Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Possible playoff opponents

View Poll Results: Who would you prefer the Penguins play in the playoffs?
Rangers 16 10.13%
Senators 59 37.34%
Isles 83 52.53%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
04-25-2013, 11:53 PM
vCash: 500
Possible playoff opponents

Possible opponents = Senators, Rangers, Islanders.

Pros- No Spezza, Karlsson just coming back from injury may or may not be rusty. Probably the least talented possible opponent.

Cons- They work hard, Karlsson just came back, Anderson is a tremendous goalie who could steal a series.

Pros- We've dominated them for the most part the past two years. For whatever reason, we have their number. They struggle to score, and we don't.

Cons- Lundqvist could steal one, and this is a team that is more talented than its performed. IMO over a full season they probably finish closer to 4th or 5th, so they wouldn't be a typical 8 seed by any means.

Pros- First time in the playoffs in a while, so nerves likely a factor. They can be suspect defensively at times, and Nabokov has played a ton of games so fatigue could be an issue for him.

Cons- They are more explosive offensively than the Rangers or Sens. They've given us a tough time at times the past few years. They can really skate, and are probably the fastest team we might face of the three. Speedy teams seem to give us problems sometimes (see, the Leafs).

Overall I'd go for the Isles due to their lack of experience and having imo the weakest goalie. So who do you guys got?

04-26-2013, 12:00 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare
vCash: 50
I don't like jinxing things (yes, I'm crazy superstitious), but if I had to lean towards one of those teams, I'd opt for the Senators. All three have solid goaltending, but the Sens are the only team that doesn't have much offensive punch (with Spezza out). Even with Karlsson back, their forwards struggle to score goals, IMO. The other two teams have some forwards capable of breaking games open. The Sens don't.

04-26-2013, 12:03 AM
Vamos Rafa
Gotta go with the inexperienced young team and that's the Isles.

04-26-2013, 12:06 AM
Liver-Eating Johnson

04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
isles. "fears of '93" can bite me.

04-26-2013, 12:32 AM
I do not care.

I do not fear, or disrespect, any of them. They all could beat us if we let them. But they also should all be serious underdogs.

I am just glad that NJ did not make it into the playoffs. Granted tonight was not a great indication, the Pens had to only be mildly interested in the result and only interested in getting out healthy. But that team has our number, and would fighten me far more than any of these three, merely because we match up so badly against them over the years.

04-26-2013, 01:58 AM
Hmm. We will meet the Isles in rd. 1 if they lose to Buffalo in regulation tonight.

04-26-2013, 02:06 AM
Isles, but okay with Sens too. Getting Rags in the first round would be rough...I think they added some pieces that they needed at the deadline, and have the ability to be a scary team in the postseason.

04-26-2013, 02:26 AM
Thumbs up, soldier!
Isles, Sens, Rags. Glad the Sabres didn't make it.

04-26-2013, 02:43 AM

Weakest D and weakest goalie.

Sens would probably be the easiest opponent, but it could be a low scoring series with their D and Anderson entering the matrix.

Id rather the Pens lines got rolling and found chemistry, and what better way to gain this confidence with each other than to get on the scoresheet together, and often.

04-26-2013, 03:06 AM
Not the Rangers.

Whoever it is though, I obviously hope we win the series, but I hope we stomp the living crap out of them in game 2 since the tickets were so ****ing expensive.

Got in on the playoff ticket party late.. it'll be worth it no matter what. Nothing like playoff hockey.

04-26-2013, 03:49 AM
I voted Isles of those three. I also hope Washington and Ottawa face each other.

04-26-2013, 04:23 AM
Random Oracle
I voted the Sens, but either them or the Islanders would be fine with me. While not pushovers, the Penguins should be able to handle them in 6 games or less. The Rangers are kind of a mystery -- their roster is very good and they have shown flashes of playing at the level they're capable of, but they've been very inconsistent. I think the Pens would likely beat them, but they look the most likely to cause an upset out of these three.

04-26-2013, 04:37 AM
I wouldnt mind to NOT see the Rangers in the 1st round. But in the end, if you want to win the Cup you have to beat everybody you play anyways. But a Rangers series would be tough. I just hope we can win this first series, after that I think this team will be OK and very hard to beat.

But first, the PK needs to get better.....

04-26-2013, 05:43 AM
Random Oracle
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
I just hope we can win this first series, after that I think this team will be OK and very hard to beat.
Agreed, I think the Pens can be somewhat vulnerable in the first round. With so many players coming back into the lineup and with four new players acquired at the deadline, it can take a while to find out the best line combinations. Besides, Crosby, Martin, and Neal may take a while to get to their best level.

Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
But first, the PK needs to get better.....
Definitely. That's been an issue the whole season long and it's never really gotten very good.

04-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Ottawa is my first choice, Isles is second.

04-26-2013, 06:06 AM
Coach Travis
2016 Champs!!!
I don't disrespect any one of those teams. Picked Isles only because of inexperience and there's usually fewer power plays in the playoffs.

04-26-2013, 06:08 AM
Randy Butternubs
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
I don't disrespect any one of those teams. Picked Isles only because of inexperience and there's usually fewer power plays in the playoffs.
That's my reasoning as well for picking the Islanders.

04-26-2013, 07:09 AM
Tender Rip
#Haz supa line mates
We should beat any of them, but the Rangers have the better roster and the better goalie.

Were I to choose, and I am, I'd say the Isles.

04-26-2013, 07:24 AM
Polaris Polestar
A Bad Current
I think I actually want the NYR. I'd rather see them open up against what's going to be considered the 'hardest' of the 3 potential opening opponents, and them hopefully catch a reprieve down the line (like they did with Carolina in 2009).

The only team I really want to avoid throughout this playoff is Toronto.

04-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Dying Alive
I love u Phil
I don't care. If the Pens play the way they should they can beat any of those teams. If they play like morons they could lose to any of those teams. So really...whatever.

04-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Global Moderator
RIP parabola
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I've learned this isn't 1995 anymore. Every opponent is difficult from here on out. You have to be on your game and get some luck to win the Cup anymore.

All 3 teams have a way to beat us. That's all we should care about. There is no easy pick... so bring on any one of them and start game planning.

04-26-2013, 07:42 AM
We owe the Isles one for 20 years ago. I hope we get to rain on their playoff parade.

04-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I don't care. If the Pens play the way they should they can beat any of those teams. If they play like morons they could lose to any of those teams. So really...whatever.
Yeah, I was hoping for a "Don't care" option. They should be anyone they are matched up against in the 1st round.

04-26-2013, 08:05 AM
Weakside Lock
The Sens.

The Rangers are playing their best hockey and Tavares is a game-breaker.

"I think a big thing with hockey fans is that we all have a hard time admitting that winning a Stanley Cup does involve a significant amount of luck." - thepuckmonster
Closed Thread