HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wiercioch or Gryba vs. Montreal? Poll added

View Poll Results: Whom do you prefer?
Wiercioch 60 48.39%
Gryba 41 33.06%
Both 23 18.55%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Ether Prodigy
Fearless Leader

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Loach View Post
Coach is too stubborn to bench Gryba. It'll look like he's punishing him. My biggest fear is Gryba backing off the physical play when he returns --- a couple of years ago Sutton was not the same aggressive player after catching Jordan Leopold with a big hit.

I'd cut Gryba some slack on his early play. First playoff game. Different pace altogether than the regular season.
First playoff game, playing with a different partner (Cowen) in a different role. Plus the forwards were atrocious in our end for the first 40 minutes. Particularly the 2nd period.

Wiercioch would be my pick if this wasn't a playoff series - but who do we keep of the two for the future? Give Wiercioch next year - in the regular season. Unshelter him, put him in situations at ES. THEN he can be the go to guy in the playoffs.

Ether Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Slack
Custom User Title

I'm going with Gryba. While I like Wier's ability to contribute and move the puck, in this series I think it's better to keep in Gryba to punish them physically. And we did just come off of a 4-goal win. We could bring in Wier down the road if our offense were to struggle, but I say stick with Grybs otherwise.

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:03 PM
Hutz

I'd put in Wier now... Gryba was already not playing great before the hit, but we played much better without him. Playing him tomorrow could stir up some emotion for the Habs to rally around... it could distract them like with us against Pittsburgh, but it could inspire them... I'd rather let it rest for now.

Hutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:40 AM
Novak Djokovic
#12 and counting...

Go with Gryba next game, and get 1 or 2 PPs as a result.

Think about change AFTER Game #2. Plus, Weircioch isn't exactly a fast skater that can play against the Habs. He does, however, have a good outlet pass which is helpful.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:42 AM
BigEyedPhish

Ottawa is equal with Montreal speed wise no matter who plays, what will matter and what I believe will win us the series is Physicality, Gryba all the way.. (And I thought this before the hit.)

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:21 AM
Topside

No idea why we'd change the lineup after a win. They played with 5 D and still won so any 6th is gonna be an improvement. Gryba's done nothing to deserve sitting. White will probably do something stupid with him in the lineup too.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:35 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

I voted both.. As much as Gryba's play induces rage fits, his roll in wearing the other team down is extremely valuable. That is an element that Wiercioch does not bring to this team. Especially considering Montreal is a smaller team, if Gryba can work on his positioning and decision making he can be extremely deadly with his hits (as seen tonight).

Wiercioch on the other hand had some of the best possession numbers on our team during the regular season. He moves the puck a hell of a lot faster and smarter than Gryba. Unfortunately he is prone to making poor decisions and hasn't really filled out his frame enough to establish any sort of physical game. He does provide a better option on the powerplay instead of Phillips.

Ultimately it comes down to what PM wants and what he needs. If the game plan is to wear down the Habs then we go with Gryba because he is a better fit. If we want to control the game and dominate the possession, which we've done in the past, then we go with Wiercioch. Right now it seems PM wants to beat down the Habs. Gryba fills in for Carkner's roll last year. Imposing 6th D that can drop them and throw the body, lacks mobility (not as bad as Carkner) and limited offensive IQ.

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:20 AM
bacon25

Montreal will want their pound of flesh, put Gryba out there to answer the bell and score on the PP. This isn't a team of turtle's like Cooke.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:04 AM
KarlSen
Sinkhole Nation

Gryba. You come right back with him. Just like when the Leafs would goon it up in the playoffs, Sens would get to pre-occupied with it next game and got away from their game. Same potential here.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:06 AM
pt_mck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Montreal will want their pound of flesh, put Gryba out there to answer the bell and score on the PP. This isn't a team of turtle's like Cooke.
Why should gryba have to answer for clean hit? Cooke analogy is wrong.

pt_mck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 06:16 AM
KarlSen
Sinkhole Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
Cowen on Skinner ia better example.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:48 AM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt_mck View Post
He doesn't have to answer, Cooke didn't.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:50 AM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Alfie View Post
Cowen on Skinner ia better example.
Yes it is, my bad. I'm just saying that Gryba will be challenged to fight in the first 5 minutes of the game, whether anyone thinks it was dirty or not.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Yes it is, my bad. I'm just saying that Gryba will be challenged to fight in the first 5 minutes of the game, whether anyone thinks it was dirty or not.
I'm fine with this considering Gryba can crush anyone in their line-up.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
edx

I'd say play Gryba today for the road game--he's never a bad person to have on the ice. Help wear down Montreal, hopefully draw some penalties.

But back in Ottawa, with the last change, consider switching it up. Take advantage of the better puck movement, without worrying too much about overwhelming Wiercioch.

edx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:36 AM
guyzeur

What I find funny is that with many Sens fans Gryba was no longer a very good prospect not that long ago.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
What I find funny is that with many Sens fans Gryba was no longer a very good prospect not that long ago.
I don't really watch AHL or CHL so I try to wait and judge once they are up here. It is really funny how these guys get written off on here.

But I'm a huge fan of Gryba - he's got good wheels for a big guy, and he's no Karlsson with the puck but he's defintely competent back there.

Its just really nice to have so many huge but mobile d-men - I've never like our D corps better than right now, there's no weak link from 1-7. I think if Gryba doesn't get suspended you have to play him tonight.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Slack
Custom User Title

Well it seems that Shanaham decided on NO Gryba, then P Mac decided on... Benoit?

Slack is offline   Reply With Quote