HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds fire Associate Coach Peter Horachek, Hire Phil Housley as Assistant Coach

Old
05-20-2013, 09:30 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 500
Preds fire Associate Coach Peter Horachek, Hire Phil Housley as Assistant Coach

according to darren pang, your assistant coach has been fired.

Quote:
Darren R Pang ‏@Panger40 6m
In advance of #Preds announcing this:
I am floored that Ass't Coach Peter Horachek has been fired today. He and Trotz have been great.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 05-21-2013 at 04:57 PM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:43 PM
NoNecksCurse

won't miss him, at all. next is the flow. and no neck

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
trotzian brow

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Yeah, I just saw that on Twitter. Can anyone confirm?

Definitely didn't see this coming. Who's taking his place?

Would Peterson ever get behind the bench again?

trotzian brow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 09:56 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Don't care. We need an overhaul IMO. It's time for a new look preds team

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:07 PM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotzian brow View Post
Yeah, I just saw that on Twitter. Can anyone confirm?

Definitely didn't see this coming. Who's taking his place?

Would Peterson ever get behind the bench again?
no, Petey can't get behind the bench...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:13 PM
Legionnaire11

Overdue IMO, I liked him plenty but it always seemed like his area of responsibility was the weak link... But I don't expect anyone much different to be brought in next, so this move doesn't really promote optimism either.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
won't miss him, at all. next is the flow. and no neck

Now thats funny

Flo from the Progressive commercials

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Who cares.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

If he is indeed fired, it's shocking given the team's post season comments. Assuming Pang is correct, it does mean even more of a shakeup for next season. The big question is who do they bring in to replace him. Don't rejoice too quickly ... the next guy is yet unknown.

101st_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 10:58 PM
hockey diva

Hallelujah! If this is true. I have wanted both Trotz and Horachek gone for a couple of seasons. One down, one to go.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Soundgarden

Wow, a busy off-season already, what with the Hornqvist re-signing, and the playoffs aren't even over.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I'm praying we can land Guy Boucher

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2013, 11:26 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'm praying we can land Guy Boucher

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:52 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Talking about possibilities on Twitter tonight with Jim Diamond from the Nashville Examiner and the name we came around to was Phil Housley.

Signed by Poile in Washington while Trotz was in organization, played with Fenton in Winnipeg, coached US to WJC gold and World Championship bronze with Poile as team general manager and with Trotz over there coaching Canada.

Can't figure out what Horachek did to get fired at this stage, but if the team is as to land Housley to coach the defense and PP, then it is a huge victory. Interestingly, the Preds would not confirm or deny this late last night. Should be an interesting day tomorrow...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 05:09 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
can only think that either ownership put pressure on Poile to do something to demonstrate that this years results are unacceptable or else there is disagreement among the coaching staff as to how to move forward and improve and Horacek's opinion lost out. but as others have said really a weird timing for dismissal of an assistant coach

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:38 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

I like the thought of Phil Housely as coach of the D and the PP except he wasn't an outstanding defender himself. He was a great PMD and I mean great. I hope he can coach D better than he played it. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't known for it. The good thing is we get more of an offensive minded coach in there to balance out the staff. I've felt that we were dominated by guys who knew the two way game or defense more than they knew what to do once we got into the offensive zone. Hope it's true because the guy is one of the best American players ever to play the game.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:49 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
can only think that either ownership put pressure on Poile to do something to demonstrate that this years results are unacceptable or else there is disagreement among the coaching staff as to how to move forward and improve and Horacek's opinion lost out. but as others have said really a weird timing for dismissal of an assistant coach
Agreed. Only thing I can think of (beside the possible disagreement) is maybe trying to get a new coach in place before the draft (if that even makes a difference)? I guess for additional input/scouting?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:51 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I like the thought of Phil Housely as coach of the D and the PP except he wasn't an outstanding defender himself. He was a great PMD and I mean great. I hope he can coach D better than he played it. He wasn't terrible but he wasn't known for it. The good thing is we get more of an offensive minded coach in there to balance out the staff. I've felt that we were dominated by guys who knew the two way game or defense more than they knew what to do once we got into the offensive zone. Hope it's true because the guy is one of the best American players ever to play the game.
Sorry, just to clarify as it was late and I was typing from my phone last night, Housley is purely our speculation and hope for a replacement. What the Preds still were not confirming was Horachek's status, not the identity of any potential replacement.

I apologize for any confusion.

A few other names I suggested on Twitter last night were Scott Walker (Guelph head coach - OHL), Drake Berehowsky (Orlando head coach - ECHL), and John Slaney (Portland assistant coach - AHL). All three have connections to Poile/Trotz and have background as an NHL defenseman with Walker first coming up as a D before switching to wing. One other interesting name that was suggested to me was Ulf Samuelsson. Samuelsson left Phoenix to become a head coach in the SEL a few seasons ago. He is apparently looking to make the jump back to North America this summer.

Windsor owner/GM Bob Boughner was a name thrown out a lot last night too, but left Columbus after one season citing travel conflicts with his family and OHL interests as the cause. Would be a good hire, but I'd consider him to be a long shot.

Horachek moved over to coach the defense when Peterson was forced to leave the bench. I believe that the new hire would likely have a background as an NHL defenseman due to the fact that there is not one on staff currently. Going back to Suter's post-game comment a couple seasons ago about the changes, I believe there has been some ruffled feathers in the relationship between the D and coaching staff since Peterson moved upstairs. They respected the heck out of Peterson.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Sounds like a fall guy for a tough season, but surprising given Poile's earlier comments that we would stay the course. The only thing that makes sense to me is that A) Lambert, who was being groomed for the top spot, may not be panning out, and B) another great option became available / showed interest.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Bizarre move, but as long as we bring in an offensive guy, no complaints. It's all speculation as to why he's gone, but I could definety see a philosophy disagreement.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:13 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

SLake, no need to apologize for the Housley comments at all. I think he'd be a great fit if he's available. And while it's speculation I think it's good speculation.

I got to thinking about this move and was wondering if what Volde said might be on the money. Maybe the ownership said to Poile, we just came off a horrible season and you're not making any moves with the staff? Maybe they said, make a move for motivational purposes. Who knows, maybe they said to him, remove one of the assistants and tell Trotz if things don't improve, you're next. I've seen this happen in other sports as well and honestly that doesn't bode well for Trotz. Immense amount of pressure out of the gate to perform. Then again, maybe this was a philosophical difference on where the team is going and maybe the felt Horachek isn't the guy.

Of the choices mentioned by SLake earlier, Boughner would be my first choice but I think he wants to stay close to his family and his team. Can't blame him for that. I would look at Walker next. He was the epitome of heart and effort in the early years and turned himself into a pretty good player. I know he'd be working with the D but he'd also be a perfect guy to mentor some of the younger grinder type guys. If anyone could do that it would be him.

It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. Maybe someone became available they couldn't pass up either and decided to let Horachek go because of it. Who knows.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 10:16 AM
PFL615

Sounds like part of the something has to be changed talk by the Preds after the season. Hopefully they stand by needing to break up the having a whole offense full of two way forwards, grinder, and "energy" guys.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 11:55 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Windsor owner/GM Bob Boughner was a name thrown out a lot last night too,

Going back to Suter's post-game comment a couple seasons ago about the changes, I believe there has been some ruffled feathers in the relationship between the D and coaching staff since Peterson moved upstairs. They respected the heck out of Peterson.
I'd love to see Boughner back with the Preds. He was one of my favorites when the Preds came to Nashville.

What were the post game comments by Suter? He was always whining so you have consider his attitude when evaluating his comments. But Horachek had a way of saying the unpopular. He certainly pissed off a lot fans when he criticized our lack of support after a game.

I'm ambivalent with this move until I see a marked upgrade. I think that if it were Trotz's decision (and it should be his) it would have been made at the end of the season. Unless the move was based on his contract expiration/term, the timing makes me think there are reasons other than his performance behind the bench.

Last edited by WartracePred: 05-21-2013 at 01:19 PM.
WartracePred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:00 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I wonder if he asked to interview in Dallas?

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 01:30 PM
sighthndlady

Well, it's official:

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=671497

Last edited by sighthndlady: 05-21-2013 at 01:33 PM. Reason: didn't get the link
sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote