Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BRUINS Vs. LEAFS pre-series talk

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 06:18 AM
bostonphoenix

vCash: 500
I simply can't make myself believe in them.

You can't lose to Buffalo/Philly/Ottawa as they just did and think you're going to beat a stronger team in a best of 7.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:23 AM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

These trades seem like a long time ago, Bruins have won the cup, but the subplot to add to this series is Kessel, Colborne, and Liles(2nd rd pick)are likely playing for the Leafs this series and Seguin and Hamilton will likely play for the Bruins.

Joe has been coming a long slowly, he had a wrist injury that took awhile to get healthy, he has no points in 4 games since being recalled, but has been progressing every game with us. Been much more noticable, Bruins fans may be surprised how far his skating has come.

Notice Hamilton is like Gardiner with us, both sitting out as Carlyle and Julien prefer to go with veterans as opposed to younger high picks with potential but make mistakes.

This is the series I wanted, most Leafs fans wanted the Habs, but I wanted to face the Bruins, a lot of similarities between us, I view this series as a battle of men, may the best team win, it's a honourable match up.

To play Montreal would have been akin to playing a bunch of diving backstabbing smurfs, that rely on the refs, hide behind the refs. I don't like the Bruins, but I do respect their team and fans and thus this a much better match up to me.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:41 AM
GloryDaze4877
Stone Clode 3:17

I thought Kelly, who is normally very responsible in the D zone, looked worse than Soderberg. Kelly lost Condra on the 1st goal, and looked like he was running around a bit. Soderberg did look pretty comfortable when he has been at C.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:41 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
I saw good things even in their last three losses that they hadn't had the majority of this season; I'm choosing to be optimistic. While they punked themselves, and lost out on the division, I think that can be a great motivational tool. Add to that: they'll have to match Toronto's energy and I think that will wake these slow-to-wake-up-Bears.

I think we can shut their offense down - save for Grabovski, I'm not a stat guy, but he always seems to have a key point in every game against the Bruins.

JVR has played well against the Bruins, too. But I think we can shut them down.

To me, this is the 'wake up' series. I'm hoping by the team we beat them in six game, that we'll be looking more polished.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:44 AM
ObjectiveOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
These trades seem like a long time ago, Bruins have won the cup, but the subplot to add to this series is Kessel, Colborne, and Liles(2nd rd pick)are likely playing for the Leafs this series and Seguin and Hamilton will likely play for the Bruins.

Joe has been coming a long slowly, he had a wrist injury that took awhile to get healthy, he has no points in 4 games since being recalled, but has been progressing every game with us. Been much more noticable, Bruins fans may be surprised how far his skating has come.

Notice Hamilton is like Gardiner with us, both sitting out as Carlyle and Julien prefer to go with veterans as opposed to younger high picks with potential but make mistakes.

This is the series I wanted, most Leafs fans wanted the Habs, but I wanted to face the Bruins, a lot of similarities between us, I view this series as a battle of men, may the best team win, it's a honourable match up.

To play Montreal would have been akin to playing a bunch of diving backstabbing smurfs, that rely on the refs, hide behind the refs. I don't like the Bruins, but I do respect their team and fans and thus this a much better match up to me.
Dougie hasn't been sitting because he's making mistakes, he's been sitting because he's played more hockey than god over the past year and a half. Claude has said before that he has tremendous trust in the kid. I think he plays every game.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:49 AM
YzerGuy
Overpaid 4th Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjectiveOpinion View Post
Dougie hasn't been sitting because he's making mistakes, he's been sitting because he's played more hockey than god over the past year and a half. Claude has said before that he has tremendous trust in the kid. I think he plays every game.
Not sure how many B's fans on HF actually believe that but I think it's very few. You don't go "all in" for the division title and not play someone you trust if they can help you win.

EDIT: As someone said b4 Dougie could have a lingering injury that has not been disclosed or something also.

Last edited by YzerGuy: 04-29-2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 06:51 AM
Fire Sweeney

A 20 year old could play 150 games in a season. He isn't a goalie, he plays 16-18 minutes per game.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:54 AM
5Minutes4Fighting
Killer B's!

Jagr back. Horton back. Hamilton back. Scoring back. Bruins in 5.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:01 AM
GloryDaze4877

Best possible matchup of the teams they could have faced, and not because TOR is bad, but because TOR is physical. I think there was a possibility that either OTT or NYI lulled the B's to sleep so to speak. TOR is chippier than the other two teams and BOS-TOR seem to dislike each other quite a bit. Perfect recipe for what is ailing the B's is to go up against a team who will get in their grill. I am actually hoping that TOR comes out nasty and pokes the bear, will be the best thing that could happen, IMO.

As far as Carlyle out-coaching Clode...I don't see it.

It's the fashionable thing to bash Clode, but the guy has been here for 6 years, made the playoffs each year (after inheriting a disaster of a team), and is now the second winningest coach in B's history. Every year the B's are amongst the strongest teams defensively, and a few of those years they have been at it near the top in scoring. In the last few games, it looks like he is adjusting the breakout and finally going with less D to D stuff (I think a lot of this had to do with the B's lack of a true PMD).

The B's need to get the back to basics by getting the puck deep and bringing the pain. Everything else follows.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:02 AM
rudos1

I would have liked to see this matchup a week or two ago but the way the Bz played at the stretch worries me that we won't get past any team. If we don't score more than two goals any games we are toast...

Old
04-29-2013, 07:10 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

I have no idea what to expect with this team.

After we lost last night's game I had that depressed feeling like we just got eliminated. So I'm obviously prepared for the worst. This team is an enigma. The talent is there to win the whole thing though. So we'll see how it comes together.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:15 AM
remer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
If you line it up:

Offense: TOR > BOS: Toronto has a sorta deep lineup (Kessel, Lupul, Kadri) and guys like MacArthur, Grabovski and such while ours is deeper it isn't even assured it's all gonna show up to play so Toronto has the advantage imo

Defense: BOS > TOR: Toronto's defense kind of hurts from playing Phaneuf so much every night, not enough guys to pick up the slack.

Goaltending: BOS > TOR: Reimer is solid but isn't Rask, both have the potential to steal games, Rask has gotten used to it over the last 6 weeks or so

Special Teams: Even (Boston has the awesome penalty kill to match Toronto's power play while Toronto has a serviceable enough PK to match our PP...not that is a huge deal)

Coaching: TOR > BOS: some might disagree with this, simply put Carlye has made quite the penchant for upsets in the playoffs (See: San Jose in 2009 and their run to the conference final in 06) his style is made for playoff hockey, the name of the game is hitting the opponent and planting that seed of doubt. Claude's style works well too but the problem is he needs all of his troops to be chipping in to make it work, which obviously isn't the case. (This would be also different if this team played with any semblance of the big bad B's but we haven't seen it in a long time, who's to say it's gonna show up now? They are the bullied now, not the bullies)

I recently posted Boston would win this but the more i look at it i have a feeling Toronto is gonna pull out a somewhat surprising series win..just a bad feeling.

Leafs in 6 or 7 and may god help me (When your best friend is a Leafs fan who's been waiting for a chance to talk smack, you know the day will come but you're truly never ready for it >_>)
This is a series the Leafs can win. Boston looks horrible. Something is wrong. Either they have quit on Julien or there are problems in the locker room. They have been simply terrible the las t while. They deserve to be defeated by the Leafs.

On paper Boston looks superior but in heart the Leafs might win this.

Offense: Leafs have better snipers than the Bruins. The Leafs can score in bunches and the Bruins are usually par for 1 to 2 goals a night.

Defense: Bruins should be stronger, but lack a transition game. Chara has been horrible of late and Seids hasn't great either. Hamilton brings offense but Julien would rather he sit in the pressbox. Leafs defense is bad but they might be able to handle a useless Bruin offense.

Goaltending: Most NHL goalies can look like Vezina candidates against the Bruins. Boston just seems to have very little creativity around the net. Reimer could be a superstar or fall flat on his face. Tuukka will be more consistent, but he is no Tim Thomas and seems to not bail his team out when they really need him.

Special Teams: There is nothing special about Boston's Powerplay. It simply sucks! It has for the past three years. Nothing will change here. Ward should have been fired a long time ago. Penalty killing has suffered down the stretch. Boston has taken dump penalties and it has cost them games. Plus they don't skate very fast, which means they don't draw many penalties. If Toronto wins the series, it will be due to Special Teams.

Coaching: Toronto wins this one. Claude is stubborn and has little ability to change things on the fly. He is one poor series away from being fired. He seems to have lost the team. Caryle has been known to coach teams to upsets over team favourites and he just might do it again.

Overall: The Bruins should be able to win this series, but a Leafs team who have not been in the playoffs for a while might just outwork the Bruins. The Leafs will show more heart and termination. We have been told for awhile now that the Bruins need to play their best hockey and that they can dominate a team, but the last month of results has shown the opposite. Most big games this year that Boston needed to win have resulted in loses. It will be no upset if Toronto wins this series.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:19 AM
Bad Hat Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Minutes4Fighting View Post
Jagr back. Horton back. Hamilton back. Scoring back. Bruins in 5.
I would be shocked if Clode dressed Hamilton over Redden

Old
04-29-2013, 07:21 AM
panny2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Best possible matchup of the teams they could have faced, and not because TOR is bad, but because TOR is physical. I think there was a possibility that either OTT or NYI lulled the B's to sleep so to speak. TOR is chippier than the other two teams and BOS-TOR seem to dislike each other quite a bit. Perfect recipe for what is ailing the B's is to go up against a team who will get in their grill. I am actually hoping that TOR comes out nasty and pokes the bear, will be the best thing that could happen, IMO.

As far as Carlyle out-coaching Clode...I don't see it.

It's the fashionable thing to bash Clode, but the guy has been here for 6 years, made the playoffs each year (after inheriting a disaster of a team), and is now the second winningest coach in B's history. Every year the B's are amongst the strongest teams defensively, and a few of those years they have been at it near the top in scoring. In the last few games, it looks like he is adjusting the breakout and finally going with less D to D stuff (I think a lot of this had to do with the B's lack of a true PMD).

The B's need to get the back to basics by getting the puck deep and bringing the pain. Everything else follows.
i'll bash clode for last night cause at the five minute mark of the 3rd he decided to shrink his bench and choose dogman over kelly. he put pevs with lucic and krejci than threw bergy line out and followed it up with dogman and paille and campbell. '
the 3rd goal was on the partial 4th line. why he sat thornton for dog that shift either is baffling to me because of how well the 4th has been playing in the last bunch of games. pevs scored the pp goal but that was kinda lucky in my mind because 20 seconds prior pevs was the one to make a bone headed pass from the corner that cleared the zone instead of just relaxing and holding the puck in the corner. what ever the coaches are doing to this group on the pp is mind boggling. the guys that have been around claude longer are programmed to go the corner and get the puck back to the point. They have become so overly predictable its pathetic. seguin and marchand for some reason lost there patience and i don't see boston doing much if they can't put the puck in the net

Old
04-29-2013, 07:22 AM
Bad Hat Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
Goaltending: Most NHL goalies can look like Vezina candidates against the Bruins. Boston just seems to have very little creativity around the net. Reimer could be a superstar or fall flat on his face. Tuukka will be more consistent, but he is no Tim Thomas and seems to not bail his team out when they really need him.
2 GAA, (6th in NHL), .929 SV% (3rd in NHL) and 5 SO (1st in NHL) and he can't get any respect

Old
04-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Haven't been on here in the past few days, am I in the minority of people who actually wants to play TOR over the other two teams? Or are most people in my line of thinking?

Also, when is game 1?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonphoenix View Post

You can't lose to Buffalo/Philly/Ottawa as they just did and think you're going to beat a stronger team in a best of 7.
So....by this logic, the Pens, having lost games to non playoff teams such as the Jets/Devils x 3/Buffalo x 2/Panthers, do you feel the same about the Pens chances this post season??

Regular season means jack all, watched too many stacked/heavy favourite teams flame out quick, seen too many inferior teams get the breaks for a series, maybe a hot goalie, a lucky bounce etc...

ya never know, am I optimistic with this Bruin team??? I always try to be optimistic, there`s many questions about the team, but I`ve also seen Bruin teams who have played exceptionally well heading into the playoffs leave me disappointed.

We`ll find out starting Wednesday

Leafs have lost 4 out of their final 6

Bruins have won 1 game in theirs, hardly two teams riding a hot streak heading into the series

Old
04-29-2013, 07:26 AM
TCL40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonphoenix View Post

Pretty sure a lot of play off teams were losing to Philly towards the end of the season.

But this team was limping into the playoffs and I still don't think I have seen them play with any sense of urgency all season. They don't seem to have a killer instinct or a strong mental game.

I also think our older players are starting to show their age.

Seguin and Marchand IMO have been disappointing the last few weeks. They are playing with speed but they are making a lot of bone headed decisions.

One bright spot-or really two-Lucic seems to be finding his game just in time for the playoffs and I think the leafs are a good matchup for him. Redden is pre loving to be a serviceable third pairing d-man. So while I think it likely that the Bruins won't be losing their first this year I think they will be losing their 6th. I would like to see Dougie in for Mcquaid but figure with the Leafs and Julien Dougie will probably be a scratch.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:29 AM
GloryDaze4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by remer View Post
This is a series the Leafs can win. Boston looks horrible. Something is wrong. Either they have quit on Julien or there are problems in the locker room. They have been simply terrible the las t while. They deserve to be defeated by the Leafs.

On paper Boston looks superior but in heart the Leafs might win this.

Offense: Leafs have better snipers than the Bruins. The Leafs can score in bunches and the Bruins are usually par for 1 to 2 goals a night.

Defense: Bruins should be stronger, but lack a transition game. Chara has been horrible of late and Seids hasn't great either. Hamilton brings offense but Julien would rather he sit in the pressbox. Leafs defense is bad but they might be able to handle a useless Bruin offense.

Special Teams: There is nothing special about Boston's Powerplay. It simply sucks! It has for the past three years. Nothing will change here. Ward should have been fired a long time ago. Penalty killing has suffered down the stretch. Boston has taken dump penalties and it has cost them games. Plus they don't skate very fast, which means they don't draw many penalties. If Toronto wins the series, it will be due to Special Teams.

Coaching: Toronto wins this one. Claude is stubborn and has little ability to change things on the fly. He is one poor series away from being fired. He seems to have lost the team. Caryle has been known to coach teams to upsets over team favourites and he just might do it again.

Overall: The Bruins should be able to win this series, but a Leafs team who have not been in the playoffs for a while might just outwork the Bruins. The Leafs will show more heart and termination. We have been told for awhile now that the Bruins need to play their best hockey and that they can dominate a team, but the last month of results has shown the opposite. Most big games this year that Boston needed to win have resulted in loses. It will be no upset if Toronto wins this series.
1) Pure speculation on your part, and I would be willing to bet there are big personnel changes this offseason before Clode is fired.

2) Enough with the Tuukka is no Tim Thomas BS. Rask's numbers and play have been excellent (and so has Dobie's), and I blame the lack of success on not enough scoring and mental breakdowns by the B's in their own end.

3) Have you watched TOR of late? They have struggled almost as much as the B's have, and IMO provide the best matchup for the B's in the 1st round (as opposed to OTT or NYI).

4) B's seem to be having some execution issues, not tuning out the coach, as you suggest. Things like the PK and PP suffer the most when there is a lack of practice time, and it has showed on the PK of late. The B's have until Wed to iron out the kinks, so I expect the PK to be better.

5) The one thing I agree with you on is that whomever is running the PP for the B's needs to be canned (presumably Ward). Its been 3 years plus of ineptitude on the PP. I get that the B's lost Savard and that has greatly affected the PP, but they should have gotten over this long ago.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:31 AM
ODAAT

11 pages and I haven`t sifted through them all but anyone else but myself asked "how will Rask be in the playoffs"???

The last I saw TR in the playoffs, he was tired, couldn`t make a save, couldn`t control a rebound and the group in front of him weren`t helping either. He`s older, hopefully more mature, but I wouldn`t exactly place him miles ahead of Reimer seeing as he`s played in exactly 2 more playoff series than Reimer

I would however say this, been a long time where a goalie seemingly has made as many saves as Reimer looking like he has no clue where the puck came from, nor where the rebound went.....shoot shoot and shoot

Old
04-29-2013, 07:33 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
1) Pure speculation on your part, and I would be willing to bet there are big personnel changes this offseason before Clode is fired.

2) Enough with the Tuukka is no Tim Thomas BS. Rask's numbers and play have been excellent (and so has Dobie's), and I blame the lack of success on not enough scoring and mental breakdowns by the B's in their own end.

3) Have you watched TOR of late? They have struggled almost as much as the B's have, and IMO provide the best matchup for the B's in the 1st round (as opposed to OTT or NYI).

4) B's seem to be having some execution issues, not tuning out the coach, as you suggest. Things like the PK and PP suffer the most when there is a lack of practice time, and it has showed on the PK of late. The B's have until Wed to iron out the kinks, so I expect the PK to be better.

5) The one thing I agree with you on is that whomever is running the PP for the B's needs to be canned (presumably Ward). Its been 3 years plus of ineptitude on the PP. I get that the B's lost Savard and that has greatly affected the PP, but they should have gotten over this long ago.
#5 is a killer, even if the PP doesn`t score, if it somehow is effective enough to produce some opportunities which builds momentum, I`d be relatively happy, but it doesn`t.

This PP is a team deflator

Old
04-29-2013, 07:34 AM
TP
Global Moderator

Awards:
This series already has me sick to my stomach. If we can stay in Kessel's head, we should win. I just have a bad feeling Kessel is going to kill us.

04-29-2013, 07:37 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
This series already has me sick to my stomach. If we can stay in Kessel's head, we should win. I just have a bad feeling Kessel is going to kill us.
Nah, see no reason why after what??? 2-3 season`s of horrific play against the Bruins he`ll now pick them apart, I see more of the same, fear in the eyes of Kessel streaking down the right wing towards #33, then do a dump in, or peel off

I`d wager Seguin will be having Leaf fans screaming repeatedly at Burke when all is said and done in spite of his sluggish game the last few weeks and Hamilton will score the goal that ends up clinching the series

Old
04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
duckchobbins

Am I the only one concerned that the next game Boston plays will be a playoff game, and we still have no idea who is going to be healthy/scratched/banged up, or more importantly; what the heck are the lines?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Kiss My Rask
Enforce Boston

Gets excited and seems game 1 is Wednesday at 7

Realizes he has class Wednesday 7-945pm and it's finals review

That's my life just now *FACEDESK*

Closed Thread