HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2013, 09:39 PM
  #676
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,231
vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Yea this way we don't have to feel like we need to take Ekblad if we end up there we can go bpa.
Feaster has basically said as much to, draft the BPA and if you have a surplus you can move one for a comparable player. I really, really wouldn't want to trade him, but Larsson would be hard to say no to.

Johnny Hoxville is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 09:43 PM
  #677
100 Third Graders
BBQ Anyone?
 
100 Third Graders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,096
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
If Dion signs with the Oilers I'm gonna puke.
I would laugh, it is a typical Oilers signing and will show nothing has changed. They still won't be addressing their defensive holes.

100 Third Graders is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 09:53 PM
  #678
Calculon
unholy acting talent
 
Calculon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Error 503
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,751
vCash: 50
Baertschi for Larsson would be a pretty good trade. It would be dealing from a position of strength to address a weakness, which is good asset management (and something the Oilers still haven't manage to figure out).

But the team would need to see how Poirer and Gaudreau looked in the AHL/NHL before committing to a deal like that.

Calculon is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 10:56 PM
  #679
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I just think it would be a train wreck personality wise. I also don't think we get Ekblad so counting on him seems pointless. Like I said I would prefer lesser known players that are more consistent and are more likely to sign here. I don't see the need for 6 offensive D men when we can need defensive defenseman.
I disagree.
Niskanen/Emelin/Orpik; none of those guys are people we need to be bringing into the organization... All for different reasons.
Niskanen is the most wanted in that list... but he's playing for a powerhouse in the East. .. While he's a solid D-man, we have... what? 3-4 kids that have similar potential to a second pairing D-man at the NHL level?
Emelin is a guy who's important to Montreal, and I don't see him moving from there to be honest. Again, he's a bottom guy, and the money it'd cost to get a bottom pair guy in UFA period is significantly more expensive than just bringing up your own kids.
Orpik is truly not what we need on this team. He'll be what next season? 34? Pass. Rebuilding isn't about getting old guys, it's about building for the future.

We are choked full of lesser known players, especially on the back-end. Also, the whole Offensive vs. Defensive argument is ridiculous, I think Chicago, LA, Pittsburgh, the Bs and Detroit proved that. All teams had offensively gifted two-way D-men playing big minutes while driving towards the cup.

Even if you remove Ekblad from the conversation (While I love what the team has been showing so far, I don't think we should plan that parade quite yet, this still has big markings of a low-tier team; so removing the chance at a top 2 D-prospect is much like the UFA gamble of signing a 34 year old D-man who has been playing on arguably the best team on paper for the past half-decade) you can swap him with a name like Sieloff within our own organization.

I might just not understand why it's a train-wreck? 6 Mobile D-men, who in the NHL wouldn't want it? 5 of them being guys who can easily fill top 4 rolls, with an actual clear top pairing guy.
I think you might be looking into Dion's attitude at 23 years old. I mean, they gave him the C in Toronto, he's been a leader there... And I don't see any issues with Captaincy going forward. If he has an issue with that C on his Jersey, he'll stay in Toronto, because no bloody team except winners like the Oilers give out C's to first year players (especially when you have a great leader already).

Volica is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 11:06 PM
  #680
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Feaster has basically said as much to, draft the BPA and if you have a surplus you can move one for a comparable player. I really, really wouldn't want to trade him, but Larsson would be hard to say no to.
Feaster, giving him all the credit in the world at the draft (or more-so his Draft team) also likes to use a lot of smoke/mirrors. IF Calgary had the 4th pick at the Draft, they probably would have foolishly still picked Monahan. The Flames organizations ***** was clearly showing for that kid even during workouts.

If you believe for a second Feaster doesn't want to plug holes at the draft with his top picks, you're listening too much to a lawyer. Luckily for us, there are massive holes up and down this organization. Unless the BPA is a LW'er, I think it's safe we pick them lol.

As for Larsson. That'd be really tough. I really, really like Sven. On that note, however, we have 3-4 guys who if they hit potential could be just as good as Sven in the not-too-distant future... Some which bring additional bonuses too (Poirier's physicality and speed, Klimchuk's IQ + Leadership, Markus has the same type of hands). That'd be a tough one. I don't think we need to rush though; still a lot of time to rebuild that D-corps.

Volica is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 11:11 PM
  #681
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Feaster, giving him all the credit in the world at the draft (or more-so his Draft team) also likes to use a lot of smoke/mirrors. IF Calgary had the 4th pick at the Draft, they probably would have foolishly still picked Monahan. The Flames organizations ***** was clearly showing for that kid even during workouts.

If you believe for a second Feaster doesn't want to plug holes at the draft with his top picks, you're listening too much to a lawyer. Luckily for us, there are massive holes up and down this organization. Unless the BPA is a LW'er, I think it's safe we pick them lol.

As for Larsson. That'd be really tough. I really, really like Sven. On that note, however, we have 3-4 guys who if they hit potential could be just as good as Sven in the not-too-distant future... Some which bring additional bonuses too (Poirier's physicality and speed, Klimchuk's IQ + Leadership, Markus has the same type of hands). That'd be a tough one. I don't think we need to rush though; still a lot of time to rebuild that D-corps.
Yeah but Baertschi has a special level of Flash. I see him be a lot like Kane and go on an absolute tear and then nobody's stopping him. I think this whole criticism around him right now is causing him not to play his game and focus more into playing the system. Once he gets comfortable playing within the system, he'll find ways to generate serious offense.

MarkGio is offline  
Old
10-07-2013, 11:25 PM
  #682
Volica
150lbs of Playoffs
 
Volica's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Yeah but Baertschi has a special level of Flash. I see him be a lot like Kane and go on an absolute tear and then nobody's stopping him. I think this whole criticism around him right now is causing him not to play his game and focus more into playing the system. Once he gets comfortable playing within the system, he'll find ways to generate serious offense.
I think being called out by Burke didn't help.
He's showing he can play all three zones well these first three games... Now I think it's time we see him start being an offensive threat every time he hits the ice.

Honestly, my favorite part about every Calgary game, is when I see 23 and 47 hit the ice together. A lot of promise there.

Volica is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 12:07 AM
  #683
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,231
vCash: 2403
I honestly don't care about Burke's comments and it hasn't changed my opinion on Sven at all. I didn't like his preseason, but he's looked good so far this season minus the lack of offence.

But the Devils have a ton of young, really good dman and Larsson is somewhat expendable for the right price. I guess what it comes down to for me, is are we closer to a championship with a guy like Larsson or a guy like Sven and who's more likely to hit their ceiling.

Having a guy like Larsson and a guy like Monahan on the team fits pretty close to the way the B's and Kings are built. We really need a franchise dman desperately now that we have Monahan.

Johnny Hoxville is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 12:21 AM
  #684
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
I honestly don't care about Burke's comments and it hasn't changed my opinion on Sven at all. I didn't like his preseason, but he's looked good so far this season minus the lack of offence.

But the Devils have a ton of young, really good dman and Larsson is somewhat expendable for the right price. I guess what it comes down to for me, is are we closer to a championship with a guy like Larsson or a guy like Sven and who's more likely to hit their ceiling.

Having a guy like Larsson and a guy like Monahan on the team fits pretty close to the way the B's and Kings are built. We really need a franchise dman desperately now that we have Monahan.
Baertschi has responded and has played very well in all 3 zones during the last game. Baertschi is a guy who won't impress you defensively, yet WOW you offensively, so its hard to see the other areas of his game. Baertschi is a playmaker who could still very much become an elite 2 way player if he focuses on that area. Regardless, he'll still be an elite offensive player. Larsson isn't even in the convo IMO.

MarkGio is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 01:58 AM
  #685
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,129
vCash: 500
Baertschi was involved in three two on ones last game and was looked off by his teammate each and every time (Monahan obviously made a good decision on his goal however). He is positioning himself beautifully for scoring chances, but has yet to cash in....these things happen. He also almost tied it up multiple times by himself in that late game surge and was stonewalled on a few occasions.

His passing ability and creativity offensively is borderline elite level already in my opinion, and in addition to that he possesses a very fast and accurate release. His tape to tape saucer passes in the neutral zone are simply amazing, and his ability to draw defenders to himself and dish the puck ever so subtly to his teammates at the offensive blueline leaves me in awe on a consistent basis.

The one thing I would love to see him do more however would be to hold onto the puck longer once offensive zone time is established. I think that will come in time as he becomes more comfortable with the size and strength of these NHL players. He has the talent to have an offensive attack built around his abilities, but at this point he appears to be a little hesitant in taking on those reigns (which is to be expected for such a young player)

We have to hold onto this kid. He has a special offensive skill set.
This is just a case of a player figuring his way out at the highest level, and once he does...watch out.

HighLifeMan is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 04:57 AM
  #686
Flames 1st pick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Having a guy like Larsson and a guy like Monahan on the team fits pretty close to the way the B's and Kings are built. We really need a franchise dman desperately now that we have Monahan.
Sure but I think a team needs more than 1 good forward

Flames 1st pick is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 09:58 AM
  #687
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,231
vCash: 2403
I'm not advocating to trade Sven at all, but it is a tempting idea due to our lack of organizational depth. I seriously doubt our management would entertain even moving Sven unless something fell onto their laps that they simply couldn't say no to.

Johnny Hoxville is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 10:10 AM
  #688
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,526
vCash: 150
As a Flames and Devils fan:

I wouldn't want the Flames to trade Bart for Larsson. Larsson was an NHL player right out of the gate and hes already a top-4 for them. My issue with Larsson though is I think he has the "it" factor. I think he will probably reach the level of a top-pairing guy, but I don't personally view him as a #1D or future #1. He reminds me in a lot of ways of Bouwmeester, but with a worse offensive toolbox. Having Larsson on the Flames would be awesome but Bart is going to be a special player. It would be like trading Kane for Ehrhoff. Neither are bad players, but one is markedly better than the other.

Just my opinion on it.

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 03:04 PM
  #689
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert
 
theIceWookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
I would laugh, it is a typical Oilers signing and will show nothing has changed. They still won't be addressing their defensive holes.
I'm not sure you've seen Phaneuf play recently but that sentence doesn't make much sense if you have...

theIceWookie is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 03:30 PM
  #690
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,175
vCash: 50
I don't think Sven has been bad at all but I suggested Sven for Larsson as dealing from a position of strength to fix a position of weakness. I will admit to thinking his ceiling isn't as high as some of you think but this wasn't a proposal due to me thinking he has been poor.


Last edited by TheHudlinator: 10-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.
TheHudlinator is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 04:15 PM
  #691
Demetric
Registered User
 
Demetric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Under a Rock
Country: Canada
Posts: 408
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Baertschi was involved in three two on ones last game and was looked off by his teammate each and every time (Monahan obviously made a good decision on his goal however). He is positioning himself beautifully for scoring chances, but has yet to cash in....these things happen. He also almost tied it up multiple times by himself in that late game surge and was stonewalled on a few occasions.

His passing ability and creativity offensively is borderline elite level already in my opinion, and in addition to that he possesses a very fast and accurate release. His tape to tape saucer passes in the neutral zone are simply amazing, and his ability to draw defenders to himself and dish the puck ever so subtly to his teammates at the offensive blueline leaves me in awe on a consistent basis.

The one thing I would love to see him do more however would be to hold onto the puck longer once offensive zone time is established. I think that will come in time as he becomes more comfortable with the size and strength of these NHL players. He has the talent to have an offensive attack built around his abilities, but at this point he appears to be a little hesitant in taking on those reigns (which is to be expected for such a young player)

We have to hold onto this kid. He has a special offensive skill set.
This is just a case of a player figuring his way out at the highest level, and once he does...watch out.
this

Demetric is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 08:34 PM
  #692
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,231
vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
I don't think Sven has been bad at all but I suggested Sven for Larsson as dealing from a position of strength to fix a position of weakness. I will admit to thinking his ceiling is has high as some of you think but this wasn't a proposal due to me thinking he has been poor.
I agree, I'm not giving up on Sven in anyway, I think he'll be a fantastic player but I also think so will Larsson.

Johnny Hoxville is offline  
Old
10-08-2013, 09:49 PM
  #693
BVicious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Baertschi was involved in three two on ones last game and was looked off by his teammate each and every time (Monahan obviously made a good decision on his goal however). He is positioning himself beautifully for scoring chances, but has yet to cash in....these things happen. He also almost tied it up multiple times by himself in that late game surge and was stonewalled on a few occasions.

His passing ability and creativity offensively is borderline elite level already in my opinion, and in addition to that he possesses a very fast and accurate release. His tape to tape saucer passes in the neutral zone are simply amazing, and his ability to draw defenders to himself and dish the puck ever so subtly to his teammates at the offensive blueline leaves me in awe on a consistent basis.

The one thing I would love to see him do more however would be to hold onto the puck longer once offensive zone time is established. I think that will come in time as he becomes more comfortable with the size and strength of these NHL players. He has the talent to have an offensive attack built around his abilities, but at this point he appears to be a little hesitant in taking on those reigns (which is to be expected for such a young player)

We have to hold onto this kid. He has a special offensive skill set.
This is just a case of a player figuring his way out at the highest level, and once he does...watch out.
^ basically what I wanted to say, but his is better.

Thought I just had beer goggles on, glad someone else was as impressed by him as I was. Monahan too, waaaaaaaay better than I thought he would be honestly.

So yea, no trades. Just need Cammy back to stack up points, so we can trade him, and get him far away from this team.

EDIT: post 666! Evil ****!

BVicious is offline  
Old
10-09-2013, 10:54 PM
  #694
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Is TSN honestly suggesting that the Flames will trade Baertschi for Gardiner?!

http://m.tsn.ca/home/article?url=htt...e&feedId=82010

Does the Toronto bias of TSN have no end?

MarkGio is offline  
Old
10-09-2013, 11:04 PM
  #695
Zirakzigil
Registered User
 
Zirakzigil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 5,909
vCash: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Is TSN honestly suggesting that the Flames will trade Baertschi for Gardiner?!

http://m.tsn.ca/home/article?url=htt...e&feedId=82010

Does the Toronto bias of TSN have no end?
Look who wrote the article. He also stated that Skinner for Gardiner would be a good trade if he wasnt making over 5mil.

Zirakzigil is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 01:31 PM
  #696
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 400
Out of curiousity what would CGY want for Stajan, Cammy or Stemp either now (preferable) or the TDL? IYO would Stajan work well on the 3rd line with Higgins and Hansen in a checking-secondary scoring role? There would need to be salary sent back or salary retained to make it work cap wise.

Seatoo is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 01:57 PM
  #697
MarkGio
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Out of curiousity what would CGY want for Stajan, Cammy or Stemp either now (preferable) or the TDL? IYO would Stajan work well on the 3rd line with Higgins and Hansen in a checking-secondary scoring role? There would need to be salary sent back or salary retained to make it work cap wise.
There's a divisional rival premium. Matt Stajan plays at a 0.5 ppg pace except when playing under a Sutter. I see him getting a return better or at least what Chris Kelly (2011), Mike Fisher (2011), Dominic Moore (2010), Matt Cullen (2010), Raffi Torres (2010), and Eric Belanger (2010) got. So a 2nd round pick to start.

MarkGio is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 02:22 PM
  #698
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,526
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Out of curiousity what would CGY want for Stajan, Cammy or Stemp either now (preferable) or the TDL? IYO would Stajan work well on the 3rd line with Higgins and Hansen in a checking-secondary scoring role? There would need to be salary sent back or salary retained to make it work cap wise.
This changes the compensation. You essentially have to overpay if you plan on dumping cap on us.

Specifically with Stajan, yes I do. Stajan is a much better 2-way player than he was in Toronto. He will probably never hit 50 points again but he plays a 200 foot game.

InfinityIggy is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  #699
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 400
Stajan with 40% retained for Schroder (Centre, 600k, RFA)and a 2015 4th and 2014 5th?

Seatoo is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 02:38 PM
  #700
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,526
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatoo View Post
Stajan with 40% retained for Schroder (Centre, 600k, RFA)and a 2015 4th and 2014 5th?
I like Schroder but our needs on D and RW are much bigger and a 4th and 5th doesn't do much to change that fact.

InfinityIggy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.