HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NYI trying to get to Brooklyn in 2014-2015

Old
04-08-2013, 09:42 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
NYI trying to get to Brooklyn in 2014-2015

Two interesting reports from Point Blank.

1.Isles are expected to start discussions with Nassau County pols, trying to get out of their current lease 1 yr early.

2. Isles are offering free first round playoffs tixs, to current STH who'll buy a two yr STH deal. That offer comes with an asterisk. It states that fans can receive refunds or credits if the team plays regular season games outside of the Coliseum in the next two years.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...ly/#more-40134
Sources: Islanders Looking at Bolting for Brooklyn a Year Early
April 8th, 2013 9:58 am
Over the next several months, the Islanders and Nassau County are expected to discuss the possibility of the hockey team getting out of its Nassau Coliseum lease a year early. If they strike a deal, the Islanders would begin play at Barclays Center in Brooklyn at the start of the 2014-15 season.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...es/#more-40062
Islanders Offer Free Playoff Tixs to Retain Current Season Ticket Holders, Hint at Non-NVMC Games
At the end of the plan outline, there’s a huge ‘please note’ section that is essentially an asterisk. It states that fans can receive refunds or credits if the team plays regular season games outside of the Coliseum in the next two years. So, if the Islanders play regular season games in Europe or move to Brooklyn anytime before the end of the 2014-15 season, fans who paid for games at the Coliseum will be reimbursed. Of course, it doesn’t specifically say the word ‘Brooklyn’ anywhere in that section so assuming that’s what they had in mind is conjecture.

However, on twitter one fan said he had spoken with a ticket rep who told him that section of the letter “is in reference to Brooklyn… You can get a refund for the difference for the 2nd season or carry the money over to Brooklyn.”

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 09:46 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I knew this was coming since the day the move was announced.

Once they reach an agreement on moving early expect an announcement of the sale of the team to the Nets/Barclay's group.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:23 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
NICE!

Get it done Isles! Lets get the hell out of NVMC and start fresh in Brooklyn.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I knew this was coming since the day the move was announced.

Once they reach an agreement on moving early expect an announcement of the sale of the team to the Nets/Barclay's group.
That would be sweet music. It would mean a quantum leap. Honestly, the organization would have to beat the UFA's off like monkeys.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
The Korean*

It would be nice but I am skeptical about Mikhail buying the Isles. I will believe it once he signs the deal and its approved by NHL BOG.

Old
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Makes sense. Why sit around when there is a spanky new arena down the road?

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:10 PM
The Korean*

What if the Isles refused to pay Nassau or whoever it is that owns the Coliseum, the rent? What are they gonna do, evict them?

Old
04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
What if the Isles refused to pay Nassau or whoever it is that owns the Coliseum, the rent? What are they gonna do, evict them?
umm, sue?

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:18 PM
StrongIslanders90

a bit OT but not really...

The Ice is Known to be very bad at NVMC ...My question is in an new Arena will it be upgraded if possible?

What needs to happen in order to have a great ice surface?

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:36 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
a bit OT but not really...

The Ice is Known to be very bad at NVMC ...My question is in an new Arena will it be upgraded if possible?

What needs to happen in order to have a great ice surface?
Madison square garden is widely regarded as having the worst ice surface in the league because they have so many events in the building. Constantly setting up stages / nba courts over top of the ice takes its toll. Plus I think part of the issue is the rink is several floors above ground level. Anyway, after the billion $ renovation the ice is still considered bad at MSG. So I'm thinking sometimes the issue is more to do with externalities than ice making abilities.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:15 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Madison square garden is widely regarded as having the worst ice surface in the league because they have so many events in the building. Constantly setting up stages / nba courts over top of the ice takes its toll. Plus I think part of the issue is the rink is several floors above ground level. Anyway, after the billion $ renovation the ice is still considered bad at MSG. So I'm thinking sometimes the issue is more to do with externalities than ice making abilities.
I can concur that sharing an arena with an NBA team definitely reduces the ice quality.

The already sub par ice at the then San Jose Arena got significantly worse in '96-'97, the year the Sharks shared the arena with the Warriors while the then Oakland Coliseum Arena was being gutted/renovated.

And don't get me started on how the Warriors fans trashed the arena - broken seats/cup holders, holes kicked in walls, general less than cleanliness of the floors, etc.

Last edited by kdb209: 04-08-2013 at 01:27 PM.
kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:25 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
It would be nice but I am skeptical about Mikhail buying the Isles. I will believe it once he signs the deal and its approved by NHL BOG.
I would assume Ratner would have the controlling interest, not really Prokhorov, but who knows? Having a Russian Billionaire in your corner isn't exactly a bad thing. The NHL can't really afford to be too picky with their ownership these days once the checks clear. They're getting to put a storied franchise into the 4th largest "City" in the country in the most modern arena on the Planet. Win/win all around.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:29 PM
The Korean*

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
umm, sue?
Whats the court gonna do though, eviction is a likely outcome if Isles can cook the book and say they cant pay the rent for next two years or whatever.

Quote:
I would assume Ratner would have the controlling interest, not really Prokhorov, but who knows? Having a Russian Billionaire in your corner isn't exactly a bad thing. The NHL can't really afford to be too picky with their ownership these days once the checks clear. They're getting to put a storied franchise into the 4th largest "City" in the country in the most modern arena on the Planet. Win/win all around.
Its not so much if NHL wants Prokohrov to own a team, but rather is Mikhail interested in a NHL team? If he is then the Isles is as good as his once the money is sorted out with Wang.

Old
04-08-2013, 01:46 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Wang is locked into a very strong Nassau lease, that actually calls for possible jail time if he breaks it. He's said several times,as recently as the Brooklyn presser, that he will honor that lease.He wants to get to Brooklyn and the chance to make a profit as soon as he can.

Nassau County has plans for the Coliseum land, post-NYI. The County wants to develop that land and hopes to break ground by the end of 2013 on a $2 billion biotech park and mixed-use development.
Both sides benefit if they can reach an agreement. I doubt either side is looking for a court fight.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Dado

vCash:
And change the name to "Brooklyn", please!

Old
04-08-2013, 02:10 PM
The Korean*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang is locked into a very strong Nassau lease, that actually calls for possible jail time if he breaks it. He's said several times,as recently as the Brooklyn presser, that he will honor that lease.He wants to get to Brooklyn and the chance to make a profit as soon as he can.

Nassau County has plans for the Coliseum land, post-NYI. The County wants to develop that land and hopes to break ground by the end of 2013 on a $2 billion biotech park and mixed-use development.
Both sides benefit if they can reach an agreement. I doubt either side is looking for a court fight.
Ah I see. No one should sign a lease like that.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Ah I see. No one should sign a lease like that.
That threat of jail time, was put into the lease in 1985. Well before Wang bought the team.
http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/NewYorkIslanders/

ISLANDERS' LEASE MAKE RELOCATION DIFFICULT
February 5, 2009
Copyright 2009 MediaVentures
The agreement says the Islanders can't play any home game during the regular season anywhere but the Nassau Coliseum, which is owned by the county, until 2015. And legal experts say the lease can't be broken by paying off the remaining years because the prohibition, written as part of the 1985 lease and upheld by a Nassau State Supreme Court justice in 1998, says the team's presence on Long Island is what's important.

If the owner attempted to move the team, Nassau County Attorney Lorna Goodman said, he could be held in contempt and face the possibility of jail time, high fines and the payment of any damages incurred by the county.

Old
04-08-2013, 02:52 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
No.....

Old
04-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
No.....
It would be good marketing and good revenue. Brooklyn is hot. Lots of folks outside the area would "adopt" the team/gear if it were a Brooklyn team.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:12 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

Quote:
It would be good marketing and good revenue. Brooklyn is hot. Lots of folks outside the area would "adopt" the team/gear if it were a Brooklyn team.
Newsflash: Brooklyn is in New York, and also geographically on Long Island. We don't need to change the location name of the team. We're moving all of 25 miles to the West. We're also a 40+ year old established franchise with a historic dynasty to our credit. We're not the New Jersey Nets, we aren't re-branding.

At most expect a "Brooklyn-ized" third jersey to replace that black and gray abomination we wear occasionally. Or a minor tweak to the logo that adds Brooklyn/Queens to the Nassau/Suffolk landmass on the existing logo.

Old
04-08-2013, 03:38 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
it makes sense that this would happen. If the isles expect a 20-30M boost playing in brooklyn, they can afford to split part of that pie with nasseau as part of a negotiated buyout. Everyone wins (financially).

04-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
You've got to be kidding...

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Newsflash: Brooklyn is in New York, and also geographically on Long Island.
Are you under the impression people aren't aware of that?

Quote:
We don't need to change the location name of the team.
No, you don't *need* to, and I didn't suggest otherwise.

I'm just saying that IF you do, there is a whole lot of marketing/revenue greenfield out there. I will never be a fan of the NYI - but I have strong emotional/business ties to Brooklyn so even though I am three time zones away, I *would* in fact adopt a Brooklyn hockey team as my "home away from home".

But it's got to be "Brooklyn Islanders" (or whatever), slapping a Brooklyn logo onto NYI ain't gonna cut for me.

Old
04-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Enigma Publius

Not only should they change the name to Brooklyn, they should ditch the orange and blue for black and white.

It's so hip.

Enigma Publius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:53 AM
BorzNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
That threat of jail time, was put into the lease in 1985. Well before Wang bought the team.
http://hockey.ballparks.com/NHL/NewYorkIslanders/

ISLANDERS' LEASE MAKE RELOCATION DIFFICULT
February 5, 2009
Copyright 2009 MediaVentures
The agreement says the Islanders can't play any home game during the regular season anywhere but the Nassau Coliseum, which is owned by the county, until 2015. And legal experts say the lease can't be broken by paying off the remaining years because the prohibition, written as part of the 1985 lease and upheld by a Nassau State Supreme Court justice in 1998, says the team's presence on Long Island is what's important.

If the owner attempted to move the team, Nassau County Attorney Lorna Goodman said, he could be held in contempt and face the possibility of jail time, high fines and the payment of any damages incurred by the county.
The difference though is that the Isles contend Nassau has been derelict of upkeep at the Coli and have stopped paying rent because of that.

Nassau wants cash. They will take a settlement for a buyout over having to refurb the coliseum to keep the rent coming in.

Also - the land around the coliseum is very valuable as one of the only parts of Nassau Real Estate that can be developed -- Nassau, I believe wants to move on and start life without the Isles as soon as possible.

BorzNYI is offline   Reply With Quote