HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders recall eight players from Sound Tigers

Old
04-28-2013, 11:44 AM
stranger34

vCash: 500
Playoff Roster

Are there any set parameters as to how many players can be named?

I just saw that the Islanders called up a whole slew of young players including Strome, Nelson and Donovan.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:47 AM
srednalsi

Islanders recall eight players from Sound Tigers

The New York Islanders announced today that eight players have been recalled from loan from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Forwards Brock Nelson, John Persson, Ryan Strome and Johan Sundstrom, as well as defensemen Matt Donovan, Calvin de Haan, Aaron Ness and goaltender Anders Nilsson will join the Islanders for the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I didn't see it posted yet.

DISCUSS...

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

srednalsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Hip Of Rick
Snow Must Go!

vCash: 50
I wonder if DP will be around the team. It says something that he wasn't "called up"

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:04 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
I wonder if DP will be around the team. It says something that he wasn't "called up"
very interesting he wasn't called up and Nilsson was. makes me think there's a locker room issue.

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:10 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by srednalsi View Post
The New York Islanders announced today that eight players have been recalled from loan from the Bridgeport Sound Tigers. Forwards Brock Nelson, John Persson, Ryan Strome and Johan Sundstrom, as well as defensemen Matt Donovan, Calvin de Haan, Aaron Ness and goaltender Anders Nilsson will join the Islanders for the 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

DISCUSS...

Someone posted in the ST thread, that Nino's joining the Swiss team for the WC.

Hopefully, he logs plenty of top 6 mins going up against players like Eberle, Stastny, Hall and Bishop.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

You know what? I'm sure I'll get crucified for this post, and this is probably a textbook example of why none of us are NHL coaches, but I'd like to see Cappy make a ballsy move. Now I'm not sure what the contract situation is and if the six game tryout and burning a year off the ELC is an issue then consider what I'm about to say null and void.

Put Strome in on the first line with Moulson and Tavares in one practice. I know he's a center, but I'm almost positive I read that he was putting in some time at wing in Bridgeport and was doing really well. Most likely scenario? It's a disaster, he looks lost, and the idea is dropped altogether. But what if he steps right in, keeps up with Tavares, and looks like he could offer a serious improvement over what that line is now?

The first line is a disaster. Barely above average offensively ONLY because of Tavares and an absolute trainwreck in the defensive zone. Brad Boyes has proven night in and night out he is the most useless player on this team. Set the tone going in that there's no place in the lineup for dead weight in the playoffs.

Is this a stupid idea? Absolutely if you're looking at it from the perspective of Strome's development, locker room chemistry, and creating distractions going into the biggest games this team has played in six years. But if it works? I think it's the kind of move that can turn a pretty good team into a great team and be a catalyst for a deep playoff run.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:18 PM
2ndGenIslander
Free Broadway Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey Hockey View Post
You know what? I'm sure I'll get crucified for this post, and this is probably a textbook example of why none of us are NHL coaches, but I'd like to see Cappy make a ballsy move. Now I'm not sure what the contract situation is and if the six game tryout and burning a year off the ELC is an issue then consider what I'm about to say null and void.

Put Strome in on the first line with Moulson and Tavares in one practice. I know he's a center, but I'm almost positive I read that he was putting in some time at wing in Bridgeport and was doing really well. Most likely scenario? It's a disaster, he looks lost, and the idea is dropped altogether. But what if he steps right in, keeps up with Tavares, and looks like he could offer a serious improvement over what that line is now?

The first line is a disaster. Barely above average offensively ONLY because of Tavares and an absolute trainwreck in the defensive zone. Brad Boyes has proven night in and night out he is the most useless player on this team. Set the tone going in that there's no place in the lineup for dead weight in the playoffs.

Is this a stupid idea? Absolutely if you're looking at it from the perspective of Strome's development, locker room chemistry, and creating distractions going into the biggest games this team has played in six years. But if it works? I think it's the kind of move that can turn a pretty good team into a great team and be a catalyst for a deep playoff run.
Not a bad idea at all, strome and tavares would work well together. Boyes is a complete waste out there, truly an embarrasment to start this guy on the first line of a playoff team

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:20 PM
iggy

Quote:

They should have tried something 2 weeks ago when it was obvious that the first line was sturuggling. My grandmother could help Tavares more then Boyes and no--she is not available.

iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Hershey Hockey
#AskNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
They should have tried something 2 weeks ago when it was obvious that the first line was sturuggling. My grandmother could help Tavares more then Boyes and no--she is not available.
I 100 percent agree, but unfortunately it's the same situation I'm always in when I procrastinate and leave every single paper I have to write until 10PM the night before. Could and should have easily been dealt with two weeks ago, but the fact of the matter is they didn't and now they're down to the wire and something still has to be done.

I really think a fixed first line and the right personnel on the fourth line will be the different between a first round exit or making a run and doing some damage in the postseason.

Hershey Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Renbarg

Quote:

Those guys won't even be practicing with the team. I'm not a fan of making too many moves. JT likes that right handed shot, we can't move KO because that lines has been amazing. The only other option would be McDonald, and I'm not sure that would be a good move.

Strome is not even going to travel with the team to Boston, he's booked for a playoff viewing party.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:03 PM
MichaelK

This is merely depth in case someone gets hurt (because you really do not want Boulton or Reasoner playing) and Anders Lee was not ready yet in his limited time on the ice. All goes according to plan none of them will play

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:20 PM
Groin Of Bates

Quote:
I 100 percent agree, but unfortunately it's the same situation I'm always in when I procrastinate and leave every single paper I have to write until 10PM the night before. Could and should have easily been dealt with two weeks ago, but the fact of the matter is they didn't and now they're down to the wire and something still has to be done.

I really think a fixed first line and the right personnel on the fourth line will be the different between a first round exit or making a run and doing some damage in the postseason.
2 COMPLETELY different scenarios butttt.....

.....worked with Kreider last year.

Groin Of Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:28 PM
Jester9881

Practice? Certainly
In a real game? Not what I want to see

Say what you want about Boyes, but he's leaps and bounds more experienced than Strome/Nelson. He's also a reason why the Islanders are in the playoffs, like it or not.

There's more to winning than numbers on a piece of paper. These guys have gone to war together, fought hard to get to the playoffs.... and at the very least, deserve the chance to win together.

Strome has what? 10 professional games under his belt? I'm not willing to risk putting him in that situation (1st line wing), in the playoffs against Cooke, Chara, Lucic etc. Burn a year off his ELC so he can get manhandled? Nah

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:43 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Practice? Certainly
In a real game? Not what I want to see

Say what you want about Boyes, but he's leaps and bounds more experienced than Strome/Nelson. He's also a reason why the Islanders are in the playoffs, like it or not.

There's more to winning than numbers on a piece of paper. These guys have gone to war together, fought hard to get to the playoffs.... and at the very least, deserve the chance to win together.

Strome has what? 10 professional games under his belt? I'm not willing to risk putting him in that situation (1st line wing), in the playoffs against Cooke, Chara, Lucic etc. Burn a year off his ELC so he can get manhandled? Nah
Couldn't agree more. Boyes is the only player on our top two lines with ANY playoff experience. A whopping 11 games... As flawed as the first line is, handing that spot to a kid who hasn't earned it is a big mistake.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:46 PM
19NYSports91

Ullstrom?

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:49 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:

Not a stupid idea at all, I keep thinking about it as well, but I don't see them doing it for some reason. I could see them putting him on the 3rd line on RW and move McDonald down to the 4th line.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Not a stupid idea at all, I keep thinking about it as well, but I don't see them doing it for some reason. I could see them putting him on the 3rd line on RW and move McDonald down to the 4th line.
Yes, "some" reason being that you do not make radical changes at this point. You go with the guys who got you there. As flawed as it is, this is the team we got. Let's see what happens. The kids will get there chance and will be rewarded when they earn it. You don't hand out first line spots in the NHL playoffs.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Ullstrom?

He was called up over a week ago.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:12 PM
LaddyBuck
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
Yes, "some" reason being that you do not make radical changes at this point. You go with the guys who got you there. As flawed as it is, this is the team we got. Let's see what happens. The kids will get there chance and will be rewarded when they earn it. You don't hand out first line spots in the NHL playoffs.
I'm closer to this perspective on it....though if Boyes totally poops the bed bad enough to make trying to catch some 'lightning in a bottle' semi-logical, Strome isn't the player I'd bring in first, but I'd consider it IF every other possibility for #1 RW was a non-starter. He'd have to show mind-numbing chemistry and above all else, awareness in practice. It doesn't help us for Strome to get his head taken off by Matt Cooke.

LaddyBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:

DISCUSS...

A lot more call ups than I expected.

04-28-2013, 03:23 PM
bigtim1988
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Quote:

DISCUSS...

I'm surprised Niederiter wasn't part of this....that trade thing musta really pissed snow off, I'm willing to bet big money he's gone at the draft
Quote:

I'm down for giving this a shot, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but boyes really needs to step it up

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:36 PM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post
I'm surprised Niederiter wasn't part of this....that trade thing musta really pissed snow off, I'm willing to bet big money he's gone at the draft

I'm down for giving this a shot, maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but boyes really needs to step it up
I'll take that bet.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:46 PM
bigd

Usually those players won't even practice with the team. They go on the ice separately just to keep in shape if needed due to injuries.

bigd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
SI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
this...

I would have liked to see it before the playoffs...The 2nd line was carrying u anyway so its not like it would f hurt our chances...

I don't mind seeing Strome or Nelson in case of an Injury but I don't think I would throw either of them on the top line...

ALSO I see de Hann was recalled...has he recovered from his injury?

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:08 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
this...

ALSO I see de Hann was recalled...has he recovered from his injury?
De Haan was practicing with the team, near the end of the season.

I've no idea whether he got into a late season game.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote