home to Russia where they'd be socially more on the outside. It's why many Finnish KHL players don't have their family with them in KHL, even if they live in a "good city/area" and play for a good organization. Since daddy's there only a for a couple of seasons collecting retirement funds, no reason to uproot the family for that time period. A lot of these players have already their own built houses which they don't want leave. Not to mention the children's schools. E.g. Niklas Hagman's family lived in Pori because on their kids has a speech problem which requires a special teacher that one can only find in Finland.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
they don't speak Russian and don't wanna learn it...many Russians are either non-English speakers or very poor at it, especially older ones. All of Scandinavia, as well as the rest of the world had Pet Shop Boys' song:"Go West" on replay for the past many years, figure out the rest.
It's more a phonetic thing, it's easier for Swedes to learn English. Plus the fact that in the Nordic countries don't have foreign tv shows dubbed but subtitled so it's easier to pick up pronouncing etc.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:27 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Some cities are significantly colder than anything we're used to here. But mainly it's the language barrier, and the general "russia is a poor country that's not safe" opinion. Russia is most likely significantly better than what we hear in the news, may god have mercy on your soul if it's not, but the news about russia are the following: riots, demonstrations, murder and corruption.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:02 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Any plans on having a KHL team in tyumen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
Yes. Probably they'll end up replacing Yugra. Just my guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
Why replacing? Why not a simple expansion?
Because:

1. limited places for clubs
2. Yugra is small city, small arena
3. both cities are "close" to each other
4. Rubin will have one big (I prefer bigger) arena, modern one
5. market of russian players is limited (with Vladivostok), even if import rule is changed

KHL will change, a few clubs will leave, some will come. Yugra-Rubin is one of examples.

Old
05-03-2013, 04:27 PM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

Why do Russians even care about northern euro players is beyond me, let alone pay top $$ for them. Their home boys play more interesting gametype. And are just great to watch, even when you don't have rooting interest.
I'm beside myself since Medvescak got accepted to KHL. And believe me, it's not cause I can't wait to see "my" AHL team at our rink.

Closed Thread