HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Roster Talk '13 — Finland

Old
05-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Loffer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarry Curry View Post
Jesus..
Yeah call Haula. I can't decide are you stupid or insane.
The ****'s a college kid, who didn't even have a great season do?
Absolutely nothing.
This Haula bashing is ridiculous. The kid deserves a chance.Just get Haula or Granlund, Jalonen. We don't ask, we demand.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 10:22 PM
smi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
Yes, Haula would be a great add to the mix. Interesting player. This team lacks interesting players and Haula would surely be one. Either Granlund or Haula - and if Granlund cannot come Jalonen should call Haula. Haula is up there with Granlund.
As our 'mix' has mostly been a combination of subpar performance and utter inadequacy to play at this level, I agree that Haula would be a great add to the 'mix', since he, with his astounding 11 games of pro experience, would be likely to excel in both of those qualities.

I also agree that he would gather interested reactions at this tournament, such as: "Look at that guy, seems like he's in over his head here! I'm interested as to why they even called that guy to their team?"

smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 03:08 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I see Haula as a promising player. No need to destroy his confidence by throwing him in a level way above his head.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:55 AM
RorschachWJK

Our play has been terrible, never mind the points gotten. Unless the whole team finds another gear, the US is going to destroy this team tomorrow and same with Russia later.

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 07:21 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Viitaluoma doesn't belong in this tournament, period. If he was young and promising then i might change my mind but he's 32. He is supposed to help this team now but as a much better option i see bringing Hytonen up on the depth chart, drop Viitaluoma and use Lahti as the 4th line C.

I dont get it. I guess Jalonen believes that he will get it going at some point but let me tell you something. This is how good Viitaluoma is. There won't be any magical new gear. He's a tweener on this team. Supposedly a top 6 center but isn't good enough for that role. And not better defensively than Lahti for a bottom 6 role.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Finnpin

USA game tomorrow:

Raanta starts as expected
Anttila in, Haataja out
Koskiranta 2nd line
Viitaluoma 3rd line

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:10 AM
JJTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
USA game tomorrow:

Raanta starts as expected
Anttila in, Haataja out
Koskiranta 2nd line
Viitaluoma 3rd line
Pesonen - Kontiola - Aaltonen
Korpikoski - Koskiranta - Salminen
Savinainen - Viitaluoma - Pihlström
Hagman - Hytönen - Anttila

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Fin9*

Viitaluoma and Haataja are prob. the most useless players out there,

since the Great One.

AKA Kalle Kerman.

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 08:38 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin9 View Post

since the Great One.

AKA Kalle Kerman.
Contested by Laakso, Hytönen and Hagman...

RorschachWJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
smi

Hopefully Koskiranta can keep up with the 2nd line, as Viitaluoma clearly could not. But so far, despite getting more icetime than Viitaluoma, Koskiranta has amounted to nothing offensively, while being on the ice for every even strength goal scored against us.

I'm not saying the center change shouldn't have been done, because everyone with half a brain knows it's the right thing to do. But I am saying that we're replacing a player who has been a non-factor with another player who has been a non-factor.

It's not necessarily an upgrade in skill or ability, but it could be an upgrade in line chemistry, and that's why the change had to be made. We're hoping that Koskiranta is a better fit to the 2nd line, and I personally feel that he will be, but I think we'll have to wait and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorschachWJK View Post
Contested by Laakso, Hytönen and Hagman...
I disagree with you there. He's our 4th line center, and he has done an alright job with his limited icetime, in my opinion. He's been our best faceoff guy, in addition to being solid on the penalty kill. He's not expected to score points.

Last edited by smi: 05-07-2013 at 11:16 AM.
smi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 11:20 AM
Jaymond Flurrie

Here's a source to Finland's lineup against USA:

http://www.yle.fi/tekstitv/html/P619_01.html

Jaymond Flurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:08 PM
mattihp

Quote:

since the Great One.

AKA Kalle Kerman.

Not even close to Toni Sihvonen...

Old
05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Fin9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Not even close to Toni Sihvonen...
Aah. Captain turd-sandwich almost forgot about him.

Fin9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 12:17 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Aah. Captain turd-sandwich almost forgot about him.
I think Czech businessmen must've had a plan. Bribed him onto the national team to make that beautiful pass to a czech player (was it Rucinsky?)...

First time even swedes thoughts FINLAND deserved the gold...

Old
05-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Killerinstinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reini29 View Post
Viitaluoma doesn't belong in this tournament, period. If he was young and promising then i might change my mind but he's 32. He is supposed to help this team now but as a much better option i see bringing Hytonen up on the depth chart, drop Viitaluoma and use Lahti as the 4th line C.

I dont get it. I guess Jalonen believes that he will get it going at some point but let me tell you something. This is how good Viitaluoma is. There won't be any magical new gear. He's a tweener on this team. Supposedly a top 6 center but isn't good enough for that role. And not better defensively than Lahti for a bottom 6 role.
Viitaluoma has scored one goal, something that those other players will not do. It sucks to be one line team though.

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 04:35 PM
ugrimugri*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
I never said Haula's a surefire solution to our problems. I'm quite happy that Jalonen sits on the final pass until it becomes clear that we can't get any of Koivu, Granlund or Filppula. And in the case we don't, it'll go to Miika Lahti.
What about Joensuu - is he injured or just a healthy scratch atm?
If he is not battling some injury, and neither M Koivu nor Granlund is joining, I would like to see Jesse J. representing the Leijonat again this year, I'm pretty sure that nobody has any complaints regarding his effort and results in last year's WHC and I'd guess that the Pens will eliminate the Isles in a few days + Joensuu probably is willing to come, if healthy

Last edited by ugrimugri*: 05-07-2013 at 04:42 PM.
ugrimugri* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:07 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettu View Post
Viitaluoma has scored one goal, something that those other players will not do. It sucks to be one line team though.
Against France... When we play the bigger countries Hytonen might not score but he's going to create more chances for his wingers with his defensive awareness and underrated playmaking abilility than Viitaluoma. He can keep up with the speed.

And well Lahti would be the 4th line C so he's not supposed to score. But fits the position better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrimugri View Post
If he is not battling some injury, and neither M Koivu nor Granlund is joining, I would like to see Jesse J. representing the Leijonat again this year, I'm pretty sure that nobody has any complaints regarding his effort and results in last year's WHC and I'd guess that the Pens will eliminate the Isles in a few days + Joensuu probably is willing to come, if healthy
Islanders are still in the playoffs and even if the Pens win the next 2 games Jesse would most likely be available for the game against Latvia (our last game before the quarterfinals).

If no one else is coming yeah why not. But he's not going to get us the gold this year

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2013, 05:24 PM
ugrimugri*

Quote:
Islanders are still in the playoffs and even if the Pens win the next 2 games Jesse would most likely be available for the game against Latvia (our last game before the quarterfinals).

If no one else is coming yeah why not. But he's not going to get us the gold this year
Well, it looks like the QF game will be vs the USA and we saw last year that Joensuu is a guy who really is a big help in the games vs NA teams... so he might be the difference between losing the QF or winning it

Of course, if you can get M Koivu or Granny, then you take one of them. But don't count Minnesota out yet, I hope and actually also think the Wild ties it up next game and it probably goes to a Game 7 in that series...

BTW: There's also a pretty good chance that Komarov is available soon...

ugrimugri* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Well, it looks like the QF game will be vs the USA and we saw last year that Joensuu is a guy who really is a big help in the games vs NA teams... so he might be the difference between losing the QF or winning it

Of course, if you can get M Koivu or Granny, then you take one of them. But don't count Minnesota out yet, I hope and actually also think the Wild ties it up next game and it probably goes to a Game 7 in that series...

BTW: There's also a pretty good chance that Komarov is available soon...
Honestly, I think we need to count Mikko out in any case. It looks like he's playing with an injury and it doesn't look like a minor one. Right now I'd say Granlund's the best option Jalonen has. Komarov's not a solution to the 2nd line C spot. He can play center, but he's got hands of stone. And I think Detroit's going to end up winning the series, so no Filppula. So, if there's anyone coming to take the last spot, I'm willing to bet it's going to be MiG.

Gaps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 04:09 AM
Killerinstinct

Quote:
Against France... When we play the bigger countries Hytonen might not score but he's going to create more chances for his wingers with his defensive awareness and underrated playmaking abilility than Viitaluoma. He can keep up with the speed.

And well Lahti would be the 4th line C so he's not supposed to score. But fits the position better.
I like to see Viitaluoma over Hytönen because he has now confidence to maybe score more goals.

Killerinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:47 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Joensuu, despite last year, would hardly be profiled as a clutch player for this team. Besides, Finland, as usual has had no trouble whatsoever with the current grinder role picks. Hagman, Savinainen and Pihlström have all done an adequate job. Anttila - well, he could be one to be replaced, but only because he's still an unknown. He held onto his own in the game vs. Germany, but only tonight we will know his true worth.

Besides, the schedule will play a role here. If someone comes, he'll be in only for the game vs. Latvia on Tuesday and the QF - well, with very sped up movement one could make it to Saturday's game vs. Austria. If you add a player from outside the set squad that late, he needs to be someone you really need, rather than just an improvement over a good enough guy you already have.

I think Komarov might get a pass if he became available, but only after all the 2nd line C options have been exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
Honestly, I think we need to count Mikko out in any case. It looks like he's playing with an injury and it doesn't look like a minor one. Right now I'd say Granlund's the best option Jalonen has. Komarov's not a solution to the 2nd line C spot. He can play center, but he's got hands of stone. And I think Detroit's going to end up winning the series, so no Filppula. So, if there's anyone coming to take the last spot, I'm willing to bet it's going to be MiG.
Agreed. It's been my mindset for a while. Have to keep mentioning Mikko and Fil for as long as they are technically on the books, but in reality, there is only one who appears plausible and not only slightly possible. And that is Granlund.

Last edited by FiLe: 05-08-2013 at 06:52 AM.
FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 11:46 AM
YARR123

Quote:
I see Haula as a promising player. No need to destroy his confidence by throwing him in a level way above his head.
That's not the case, WC level isn't way above his head. He would most likely be a very solid SM-liiga player. Most likely however Haula wouldn't bring much to the team, though I think he would probably do just fine.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 05:56 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

So, we have a 2C now. Woo. What was next on the priority list? Hmm... it reads here: A good PP QB for 2nd unit.

Go Red Wings?

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
So, we have a 2C now. Woo. What was next on the priority list? Hmm... it reads here: A good PP QB for 2nd unit.

Go Red Wings?
? Fill me in!

Old
05-08-2013, 06:35 PM
Chileiceman

Quote:
It would be no different than what USA has done with Trouba, Kristo and Gibson. And they seem to be doing alright for themselves.

Chileiceman is online now   Reply With Quote