HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Our 2008 Stanley Cup Run

Old
06-06-2013, 03:50 AM
hiptanaka

vCash: 500
Our 2008 Stanley Cup Run

After our unfortunate loss earlier today, I started thinking (for some reason) about our '08 Stanley Cup run. Our current stars were younger and less experienced then they are now, we were not as deep as we are now, and we were not as talented as we are now. Fleury was unproven yet looked elite for most of the run, and our defense looked like it was designed by Claude Julien himself. Up until the finals, we were just dominant and ruthlessly methodical when we overran our first 3 opponents, each in no more than 5 games. Even in the finals, for a team as young and inexperienced as we were, we managed to take the series to 6 games (and nearly tie it at the last second).

I remember in particular the team mentality and resilience, always putting up a fight no matter the odds or the enemies. In one of our games in the second round, we fell behind 3-0 or 4-0 against the Rangers only to come storming back and winning the game without batting an eyelash.

What I'm partly wondering is, how much of this was attributable to Michel Therrien? And frankly, after witnessing our last several playoff runs, how much of our 2009 run was attributable to Therrien? He may have run his course at the end of his tenure, and that's something with which I'd concur, but he brought an element to this team that we never saw after he left.

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:55 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Quite a bit of it I'd say.

When we won with HCDB in '09 I really think it was just because he was in the right place at the right time.

Since the '09 Cup he's had 4 years and what do we have to show for it playoff wise with him at the helm??? **** all except for 3 early playoff exits and an impending ECF sweep.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:59 AM
SidTheKid8787

MT certainly built the foundation for the '09 Cup winning team.

DB just brought the right attitude into the locker room when the team needed it the most.

All coaches have a shelf life.

Time to turn the page.

On to the next one.

SidTheKid8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:01 AM
Honour Over Glory

I hate to say it, but the team misses Jordan Staal.

The Pens grinded those teams down that year, you faced Sid's line, then Geno's line and then Staal's line was out and sometimes after that, the 4th line and then back to Geno or Sid's line.

That was a lot to deal with and with the way Therrien rolled them. Therrien brought in structure and discipline, something that was desperately needed with the franchise for decades.

Then Bylsma came in, the guy that is easier to talk to, a friendlier approach...which had the players feeling better and the team had results in the regular season, but when they lost their cool in the playoffs, it seemed as though Bylsma was never able to be the disciplinarian that Therrien was.

What I mean is, Tippett will be a great coach here, also an ex-Penguin.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
MT certainly built the foundation for the '09 Cup winning team.

DB just brought the right attitude into the locker room when the team needed it the most.

All coaches have a shelf life.

Time to turn the page.

On to the next one.
Disco loosened up that MT system too. IMO the 2008 Pens were better than the 2009 team but the Wings just killed the Pens when they sat back and trapped. Bylsma let the Pens forecheck and that hybrid system is what won the cup.

Then Bylsma's system slowly took over.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Marns
@SH_Hockey

It's a good question, and I think all we need to do is look across at what MT did with the Habs this season. They went from a horrible team last year to the #2 seed without overturning their roster.

Marns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Disco loosened up that MT system too. IMO the 2008 Pens were better than the 2009 team but the Wings just killed the Pens when they sat back and trapped. Bylsma let the Pens forecheck and that hybrid system is what won the cup.

Then Bylsma's system slowly took over.
I also think the playoff 2008 team was better than the 2009 team. One big difference was despite adding Hossa the Wings were quite a bit worse in 2009, especially defensively. Never thought i'd be saying it 5 years later, but this team sorely misses MT's structure.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Karnage420

of course we miss structure.
MT was the only reason we won the cup.

DB is a reg season wizard. all the dumb little things he does works soooo well in the regular season, but crumbles during playoff time.

i literally dont care if we squeak into the playoffs every year.
i dont care if crosby and malkin dont finish 1,2 in scoring every year
i just want a defensive minded system so we can win the damn cup.

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

I was rooting for you guys in the 08/09 finals so I am not being negative or anything.

The main reason you guys won that cup to me was your shut down pairing Gill and Schedari, if Shero kept or was able to keep those two I think your in another cup by now if not won a cup.

The fact is Fluery was great the defence was not full of offencive minded guys on the top 2 pairs.

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:33 PM
KHstrike

I think it was many things. Having Scuderi is a big one honestly. Much better defensive structure, and also they had a cycle game. The 3 center model worked so well grinding them shift after shift with brutal cycles. Now they don't cycle whatsoever. Everything is off the rush.

KHstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I hate to say it, but the team misses Jordan Staal.

The Pens grinded those teams down that year, you faced Sid's line, then Geno's line and then Staal's line was out and sometimes after that, the 4th line and then back to Geno or Sid's line.

That was a lot to deal with and with the way Therrien rolled them. Therrien brought in structure and discipline, something that was desperately needed with the franchise for decades.

Then Bylsma came in, the guy that is easier to talk to, a friendlier approach...which had the players feeling better and the team had results in the regular season, but when they lost their cool in the playoffs, it seemed as though Bylsma was never able to be the disciplinarian that Therrien was.

Brings up a good point. Anybody remember any Penguin losing his **** in a game that Therrien coached?

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:36 PM

Right now, the Pens have great players a good team. Coaching makes great players turn into great teams. We need that.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
According to NHL Network Tippett has already said he's not ready to leave PHX.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:41 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
I was rooting for you guys in the 08/09 finals so I am not being negative or anything.

The main reason you guys won that cup to me was your shut down pairing Gill and Schedari, if Shero kept or was able to keep those two I think your in another cup by now if not won a cup.

The fact is Fluery was great the defence was not full of offencive minded guys on the top 2 pairs.
I love me some Scuds, but we get killed on the counterattack after turnovers now, which is a puck management issue. Scuds was a black hole in terms of offensive puck management. And Gill wasn't particularly more effective than Doug Murray at the same.

Bottom line--even though the team gives up a lot of goals, it's mostly to blame on decision-making by the forwards and the system. Although Kris Letang does deserve special mention as a D who creates for the other team too.

Old
06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
of course he isn't. his contract doesn't expire until June 30th.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:44 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Is this new? Everything I've heard from Tippett is the wishy-washy non-commital-commitals that Hossa used to make on his way to Free Agency.

"I like it here and there's a good chance I'll stay...when will I sign and extension...er...it's complicated...lot of things to consider"

type stuff. Doesn't mean he's coming here, but his statements of dedication to remaining in Phoenix seemed sort of iffy.

Old
06-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Ugene Malkin
Oh..Well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Brings up a good point. Anybody remember any Penguin losing his **** in a game that Therrien coached?
We were the aggressor, but they were now, too. The discipline is the factor. They have 24 to 27 year old guys with 12 year old mentalities.

Another note: MT didn't have the horses to run that system DB got to take credit for after bringing in Kunitz and Guerin. He certainly didn't have the trouble the year before with adequate wingers.

Having your boss as your BFF is not the best thing in the world.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:57 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post

Well you're wrong.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:29 PM
hiptanaka

Another thing I forgot to mention - how is that, under Shero's first season as GM, Therrien manages to led the team to the 4th best turnaround in league history, lead them to the Stanley Cup Finals in the next season, and then get canned the year after that?

Meanwhile, Bylsma has been at the helm for some pretty embarrassing playoff exits the last several years, yet gets to stay?

hiptanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Is this new? Everything I've heard from Tippett is the wishy-washy non-commital-commitals that Hossa used to make on his way to Free Agency.
This morning on NHL Network. Not sure who asked him or how they got the quote.

Old
06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiptanaka View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention - how is that, under Shero's first season as GM, Therrien manages to led the team to the 4th best turnaround in league history, lead them to the Stanley Cup Finals in the next season, and then get canned the year after that?

Meanwhile, Bylsma has been at the helm for some pretty embarrassing playoff exits the last several years, yet gets to stay?
Therrien "lost the locker room" and they were sitting in 10th place.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 05:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:

There is the "Disco has dirty pictures of Shero (or Mario) and some high priced hookers" theory. Of course, Adams also has pictures of Bylsma with puck bunnies according to this theory... so if Shero or Mario gets together with Adams... it shouldn't be a problem.

Old
06-06-2013, 05:38 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:

Because Disco is just such a nice guy!

Seriously, though... as dumb as it sounds, I really do think that's the root of a lot of it. He's also really not stupid. He knows the game very well and is able to discuss and convey that in a "common" way. He's a very relatable and likable human being. That goes a long way.

He just isn't the right coach for this team, is all. He's just... more of an assistant-type. At least, right now. They've wasted enough years on him trying to catch up to the curve. It's a shame in some ways... especially since we'll have to continue to endure he and his cronies' brand of stubborn, play-it-by-ear and often bizarre coaching.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Pancakes

I don't disagree with the original poster's ideas and I've been thinking the same thing for a while. MT was a good coach, and I thought we looked better in 08 than 09. We got lucky to win in 09 coming back from down 0-2 twice and frankly getting lucky in the Detroit series to win as I thought they outplayed us.

Having said all that, I find it funny how much people are backpedaling on Therrien now. I remember how hard the board was on him during 09. It was brutal. It was every bit as bad as the Bylsma hate now.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 08:31 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Won't catch me doing that, at least. He needed to go.

Iron Mike had his virtues but he turned into poison, pretty quickly. I suspect the Habs are in for the same. Though not after some success.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote