HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End Of Season Press Conference 1PM today (Audio Link, Post #1)

Old
04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
Just so nobody missed the fall out.

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...n.html?ref=brp
That chat had the level of dissent I'd expect from a Q&A between North Korean citizens and Kim Jong Un.

"You're amazing, you're great!!!"

"Oh, well thank you!!"

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:11 PM
betterdays

vCash: 500
The reporters have been in open revolt over the fact that Terry Pegula, the owner of the Sabres, is not making himself available for the press conference.

I wonder how Mike Connelly, the Editor-in-chief of TBN would feel about making himself openly available to an interview about the integrity and professionalism of his sports writers?

betterdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Only fans I know that actually complain about the media getting on a losing sports franchise.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Only fans I know that actually complain about the media getting on a losing sports franchise.
Geeeezus will you get over it already? You can't or refuse to grasp the separate and different issues that most of us are criticizing TBN for. "Getting on a losing sports franchise" for relevant, accurate, in-depth reasons is great. Whining over a non-hockey issue like ticket prices and how often the owner talks to reporters is petty and useless to readers. Figure out the difference before posting again.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
The reporters have been in open revolt over the fact that Terry Pegula, the owner of the Sabres, is not making himself available for the press conference.

I wonder how Mike Connelly, the Editor-in-chief of TBN would feel about making himself openly available to an interview about the integrity and professionalism of his sports writers?
If one of those guys did not do the job ask of him they would be fired. When we compare other situations understand this is a franchise that kept a head coach for 15 years and a GM for 16+ years with no cups and one of the lowest playoff appearance % over that time.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:42 PM
BackGroundMusic
hoc quoque finiet

Quote:
If one of those guys did not do the job ask of him they would be fired.
I find that rather amusing, considering Bucky's philosophy of "I don't care and won't even bother".

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:45 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
If one of those guys did not do the job ask of him they would be fired. When we compare other situations understand this is a franchise that kept a head coach for 15 years and a GM for 16+ years with no cups and one of the lowest playoff appearance % over that time.
Right. Which is why it would be great if they asked hockey related questions.

Everybody on this board loves tough journalists. Everybody hates stupid journalists. IMO, TBN was stupid, not tough, today.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:46 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

So how many of you who slam and hate Sullivan, Harrington, and Gleason also follow them on Twitter or read their columns?

I think that was a terrific display of sophomoric reporters punching their chest and trying to stay relevant.

ZZamboni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
betterdays

Quote:

I would find it hard to believe that the chief editors tell their reporters to stand at a PC, grab a microphone, and scream at the Sabres' echelon, demanding answers as to why they haven't taken up their advice yet to fire their GM.

Or maybe I'm wrong.......it's TBN.

Somebody earlier posted that this whole thing seemed like a Mel Brooks skit, and I agree. It just seemed surreal.

Professional reporters just don't get angry like that. They are supposed to ask hard questions and report unbiased facts. These writers have embedded themselves in such personal battles with the team over the years that they are writing themselves into "the story."

Why should Sullivan or Harrison care who the GM is, or whether TP was at the press conference? They can ask about it, but they should not become flamboyantly angry about the issue. It's too personal, and too weird.

Makes for good popcorn eating though.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So how many of you who slam and hate Sullivan, Harrington, and Gleason also follow them on Twitter or read their columns?

I think that was a terrific display of sophomoric reporters punching their chest and trying to stay relevant.
I don't. I was reading the same columns over and over without learning anything. It wasn't informative and it wasn't entertaining.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:
I would find it hard to believe that the chief editors tell their reporters to stand at a PC, grab a microphone, and scream at the Sabres' echelon, demanding answers as to why they haven't taken up their advice yet to fire their GM.

Somebody earlier posted that this whole thing seemed like a Mel Brooks skit, and I agree. It just seemed surreal.

Professional reporters just don't get angry like that. They are supposed to ask hard questions and report unbiased facts. These writers have embedded themselves in such personal battles with the team over the years that they are writing themselves into "the story."

Why should Sullivan or Harrison care who the GM is, or whether TP was at the press conference? They can ask about it, but they should not become flamboyantly angry about the issue. It's too personal, and too weird.

It is rare when someone boldly lies to a reporter and doesnt get called out. Everyone in the room knew he was lying, other media members even had to question Black about the comment that Pegula is available.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:01 PM
CrankyJay

vCash: 50
Quote:

Sullivan is a columnist, so he doesn't really need to be unbiased.

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Sabre Dance
Winners win

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
Right. Which is why it would be great if they asked hockey related questions.

Everybody on this board loves tough journalists. Everybody hates stupid journalists. IMO, TBN was stupid, not tough, today.
I got hockey question asked. What else was there to ask? They asked about prospects, Miller, Vanek, and Ott. How do they get better. The draft. Coaching..

All answered with typical answers.

Why does Pegula feel Regier is the right GM for the job, why does he deserved this chance to rebuild? That was asked twice, never answered.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:22 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

vCash: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Sullivan is a columnist, so he doesn't really need to be unbiased.
If he's a columnist, he doesn't really need to be there asking questions either.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:36 PM
flashsabre

There was nothing wrong with the questions they asked, they were legitimate questions that need to be answered. The issue is with the way they conducted themselves while asking the questions.

Their conduct was unprofessional and embarrassing and I felt sorry for everyone sitting in that room today.

I would have loved to have seen todays PC but with Brian Burke and Torts up there answering those questions. It might have been the most entertaining hour of all time!

flashsabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:07 PM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

vCash: 50
Sabres tell fans at a press conference today to get ready for some more suffering (as if 43 years hasn't been enough) after another ****** season, and most folks on this section of hfboards are up in arms..... over what The Buffalo News is doing. Sounds about right

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me View Post
Sabres tell fans at a press conference today to get ready for some more suffering (as if 43 years hasn't been enough) after another ****** season, and most folks on this section of hfboards are up in arms..... over what The Buffalo News is doing. Sounds about right
Because people around here don't ***** enough about the team's on-ice performance, right? Or Regier's performance as a GM? Please. The way some of the journalists--used loosely--conducted themselves today was embarrassing, both to themselves and their employers.

It's ironic that some of the journalists rip the organization as out of touch with the public, and then those same journalists march into a press conference and think that same public--on whose behalf Mike Harrington purports to be working--wants to hear a 15-minute pillowfight over why the owner doesn't talk to the media more frequently. Talk about out of touch.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:28 PM
betterdays

Quote:
Somebody posted a stat recently showing how many top 10 picks each team has had in the past 26 years. The Sabres were by far the fewest, at just 2. So, just 2 times in the past 26 years has the team finished in the bottom 1/2 to 1/3 of the league.

I'd like to see the Sabres win the Cup like anyone else, but I'm not willing to say we've "suffered" through 43 years.

And this also brings me to another concern.......why is Terry being made to carry the weight of the shortcomings of the franchise's entire history? He has only had the team for a few short years, and has made more of a push than any other owner to immediately improve the quality of the team and the national perspective of the franchise. The way the media goes after Terry, it's as if they demand an instant Cup from him, just because the team has gone 43 years without one.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:43 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Quote:

Miss playoffs again, tell fans to get ready for suffering and raise ticket prices (to make the team "financially viable" for future owners ) Why does it need to be financially viable for future owners? His daughters don't want to keep the team in the family? There would be many owners who would want to purchase the Sabres, they are an elite hockey market and get more fans to watch the games outside on a projection screen then teams like Carolina and Nashville get in their actual arena. That financially viable shtick is complete horse ****. Especially for a multi billionaire who cried when seeing his heroes and parading himself around as the mayor of "pegulaville". (I was at the Thrashers game when he was sitting in the 300s with Black and had the spotlight shown on him looking all smug. )Now him and his crony are telling the fans he needs to raise prices for a future owner. Gee, his lifelong dream is to buy the Sabres and he's already telling the fans he is raising ticket prices to keep the team stable for a future owner. What, is he gonna sell the team in a year or two? So much for his lifelong dream. He can donate 100+ million to Penn State and pay millions to Bill O Brien so he would stay at PSU yet needs to charge the fans more to watch a **** product. And didn't tickets get raised last year too? I remember the 300 level IVs were $410 for a season ticket. Back when the games were fun.

"If I want to make some money I"ll go drill another gas hole"

Doesn't care about money yet raises ticket prices even more to watch a team getting worse and worse. No series wins in 6 years yet keeps the architect of the losing teams. Pegula doesn't show up this year but hey, atleast the team had one (which they didn't even hold last year )

Ted Black is a snake oil salesman. Cant stand the guy, handing out programs to fans doesnt make you an elite president.

Golisano provided dirt cheap tickets for a top product the first couple years of his ownership and is vilified as a "cheap" owner (even though he stated his goal was to break even since he bought the team to save them.) Pegula who is 3x richer raises ticket prices again and is paraded as the savior.

Regier says get ready for "some" suffering in order to win a cup He said it like its a guarantee we will win a cup after we are **** poor bad . I'm not surprised at all about the statements and answers given at the press conference but the honeymoon needs to be over for "big daddy Ted" and "papa Pegula". They aren't the saviors everyone proclaimed them to be when they purchased the team. Pegula is no more then the Dan Snyder of the NHL. Delivering season tickets or building a fireplace in a locker room don't make you a great owner,winning games and cups do that. He claimed we would win a cup within 3 years and then go out and do it again. Now they are saying we will need 3 years of "suffering" before we are good again.

The best thing is Darcy talking about the UFA market and how it will never be as good as it used to be. (Because great teams do whatever it takes to keep their stars and dump the secondary players). So Regier acknowledges that the UFA market will blow the next few years and he is probably going to trade an elite goal scorer in Vanek, since he doesn't want to stay on a garbage team the next 3 years. Good teams don't need to bottom out for several years before getting good, they should be able to construe a playoff team for next year. The East isn't that good. Regier just can't build a winner anymore and needs to go.

Last edited by La Cosa Nostra: 04-29-2013 at 09:50 PM.
La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:19 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Finally got a chance to watch this after work.

Worse than even I thought it would be.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:27 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
That chat had the level of dissent I'd expect from a Q&A between North Korean citizens and Kim Jong Un.

"You're amazing, you're great!!!"

"Oh, well thank you!!"
There is a reason that they moderate those chats. Controlling the message is key.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
Beerz

Quote:
I got hockey question asked. What else was there to ask? They asked about prospects, Miller, Vanek, and Ott. How do they get better. The draft. Coaching..

All answered with typical answers.

Why does Pegula feel Regier is the right GM for the job, why does he deserved this chance to rebuild? That was asked twice, never answered.
Yes it was... you and the "reporters" from TBN didn't like the answer and refused to accept it.

Black clearly stated the decision was made in January when Reigers contract was extended ... a press conference attended by ..none ofther than Terrance Pegula.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Zippster

Darcy only needs 10 more years, then we can stop suffering.

While the Buffalo Snooze may be a rag, they werent the only ones calling out the bs they heard, didnt see any mention here of Scott Brown from Wgrz also jumping into the mix and asking for a date and time to talk to Pegula.

What cracks me up the most around here is, I hear national media say how they cant believe how great the buffalo fans are filling the stadium and fnc year after year of garbage teams, yet people here insist that because we complain and ask for better rightfully so, we are terrible and the worst in the league....lmao.

Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post

Miss playoffs again, tell fans to get ready for suffering and raise ticket prices (to make the team "financially viable" for future owners ) Why does it need to be financially viable for future owners? His daughters don't want to keep the team in the family? There would be many owners who would want to purchase the Sabres, they are an elite hockey market and get more fans to watch the games outside on a projection screen then teams like Carolina and Nashville get in their actual arena. That financially viable shtick is complete horse ****. Especially for a multi billionaire who cried when seeing his heroes and parading himself around as the mayor of "pegulaville". (I was at the Thrashers game when he was sitting in the 300s with Black and had the spotlight shown on him looking all smug. )Now him and his crony are telling the fans he needs to raise prices for a future owner. Gee, his lifelong dream is to buy the Sabres and he's already telling the fans he is raising ticket prices to keep the team stable for a future owner. What, is he gonna sell the team in a year or two? So much for his lifelong dream. He can donate 100+ million to Penn State and pay millions to Bill O Brien so he would stay at PSU yet needs to charge the fans more to watch a **** product. And didn't tickets get raised last year too? I remember the 300 level IVs were $410 for a season ticket. Back when the games were fun.

"If I want to make some money I"ll go drill another gas hole"

Doesn't care about money yet raises ticket prices even more to watch a team getting worse and worse. No series wins in 6 years yet keeps the architect of the losing teams. Pegula doesn't show up this year but hey, atleast the team had one (which they didn't even hold last year )

Ted Black is a snake oil salesman. Cant stand the guy, handing out programs to fans doesnt make you an elite president.

Golisano provided dirt cheap tickets for a top product the first couple years of his ownership and is vilified as a "cheap" owner (even though he stated his goal was to break even since he bought the team to save them.) Pegula who is 3x richer raises ticket prices again and is paraded as the savior.

Regier says get ready for "some" suffering in order to win a cup He said it like its a guarantee we will win a cup after we are **** poor bad . I'm not surprised at all about the statements and answers given at the press conference but the honeymoon needs to be over for "big daddy Ted" and "papa Pegula". They aren't the saviors everyone proclaimed them to be when they purchased the team. Pegula is no more then the Dan Snyder of the NHL. Delivering season tickets or building a fireplace in a locker room don't make you a great owner,winning games and cups do that. He claimed we would win a cup within 3 years and then go out and do it again. Now they are saying we will need 3 years of "suffering" before we are good again.

The best thing is Darcy talking about the UFA market and how it will never be as good as it used to be. (Because great teams do whatever it takes to keep their stars and dump the secondary players). So Regier acknowledges that the UFA market will blow the next few years and he is probably going to trade an elite goal scorer in Vanek, since he doesn't want to stay on a garbage team the next 3 years. Good teams don't need to bottom out for several years before getting good, they should be able to construe a playoff team for next year. The East isn't that good. Regier just can't build a winner anymore and needs to go.
I don't think Black gave a completely honest answer about the reason for ticket price increase. Sure, they need to show revenue growth to qualify for full revenue sharing, but they're not dependent on that with Pegula's deep pockets. I think the real reason they need to show revenue growth is to stay in the good graces of the NHL and other owners. I'm sure they'd like to host more outdoor games, the draft, the all star game, a rookie tournament, and nhl scouting combine. For any of that to happen, they need the blessing of the NHL.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:37 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
I don't think Black gave a completely honest answer about the reason for ticket price increase. Sure, they need to show revenue growth to qualify for full revenue sharing, but they're not dependent on that with Pegula's deep pockets. I think the real reason they need to show revenue growth is to stay in the good graces of the NHL and other owners. I'm sure they'd like to host more outdoor games, the draft, the all star game, a rookie tournament, and nhl scouting combine. For any of that to happen, they need the blessing of the NHL.
This is valid.

----------------

People are missing the point

it's not that we disagree with everything TBN says and side with management. It's that they (Harrington and Sullivan) conducted themselves like angry teenaged girls

to build on what Zip said... This fan base, these boards in particular, exhibit their fair share of complaints about the team and management and coaching. But we don't get paid to be professionals

you can't make a comment as a reporter with a preface of something like "most of the fan base agrees" or "majority of fans feel"... You have NO way of quantifying that. This is basic journalism. You preface thoughts like today with "a lot of fans feel" or "it has been noted by several fans" or "there is a contingent of fans who".. Etc. Don't claim to represent any majority. You can't justify that.

when a question is asked, and you disagree with the answer, you don't re-ask the question. You can write that you disagree with the response, but you don't harp on the same things by asking it multiple times expecting a reply to change. You don't have to agree with the response, but you don't try to induce a new response to the same question by repeating it. Again, this is **** you learn in your first year of being a journalism student.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote