HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 08:08 PM
major major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Not that it WILL happen but I would expect a boost from Atkinson, Johansen, Umberger, Dubinsky, Gaborik, Anisimov and Foligno. If they can add one more forward to the mix I'm sure they will but I truly feel they stay the course and build the pipeline up front. Use the draft picks to either move up in the draft or take the highest value players in theis slots (regardless of position). Move prospects for prospets if necessary or prospects for young NHLers but I'm not counting on another big splash and the addition of more salary. Columbus isn't likely to be a "cap" team (and until they start consistent winning I don't think they should be or can afford to be).
I agree, and I'd be fine with no moves made. I'd strongly prefer that we don't trade young assets for older scorers, especially if they don't have term.

However, year after year I consistently overestimate scoring from the Jackets scorers, and this year is no different with all the players you list above, so if past history is any lesson don't listen to me.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:12 PM
CBJfan4evr

I'm thinking the Jackets look at UFA's rather than go the trade route. Watching Brassard fly around the ice tonight makes me ill. Not sure how I'll feel when have to play NYR

Old
05-06-2013, 09:36 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Not saying I want to trade Murray, in fact I don't...., nor do I think Jarmo will trade him but I'm not Jarmo or John Davidson either..

That said, if Murray is included in a trade for a top line forward I think many teams would strongly consider making a deal .. I even think there could be a chance a team may take RJ's contract to move a #1 forward they want out if they could get Murray and a first round pick in return...

Murray is a highly rated #1 draft pick even though he hasn't played yet... the one concern which is probably minor, is his shoulder injury going to be problem being a defenseman.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:10 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Not saying I want to trade Murray, in fact I don't...., nor do I think Jarmo will trade him but I'm not Jarmo or John Davidson either..

That said, if Murray is included in a trade for a top line forward I think many teams would strongly consider making a deal .. I even think there could be a chance a team may take RJ's contract to move a #1 forward they want out if they could get Murray and a first round pick in return...

Murray is a highly rated #1 draft pick even though he hasn't played yet... the one concern which is probably minor, is his shoulder injury going to be problem being a defenseman.
Guys have recovered from that injury before ... and he's getting the right treatment and healing time. Shouldn't be too big of a concern.

If it's Murray + Umberger for a top line forward, say, under age 24, then I think you consider making a deal. But it should be an already established player ... and in that age range, it's pretty slim pickings. Otherwise, it would be trading potential for potential - and I'm not a big fan of that (re: Luke Schenn for James van Riemsdyk).

Old
05-06-2013, 10:33 PM
ernmorris

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Just because you agree with him doesn't make it a "winner".

I listed the reasoning, which you really haven't countered. It was fairly in depth. Why don't you try debating it, instead of just jumping on DSL's coat tails.

You haven't debated the Ducks finances, what it would take for them to trade him to us, the risks to such a move with a player with one year left on his deal, and under what conditions the Ducks would entertain him trading him. I even listed a team that almost mirrors them financially, but you persist that they can't make the math work. Please, this one is easy for them. I can see almost 5 million in cap space that will be sent down after the playoffs, unless you somehow think Palmieri is going to break them.

I even then gave you a few reasons in which Buffalo might be a more willing and able partner. Then to top it off I even added why our situation is different than it was when we went after Gaborik.

Why do you persist? Mostly like because it is a fantasy and people loooove fantasies. Sure sometimes fantasies happen, but the likelihood of this one coming true without great pain to this franchise are almost zero. You don't think it will take a big package, but this guy had 4 straight 30+ goal seasons at only 26. He is a poster child for a big package deal. There would have to be something working in the background to get the Ducks to move him for something reasonable. A lot more than what I've heard in rumblings over the last couple of years. The Ducks would have to be really motivated. They may realize that Ryan isn't willing to come back, but they are still going to require a kings ransom. They aren't going to give him away and they aren't going to advertise he wants out.

Just remember, the further you get the playoffs the less and less likely a player is to get moved. You trade a Ryan when you want to shake up the room.

Sure the Ducks could lose some depth, but that is what the farm system is for.
Wow - you are a "right" fighter aren't you? I suppose you think that if you filibuster or talk the loudest others will give up or move on. I'm really not that passionate about this so I'm about to grant your wish and move on. I really don't have the time or desire to try to persuade someone to change their mind when they have no interest.

With that said, let me throw one last post out there.

What I agreed with DSL on was this quote "But good luck with your crusade during this long offseason"
He was basically saying that people are going to have their opinions and that it's going to be a long offseason. And it's a message board and this is precisely what people do on message boards...we talk about stuff like trades, free agents signings, etc.

Next point I want to make is regarding Vanek. Here is where we agree on something. I've never once said anything about Vanek (other than the board debating him for 2 pages...of which I didn't get involved in). Clearly Buffalo is in different position and I could definitely see Vanek moved. Maybe even to here. I'm not sure why you think that Buffalo would demand less for Vanek than Anaheim would for Ryan...Vanek is only 29 and has 8 seasons of 20+ goals, 2 of those 8 with over 30 and 2 with over 40. He wouldn't demand a big package deal? But...no need to start another debate.

Lastly, regarding Ryan. All I'm saying is that it's possible...I'm not saying that its going to happen, just that it's possible. I'm not going to give you a detailed player by player breakdown of the Ducks roster listing contracts, etc. I just don't have the time or the interest to do that. I'm not the GM...just some guy on a message board wanting to talk sports with fellow CBJ fans.

Why do I persist? You're right. I'm not going to any longer. We'll just agree to disagree on this topic. I believe that Ryan will be in play this offseason due to economic reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't because organizations make room for players like Ryan. You don't think there is any way at all that he is moved. And that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Now...back to fantasy land for me.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:57 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Do you not think Johansen will score more than 8 goals next year? Dubi will increase his output from this year. Anisimov should score 20+ based on this year and Foligno took a step back. Umberger may be a hope but he is a 25 goal scorer historically. That's why I expect an increase.

I also think you will see salary moved, not added.
I have him at 12-13 (8*(82/48))

Seriously other than hope I really see no reason to expect Joey to score ( a lot) more. He hasn't shown me yet that he can on a consistent basis. Dubi you are probably right I hope he is in the 15-20 range.

One of the problems I see with our scoring is we don't seem to have a lot of guys creating goal opportunities rather we cash in on right place right time goals, not that there is anything wrong with that but we need to be better in setting up the opportunities. And when we do create opportunities it is usually a one guy effort like Cam, Arty, Calvert or Letestu making a great individual move not a result of systemic play.

As i watch Eastern teams play I am impressed with the way they pass better, set guys up better and essentially play a more offensively minded game than the Jackets in particular and the West in general.

It is going to be interesting to me to watch the styles match up next year.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:40 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernmorris View Post
Wow - you are a "right" fighter aren't you? I suppose you think that if you filibuster or talk the loudest others will give up or move on. I'm really not that passionate about this so I'm about to grant your wish and move on. I really don't have the time or desire to try to persuade someone to change their mind when they have no interest.
No, it's called a debate. It's not about being right or wrong, common mistake. As a matter of fact, I have grown weary of that simplistic view. If you have a good point, I am more than willing to listen to it. I have changed my mind in the past. I corrected myself earlier in the thread. But if you post unreasoned (or barely reasoned) thought, I will challenge you. Be precise in the future on what you quote.

I do find it interesting that at no part of your posts did you really ever debate and support anything other that by saying "I believe that .......". Pretty standard around here.

As far as Vanek, I am not sure why you are even remotely confused. It's right there in black and white. I never said it was going to be cheap and, at least to start with, they aren't going to offer him for anything less that premium. I think you missed the part where I said "more willing and able". Willing in that their player might want out of town now and able because they might have needs that we can more easily fill than the Ducks with Ryan, while not impacting our depth quite as badly (they might want defense, I'm not sure the Ducks really want or need that). Maybe they will be less willing because we are in the same division.

I think it was obvious that I don't think either are going to happen.

As far as the finances, you really haven't given a reason in which Ryan might need to be moved other than "do you really think they want to keep him after those contracts (paraphrasing)". I challenged it, gave you an example of another roster that mirrors it. That is what happens in a debate. You justify or back it up with data. If I had (have) missed something you could have pointed it out.

People seem to think this is only an opinion board. If you want that, just tweet or something. You decided to expose you to a large community of people.

Old
05-07-2013, 01:52 PM
cslebn

I don't expect Ryan or Vanek to be a Blue Jacket next year. In fact I expect something more of a Howson-esque kind of signing.

That said this year will be interesting due to amnesty buyouts and the lower cap.

Teams with Issues:
Vancouver - Over the cap
Philadelphia - Over the cap
Tampa - 500k per spot, needs 6 players
Chicago - 1m per spot, needs 2 players
San Jose - 1m per spot, needs 8 players
Boston - 1.1m per spot, needs 6 players
Carolina - 1.2 per spot, needs 6 players

Every other team has at least 1.5 to spend on filling roles based on the number of spots and cap space. This obviously leads a void of info based on the roles needing to be filled but when we look at our roster we really are only looking at adding 1 forward. That's a large list of people we could potentially move forward towards.

So what could we see:

Vancouver - Luongo, Ballard, Roy, Malholtra, Raymond
Philadelphia - Briere (buyout), Gagne
Tampa - Malone, Purcell, Ohlund, Salo
Chicago - Handzus, Frolik, Montador
San Jose - ???? Anyone not named Couture, Vlasic, Burns, Stuart
Boston - Peverly, Kelly,
Carolina - Ruutu

Honestly, I wouldn't want any of these guys really. Especially at the likely cost (per HF). I'm hoping JK/JD have better options than what I see.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
I don't expect Ryan or Vanek to be a Blue Jacket next year. In fact I expect something more of a Howson-esque kind of signing.

That said this year will be interesting due to amnesty buyouts and the lower cap.

Teams with Issues:
Vancouver - Over the cap
Philadelphia - Over the cap
Tampa - 500k per spot, needs 6 players
Chicago - 1m per spot, needs 2 players
San Jose - 1m per spot, needs 8 players
Boston - 1.1m per spot, needs 6 players
Carolina - 1.2 per spot, needs 6 players

Every other team has at least 1.5 to spend on filling roles based on the number of spots and cap space. This obviously leads a void of info based on the roles needing to be filled but when we look at our roster we really are only looking at adding 1 forward. That's a large list of people we could potentially move forward towards.

So what could we see:

Vancouver - Luongo, Ballard, Roy, Malholtra, Raymond
Philadelphia - Briere (buyout), Gagne
Tampa - Malone, Purcell, Ohlund, Salo
Chicago - Handzus, Frolik, Montador
San Jose - ???? Anyone not named Couture, Vlasic, Burns, Stuart
Boston - Peverly, Kelly,
Carolina - Ruutu

Honestly, I wouldn't want any of these guys really. Especially at the likely cost (per HF). I'm hoping JK/JD have better options than what I see.
It was after looking at the same thing you did here that I decided that a trade would likely be an "off the board" kind of player that most folks outside NHL front offices wouldn't consider. The only player from all of those I might like is Purcell.

And, not really apt to this thread, but I fear Manny's playing days are over.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:41 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I don't see them moving Brewer.
I think they'll try but maybe no one will take him. Unless he doesn't bounce back he's barely #5 at this point, definitely shouldn't play top 4 mins. But Tampa may not get better replacement for next season so they may have to go with him.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
I think they'll try but maybe no one will take him. Unless he doesn't bounce back he's barely #5 at this point, definitely shouldn't play top 4 mins. But Tampa may not get better replacement for next season so they may have to go with him.
Maybe, but they've got bigger fish to fry. I'll be surprised if they even try.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:47 PM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
It was after looking at the same thing you did here that I decided that a trade would likely be an "off the board" kind of player that most folks outside NHL front offices wouldn't consider. The only player from all of those I might like is Purcell.

And, not really apt to this thread, but I fear Manny's playing days are over.
Purcell seemed to play well with Stamkos LOL

Not saying Gabs is Stamkos or anything, but it might be similiar.

Purcell-Johansen-Gaborik?
Cam-Artie-Calvert
Umberger-Dubi-Prospal

those 3 lines could play with about anybody. Except maybe the C-A-C line might be a little small but they could definitely at least skate with anybody.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
Purcell seemed to play well with Stamkos LOL

Not saying Gabs is Stamkos or anything, but it might be similiar.

Purcell-Johansen-Gaborik?
Cam-Artie-Calvert
Umberger-Dubi-Prospal

those 3 lines could play with about anybody. Except maybe the C-A-C line might be a little small but they could definitely at least skate with anybody.
Is Foligno now a 4th line player on Columbus? I also don't see Calvert as a 2nd line type player. He's more a 3rd and would do well with Dubi but that's not for this thread I guess. Foligno has to be in the top 9 somewhere. After a year to adjust to the team, surroundings and style of play I expect more pts next year and he seems to be a 3 zone player. Someone is getting moved....

Old
05-07-2013, 06:49 PM
EDM

Plus he forgot Letestu who has just signed a 2 year contract extension.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:55 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Plus he forgot Letestu who has just signed a 2 year contract extension.
Letestu with Foligno and Comeau on the wings would be a good two-way line with potentially second-line level scoring. I'm not recommending them as a line, its just funny that they were left out of stewpy's top-9. That's what depth does for you, and it makes me think we'd be just as well without bringing in more forwards.

Old
05-07-2013, 08:44 PM
FlaggerX

I have no idea who is available. That's why we have a front office. We can all debate what we want but who in the world thought Marion Gaborik would be a Blue Jacket? Not me, that's for sure. I'm not going to try to predict or speculate what might come up.

Thing is we're already starting off in better shape because we're starting as a team with an identity. We're deep, fast, our grinders can go in late in the game, and we have a solid goalie and blue line. Our scoring will improve next year, in part because of growth of people like RyJo and Camsanity, but really because we've been playing together longer. We were better offensively at the end of the season than the beginning. And I think one of the reason we were better in the third period than the first is because of that depth. We wear people. I think we'll be better still with the people we have. We don't need to be great if Bob is solid and we keep up our in-your-face style checking. We can win as we are, and go a long way in the playoffs provided Bob is hot.

God, how Ken Hitchcock would have loved this team.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:35 PM
CBJfan4evr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaggerX View Post
I have no idea who is available. That's why we have a front office. We can all debate what we want but who in the world thought Marion Gaborik would be a Blue Jacket? Not me, that's for sure. I'm not going to try to predict or speculate what might come up.

Thing is we're already starting off in better shape because we're starting as a team with an identity. We're deep, fast, our grinders can go in late in the game, and we have a solid goalie and blue line. Our scoring will improve next year, in part because of growth of people like RyJo and Camsanity, but really because we've been playing together longer. We were better offensively at the end of the season than the beginning. And I think one of the reason we were better in the third period than the first is because of that depth. We wear people. I think we'll be better still with the people we have. We don't need to be great if Bob is solid and we keep up our in-your-face style checking. We can win as we are, and go a long way in the playoffs provided Bob is hot.

God, how Ken Hitchcock would have loved this team.
So I'll pull out the crystal ball and say we'll go after a PP QB and a lower cost forward with potential.

Old
05-07-2013, 09:40 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

If you're Jarmo, do you take a chance on Skinner? (concussion history and all)

Old
05-07-2013, 10:43 PM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan4evr View Post
So I'll pull out the crystal ball and say we'll go after a PP QB and a lower cost forward with potential.
I was going to say don't add anything, as we've got enough players, though perhaps there's room for another multi-player deal, but we definitely could use a PP QB. Not just a blaster, like Wiz, but I'd love to have a guy like Streit or Gonchar who can direct play and move the puck faster.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:15 PM
Crede777
Deputized

I would not be surprised if we moved another defenseman, especially if Aucoin doesn't retire. Nikitin would be a prime candidate although Wisniewski's contract could also make moving him desirable (and I'm a bigger Wiz fan than most on here considering I still see him as a #3 guy).

Old
05-08-2013, 12:56 AM
slightlystewpid420

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I was going to say don't add anything, as we've got enough players, though perhaps there's room for another multi-player deal, but we definitely could use a PP QB. Not just a blaster, like Wiz, but I'd love to have a guy like Streit or Gonchar who can direct play and move the puck faster.
*cough* Murray *cough*

No honestly I dont know how well he'd be able to QB a pp. Thats just my little fantasy that our #2 overall "NHL ready" defensmen would be able to do that. Having 2 top 3 picked defensemen, I would hope one of them can do that. I really would like to see what Johnson and Murray could do togther though. Hell I'd like to see a Prout-Murray pairing at some point.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:26 AM
major major

Quote:
*cough* Murray *cough*

No honestly I dont know how well he'd be able to QB a pp. Thats just my little fantasy that our #2 overall "NHL ready" defensmen would be able to do that. Having 2 top 3 picked defensemen, I would hope one of them can do that. I really would like to see what Johnson and Murray could do togther though. Hell I'd like to see a Prout-Murray pairing at some point.
That's my fantasy as well, but Dougie Hamilton played well for a rookie and still couldn't elevate the Bruins powerplay. Are there any rookie defencemen who've made that kind of difference?

Old
05-08-2013, 01:49 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
That's my fantasy as well, but Dougie Hamilton played well for a rookie and still couldn't elevate the Bruins powerplay. Are there any rookie defencemen who've made that kind of difference?
No but Johnson can pass the puck while on the PP. Erixon possibly could fit into the mold of Streit as well.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:58 AM
EspenK

While having more or better pp qb's is a good thing, it is not the only thing. Once the forwards get involved the pp breaks down. Another example of why we need a couple of more talented offensive players. Talented in the sense they can pass the puck, receive the puck, move to get into the right spots,etc. Also need much better and consistent presence in front of the net.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
*cough* Murray *cough*

I would be shocked if "our #2 overall "NHL ready" defensmen" didn't start out in Springfield...

Closed Thread