HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wiercioch or Gryba vs. Montreal? Poll added

View Poll Results: Whom do you prefer?
Wiercioch 60 48.39%
Gryba 41 33.06%
Both 23 18.55%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Healfezza

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskriders View Post
Why not both?

Healfezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:10 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
That Corsi stat is for 5 on 5 only.

You're gonna think I'm arguing with you, but that's not the case. I actually think you're bang on and making great points. Special teams, as you say, should be a big factor in the decision and Gryba on the PK may be more important than what little we'd see of Weircioch on the PP. Would LOVE to not see Phillips on the PP though...
Oh I definitely don't think you're arguing...in fact I like it. The discussion shows that not every argument is an absolute, which happens far too often in online discussions (especially hfboards).

There is an easy argument to be made for both and I guess that's a good thing in a sense. Either way you can't go wrong in game 1 and this is probably why coaches and video review guys get paid the big bucks.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:52 AM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Wiercioch and it's not even close. Don't get me wrong, I liked Gryba's game this season and he definitely made an impact on the team, but in terms of what we need in the playoffs and the style of game we need to play against the Habs, it just screams Wiercioch to me. To beat the Habs, the powerplay clicking is an absolute must. Karlsson makes a huge difference but he cannot do it himself. Wier was solid on the PP all season and can help set things up on the second unit.

Gryba would bring the physical aspect and while that may be appealing against a small Habs team, I'm confident that Cowen, Phillips and Methot can easily handle these duties.

I wouldn't be pissed if Gryba drew in, but it would be too much of one thing. And than who would play the #2 PP unit.....Cowen? Phillips? Gets a little messier.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:36 AM
george8it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Karlsson View Post
When in doubt pick Lundin.

That is sooo 2012

george8it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Rysto

I say Wiercioch. Montreal lives and dies on a heavy two man forecheck. We need strong puck movers to neutralize that.

Rysto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:46 AM
HappyDude
Fire Cameron

I said Gryba because I feel he would be best to break their bones to make his bread

HappyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 11:17 AM
Tuna99

I like them both and for the future of the team both should play and get playoff experience.

Maclean likes to start with speed (as he did versus the Rangers game #1 last year) and see if you can kill them with speed and skill, Weircoche seems to be a guy who could fly under the radar and produce with all the focus on #65.

But both will play well

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:26 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

I would change my answer to both depending on how the series is going. Absolutely no reason to throw the both in to start the series, but if a change/spark is needed halfway through the series than you can make the switch.

Right now though it's pretty clear that Wier would add more to the team.

Any idea which way Mac is leaning?

Old
05-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Topside

Gryba because we need him on the PK. Phillips, Methot, Gryba, and Cowen make two pretty good PK units. I wouldn't want Karlsson on the PK yet considering his injury. Also Gryba stays out of the box more, and plays more minutes. With Wiercioch playing 5 less minutes than Gryba it skews the balance into being too top heavy which I don't think should be done in a long playoff series especially considering Karlsson isn't 100%. The problem is the PP, though, as Phillips will probably have to be on the second pair :S.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:07 PM
sens613

Any reason Methot cant handle second pp duties with Cowen? Not that I would expect much from him , but he has a heavy shot , great first pass , calm with the puck and I think would play it safe and not take any chances which is what philips does , but with the added mobility and speed to get back to hiw own end to retrieve the puck faster or if we turn the puck over. Not ideal situation I agree , but this is based on the assumption Gryba plays game 1 and we know what phillips brings already , which is not much on the pp.

sens613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 04:45 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Gryba it is!! Let's see what he's got in store for us, I am sure if he looks shaky Mac will not hesitate to switch things up and throw Wiery in there for Game 2 or 3.

Old
05-02-2013, 08:35 PM
tdottawa senators

after that hit i think it's safe to say wiercioch will be in next game....assuming suspension. i don't think it's really dirty but if wiercioch was in we don't lose the game...

Last edited by tdottawa senators: 05-02-2013 at 08:41 PM.
tdottawa senators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Deku Scrub
BOP

vCash: 50
Time to vote for Weir in the poll.

Deku Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:51 PM
The Fuhr*

Dude throws a clean Scott Stevens esque hits and gets 5 and a game... it's ****ing ridiculous

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Deku Scrub
BOP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
Dude throws a clean Scott Stevens esque hits and gets 5 and a game... it's ****ing ridiculous
IKR... not sure I've ever seen anything like that, completely clean but blood from hitting your face on the ice = 5 and a game. Ok.

Deku Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
They just never have the balls to not call those ones harshly if someone gets hurt... That was a clear example of a clean hit where unfortunately there's an injury

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:33 PM
Topside

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdottawa senators View Post
after that hit i think it's safe to say wiercioch will be in next game....assuming suspension. i don't think it's really dirty but if wiercioch was in we don't lose the game...
Oh yeah?

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:37 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdottawa senators View Post
No not really. I dont think that deserves a suspension. My only problem is habs are probably gonna try and get gryba or that gryba will lose his confidence or something, he is afterall just a rookie. I hope this hit doesnt affect him in any way. It was a pretty solid hit.

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:54 PM
salomonster

Hockey hit and a dumb pass. They won that's all that maters.

A physical presence is needed in the playoffs, With the win I see no need in changing anything unless Gryba is hurt.

I actually wanted PW in there earlier today but now I like Gryba there. He's physical, it's a win so he plays in my books.

salomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:30 PM
lafite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySens View Post
No not really. I dont think that deserves a suspension. My only problem is habs are probably gonna try and get gryba or that gryba will lose his confidence or something, he is afterall just a rookie. I hope this hit doesnt affect him in any way. It was a pretty solid hit.
Gryba is a hockey player, I don't think he is going to lose any sleep. If things get too physical, it's bad for Montreal. I'd love to see Montreal try to run around all game to get revenge.

lafite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Gryba may have single-handedly won us/tilted in favour of us this series.

He just got rid of their best center and the one who is centering their most effective line that gives them their depth.

Although I don't wish any injury on anyone, without Eller the Habs are very weak down the middle and looked like they were scrambling trying to fill in Eller's shoes.

Mind you I'm only saying this because it was a clean hit.

The key to beating Montreal was to smash their speed and slow em down, Gryba did just that.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:45 PM
Magix

I'm still on the Gryba wagon. Guy is physical and isn't afraid to muck it up. Sure he has brain farts here and there but wiercioch does as well. And I just think gryba is the safer option at this point in time.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

I'd give Gryba another game

First playoff game is out of the way and **** went down

Give him the opportunity to follow-it up with a strong performance

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Sensbrah

I'd stick with Gryba. Obviously the coaching staff sees somethign they like in him to opt for him over Wiercioch. I wouldn't deviate from that decision based on a fraction of a game.

Plus Physical play is huge vs. this Habs team, it is nice to have another right handed shot, and the team as a whole didn't really look too sharp prior to him getting tossed as Anderson was saving our bacon with Montreal dominating the play. Some nerves early in his first post-season game are understandable. Even more so in the Bell Centre.

Sensbrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
Lonnie Loach

Coach is too stubborn to bench Gryba. It'll look like he's punishing him. My biggest fear is Gryba backing off the physical play when he returns --- a couple of years ago Sutton was not the same aggressive player after catching Jordan Leopold with a big hit.

I'd cut Gryba some slack on his early play. First playoff game. Different pace altogether than the regular season.

Lonnie Loach is offline   Reply With Quote