HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-20-2013, 07:28 PM
  #426
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Richards still has a few seasons left but I'd rather trade our way into the Cup playoffs NOW with new players peaking or at their peak instead of wanning.... I say nyt....
For the right deal, sure. However as others have indicted, trading for those players does run the risk of depleting our prospect pool and/or trading valuable roster players. The front office already indicated they will be looking at the FA market, specifically because they think players will be bought out for cap concerns.

What we are looking for now doesn't go up on the trade block very often. Our best bet is to find a forward from a team that is desperate for defensive help, specifically a guy like Wiz or, less desirable, Tyutin. Nikitin simply wouldn't get much done.

blahblah is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 07:46 PM
  #427
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
For the right deal, sure. However as others have indicted, trading for those players does run the risk of depleting our prospect pool and/or trading valuable roster players. The front office already indicated they will be looking at the FA market, specifically because they think players will be bought out for cap concerns.

What we are looking for now doesn't go up on the trade block very often. Our best bet is to find a forward from a team that is desperate for defensive help, specifically a guy like Wiz or, less desirable, Tyutin. Nikitin simply wouldn't get much done.
When I speak of trade I'm thinking draft picks.... (for the most part most of the time)..

I could care less if we draft anyone in the first round to be frank... Historically, first round Blue Jacket picks have had little if any impact on our playoff victories... If the CBJ do move players I’m hoping they are players not considered our current youth core for the future…, older guys perhaps.

Robert is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 07:55 PM
  #428
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
When I speak of trade I'm thinking draft picks.... (for the most part most of the time)
Probably not going to get 'er done.

Who is going to trade a potential or existing scoring forward for a middle and a late 1st round draft pick? The only shot you have is cap strapped teams, but those teams with they type of player we are looking for is very small. Someone else would give a better offer.

Is it possible? Sure. Would I count on it? No. Sure the Rangers would probably give us (or anybody) Richards for any draft pick, but that doesn't mean it would be smart (as an example already used).

I think your position on first round picks is a bit short sighted. If nothing else Jake, Brassard, and Moore have gotten us additional assets. I have no idea what you even mean, to be honest, since we've never even had a playoff victory.

blahblah is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 08:07 PM
  #429
slightlystewpid420
Registered User
 
slightlystewpid420's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
This isn't the same jackets scouting staff that was in place the past. It will be interesting to see who we land. The newest hockeysfuture mock has us taking Lazar. I'd be more than happy with him, a player who broke both Stamkos AND Crosbys point and goal records in the 2011 winter games screams clutch. We need some more clutch kids with motors that don't stop.

slightlystewpid420 is offline  
Old
05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
  #430
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Probably not going to get 'er done.

Who is going to trade a potential or existing scoring forward for a middle and a late 1st round draft pick? The only shot you have is cap strapped teams, but those teams with they type of player we are looking for is very small. Someone else would give a better offer.

Is it possible? Sure. Would I count on it? No. Sure the Rangers would probably give us (or anybody) Richards for any draft pick, but that doesn't mean it would be smart (as an example already used).

I think your position on first round picks is a bit short sighted. If nothing else Jake, Brassard, and Moore have gotten us additional assets. I have no idea what you even mean, to be honest, since we've never even had a playoff victory.
What is it now? 13 first round picks or more? Yes, we have gotten some assets from the players you mentioned but if the barometer of our first round picks is measured on the assets we get after trading them why wait.. ?

An unknown CBJ first round pick could very well be worth more than a known one…

Robert is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:13 AM
  #431
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlystewpid420 View Post
This isn't the same jackets scouting staff that was in place the past. It will be interesting to see who we land. The newest hockeysfuture mock has us taking Lazar. I'd be more than happy with him, a player who broke both Stamkos AND Crosbys point and goal records in the 2011 winter games screams clutch. We need some more clutch kids with motors that don't stop.
Which mock were you talking about? This hockey writers mock (not any more professional than hockeysfuture, I know) has us going with Lazar, Klimchuk, and Hagg. Color me unimpressed by all 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
What is it now? 13 first round picks or more? Yes, we have gotten some assets from the players you mentioned but if the barometer of our first round picks is measured on the assets we get after trading them why wait.. ?

An unknown CBJ first round pick could very well be worth more than a known one…
That's an excellent point to show how weak player development has been in CBJ history, but we've got a whole league to learn from, and the lesson is that drafting and developing players works.

major major is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 07:42 AM
  #432
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
What is it now? 13 first round picks or more? Yes, we have gotten some assets from the players you mentioned but if the barometer of our first round picks is measured on the assets we get after trading them why wait.. ?

An unknown CBJ first round pick could very well be worth more than a known one…
No, people are just reluctant to trade a developed or close to ready asset for someone that isn't developed at all. That is why draft picks are generally currency to finalize a deal or trade deadline deal(s).

Draft picks only are rare for roster players, outside of trade deadline deals, beyond role players or "damaged" (performance decline, character issues, inflated contracts) players.

blahblah is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
  #433
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Richards still has a few seasons left but I'd rather trade our way into the Cup playoffs NOW with new players peaking or at their peak instead of wanning.... I say nyt....
This makes me cringe.

I understand your philosophy and it certainly has its merits, but I am dead set against it. Those draft picks can go a long way towards establishing this team as a competitive force for years to come. Yes they are not 100%, they never are, but 3 1st rounders in a deep class like this, is a very enviable position to be in.

Nordique is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:19 PM
  #434
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
This makes me cringe.

I understand your philosophy and it certainly has its merits, but I am dead set against it. Those draft picks can go a long way towards establishing this team as a competitive force for years to come. Yes they are not 100%, they never are, but 3 1st rounders in a deep class like this, is a very enviable position to be in.
For the right deal, I would have no issue moving one. But, like you, I would like to use our picks to draft players. We are a bit thin on forward, at least on anything resembling top six and some of those that projects to top six (or not at all, high risk players) are projects (Tynan, maybe Zaar) and no where close to being ready. We really need to restock our forward depth with top six talent.

Next season outside of Jenner, our only other real option is JAM.

That Mayorov is still on our prospect list is amusing.

I would rather use some of our defensive depth to get another forward or use the FA pool (the latter is actually my preference).

blahblah is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:33 PM
  #435
Nordique
Registered User
 
Nordique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 7,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
For the right deal, I would have no issue moving one. But, like you, I would like to use our picks to draft players. We are a bit thin on forward, at least on anything resembling top six and some of those that projects to top six (or not at all, high risk players) are projects (Tynan, maybe Zaar) and no where close to being ready. We really need to restock our forward depth with top six talent.

Next season outside of Jenner, our only other real option is JAM.

That Mayorov is still on our prospect list is amusing.

I would rather use some of our defensive depth to get another forward or use the FA pool (the latter is actually my preference).
I agree, if we can get a premium return, those picks are in play.

Mayorov. Yeah, we need to restock the shelves.

Zaar just turned 19. Would love to see more of him this season, maybe in the AHL...kid can shoot the puck. Another late round gem...why don't our 1st round picks work out?

Nordique is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 12:45 PM
  #436
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Zaar just turned 19. Would love to see more of him this season, maybe in the AHL...kid can shoot the puck. Another late round gem.
Could very well be another gem. Not sure when they are going to concentrate on getting that ELC signed.

blahblah is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:22 PM
  #437
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 13,874
vCash: 500
i have had this feeling that we're going to trade for Scott Hartnell...no basis for it...but more i think about him playing golf with Boll and company at Muirfield a couple weeks ago, the more I feel that was a wooing outing more than just friends playing golf...

Fro is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:24 PM
  #438
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
I agree, if we can get a premium return, those picks are in play.

Mayorov. Yeah, we need to restock the shelves.

Zaar just turned 19. Would love to see more of him this season, maybe in the AHL...kid can shoot the puck. Another late round gem...why don't our 1st round picks work out?
I'm also a Zaar fan. Don't we have to wait until he's 20 for the AHL? (I hate that stupid rule)

leesmith is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:27 PM
  #439
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 13,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I'm also a Zaar fan. Don't we have to wait until he's 20 for the AHL? (I hate that stupid rule)
no, he's in europe...not CHL...but he'll stay in Sweden next year if I remember correctly from CBJ Prospects

Fro is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 02:49 PM
  #440
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i have had this feeling that we're going to trade for Scott Hartnell...no basis for it...but more i think about him playing golf with Boll and company at Muirfield a couple weeks ago, the more I feel that was a wooing outing more than just friends playing golf...
Interesting player. Can be wildly inconsistent for a pretty substantial cap hit. Could be a target for a trade. Probably premature to discuss wooing since that might imply that the framework for a deal is done waiting on the playoffs to finish. They probably aren't going to woo out of the blue unless Hartnell already knows something, such as he's a buyout candidate or they mentioned they are going to shop him.

blahblah is offline  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:05 PM
  #441
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 13,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Interesting player. Can be wildly inconsistent for a pretty substantial cap hit. Could be a target for a trade. Probably premature to discuss wooing since that might imply that the framework for a deal is done waiting on the playoffs to finish. They probably aren't going to woo out of the blue unless Hartnell already knows something, such as he's a buyout candidate or they mentioned they are going to shop him.
true...a framework of a deal could be in place and boll and company may have shown him the town etc...could be absolutely nothing...could just be 4 guys that have played against each other hanging out...just something about it has stuck with me as odd though...

Fro is online now  
Old
05-21-2013, 03:06 PM
  #442
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
woo out of the blue
This, I love.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassé is online now  
Old
05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
  #443
Double-Shift Lassé
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassé's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,510
vCash: 500
Stolen from the trade forum:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...11&postcount=1

Quote:
According to two league sources, Alexander Burmistrov has no intention of re-signing with the Winnipeg Jets.
He is slated for restricted free agency. Burmistrov reportedly wanted to be dealt at the trade deadline and despite discussions with Ottawa, Buffalo and the New York Islanders, the Jets were unsuccessful in moving him. His agent, Mark Gandler, wouldn't say much about the matter, but he did say that "Alex is not going to sign in the KHL." Burmistrov hasn't been very productive in three seasons, with 23 goals and 35 assists in 194 career contests, but he's still just 21 years of age so it might be too early to label him as a bust.


http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...208450711.html

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...-headlines?r=1

Double-Shift Lassé is online now  
Old
05-22-2013, 10:13 AM
  #444
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey
 
Fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Drinking With Carts
Country: United States
Posts: 13,874
vCash: 500
saw that and was wondering about what it would take...and if we wanted him...would be an interesting move to make

Fro is online now  
Old
05-22-2013, 04:46 PM
  #445
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey
 
Timeless Winter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 16,005
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
ATTN: Mayor Bee

Timeless Winter is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
  #446
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
ATTN: Mayor Bee
Don't worry, I've been paying close attention.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 10:41 PM
  #447
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
true...a framework of a deal could be in place and boll and company may have shown him the town etc...could be absolutely nothing...could just be 4 guys that have played against each other hanging out...just something about it has stuck with me as odd though...
Let's not forget the Flyers are division rivals now. I can't see them trading him within the division. He is also 31 and has a 4.75 cap hit for 6 more seasons. We have more than enough guys signed long term like that. No way we take him on unless another long term salary goes somewhere else.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline  
Old
05-22-2013, 10:50 PM
  #448
major major
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Let's not forget the Flyers are division rivals now. I can't see them trading him within the division. He is also 31 and has a 4.75 cap hit for 6 more seasons. We have more than enough guys signed long term like that. No way we take him on unless another long term salary goes somewhere else.
Are folks aware that Hartnell is one of the very few wingers out there who makes more than Umberger who also scored less than Umberger this year? I'm assuming the only way we get Hartnell is for Umberger, or if Hartnell is bought-out.

major major is online now  
Old
05-23-2013, 05:39 AM
  #449
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,767
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Are folks aware that Hartnell is one of the very few wingers out there who makes more than Umberger who also scored less than Umberger this year? I'm assuming the only way we get Hartnell is for Umberger, or if Hartnell is bought-out.
Of course Hartnell played in 32 games vs 48 for Umbie. Just sayin'. For a mill or so after a buyout maybe but other than that no thanks. I think I'd rather take a flyer on Comeau as our 13th forward.

EspenK is offline  
Old
05-23-2013, 07:57 AM
  #450
Iron Balls McGinty
Registered User
 
Iron Balls McGinty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sec. 203/Worthington
Country: United States
Posts: 1,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Are folks aware that Hartnell is one of the very few wingers out there who makes more than Umberger who also scored less than Umberger this year? I'm assuming the only way we get Hartnell is for Umberger, or if Hartnell is bought-out.
I was headed there in a similar way. If Philly gets rid of Hartnell, it will be because they need to drop salary in the new cap environment. I can't see them buying him out unless they buyout Bryz too. There is no way Hartnell gets bought out and Bryz stays. Philly doesn't want or need Umberger back because they need to drop salary.

Basically, I don't see Hartnell getting bought out. Philly certainly will avoid trading him to a division rival. Hartnell is essentially a different version of Umberger. Good for 20-25 goals and that is about it. His 37 goals 2 years ago was because he was with Giroux on the ice. Both he and Giroux regressed this year without Jagr on the team. I don't see him ever replicating that production.

Iron Balls McGinty is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.