Notices

Season Wrap Up Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 11:53 PM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

vCash: 500
Season Wrap Up Thread

So with the season over, I thought I'd wrap everything up and start a thread to talk about the 2012/13 season and to express our excitement for the new season.

So as the 2012 offseason began, we continued to follow our trend of wanting to compete with the guys we had. We let go of some good guys from the 2011/12 season in David Moss, Tom Kostopolus, Olli Jokinen, Rattis Ivanans and Scott Hannan.

Coming into the beginning of the season however, we looked pretty good.
1) We got really skilled guys in Hudler and Wideman through free agency and they had potential to make a big impact.
2) Backlund was coming back from a sick campaign in Sweden while Baertschi was about to show us what he could do after a 5 game 3 goal tease last season.
3) Cervenka was a wild card with a great possible payoff.
4) Our guys seemed really pumped to go and everything seemed great. Our core of Iggy, Bouw and Kipper was still as intact as ever.

Our season then started in the Dome against San Jose.

January 20- First game against San Jose. We came flying out of the gates and completely dominated the Sharks in the first period. Hartley's system seemed great. Then we completely collapsed in a 4-1 loss.

January 26- Our first win of the season couldn't have come any sweeter. After 3 losses, a 4-3 win over Edmonton, Stemps with a goal and two helpers.

February 2- Everyone should remember this one. We outshot the red hot Blackhawks 47-19 but Emery was insane. 3-2 SO loss.

February 6- A 4-1 win in Detroit but Kipper went down. He would stay injured for the next month or so.

February 13- With a hat trick for Cammy, we stomped on Dallas 7-3.

February 16- After a few mediocre tilts, Irving is sent back down to Abbotsford, potentially signalling that the promising goaltender prospect is done with our organization.

February 24- Absolute thriller in the dying seconds vs Phoenix. Glencross wins the game for us in a 5-4 showdown.

February 28- While facing the Avs, we attempt to sign their UFA center Ryan O'Reilly. They match and a lot of drama ensues.

March 8- March 11- I consider this when we were legitimately out of the playoffs. A 3 game California roadtrip where we lose 4-0, 6-2, and 3-1 .

March 26- Iginla's last game, we get shut out 2-0 by the Blackhawks.

March 28- A hillarious Aaron Ward screw up sends these boards ablaze as Iginla is thought to have been dealt to Boston for Koko, Bartowski, and a 1st. Instead, he is dealt to Pittsburgh for Hanowski, Agostino and a 1st. An era is ended as we say goodbye to Jarome.

March 28-April 4- I'll remember this week for many reasons. One being the buzz around the city of Jaromes departure. As fans, a lot of us were crushed or extremely depressed. The memories... The other being the nonstop repetition of -owski jokes about the Flames.

March 30- The Kipper debacle. He say's that he will not report for any team if he is traded. In the end, Feaster doesn't deal him. He now seems to be destined for retirement.

April 1- The last big domino falls as the third piece of our core, iron man Jay Bouwmeester is dealt to St. Louis for Mark Cundari, Reto Berra and a 1st.

April 8th - Avs vs Flames. HF members of their respective teams switch sides. Good times had by all

The Following Weeks- Out of the playoff race, we realize it's time to give the young guys a shot. Guys like Wotherspoon, Brossoit, Hanowski, Berra, Ramage and Granlund are given contract while the majority of our prospects and guys playing in the AHL are given shots at the big leagues.

April 13- We ruin Edmontons playoff hopes. Just felt like putting it in here.

April 19- Against Anaheim, Kipper plays his last game at the dome. The quiet humble Fin who carried this borderline team to the finals in 04 skates out of the dome for one last time to an emotional standing ovation.

And so now we're at tonight. April 26, the last game of the season. A 3-1 loss to Chicago. This season has really been an adventure. We've seen our favorite guys have to go but we've seen a few glimpses of our future with Brodie and Baertschi. More than a decade of rooting for Kipper and Iggy in your living room or at the bar is done. I've retired my Iginla jersey and bought a Baertschi one because times are a changing. Our playoff drought is going to continue for a while but, all things considered, I trust Feaster, I trust Hartley, I trust our kids, and one day, we'll be flying Flames car flags in June. These are dark times for any Calgary fan but hey, next seasons gonna be fun. We get to watch Baertschi, Backlund, Brodie and maybe Barkov develop into our future core. The futures gonna be great.

So from one fan to another, I just want to know your opinion on how this season was. Feel free to use this as a general season discussion thread.

Last edited by MC Ride: 04-27-2013 at 05:05 PM.
MC Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:02 AM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerstcheese View Post
February 6- A 4-1 win in Chicago but Kipper went down. He would stay injured for the next month or so.
4 - 1 against Detroit.

_________

Great thread. This has to be the craziest year in Franchise history. Iginla & JayBow shipped out. Kipper retiring (99%) and management finally taking up the rebuild!

3 first round picks in the 1st round! (Never had more than 2).

Very hard, emotional season... But it's the start of something new!

GO GO!!

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:08 AM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
4 - 1 against Detroit.

_________

Great thread. This has to be the craziest year in Franchise history. Iginla & JayBow shipped out. Kipper retiring (99%) and management finally taking up the rebuild!

3 first round picks in the 1st round! (Never had more than 2).

Very hard, emotional season... But it's the start of something new!

GO GO!!
haha k fixed. But agreed. We're pretty barebones going into the rebuild though. A few firsts and 1 true bluechip prospect. It's gonna take awhile.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:15 AM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:
February 2- Everyone should remember this one. We outshot the red hot Blackhawks 47-19 but Emery was insane. 3-2 SO loss.
For me, this was the most entertaining Flames game that happened this season.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:16 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quite the season. I haven't remembered a worse one... in a long time to be honest. It's been near a decade since we weren't a competitive team that was either going to the playoffs or just missing it by a few points (the last 3 seasons).

There were a lot of lowlights, seeing Iggy go for what we believed was a mediocre return from Boston, just to have him leave for an even worse package from Pittsburgh. Seeing JayBo go, for quite a few unknowns. The games where we didn't show up were many... there was something definitely wrong with this team out of the gate to be honest.

Backlund, Baertchi and Brodie, or the three B's; were by far the best part of the year. Backlund proving he belongs in the NHL as a second line center. Baertchi, while first not playing well, regaining confidence and ending the season on a 7 game point streak, that brought him up to a .5 ppg! 41 points in a rookie season would have been incredible in a full year.
Brodie stepped up his game. He's now a legitimate top 4 guy, with possible top two potential given the right partner.

The trades:
Hanowski needs a lot more polish. He's not there physically, nor mentally yet (in my opinion), Cundari looks great. I think we found a bottom/second pair warrior. The rest are really unknowns, I'm truly excited to see what Berra does next year, and what those firsts ends up doing.

Reinhart.
It was really nice Max out there. He seems NHL ready, but needs to get a little stronger. The awareness is there, and there are some tight hands on him... But again, it's still quite raw, and needs some work in the offseason to get here full time.

The season was a step in the right direction though. It was clear that Calgary wasn't a playoff team. It was clear they were going to play around the 10-14 range again, just to get weak picks. It was nice to finally see management acknowledge it, and start the process that will turn this franchise around. They gave the kids some time, and there were some rough diamonds (there was also some rough plugs to be) and I think a few of them could pan out quite well given the right circumstances.

I'm excited to see what direction this team ends up going. There is still a lot of 'needs'. This happens when you trade your top pair defensemen, your top right winger, and your franchise goalie is debating retirement. This offseason should be a fun one to watch. I am simply praying that we don't see idiot moves like last years draft (fingers crossed).

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:19 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

I put this in the game topic, but it seems to fit here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
Areas I would like to improve:

Center Ice
This is pretty much all encompassing I like both Stajan & Backlund as #3 centermen, but either will make an okay 2b center for the time being.
Physical Presence on the blueline
We need some of the defensemen to step up their physical game (or add someone that will), players that will make the opposition look over their shoulder and wonder when they could get laid out.

Cundari's addition and Butler being much more physical this season are a step in the right direction, but there needs to be more hitting from the likes of Giordano & Wideman both of whom can lay guys out but more or less abstained from getting physical this year.

Becoming more physical on the backend will cause opposition forwards to rush plays a little more and cause more turnovers in our favor and will make it harder on guys parking the,selves in front of our net.
Top 9 Physical Presence
Our forwards are pushed around too easy and with the exception of Glencross completely lack the ability to push back. Ideally a big strong physical center is in the cards, as well as a couple wingers to make our forward group more dangerous along the boards and have the size & strength to open up space for our more skilled wingers.
Faceoffs
I am not including this under centermen because our problem is bigger than that. The problems for this team in the faceoff circle are 2 fold. 1) the centermen just aren't good enough on draws, we need to acquire at least 2 centermen that have shown they can win 53% or more on draws. 2) the wingers lack the size and strength to help the centers win draws when the puck gets tied up. This weakness on the wings causes the centermen to have to try and cheat a bit because they know they have to win draws cleanly, which results in them being thrown out of the circle way too often, we especially saw that with Stajan this year.
Defense
Like with center ice this is all encompassing. Hartley has given all defensemen the green light to pinch, it means the defensemen need to learn when the right time to pinch is, it also means the forwards need to be aware of what's happening so someone covers the blueline, all too often we see 4 players within 20 feet of the net. Another area of improvement would be having the forwards wait just a little longer to leave to defensive zone, they need to make sure that possession is gained before they exit. These improvements along with playing more physical in the defensive zone would do wonders.

Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:23 AM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

@Volica. Good post. I agree 100%. A lot of our young guys really impressed me this year. Baertschi and Backlund were great but Brodie really stood out. I honestly thought he would max out in a few more years as a top 4 guy but he's already there and it looks like he has the potential to go even further.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:29 AM
FlamesFreak4

vCash: 8454
Excited for the draft, although slightly nervous at a potential letdown.
Monahan is the guy im hoping for. Unless ofcourse we win the lottery.

If he wins a spot at camp i'd love to see him slot into the #2 center spot for his first year in the NHL. Also hope we can sign Ramo and he comes over with no problems.

Beartschi - Backlund - Cammalleri
Glencross - Monahan - Hudler
Horak/UFA - Stajan - Stempniak
Bouma - Reinhart - McGrattan

Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Cundari
Butler - Sarich/Smith/Carson

Ramo
MacDonald

FlamesFreak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 12:38 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
@Volica. Good post. I agree 100%. A lot of our young guys really impressed me this year. Baertschi and Backlund were great but Brodie really stood out. I honestly thought he would max out in a few more years as a top 4 guy but he's already there and it looks like he has the potential to go even further.
It was nice to see some of the higher end guys show up.
I see big time NHLer's (top 6 F, or top 3 D) from Backlund, Brodie and Baertchi.

I see a future third line center, with ability to move into a second line role later in his career (even a future C) in Maxwell.

I would keep Aliu up next year. Players like Jackman, in my opinion, have worn out their welcome. When the toughest SoBs you roll out nightly, don't like standing up for their team or causing havoc (don't get me wrong, sometimes Jackman & the 4th line did well, I think hes the leader in hits this year [not saying much for our team]), and would rather try and score goals... time to move them along. You can tell there's a different approach teams have with Calgary when Big Ern was in the lineup, then when only Jackman was in the lineup.

Bouma - Bégin - Big Ern/Aliu should be the fourth line next year; depending on the team. Absolutely no reason to dress Mac against the Wings. I normally wouldn't have Bégin there, but I think he's bound to Hartley now.

Guys like: Bancks, Street, Byron, Jones and Carson... Are AHL guys. While it's a feel good story with Bancks; I don't see any of these guys making a major impact on the NHL level. Also, since Calgary's chocked full of 3rd/4th line talent. I think it's in everyone's best interest letting a number of these expiring contracts, expire.

Another massive plague, we once again faced. Was poor faceoff %. Jones, Cammy and Begin being the top 3... Begin being under 50% LOL. Have to get better there. Can't play a puck possession game... when you don't have the pick off the faceoff.

Old
04-27-2013, 12:42 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 View Post
Also hope we can sign Ramo and he comes over with no problems.
This is already good as done, from what I've been told and from what Feaster has been talking about. It will have to wait until July, but he's going to a Calgary Flame next year.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:00 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 View Post
Monahan is the guy im hoping for. Unless ofcourse we win the lottery.
I feel as if the entire Flames board is running with the Monahan train. He's an exceptional player, saying that, I really, really like Lindholm.

I think most people think Swedish players, they think of the Sedins, maybe Z in Detroit... this kid is pretty fun to watch. If you guys didn't catch any Swedish games in Ufa, here's his highlight package. He's absolutely fun to watch; two way forward, he's filled out quite nice, also... just enjoy actually.

Lindholm WJC

Both are incredibly good players. Can't wait to see either one in a Flames jersey.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:32 AM
The Ultimate Warrior
F l a m e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
I feel as if the entire Flames board is running with the Monahan train. He's an exceptional player, saying that, I really, really like Lindholm.

I think most people think Swedish players, they think of the Sedins, maybe Z in Detroit... this kid is pretty fun to watch. If you guys didn't catch any Swedish games in Ufa, here's his highlight package. He's absolutely fun to watch; two way forward, he's filled out quite nice, also... just enjoy actually.

Lindholm WJC

Both are incredibly good players. Can't wait to see either one in a Flames jersey.
Never realized he had a physical aspect to his game... I knew he grinded along the boards, but didn't know he throws big hits! Love it!

The Ultimate Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:33 AM
SickHandsNoShot

Quote:

Lindholm WJC

He looks like if Backlund was stronger and more agressive. Just no quit, always hard on the puck. Looks like he'd be no fun to play against.

SickHandsNoShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:39 AM
DBU
Tapu Debe

vCash: 464
I went to two games this year - the Chicago SO loss, which was just a beauty to watch and a heartbreak to lose; and the OT win against Phoenix. Both were fantastic games to be at so I can at least be happy about that.

The season was a rough one - losing Iginla was crushing, even though it finally signalled change in the organization. I think it's great to finally see the young guys stepping into the lineup though and making a difference. The future really is not that bleak.

Looking forward to the draft lottery on Monday, and then the draft after that!

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:55 AM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Thought I'd give my top five moments of the season here:

1) The game against Phoenix where we tied the game with 3 minutes left and then scored with around a minute to win the game. Probably the highest moment of the season for me.

2) Baertschi having an 8 game point streak. SHows that when you are given the chance, anything can happen.

3) Seeing Max Reinhart play his first NHL game, especially when it was against Vancouver.

4) The Iginla trade. Never had so many emotions at one time. Happy for the Flames, mad at the Flames, happy for Iginla, mad at Iginla. Looking back, I'm happy that we traded Iginla to Pittsburgh, as he has the best chance to win the cup there.

5) Seeing T.J Brodie and Mikael Backlund come into their own. Brodie loooked like a #1 defender out there when Boumeester was traded and Backlund has done really well too. These guys will play major parts for this team in the future.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:19 AM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
Never realized he had a physical aspect to his game... I knew he grinded along the boards, but didn't know he throws big hits! Love it!
Yup, it's why I really like him. He skates incredibly well (for once), engages physically, blazes around the ice. Did you see the penalty kill video? I mean, he's up and down with speed.

Overall the Flames season sucked, but the thought that we could get this kid or Monahan, or perhaps an even highly touted prospect is great. Calgary picked exactly the right season to not play overly well.
We didn't have to endure 82 games of suck (might have to next year). It was short, compact, with a ton of high end prospects at the draft, a perfect season to tank to be honest.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:48 PM
MarkGio

I completely agree with the stats when I look at why we had such a poor season:

1) 3rd worst faceoff team. You simply can't win games without the puck

2) 2nd worst GA/G. We were juggling a Macdonald-Taylor-Irving fiasco for a while, while Kipper was distracted by his family issues

3) 4th lowest in hitting. Small forwards + soft defense = Easy to play against.

4) Poor Road record and Shoot out record.

We need a number 1 centre that can win faceoffs. We need guys who play with an edge. And lastly we need better goaltending. Except for the goaltending, this has been the same old story with our club

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I completely agree with the stats when I look at why we had such a poor season:

1) 3rd worst faceoff team. You simply can't win games without the puck

2) 2nd worst GA/G. We were juggling a Macdonald-Taylor-Irving fiasco for a while, while Kipper was distracted by his family issues

3) 4th lowest in hitting. Small forwards + soft defense = Easy to play against.

4) Poor Road record and Shoot out record.

We need a number 1 centre that can win faceoffs. We need guys who play with an edge. And lastly we need better goaltending. Except for the goaltending, this has been the same old story with our club
Isn't it absolutely incredible, that Calgary's has some of these glaring concerns for a while now:

- They haven't had a legitimate top line center, since the Jarome trade
- On the physical side; it's always been two a tale of two stories, where we either have no skill and a bunch of grinders or a ton of fragile, soft, small skilled guys and well not enough grinders. Cannot find that perfect balance to be hard to play against, while also being able to score upfront.
- Shoot out record. I can't remember a season I felt confident going into a shootout, that Calgary had the upper hand.
- The last time we had a GA/G that was on the right half of the league... was also the last time we made the playoffs (goes to show what it takes).

The draft needs to address the Top Line Center problem. It absolutely needs to. Have to manage to draft: MacKinnon, Barkov or Lindholm/Monahan; no matter what in my opinion. I think the first pick, in the perfect world, could join the team next year on the 1B line.

Team has to get bigger, and harder to play against. It's NOT enough having one goon on the fourth line patrollin' the game, the bottom 6 has to bring energy, nastiness, and a physical aspect. The first line and second line also has to have some size, to be tough to handle. The second line has to be defensively aware, able to play against another teams top line (or maybe the third line's given that duty). One way or another, the team has to change a lot to not have a repeat of this year.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:03 PM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

Quote:
We've had a legitimate top line center before the iginla trade?

Old
04-27-2013, 04:16 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Isn't it absolutely incredible, that Calgary's has some of these glaring concerns for a while now:

- On the physical side; it's always been two a tale of two stories, where we either have no skill and a bunch of grinders or a ton of fragile, soft, small skilled guys and well not enough grinders. Cannot find that perfect balance to be hard to play against, while also being able to score upfront.
- Shoot out record. I can't remember a season I felt confident going into a shootout, that Calgary had the upper hand.
- The last time we had a GA/G that was on the right half of the league... was also the last time we made the playoffs (goes to show what it takes).

The draft needs to address the Top Line Center problem. It absolutely needs to. Have to manage to draft: MacKinnon, Barkov or Lindholm/Monahan; no matter what in my opinion. I think the first pick, in the perfect world, could join the team next year on the 1B line.

Team has to get bigger, and harder to play against. It's NOT enough having one goon on the fourth line patrollin' the game, the bottom 6 has to bring energy, nastiness, and a physical aspect. The first line and second line also has to have some size, to be tough to handle. The second line has to be defensively aware, able to play against another teams top line (or maybe the third line's given that duty). One way or another, the team has to change a lot to not have a repeat of this year.
We will have another poor season. Our defense got significantly worst and Iggy was one of our few physical forwards. Our prospects won't help that much. We still need a number one centre via free agency (as always). I like Riberio because he's chirpy and plays gritty. I like Wiess too. Both guys are 1b guys though

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
We've had a legitimate top line center before the iginla trade?
Jarome trade 1.0 LoL.

We had a pretty good one... some odd 17-18 years back. Pretty sure he got into the HoF lol

Old
04-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
We will have another poor season. Our defense got significantly worst and Iggy was one of our few physical forwards. Our prospects won't help that much. We still need a number one centre via free agency (as always). I like Riberio because he's chirpy and plays gritty. I like Wiess too. Both guys are 1b guys though
Oh no doubt. Not a single doubt in my mind that next year's also going to be on the poor side of things. There's a chance it could be a decent season, however; it's more than 10 different variables; all of which will probably not be addressed lol. If some of them do, they'll be a better team than this year... But I don't think that's what they want

1. Draft high end talent, he's able to play in the NHL with a decent role.
2. Trade LW depth + maybe one of the first rounders for a high end D-man (or a kid on the cusp of it).
3. Sign Horton or Jarome to hold the RW, bring grit.
4. Make moves to get a legit third line center/hope Max has a big offseason, defensive upside + vinegar + scoring touch.
5. Hope for chemistry between the first this year, Sven + Horton to make up a 1B line.
6. Hope that Glencross - Backlund - Hudler can play well as a 1A line for the time being (until 1B can develop properly).
7. Sure up defensive core. Get rid of dead weight in Sarich/Carson. Trade for the LW depth brings in Brodie's partner, they gel. More nastiness on the third pairing /w Cundari.
8. Bring in a 4th line that wants it, gives it everything they got every night. Stands up for teammates no matter what the scenario.
9. Ramo/Berra break out as number 1 goalies. Demonstrate that Feaster was not brain dead.
10. Everyone buys into the Hartley system, except there's actually defensive zone coverage.
++++

LOL

Old
04-27-2013, 04:46 PM
Unlimited Chequing
Christian Yellow

April 8th - Avs vs Flames. HF members of their respective teams switch sides. Good times had by all

Unlimited Chequing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 05:04 PM
MC Ride
Feels bad man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
haha that was great! I think I'll add that.

Old
04-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Padlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited Chequing View Post
If the Flames lost that game they'd be third in the draft standings, with a chance to get to 2nd with a Tampa point tonight. Worst case scenario they'd draft fourth, the best we could hope for right now

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote