HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

(HF Story) CIS Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
(HF Story) CIS Part IV

In Part IV of the CIS series, I speak with Ty Morris, a 20 year old free agent making the choice between turning pro ad continuing his hockey career at a CIS school.

Also in the story are the opinions of two player agents and a handful of UofA Golden Bears to offer their personal stories.

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0

Old
05-01-2005, 06:27 PM
DaveyCrockett

The series on CIS was excellent. I enjoyed the articles and thought they were informative and well written.

Old
05-01-2005, 07:02 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
In Part IV of the CIS series, I speak with Ty Morris, a 20 year old free agent making the choice between turning pro ad continuing his hockey career at a CIS school.

Also in the story are the opinions of two player agents and a handful of UofA Golden Bears to offer their personal stories.

http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0
It's very interesting reading. As an parent of a top American prospect we have had to look closely at the decission between the CHL and NCAA. My son has chosen the NCAA route and some of his friends have chosen the CHL route. I think it is a much easier decission for a Canadian player than it is for an American.

Old
05-02-2005, 12:54 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd
It's very interesting reading. As an parent of a top American prospect we have had to look closely at the decission between the CHL and NCAA. My son has chosen the NCAA route and some of his friends have chosen the CHL route. I think it is a much easier decission for a Canadian player than it is for an American.
Interesting. I'm curious as to why you feel that way.

The way i see it, the scenarios appear very comparable to me except the competition in Canada is much greater.

A 15 or 16 year old in either country has the same choice to make; CHL or junior (a league like the USHL stateside or the BCHL/AJHL in Canada) with hopes of catching the attention of a NCAA school and getting a scholarship.

Seems basically the same to me except the tier II junior leagues in Canada I suspect are stronger and deeper than the USHL, I don't knwo that for sure so I might be talking out of my butt on that one.

The difference to me is that after Tier II in the US there is NCAA where players have their NHL affiliations until they graduate somewhere around 23 or 24 years of age. CHL players don't have that luxury and if they head to CIS at 20... they're on their own.

If a NCAA player is a late bloomer and breaksout at 22... he's got a great chance of being signed as a free agent. Not so with a CIS player because of the stigma attatched to him as already being scouted in the WHL or OHL and passed over.

It's a double standard, that's the point of this CIS series I've been writing. next chapter will look at the possibility of legislating changes to recognize that double standard.

Old
05-02-2005, 12:56 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyCrockett
The series on CIS was excellent. I enjoyed the articles and thought they were informative and well written.

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated and I'm glad you found it of interest.

I hope there are more people out there that share that opinion!

Old
05-02-2005, 12:31 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming
Thanks for the comment, much appreciated and I'm glad you found it of interest.

I hope there are more people out there that share that opinion!
Don't under estimate your work Guy....This is a brillant series!

Old
05-02-2005, 01:23 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia
Don't under estimate your work Guy....This is a brillant series!

Thanks Jeff... I take back what I said to Aaron about you being a buffoon.

You did hear about that right?

just kidding, and thanks.

Old
05-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Guy:

I've also enjoyed the article (and the series), however I was curious about one item in this particular article. You mentioned at one point that ECHL teams (I believe it was) were/have been "plucking" (for a lack of better term) players from D-III schools are now turning to the CIS. I'm curious of how/why the D-IIIs when there are plenty of D-I schools players (even amongst lesser known schools such as Bentley or Alabama-Huntsville) where some talented youngsters exist that'll never see the light of the NHL, let alone the AHL? I know in the past that D-III (and further back when D-IIs existed) that some players came out of those divisions (Joel Otto is one that comes to mind) but that's been declining over the last decade or so (or so I thought). Am I missing something in the translation here?

Old
05-02-2005, 04:49 PM
VOB

Guy, your work has been outstanding!! You have dispelled several myths and misconceptions about both the CHL and the CIS. You have clearly shown that a player does not throw away his education when choosing the CHL nor does his aspirations for a pro career end upon entering the CIS.

Old
05-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
I've also enjoyed the article (and the series), however I was curious about one item in this particular article. You mentioned at one point that ECHL teams were/have been "plucking" players from D-III schools are now turning to the CIS. I'm curious of how/why the D-IIIs when there are plenty of D-I schools players (even amongst lesser known schools such as Bentley or Alabama-Huntsville) where some talented youngsters exist that'll never see the light of the NHL, let alone the AHL? I know in the past that D-III (and further back when D-IIs existed) that some players came out of those divisions (Joel Otto is one that comes to mind) but that's been declining over the last decade or so (or so I thought). Am I missing something in the translation here?

That line you quoted wasn't mine, it was the US based agent's and he used it alongside the term 'sleeper pick.' I assume that the Div I schools are the major target for ECHL but that there might be a diamond in the Div III rough... and maybe now it's the CIS rough.

That's how I took it, maybe someone else has a different read we can toss around here.

Old
05-12-2005, 03:28 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

I'm still looking for the answers to post #4 that 'bigd' began in post #3.

Closed Thread