HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurricanes Off Season Thread: When Tlusty doesn't score 40, who will be to blame?

View Poll Results: When Tlusty doesn't hit 40 next year, whose fault will it be?
Eric Staal's Leadership 16 5.80%
Kirk Muller's Coaching 4 1.45%
Patrick Eaves' Shoe Collection 25 9.06%
Defense 5 1.81%
Lack of depth everywhere 5 1.81%
Special Teams 3 1.09%
No team toughness 10 3.62%
JR needs to go!!! 5 1.81%
NO FLAGS AT CENTER ICE!?! 203 73.55%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 02:29 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

vCash: 500
Plus, if you're using the fantasy calculator, you're missing Jokinen's $900,000 retained salary.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:31 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Yeah I've got it at about 3.5M over with Corvo at 300k because I'm not sure what the league minimum is. Also Dwyer is still around and you don't have him in the lineup.
Looks like it's $550,000 for next year.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Roboturner913

If we're making imaginary teams on capgeek:

Trade McBain for a pick, 3rd or 4th round, whatever. Just get him gone. Sign Scuderi for the second pair and Kurtis Foster for the 3rd. Keep Bergeron to run the PP and let Murphy get a year in Charlotte. Sign Curtis McElhinney or Cedrick Desjardins as the backup G. Rask and Nichushkin/Monahan make the jump, if one or both is not ready then they get sent down and replaced with Dalpe and/or Welsh (or Terry, or whoever, it couldn't be any worse than LaRose was this year).

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Valeri Nichushkin ($1.400m)
Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m) / Victor Rask ($0.863m) / Jeff Skinner ($5.725m)
Brett Sutter ($0.550m) / Riley Nash ($0.735m) / Andreas Nodl ($0.700m)
Nicolas Blanchard ($0.538m) / Tim Wallace ($0.700m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Rob Scuderi ($3.400m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Kurtis Foster ($0.950m)
Marc-Andre Bergeron ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Curtis McElhinney ($0.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.428% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,103,833; BONUSES: $292,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $488,667

Rationales: First line stays together. Second line is physically imposing, crashes the net and plays a power/cycle game, should be the best defensive line. Third line is all speed, takes advantage of third pair d-men and the other team's worst defensive forwards. Fourth line should be solid defensively with the ability to chip in just a little offense. Nash can move up in the lineup as needed in case of injury, leaving Wallace/Blanchard to round out the fourth. On defense, Scuderi provides crease clearing, shot blocks and provides a physical presence. Foster is huge, not mobile but smart, has a big shot and is right-handed. Backup goalie is just a guy, but at least a guy with a good track record of AHL success.

Last edited by Roboturner913: 05-05-2013 at 10:37 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Does anyone have a specific quote from JR where he explicitly says that we are taking a player who will play next year, and that said player is a forward?

Old
05-06-2013, 11:18 AM
geehaad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
Does anyone have a specific quote from JR where he explicitly says that we are taking a player who will play next year, and that said player is a forward?
The former, yes.
The latter, no.

The latter is inferred, based on the defensemen and goaltenders available at #5 in the draft.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:25 AM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
JR was asked in the press conference he and Muller had last week if they would take an offensive player and he said something like, 'those are the guys that fall in there'.

Press conference

The question is at the 19:30 mark and JR is talking about the draft for a minute or two before that as well.

05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaad View Post
The former, yes.
The latter, no.

The latter is inferred, based on the defensemen and goaltenders available at #5 in the draft.
Do you have an exact quote (the reason being, in one of the draft threads, someone asked for proof when I said that our GM said we were taking someone who would be available next year).

Old
05-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I can't find the specific quote of the guy we are taking at #5 will be in the NHL next year. The closest I got was this:

Quote:
“We have a chance to get another outstanding player like a Jeff Skinner this year,” Rutherford said. “What I’m told by our amateur scouting staff is the top six players are the elite players and the guy we pick at five could be as good as the guy picked at one.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/05/...#storylink=cpy
Was it ever said, or did we just infer it from his comments about Skinner? I thought I remembered a specific quote.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:11 PM
wolfofthesteppes
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't recall a quote that whoever we draft would be expected to make the team next season, but given JR's quote you pulled, and MacDonald's quote from the same article, it is a pretty easy jump that the Canes brass expects the guy they select to have a good chance to be with the Canes next season.

Quote:
I dont want to make any rash predictions but there are probably six or seven players in the draft who may be NHL ready, MacDonald said.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:18 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

It is an easy jump; but I said that "XXX Draftee will play in the NHL next year" was a direct quote from JR.

Oh well. Time to eat crow.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Yes We Cam
Good 1-2 punch

Let that quote be a reminder of Skinner's importance to this franchise, rather than his replaceability.

It's nice to hear how JR values this pick for the upcoming draft and I have a strong feeling we'll be drafting Nichushkin.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
It is an easy jump; but I said that "XXX Draftee will play in the NHL next year" was a direct quote from JR.

Oh well. Time to eat crow.
In your defense, it's been thrown around on this board for a week or two as if he made a direct statement on it.

If that isn't the case, a lot of discussion here has been based on smoke.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I was always under the impression that what he said was that a player taken on #5 could contribute right away. But if you read between the lines a bit, it seems like he kind of expects it to based on some comments (and his history). For instance, this one:

Quote:
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes 2 May
Rutherford: No. 5 pick will be better than any trade the team could have made at the trade deadline.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked on Ponics View Post
Let that quote be a reminder of Skinner's importance to this franchise, rather than his replaceability.

It's nice to hear how JR values this pick for the upcoming draft and I have a strong feeling we'll be drafting Nichushkin.
Oh God I hope so.

Who here actually watched all 35 minutes of the end of season press conference? JR was asked if he would draft based on the teams needs, and he said he's sticking to best player available, and that his scout staff believes that player at 5th would be a forward and able to make an immediate impact.

Reporter: Is there any thought to packaging a pick and a player and moving up in the draft? If you could get to #1? (18:18 in)

JR: No. I don't think we need to do that based on what our amateur scouting staff is saying. What I'm told is that whatever - first of all it's a great draft. It's almost maybe as good as the '03 draft and teams that are going to pick later in the first round are going to get very good players. Could even get a star player, okay? And even into the second round, but what I'm told by our amateur scouting staff is that the top six players are the elite players and the guy that we pick at 5 could be as good as the guy picked at 1. Now obviously there's a difference of position whether the defenseman goes one or two or wherever he goes, um, you know, there's value at getting that defenseman. But, I don't think the team that's thinking to get the defenseman at the top of the draft is going to move their pick. And it may turn out that the guy we pick at 5 ends up being as good as the guy that's picked at 2, so - so -

Reporter: So do you think you'll go for an offensive player probably?

JR: Um, yeah, those are the guys that fall in there yes.

And then at the beginning of the presser when JR is summing up the season (~1:13 in):

JR: ... and the draft pick we're ganna get, fifth overall, that our scouting staff and everybody in hockey says this is one of the top drafts, that this player will be an impact player for the Hurricanes.

I think that second one is what most people are using to mean they play next year. But in reality, that claim is never made. Just that the drafted player will be an impact player, not that he will be impacting immediately.

Last edited by Xylo: 05-06-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 06:01 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

He didnt say it verbatim...but he did include the pick directly after mentioning the core players in regards to taking a step forward next year after taking a step back this year. Im not sure what more needs to be said as it seems pretty clear.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

Well, it's obvious that there's an expectation the drafted player should be able to jump into the NHL immediately. But the draft is still almost two months away and we haven't even had the combine. Obviously they have an idea of who to draft, but that is just an idea. The possibility remains whoever we draft could be a flop or just simply not be NHL ready next year.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:53 PM
TheBigKahuna

Isn't Nichushkin under contract for 2 years, $10m with Dynamo? What's the buyout agreement like with the KHL? Is that number, that's floating around, the $10m, in US or Indian Rupees?

Old
05-06-2013, 08:06 PM
bilpeto
Master Mixologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahuna View Post
Isn't Nichushkin under contract for 2 years, $10m with Dynamo? What's the buyout agreement like with the KHL? Is that number, that's floating around, the $10m, in US or Indian Rupees?
I think it's been said that there's an out-clause after the first year. As far as the money goes, I really don't know what currency it's in.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Lethargic
Cthulhu 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I think it's been said that there's an out-clause after the first year. As far as the money goes, I really don't know what currency it's in.
Eh, just use rule #11 from monopoly.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Xylo
CaroladianHurriwings

All I know is Nichushkin's out clause mentioned April 2014.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:04 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

What I'm gathering from the conversation upthread is that JR expects that the player he drafts will be an impact player and he might even be good enough to come in and thrive immediately at the NHL level.

ie, JR is not expecting the player to play in the NHL next year, but he is hoping for it.

I'm not sure that really excludes any of the top-shelf players. To me, all JR has said clearly is that he expects to take a forward. That forward might very well come to camp and not be ready, or he might be committed to a foreign league that prevents him from joining the team right away. I wouldn't make any hard predictions on which forward JR decides to take, based on generalized comments about how good the group is.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:16 AM
Boom Boom Anton

That make sense, but this comment he made implies to me that he really does expect the guy to be able to contribute next year.

Quote:
Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes 2 May
Rutherford: No. 5 pick will be better than any trade the team could have made at the trade deadline.
Since he wasn't selling at the trade deadline, my interpretation is that he means that the #5 pick will come in and be better than anyone else they could have acquired at the deadline.

Who knows for sure what he meant though, he also could have been just pumping up tires for the fans (e.g..I know I didn't make any moves at the deadline, but look, we get a great pick out of it!)

Old
05-07-2013, 11:31 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Or he could just mean that whoever is drafted at #5 overall will probably be better than whichever bargain bin garbage players were available at the deadline when the drafted player reaches their potential, but let's just continue reading really far into it anyway.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:46 AM
TheBigKahuna

^ Or he could mean that any drafted player will be better than LaRose, Brent, etc!

Old
05-07-2013, 11:57 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

JR should have been more direct and just said, "You should have seen some of the crap these GMs were trying to pawn off on me!".

Closed Thread