HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 10:28 PM
FANonymous

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I think we need to be prepared, I think we must get a backup first line forward.. at best we end up with two, at worst we still have one..
It would be nice to have a first line consisting of first-liners.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:01 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
It would be nice to have a first line consisting of first-liners.
.... true

Old
05-04-2013, 11:43 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Also who knows who could emerge from out roster as a top player. If Calvert and Cam can improve in a few areas this summer, maybe get a little stronger, work on that first step just a wee bit, throw a few thousand pucks on net. Who knows what they could do next season. With a full offseason/training camp/preseason. With the entire team and what ever newcomers there may be the team should be able to pick up where they left off. I just hope the passion and intensity carries over to the offseason. I think thats more important than anything JD or JK can do. That will to win needs to carry over into the offseason to keep that drive going. The more you want it, the more you are going to stay focused in the offseason and harder youre going to work to get it. This offseason is going to determine who is getting C and who is getting the A.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:35 AM
mirasane

There is a rumour in Finland that Blue Jackets has offered contract to Finnish free agent goalie Antti Raanta. The rumour is uncertain as I read it from Jatkoaika.com discussion board. But I am quite certain Raanta will get an NHL contract this summer and CBJ would be a great choice for him.

Old
05-05-2013, 03:33 AM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirasane View Post
There is a rumour in Finland that Blue Jackets has offered contract to Finnish free agent goalie Antti Raanta. The rumour is uncertain as I read it from Jatkoaika.com discussion board. But I am quite certain Raanta will get an NHL contract this summer and CBJ would be a great choice for him.
That'd be awesome if he came over and his numbers could translate. It could take some strain off of Bob, yet keep the competition there.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:09 AM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Awesome. It's always good to go for a low risk high reward type of thing. I just hope that he isn't the #1 option as a backup goalie this summer, hopefully they bring in someone who can compete with Raanta/McElhinney with more experience.

Old
05-05-2013, 04:55 AM
mirasane

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Awesome. It's always good to go for a low risk high reward type of thing. I just hope that he isn't the #1 option as a backup goalie this summer, hopefully they bring in someone who can compete with Raanta/McElhinney with more experience.
I agree. Even though Raanta is very promising I'd think he'd have to play at least one season in AHL to adjust to north american hockey before being NHL ready.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
I agree. Even though Raanta is very promising I'd think he'd have to play at least one season in AHL to adjust to north american hockey before being NHL ready.
I thought same of Viktor Fasth but he was ready right away... so who knows. IMO Raanta would make the right decision by picking Columbus. There is other teams trying to sign him too.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
That'd be awesome if he came over and his numbers could translate.
I think they use the same numbers,its the words that are tough.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:02 AM
EspenK

From today's Dispatch

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/...d-scoring.html

I agree that Cam will probably produce more - I'd say he's a 20 goal guy; Calvert I'm not so sure but yes he'll probably do a bit better;If Arty stays healthy he could score 20. Gabby should be good for 20-25.

Umbie (with the exception of his 9 goal streak last year) and Dubi are now two seasons removed from being guys you can count on to score 20. At least Dubi plays with grit and had a bunch of assists.

So to me it looks like Jarmo will be active in the trade & FA markets to add a scorer.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:47 AM
EspenK

Assuming that Jarmo spends 7-8 mill on Bob (4) Arty (3) & a backup goalie (1) that will put us at 59-60 mill if Murray makes the team and Vinny is resigned at 2.5. Leaving about 4 to add a 13th forward & possibly 14th forward. Jenner's cap hit is just short of a million if he makes it. So bottom line not a whole lot of cap space to attract a top UFA.

Umbie buyout- Saves 4.6 against the cap for 4 years. Total cost 12 mill, spread out over 8 yrs is a 1.5 per year cash hit. To me it is a viable option given the above math.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Assuming that Jarmo spends 7-8 mill on Bob (4) Arty (3) & a backup goalie (1) that will put us at 59-60 mill if Murray makes the team and Vinny is resigned at 2.5. Leaving about 4 to add a 13th forward & possibly 14th forward. Jenner's cap hit is just short of a million if he makes it. So bottom line not a whole lot of cap space to attract a top UFA.

Umbie buyout- Saves 4.6 against the cap for 4 years. Total cost 12 mill, spread out over 8 yrs is a 1.5 per year cash hit. To me it is a viable option given the above math.
Compliance buy outs are for the length of the contract not twice, 12 MIL over 4 years. Tough pill to swallow for a team, while not struggling, is certainly not at the NYR or TOR level financially. Glad you're comfortable with that viable option.

Did a cap geek roster, can spend ~4M on a "new forward" and have about 2M in space with RJ.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:40 AM
leesmith
Still in.

For me, "team speed" was more news than adding scoring. We all know they want to add scoring.

Who are the slowest guys on the squad? Prospal, Aucoin, Umberger and, in the minors, Savard.

Old
05-05-2013, 09:45 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Compliance buy outs are for the length of the contract not twice, 12 MIL over 4 years. Tough pill to swallow for a team, while not struggling, is certainly not at the NYR or TOR level financially. Glad you're comfortable with that viable option.

Did a cap geek roster, can spend ~4M on a "new forward" and have about 2M in space with RJ.
Do you have a link to that info? I am not reading it that way on either cap Geek or here

http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpr...an-12-2013.pdf

Both say compliance buyouts`are done under same rules as regular except they don't count against the cap.

I can't find the complete final agreement so if anyone has a link to it I'd appreciate it.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Do you have a link to that info? I am not reading it that way on either cap Geek or here

http://nbcprohockeytalk.files.wordpr...an-12-2013.pdf

Both say compliance buyouts`are done under same rules as regular except they don't count against the cap.

I can't find the complete final agreement so if anyone has a link to it I'd appreciate it.
I stand corrected, sir.

The original article I read, said over the original term. But Cap Geek agrees with you that the compliance buys outs operate under the same rules except it doesn't apply to the cap. So in RJU's case it would be 1.5M x 8 years.

It's still 12M, no matter what the term is. I don't see it. I don't think it's necessary, at least this year. We're still paying Commodore 1.1M for the next two years.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:00 PM
BoonesJenner

Quote:
I think they use the same numbers,its the words that are tough.
Well yeah, by numbers I meant his statistics. I wonder if the numbers he put up there would be similiar if he came here.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:08 PM
EspenK

Quote:
I stand corrected, sir.

The original article I read, said over the original term. But Cap Geek agrees with you that the compliance buys outs operate under the same rules except it doesn't apply to the cap. So in RJU's case it would be 1.5M x 8 years.

It's still 12M, no matter what the term is. I don't see it. I don't think it's necessary, at least this year. We're still paying Commodore 1.1M for the next two years.
Or a saving of 6 mill no matter what the term is. I'm not necessarily advocating it, but if it frees up 4.6 of cap space, saves 6 mill and helps us add a player that really helps then I think it makes some sense.

And team speed would almost definitely improve by the subtraction of Umbie.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:41 AM
JacketsDavid

I'm going to be (albeit pleasantly) surprised if we buy out RJ. We are not a cap team, we are a cash team. Yes we have spent money at times, but other times it's pretty clear they try to match up our team payroll with expected cash flows.
With that being said I just can't see them writing a large check to RJ to make him go away.
I don't think he is a 20 goal scorer, and he is overpaid for a 3rd line player but by the time you buy him out AND sign a player to replace him it seems in my mind they will end up spending more cash.
You don't need three 20 goal scorers on your 3rd line. Seems like if you have one you would be ok, would be that swing player who could move up if an injury happens in top 6.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Matt

Umberger is going to be playing here next season. GET OVER IT!

Old
05-06-2013, 07:58 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
Been a busy week at work...just sat down and read this entire thread.

There have been a few mentions of Bobby Ryan in this thread, but no meaty conversations and I'm a little surprised by that.

Thoughts?
They don't have to move Ryan. I see no reason to discuss him.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:11 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Umberger is going to be playing here next season. GET OVER IT!
Your certainty is quite a relief, no need for anyone to give this topic any further thought. Care to end all discussion on the Murray Trade issue, as well? That's dragged on way too long and could really use your definitive manner of closure. Thanks.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:15 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Food for thought... its possible the trade for Gaborik could be the biggest mistake in years.. The dude was injured when we got him...?
Worried about a sports hernia? Uhh, no.

If it's a mistake, it wasn't because of that.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:18 AM
ernmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
They don't have to move Ryan. I see no reason to discuss him.
Well, no, they don't have to.

But do you really believe they will keep him given the contracts they gave Getzlaf and Perry and with the cap moving down? I could be completely wrong, but I give it a 70-80% chance that he's moved given those factors.

Buffalo doesn't have to move Vanek either but we spent 2 pages talking about him. Welcome to the offseason where we discuss these sorts of things.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:24 AM
blahblah

Quote:
I stand corrected, sir.

I think you were right the first time. Check out Gomez in Capgeek. One year hit @ 6.5 mil.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:32 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
But do you really believe they will keep him given the contracts they gave Getzlaf and Perry and with the cap moving down?
I think those moves were done without any consideration of Ryan. I think they have no intention of moving him unless another team offers them something they can't refuse. There cap situation on capgeek looks worse than it is because of all these extra players on their roster.

I said it before, it's no different than Malkin, Crosby, and Neal for the Pens.

Closed Thread