HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grigorenko - 2 hits in 25 games

Closed Thread

Old
05-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Superhero

vCash: 500
Grigorenko - 2 hits in 25 games

I realize he is only 18 years old playing against men, but I certainly would hope he will add much more physicality to his game.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:18 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

radek faksa would have fit in better IMO, but the hope is Grigo is a 1st line scoring center. I dont need him to hit if he is scoring a point per game, but this guy IMO does not fit the style of player we want in Buffalo, going to be a problem.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:25 PM
Shmuffalo
It's SAMSON, bozo.

Let's focus on developing his strengths (scoring) before we start raggin on him for hitting. He's not a guy we're expecting to get physical play from, so I'm completely fine if he ends the year with 2 hits.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
So you're saying he had more hits than goals?

Old
05-10-2013, 06:40 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Seriously though, watching the guy at every level he looks like he plays with very little intensity. Im hoping thats just a youth thing.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:41 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Costanza View Post
Let's focus on developing his strengths (scoring) before we start raggin on him for hitting. He's not a guy we're expecting to get physical play from, so I'm completely fine if he ends the year with 2 hits.
This. We don't need 13 grinders/power forwards. I remember something from a Stamkos interview a while back where he said, when he practiced, he focused on making his natural talents great/elite and the weaknesses in his game passable. If Grigorenko puts in the work and does just that, he'll be the best center Buffalo's had in a long while.

Old
05-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
radek faksa would have fit in better IMO, but the hope is Grigo is a 1st line scoring center. I dont need him to hit if he is scoring a point per game, but this guy IMO does not fit the style of player we want in Buffalo, going to be a problem.
6 months before the draft, I liked Faksa in the 7-9 range. I was hoping he was there for the Sabres. Grigorenko, however was in the top 3. When he fell to us, there is no doubt in my mind that you would consider not taking him (sorry for the double negative). Grigs is still young.. younger than my children, so there is some growing up to do. I like the pick.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:06 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Idc he doesn't have to hit......

Old
05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
"Craigs on it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Faksa is half the prospect Grigo is

Old
05-10-2013, 07:18 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Faksa is half the prospect Grigo is
This is true. You get no argument from me about his potential.

I have never watched an 18-19 year old Sabres prospect before. I normally start watching them when they hit the AHL.

But when i compare him to a player like Galchenyuk, I just dont see any comparison in terms of skating and intensity.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Grigo's hit totals are the last thing I care about.

Old
05-10-2013, 07:37 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Grigo's hit totals are the last thing I care about.
Exactly. But apparently some fans care that he doesn't hit.

Old
05-10-2013, 11:24 PM
OkimLom

Grigorenko plays the game in a cerebral type of way. He is not always engaged in the play because he's reading the play. As long as he keeps an active stick and can be responsible in his own zone I could care less how many hits he has.

the problem with having a guy like this is that you need to be patient while he gets the strength and the speed of the game. The reward for this type of player is usually a talented playmaker. That can fill the role of the #1 centerman that we have been missing. He's got the tools and I can see him being ready in two years.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:27 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Why would I care about hits from a potential number one center. How many number one centers are deeply involved in the physical aspect of the game? Very few. Grigs is a Joe Thorton, Jason Spezza type player. He will develop just fine. He needs time to get stronger and improve his acceleration.

Old
05-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Moskau

And Tyler Ennis had twice as many as Vanek.

So...

Old
05-11-2013, 10:25 AM
Superhero

2 hits in 25 nhl games is pathetic. Vanek doesn't hit enough either but at least Vanek takes a pounding in front of the net. Grigorenko needs to add more physicality to his game. Especially for a guy who is 6'3"

Old
05-11-2013, 10:39 AM
missingmika

Patrick Kane had 11 hits in 47 games, but 55 points in 47 games. Would the Sabres not want Kane because he doesn't hit people (who aren't cabbies or at a bar) enough?

Grigs was a rookie still learning the system and he's not going to be someone that goes out and hits people. This is such a stupid stat to look at.

I bet the Bruins have been pretty upset that in 1997, they drafted Joe Thornton #1 overall and he only got 7 points. And the Bruins 2nd pick that year got 47 points and the Calder trophy.

Point is, stats at this age do not matter. What matters is how they develop the player.

Old
05-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
There is an old adage -- you can't hit what you can't catch. Early on, he wasn't skating well enough to even get in the way, let alone take someone out. He's a finesse playmaking center who wasn't ready for NHL-level competition. His hit total isn't a surprise.

05-11-2013, 11:33 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero View Post
2 hits in 25 nhl games is pathetic. Vanek doesn't hit enough either but at least Vanek takes a pounding in front of the net. Grigorenko needs to add more physicality to his game. Especially for a guy who is 6'3"
And if he doesn't? If he develops into a player who is as physical as Connolly was, but puts up 60-70 points a year... You would hate that? Really?

He won't play the physical game like Ovechkin. Fact.

Too bad it seems like you're one of those fans that expect more than what he'll ever be, therefore always be disappointed.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Rant Casey

I can just picture him running around the ice and stoically telling opposing players, "I must break you" in ersatz Drago fashion, before lighting them up. Then I take a step back into reality.

My concern is him developing the skill set he has now to full maturity/potential. Blocking shots, throwing thunderous hits, and spending time in/on rehab/long term disabled list isn't conducive to becoming the type of #1 he is projected as. I'd take the occasional "stepping up totally out of character" moment happily, but don't think it is a necessity. Strike fear into opposing netminders via creative playmaking and ridiculous technique please; there are others to play the grinding role.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:37 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

He may be here for goalscoring, but there's only so much goalscoring you can do in the NHL, especially in the playoffs, if you're not able to play physically as well. Tim Connolly is a guy who comes to mind when I think of gifted scorers who couldn't complement those skills with enough of a physical game for them to flourish.

Old
05-11-2013, 12:43 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
And if he doesn't? If he develops into a player who is as physical as Connolly was, but puts up 60-70 points a year... You would hate that? Really?
My lasting memories of Tim Connolly were of him barely getting over the blueline in the playoffs before being rubbed right off the puck so easily it looked like cheating. His line should've been stapled to the bench against tough teams. So physicality is a complementary skill to shooting, passing and skating when it comes to putting up offense in the NHL, especially in the playoffs. Grigorenko will face that reality, too, and if he doesn't adapt or develop, he won't be of much use in terms of the end goal: winning in the playoffs.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:06 PM
JLewyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Grigorenko plays the game in a cerebral type of way. He is not always engaged in the play because he's reading the play. As long as he keeps an active stick and can be responsible in his own zone I could care less how many hits he has.

the problem with having a guy like this is that you need to be patient while he gets the strength and the speed of the game. The reward for this type of player is usually a talented playmaker. That can fill the role of the #1 centerman that we have been missing. He's got the tools and I can see him being ready in two years.
Agreed. You can replace physicality with good positioning and great instincts. He only had three less takeaways then Steve Ott(7 to 10) in about a quarter of TOI. I'd rather have him be the guy staying in good position blocking off passing lanes while a teammate engages the opposing player along the boards. That way, Grigs can come in and snag the puck from behind or anticipate the pass out. At the end, Grig is the guy with puck on his stick, which is where he is at his best. I'm more concerned about Hodgson who I don't trust in either one of those roles especially in his own end.

Old
05-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

oh no

Bustorenko

Old
05-11-2013, 02:33 PM
SoFFacet

Grigs still has a lanky teen body, too light to either hit in the NHL or absorb NHL hits without getting knocked off the puck. He just needs to grow. Still, even if/after he does, his job is to skate read pass and shoot. We have acquired plenty of other forwards for setting a physical tone.

Closed Thread