HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rather play Bruins or Pens round 1?

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Islander Prophet

vCash: 500
Much prefer to play Boston

Old
04-28-2013, 04:52 PM
HyeDray

Happy to be back in the playoffs, and ultimately, you have to believe that the Isles can compete regardless of opposition.

That said any series will be tough VERY tough.

The Penguins are loaded top-to-bottom. Frankly, whomever they play, I will be rooting against them. I despise the Penguins players, fans, management and ownership. I'm not sure anyone "matches up" against Pitt.

I would prefer the Bruins over the Pens just because I think we have better match-ups against Boston, and both teams have had highs and lows in the last few weeks.

While either series looks like a "pick your poison" scenario, I am not so sure Id be willing to write the Islanders off as an "easy" series win. They said that 20 years ago in 1993 when we beat the Caps and defending 2X cup champion Penguins. The series against the Penguins that year would be similar to this year. Back then the Penguins had an insane amount of skill and talent. The Islanders played the entire series without their best player in Pierre Turgeon, and found a way to win game 7.

I have not liked the Islanders in the last 6 games. Starting with the last home game against the Panthers, I just have not liked the way they have played at all. Regardless of opponent if the Isles play the way they have these last 6 games, it could get very ugly, very fast. The "right" team needs to show up.

I suspect we will see Bolton and Carkner in the lineup. I think for the Islanders to have any chance regardless of opposition they need to take some starch out of the sails of whomever.

In the case of the Penguins, I think the way you beat them is by playing a very and I mean VERY physical game. I think you take the cuffs off Bolton, Carker, Martin, Colin McDonald and Cizikas. I think those players need to hit everything in sight, and then, hit them again. I think that is largely how the Flyers did it last year.

Target #1 Cindy Crosby. I think Tavares will be target one and I believe if the Islanders go after Crosby, it could do enough to rattle the Pens off their game some and create opportunity. I am not suggesting injure him. I am suggesting that checks are finished. HARD CHECKS but CLEAN.

Obviously, the Islanders will have their hands full with Letang, Cooke, Malkin and the rest of the criminal enterprise known as the Penguins. Bottom line the Islanders need to play similarly to fight-night. Take the Pens off their game with physical play. But do so CLEANLY.

In the Bruins, I think there is a different issue. Rask is solid, and the Bs have size up and down the line-up. Typically we don't fare well against teams with a lot of size. I think blocking shots will be big for the Isles along with keeping the Bs along the edges. Chara is a factor always, and we need to thank the worlds biggest a__hole for that trade, and what do you know... he works with the Bs.

Lots of fans are saying the Isles have zero chance. OK. That's fine. But the games are played for a reason. Go Isles!

Old
04-28-2013, 04:55 PM
SI90

these are the 2 teams I said I wanted no part of.....BOS will beat us Physically and the PENS are too skilled and stacked...

Old
04-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Riddick

why does it say islanders are playing montreal in just about everything ive seen?

Old
04-28-2013, 05:26 PM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
why does it say islanders are playing montreal in just about everything ive seen?
Probably because thats the 2-7 matchup right now. However, it can't be after tonight.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:54 PM
MJF

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
If we want to go anywhere in the playoffs, we're going to have to play both. I'd rather get rid of the Penguins first.
Exactly. The assumption here is the road to the Cup Finals will go through Pittsburgh, so let's get them out of the way now. We're not real banged up right now, pretty much at full strength so this is the time to face them if ever there was one.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:23 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
Happy to be back in the playoffs, and ultimately, you have to believe that the Isles can compete regardless of opposition.

That said any series will be tough VERY tough.

The Penguins are loaded top-to-bottom. Frankly, whomever they play, I will be rooting against them. I despise the Penguins players, fans, management and ownership. I'm not sure anyone "matches up" against Pitt.

I would prefer the Bruins over the Pens just because I think we have better match-ups against Boston, and both teams have had highs and lows in the last few weeks.

While either series looks like a "pick your poison" scenario, I am not so sure Id be willing to write the Islanders off as an "easy" series win. They said that 20 years ago in 1993 when we beat the Caps and defending 2X cup champion Penguins. The series against the Penguins that year would be similar to this year. Back then the Penguins had an insane amount of skill and talent. The Islanders played the entire series without their best player in Pierre Turgeon, and found a way to win game 7.

I have not liked the Islanders in the last 6 games. Starting with the last home game against the Panthers, I just have not liked the way they have played at all. Regardless of opponent if the Isles play the way they have these last 6 games, it could get very ugly, very fast. The "right" team needs to show up.

I suspect we will see Bolton and Carkner in the lineup. I think for the Islanders to have any chance regardless of opposition they need to take some starch out of the sails of whomever.

In the case of the Penguins, I think the way you beat them is by playing a very and I mean VERY physical game. I think you take the cuffs off Bolton, Carker, Martin, Colin McDonald and Cizikas. I think those players need to hit everything in sight, and then, hit them again. I think that is largely how the Flyers did it last year.

Target #1 Cindy Crosby. I think Tavares will be target one and I believe if the Islanders go after Crosby, it could do enough to rattle the Pens off their game some and create opportunity. I am not suggesting injure him. I am suggesting that checks are finished. HARD CHECKS but CLEAN.

Obviously, the Islanders will have their hands full with Letang, Cooke, Malkin and the rest of the criminal enterprise known as the Penguins. Bottom line the Islanders need to play similarly to fight-night. Take the Pens off their game with physical play. But do so CLEANLY.

In the Bruins, I think there is a different issue. Rask is solid, and the Bs have size up and down the line-up. Typically we don't fare well against teams with a lot of size. I think blocking shots will be big for the Isles along with keeping the Bs along the edges. Chara is a factor always, and we need to thank the worlds biggest a__hole for that trade, and what do you know... he works with the Bs.

Lots of fans are saying the Isles have zero chance. OK. That's fine. But the games are played for a reason. Go Isles!
I can see maybe Boulton or Carkner in the series but not both at the same time. Carkner is just too dam slow and Boulton is useless except for dropping the gloves. If we play the Pens then the last thing you want is to give them too many PP's. They will run us out of the building.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

For selfish reasons I'd rather see them play the Bruins. Simply because if they play the Pens I will be blacked out on GCL and have to watch on Root Sports. If I have to watch on Root Sports I will not make it through the series.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:30 PM
blinkman360
Norris

Pittsburgh. Reason: ****** it.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:22 PM
No Need To Vanek

Pens. Beat the best, to be the best.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:42 PM
isleskovalchuk

No matter what, Nabakov has to be on the top of his game otherwise we are in trouble. He is the key,and goaltending can win in the playoffs

Old
04-28-2013, 07:56 PM
macleod50

vCash: 330
Pens. Can't stand the team or most of their fanbase. A repeat of '93 would be great. Grabner netting the winner in game 7.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:00 PM
19NYSports91

Both teams will be very tough to beat so it doesn't really matter. I think the Islanders would have a tougher time beating the Bruins because imo they don't match up well against them. I just want this team to play very hard and give it their all, if they do that I will be happy.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:12 PM
BMOK33

The Bruins are spending more time in the box than Wilt Chamberlain

Old
04-28-2013, 08:21 PM
JTROCKS

Bruins are just so big--- dont like the matchup at all !!!

Old
04-28-2013, 08:43 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFan23 View Post
This, I'd rather play Crosby "fresh" off an injury rather than in the second round after he has 5/6/7 games under his belt.
Well, they still show highlights from the last time we played Crosby "fresh" off an injury

Old
04-28-2013, 08:47 PM
BMOK33

And there's the rookie gaff...allowing a goal at the worst possible time, would not be surprised if Boston wins this game now

Old
04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Puckzilla13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Well, they still show highlights from the last time we played Crosby "fresh" off an injury
This.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:07 PM
IslesFan23

Wow that was quick tied at 2

Old
04-28-2013, 09:08 PM
isleskovalchuk

damn 2-2, this could go either way now for us

Old
04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
BKIsles

If Micheal Haley is still available, Pens.

Actually, just the Pens in general. They're an excellent offensive team, but they're also the most smug team in the league. You can punch them in the mouth and catch them off guard, they're kind of like the bully in elementary school.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

I really don't know what to feel. Watching this game, the Bruins are scary. And the Penguins are... the Penguins. Pick your poison indeed.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:12 PM
BMOK33

At this point it better be a regulation win for Boston or Ottawa better win it in OT or a SO because if we're gonna get Pitt, at least we can get rewarded with Montreal in the 2nd round, assuming they even got by Otttawa.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKIsles View Post
If Micheal Haley is still available, Pens.

Actually, just the Pens in general. They're an excellent offensive team, but they're also the most smug team in the league. You can punch them in the mouth and catch them off guard, they're kind of like the bully in elementary school.
Huh? Haley plays for the Rangers.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

I don't care who the Islanders play. I am more worried about which Islander team is going to show up. If it's the team that battled to get into the playoffs then we have a chance. If it's the Islanders of old then we are screwed either way.

Closed Thread