Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2013, 11:25 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If that rumor has any legs, Watson or Bowey are the only guys that make sense IF Gio was going the other way and I'd still want a 1st in addition.
I just can't see us moving Gio for a prospect/pick at this moment. It just doesn't makes sense and I see two main issues:

1) We need to ice an NHL roster. We are already thin as hell on D, especially top pairing guys. If we move Gio without a roster guy coming back we are easily the worst D group in the league.

2) If we are moving Gio, it makes far more sense to move him at the deadline when hopefully, he plays up to expectations unlike last year.

I think if we move a D it will be Butler for a young RW.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:13 PM
OntFlamesFan

vCash: 500
Trade Gio? Really??

I'm getting the impression from reading this thread that many of you are in favour of trading away Giordano, are you crazy? I think there are 4 members of our "D" we ( they ) shouldn't move; Gio, Butler, Brodie & Wideman. Cundari, O'Brian & Smith and the rest are really only spare parts guys. Personally, I'd like the team to bring in a couple 'big' bodies for the "D" such as Cam Barker & Jeff Schultz, that way each of the smaller more offensively minded guys would have a big, stay at home guy paired with him ( Gio & Barker / Butler & Wideman / Brodie & Schultz ) would be a damned good defence IMHO.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:19 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntFlamesFan View Post
I'm getting the impression from reading this thread that many of you are in favour of trading away Giordano, are you crazy? I think there are 4 members of our "D" we ( they ) shouldn't move; Gio, Butler, Brodie & Wideman. Cundari, O'Brian & Smith and the rest are really only spare parts guys. Personally, I'd like the team to bring in a couple 'big' bodies for the "D" such as Cam Barker & Jeff Schultz, that way each of the smaller more offensively minded guys would have a big, stay at home guy paired with him ( Gio & Barker / Butler & Wideman / Brodie & Schultz ) would be a damned good defence IMHO.
Cam Barker? Seriously?

What makes Butler a piece that shouldn't be moved?

Old
07-17-2013, 12:20 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

vCash: 400
Quote:
Giordano is 29. He's in his prime now, but by the time we are a legitimate contender for the cup (probably 4 or 5 years down the road), he will likely have lost a step at the very least. With his value probably at its highest right now, especially if he starts the season well, and as a rebuilding team, we should absolutely be exploring potential return for his services.

Being in favour of trading a guy isn't always about not liking him or not thinking he makes our team better. The fact is that Giordano being a great defenceman on a great contract means that trading him would bring a very high return. We could, as you say, assemble together a defence like you have mentioned there, but what would that really get us? Another other option is to trade Giordano, and start putting together a defence that will reach its peak in 4 or 5 years.

Old
07-17-2013, 12:22 PM
OntFlamesFan

Forward lines?

I'm trying to picture a starting line combinations for Flames based on forwards they have signed at the moment, and as I envision it may look like this : Backlund between Glencross & Jones on top line. Stajan between Cammy & Stempniak on second, Horak between Baertshi & Reinhart on third. 4th line would be Jones between Hudler & Jackman. This could all be thrown for a loop if Feaster could land a better option for second line R/W such as a Milan Hejduk or Brad Boyes, or bring in a Damien Brunner to fight for a centre job. I don't see any of the young guns in prospect camp making it to the big team this year ( at least to start! ) so they'll have to ice a team from the signed guys I've listed above. Your thoughts :

Old
07-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
I'm trying to picture a starting line combinations for Flames based on forwards they have signed at the moment, and as I envision it may look like this : Backlund between Glencross & Jones on top line. Stajan between Cammy & Stempniak on second, Horak between Baertshi & Reinhart on third. 4th line would be Jones between Hudler & Jackman. This could all be thrown for a loop if Feaster could land a better option for second line R/W such as a Milan Hejduk or Brad Boyes, or bring in a Damien Brunner to fight for a centre job. I don't see any of the young guns in prospect camp making it to the big team this year ( at least to start! ) so they'll have to ice a team from the signed guys I've listed above. Your thoughts :
Here's a thread just for you!

Old
07-17-2013, 12:43 PM
OntFlamesFan

cont...

InfiniteIggy, I place Butler on the keepers list for a couple reasons #1 only fifth year in NHL with good potential, and as WFlames said re. Gio D-men are just hitting their stride/prime in the 27-29 yrs old bracket. #2 making just $1.25 mill per season, a relative bargain compared to most of the inflated salaries being paid to journeymen D around the league! #3 he's one of the few D-men they have thats over 6' tall / 200lbs / & has decent mobility for handling todays bigger quicker forwards. While guys like Wideman & O'Brian are as big or bigger, they don't have the wheels for todays game! and wFlames, I'm looking at it from perspective of Feasters comments saying he plans on team both rebuilding but also being able to compete & make play-offs this year. 2 or 3 more draft picks or another teams 3rd liner + a 4th rounder for Gio won't help now or the rebuild. I don't have faith in his ability to "win" a trade with anyone for Gio at this point!

Old
07-17-2013, 12:44 PM
OntFlamesFan

and wFlames, thanks for info on the line-ups thread!! greatly appreciated!

Old
07-17-2013, 12:50 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
InfiniteIggy, I place Butler on the keepers list for a couple reasons #1 only fifth year in NHL with good potential, and as WFlames said re. Gio D-men are just hitting their stride/prime in the 27-29 yrs old bracket. #2 making just $1.25 mill per season, a relative bargain compared to most of the inflated salaries being paid to journeymen D around the league! #3 he's one of the few D-men they have thats over 6' tall / 200lbs / & has decent mobility for handling todays bigger quicker forwards. While guys like Wideman & O'Brian are as big or bigger, they don't have the wheels for todays game! and wFlames, I'm looking at it from perspective of Feasters comments saying he plans on team both rebuilding but also being able to compete & make play-offs this year. 2 or 3 more draft picks or another teams 3rd liner + a 4th rounder for Gio won't help now or the rebuild. I don't have faith in his ability to "win" a trade with anyone for Gio at this point!
I think you are underestimating the return Gio would bring. It would likely be a better return than Bouwmeester.

think a 1st + Prospect or Roster player.

Example:

Gio to the Flyers for 1st + Mezaros.

Flames have to consider a trade like that at the deadline.

Old
07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
OntFlamesFan

Well i agree that Gio's value would/should be greater as the trade deadline approaches, but lets just say my faith in Mr. Feaster's ability to get equal or better value for him is shaky at best! I think he did alright on Bouwmeester trade, could have got more from Pitt. re. Iggy ( should have kept it quiet that Iggy had nixed going to Bruins! ) and also should have done better in the Tanguay trade which was really only a "Salary Swap" and Col. got the best player, so they win! If they're seriously looking to move Gio, they should try to get that Kotska kid from T.O. as he proved he can play at both ends of the rink in the NHL in his stint with Leafs last year, and they really aren't too big on him which may be beneficial to a team like Flames!

Old
07-17-2013, 02:30 PM
ALI

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
I think you are underestimating the return Gio would bring. It would likely be a better return than Bouwmeester.

think a 1st + Prospect or Roster player.

Example:

Gio to the Flyers for 1st + Mezaros.

Flames have to consider a trade like that at the deadline.
1st and L. Schenn would be better maybe add a b prospect

Old
07-17-2013, 02:33 PM
herashak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
you actually think gio is worth that?

Old
07-17-2013, 02:58 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Crosby + Malkin would be better too but im trying to post something realistic. No way we get that kind of return.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:37 PM
Volica

Quote:
Crosby + Malkin would be better too but im trying to post something realistic. No way we get that kind of return.
Gio should be shopped around. He's one of the only valuable pieces in Calgary. There's no point in keeping him here... As he'll be well into his thirties before we're even close to competing again.

Dunno. A first, a cap dump and a b or c prospect would probably be the return... Or an a/b high tier prospect or young player and nothing else.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

So, I just had an epiphany, and thought I would share.

I think Feaster lied when he said there was no interest in Cammy. Here is why:

Feaster knows Cammy wants out, being too "old" to play for a rebuilding team, I am sure everyone within the organization knows it. Feaster obliged and said he would look for a trade. I am sure Feaster did test the market and probably received some decent offers.

However, his plan is to keep Cammy until the trade deadline and there are several good reasons to do so. Firstly, Cammy's value is fairly low right now. He hasn't had a full season to get his point and goal totals back to his maximum level since leaving Montreal unceremoniously. Secondly, Cammy's cap is as we all know imperative to our ability to trade him. Lots of teams cannot afford to carry that hit into the start of the season. At the deadline, this salary will become a non-issue. Thirdly, Feaster knowing Cammy want's out is waiting for him to "play his way out" of the city.

By saying there was little interest in Cammy, he was not attempting to take a "jab" at Cammy, but instead force himself into playing well enough to get traded off the team.

I think it seems fairly obvious when you look at it this way, and I am sure some other posters were thinking similar things. I estimate we will see Cammy wearing a letter and playing on the top line for essentially the entire year in an attempt to drum up interest.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Now's a bad time to shop Giordano, who I do think should be moved eventually. With the cap going down and teams highly reluctant to add salary, the return now would be less than optimal. Better to wait until the draft next season; not only should the cap be going up, but teams will likely look favorably on the idea of adding a legitimate top-four defensemen signed longterm to a reasonable cap hit, rather than gamble and overspend in free agency.

Old
07-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Volica

Quote:
So, I just had an epiphany, and thought I would share.

I think Feaster lied when he said there was no interest in Cammy. Here is why:

Feaster knows Cammy wants out, being too "old" to play for a rebuilding team, I am sure everyone within the organization knows it. Feaster obliged and said he would look for a trade. I am sure Feaster did test the market and probably received some decent offers.

However, his plan is to keep Cammy until the trade deadline and there are several good reasons to do so. Firstly, Cammy's value is fairly low right now. He hasn't had a full season to get his point and goal totals back to his maximum level since leaving Montreal unceremoniously. Secondly, Cammy's cap is as we all know imperative to our ability to trade him. Lots of teams cannot afford to carry that hit into the start of the season. At the deadline, this salary will become a non-issue. Thirdly, Feaster knowing Cammy want's out is waiting for him to "play his way out" of the city.

By saying there was little interest in Cammy, he was not attempting to take a "jab" at Cammy, but instead force himself into playing well enough to get traded off the team.

I think it seems fairly obvious when you look at it this way, and I am sure some other posters were thinking similar things. I estimate we will see Cammy wearing a letter and playing on the top line for essentially the entire year in an attempt to drum up interest.
They are going to be force feeding him points throughout the season, so at the deadline he looks like a guy worth dropping a first ot top tier prospect for.

Trading him now might not be worth it... But when he's getting the first pp unit every night, wearing an A and providing 'guidance' to our kids... Watch what some team throws at Calgary this deadline.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:12 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
They are going to be force feeding him points throughout the season, so at the deadline he looks like a guy worth dropping a first ot top tier prospect for.

Trading him now might not be worth it... But when he's getting the first pp unit every night, wearing an A and providing 'guidance' to our kids... Watch what some team throws at Calgary this deadline.
Exactly. Feaster is thinking the same thing.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:34 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post

He won't be getting first pp time as Brodie and Wideman are ahead of him just as they were last year. But I agree with the rest, I would wait and see what the demand is and where we are but if a deal like a 1st + good prospect is offered I would probably do it.

Old
07-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He won't be getting first pp time as Brodie and Wideman are ahead of him just as they were last year. But I agree with the rest, I would wait and see what the demand is and where we are but if a deal like a 1st + good prospect is offered I would probably do it.
Sometimes...
I question what I read on these forums. Other times, I just /shrug as clearly we're not on the same topic lol.

Old
07-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Stewie Griffin
Benevolent Overlord

vCash: 704
Quote:
Cammalleri?

07-17-2013, 09:24 PM
Anglesmith
GDTs now 90% off!

Quote:
Alright everyone, open season on theHudlinator!

Old
07-17-2013, 11:00 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

I wouldn't care if we moved Butler. He's okay but he can be the most frustrating guy on the team to watch at times.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:15 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Cammalleri?

I thought we were talking about Gio for some reason. Nevermind.

Old
07-18-2013, 09:16 AM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I wouldn't care if we moved Butler. He's okay but he can be the most frustrating guy on the team to watch at times.
Nailed it! Seriously, he drives me nuts. I want him gone. Bu he'll be here, so hopefully he improves.

Closed Thread