HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End Of Season Press Conference 1PM today (Audio Link, Post #1)

Old
04-30-2013, 01:55 AM
Beerz

vCash: 500
I thought Harrington was going to stand up and throw his shoe at Black like that Iraqi reporter did to Bush.

It's absolutely hilarious that these guys get this bent out of shape over such silly things and claim they are "fighting for the fan" when we are talking about grown men sliding around on ice chasing a rubber disc.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:42 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

I understand the initial questions from the TBN reporters, but not their overblown reactions.

Anyone who complains about ticket increases but has a problem with Sullivan's question is a hypocrite and I'm glad he put Black on the spot, but he could've said, "Yes, I'm a columnist and that's my opinion," rather than getting defensive.

Same with Harrington. No problem asking why we haven't heard from Pegula, but pushing for an answer he wants over what he got is childish.

Pegula is a businessman with many other enterprises than the Sabres. Why is it so hard to believe that he bought the team because he wanted to help it succeed, then put two guys in charge (Black and Regier) who he thought could make it work on the business and the hockey ends?

It's not that hard to believe, and if Black told the truth, then the hockey decisions come from Regier. Darcy said after Ruff was fired that it was his decision, and maybe Pegula leaned on him, but if it was ultimately Darcy's decision, why should Pegula be forced to comment?

And yes, I'd like to know Terry's thoughts on keeping Darcy around, but it's not like he owes it to anyone to explain himself. Now, if something were to change with Darcy's status, I'm sure we'll hear from him.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:51 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Its really this simple. Pegula, Black, Sawyer, etc feel Regier can rebuild the franchise. TBN reporters and many posters on here may disagree. But that doesn't make the Sabres upper management dysfunctional. It means they hold a different opinion of Regier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
What bothers me is that the "media" can't just accept the Sabres' position on Darcy.
Professional sports are a result-oriented business. Regier has been tasked with building the roster for the last 11 years yet his teams in that time haven't even been eligible to compete for the Cup, much less win it, in 7 of those years. It's that simple fact / truth, which everyone outside of Buffalo sees as clearly and objectively as those in Buffalo do, that is the core root of all the anger and frustration with Regier being retained. It defies logic - which in turn causes frustrations at not understanding something and becoming emotionally upset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I read that as top tier players never make to free agency anymore, and teams don't really trade them either, so the only realistic way to acquire them is by drafting them yourself.
Regier made it a point to explain how the Kings acquired Carter and Richards as two top players for their Cup win - they had to give up a former # 2 overall player (Jack Johnson) for Carter and a former # 5 overall player (Brayden Schenn) for Richards.

It certainly sounded like he saw having a bundle of draft picks at his disposal as bargaining chips to trade to teams for an established top player - and his prior WGR interview where he described draft picks as the "currency of today's NHL" because teams don't want to give them up reinforces that perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So how many of you who slam and hate Sullivan, Harrington, and Gleason also follow them on Twitter or read their columns?
Frankly, it's a matter of supply and demand - there's obviously a demand by fans of the Sabres to get news about the team. Unfortunately, in a town with 1 newspaper and 1 sports talk show station, the only way to get that news is to follow those few media members that are given the access to the team. It shouldn't be confused with preferences or free will. Sure, everyone hates those 3 TBN writers - but, if presented a choice between ignoring any coverage by TBN (thereby being in the dark on what's happening with the team and its players) and tolerating the predictable agendas and personal opinions that those writers mix into their writing, 99.9% of the fans will choose the latter.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:25 AM
Djp

I have watched the news conference video.....

i am a risk communication expert. You DO NOT announce you are raising ticket prices on a fan appreciation day. You dont---this is callous.

When something is going on the leader needs to speak publically---not the second or third twice removed. the owner needs to come out and speak publically because they are offically the final deciders if something disasters happen.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:30 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

i am a risk communication expert. You DO NOT announce you are raising ticket prices on a fan appreciation day. You dont---this is callous.

When something is going on the leader needs to speak publically---not the second or third twice removed. the owner needs to come out and speak publically because they are offically the final deciders if something disasters happen.
Reuben, you for scuba?

This is a sports franchise, though. It's just not common for owners to speak in the manner that is being demanded.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:10 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

Ted Black saying it would hurt someone on their birthday is just childish. Its ***king fan appreciation day, your fans are pissed off, and now you are raising ticket prices and talking about revenue sharing. Awesome.

That whole not wanting to make money thing sure turned around in a hurry. Tickets are higher and the team is worse. Awesome.

Also, I find it comical that they said they were planning the rebuild last year when Gaustad was dealt. Why try and bring in Doan and then fire Ruff? I'm not a huge fan and I definitely think it was time foe him to go but I'd you're planning a full tilt rebuild them why fire your coach and bring back the gm?

Teddy wants to talk about how great of a job Darcy has done since they got there, ywg the team is worse than it was at anytime during the Golisano era. Ted won't talk about regier back then as far as the mistakes he made, yet he points out the couple years after the lockout as a defense for Regier whenever he sees fit.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:40 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
A one / two dollar hike on what are already some of the cheapest tickets in the league for season tickets for which there is a queue of thousands waiting to get in advertised on a day that most fans aren't really engaged in anyhow.

Sorry, I think it's funny. Black's point was that they sent out the hikes as soon as they decided on them to give everyone as much advance as possible. I think you'd have to be quite sensitive, a good two or three standard deviations from the norm, to actually be upset about it.

It was a talking point for our bush league sports writers to use for material.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:14 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Reuben, you for scuba?

This is a sports franchise, though. It's just not common for owners to speak in the manner that is being demanded.
I disagree on a couple of points.

First, there is the question of why Regier is still the GM. Black said yesterday that Regier works for Pegula and not himself. Given the previous announcement that Regier would be judged on how he did under Pegula's ownership, I believe it is a valid question to ask how barely making the playoffs and losing in the first round, then missing last season, and regressing this season and missing again gets Regier another year or more as GM.

If the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, why is a GM that has had his team finish worse and worse under new ownership still employed is a valid question that only Pegula can answer apparently.

Also, given Pegula's statement about this not being about the money, I think it is valid to ask him why they are raising ticket prices after a lockout and then a horrible season on the ice.

If the answer is supply and demand and pressure from the NHL and NHLPA to grow revenue, I can kind of accept that. But, I think Pegula needs to be the one answering that question, as well.

I'd also like to point out that Channel 2 was banging on these points, as well. To say it was just the TBN guys would be unfair.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
A one / two dollar hike on what are already some of the cheapest tickets in the league for season tickets for which there is a queue of thousands waiting to get in advertised on a day that most fans aren't really engaged in anyhow.

Sorry, I think it's funny. Black's point was that they sent out the hikes as soon as they decided on them to give everyone as much advance as possible. I think you'd have to be quite sensitive, a good two or three standard deviations from the norm, to actually be upset about it.

I do think it was unfortunate timing.

They should have sent that letter out this week.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegomyLeggio View Post

I'm good with "unfortunate," but not the verbage the media was slinging around.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:42 AM
Jim Bob
I Believe

Quote:
I'm good with "unfortunate," but not the verbiage the media was slinging around.
I understand people in the media exaggerating for effect.

I just wish they would have spent more time venting about other things.

Like when Regier mentioned suffering, I was waiting for a question about how much fans have suffered the past two seasons without the payout that Regier is talking about the future suffering delivering.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:51 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

Its all about principle. A 1 to 2 dollar hike shouldn't matter much to a multi-billionaire. The whole organization is a laughing stock in the league right now and on top of it they are raising ticket prices so they can qualify for revenue sharing? I thought the Golisano era was gone? Oh wait, he kept ticket prices the same and concessions the same for a majority of his time in Buffalo.

Its a slow but early way to start earning back the money being dumped on the Harbor project. Yea it's going to be nice to have, but eventually it will be all bought and paid for (and then some) by us fans.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Its all about principle. A 1 to 2 dollar hike shouldn't matter much to a multi-billionaire.
I don't think Pegula is doing it for personal income, I think it's about the league business.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:00 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:

I don't think it was done maliciously but the timing was horrible. Let the season pass and then mail it out if you're going to do it.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
I don't think Pegula is doing it for personal income, I think it's about the league business.
I don't think its all about personal income, but I do think its to help him get money back that he has spent. Like I said, the harbor project is going to be nice for fans, but its a nice investment for him. If anyone thinks he's doing it not even considering the pretty penny he's going to make off it... they are crazy.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:05 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:

Let me try this again, since people are having a hard time with the concept.

THE BUFFALO SABRES DID NOT ANNOUNCE A TICKET PRICE INCREASE ON FAN APPRECIATION DAY. _SOME_ STHers GOT THEIR LETTER THAT DAY. OTHERS DIDN'T.

Frankly, it's a joke that people are insinuating the Sabres conspired with the USPS on the timing of the letter delivery.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:08 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Its all about principle. A 1 to 2 dollar hike shouldn't matter much to a multi-billionaire. The whole organization is a laughing stock in the league right now and on top of it they are raising ticket prices so they can qualify for revenue sharing? I thought the Golisano era was gone? Oh wait, he kept ticket prices the same and concessions the same for a majority of his time in Buffalo.

Its a slow but early way to start earning back the money being dumped on the Harbor project. Yea it's going to be nice to have, but eventually it will be all bought and paid for (and then some) by us fans.
The Sabres don't set pricing for concessions. Delaware North does.

HarborCenter is going to be paid for by:

- Hotel patrons
- Ice rink rentals
- Canisus Hockey rent
- Storefront/retail rents

Insinuating that Pegula is using money from the Sabres to fund HC is embarrassing. He's not John Rigas.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:

I'm a strategic-operational planner / leader for the USG. The leader does not need to come out and speak on everything. The DoD is going through immense changes right now. President Obama isn't addressing the situation, or the media. Secretary Hagel and General Dempsey are. That's why they have jobs. No one is asking President Obama about the military remake or world refocus. Nor should they.

TBN's obsession about speaking to Pegula is odd. It doesn't happen with other owners.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:11 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Also, given Pegula's statement about this not being about the money, I think it is valid to ask him why they are raising ticket prices after a lockout and then a horrible season on the ice.
Because it's also about not losing money, or losing as little as possible. The team needs to show it's viable. It needs to show it could stay afloat, outside of the luxury spending by Pegula (arena improvements and such).

So no, it's not about making money. As I've said before, there's a distinction between not wanting (or needing) to make money and not wanting to lose money.

Quote:
Its all about principle. A 1 to 2 dollar hike shouldn't matter much to a multi-billionaire.
It's not about his bottom line. It's about the team as a business and about the NHL business as a whole. The Sabres need to be good NHL citizens.

Quote:
The whole organization is a laughing stock in the league right now and on top of it they are raising ticket prices so they can qualify for revenue sharing?
I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Quote:
I thought the Golisano era was gone? Oh wait, he kept ticket prices the same and concessions the same for a majority of his time in Buffalo.
He also kept spending down which allowed for that.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:16 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:

This is a pro-hockey team, nothing outside of a terrorist attack on the arena during a game could qualify as "disastrous".

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:25 AM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I understand people in the media exaggerating for effect.

I just wish they would have spent more time venting about other things.

Like when Regier mentioned suffering, I was waiting for a question about how much fans have suffered the past two seasons without the payout that Regier is talking about the future suffering delivering.
Exactly. They have a lot of fodder for quality followup questions rather than just railing about Pegula's availability for an interview. Pin them down on the hockey side of things, stop blathering about this personal snit between TBN and the Sabres ownership.

04-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Shmuffalo
O'Reilly's Getaway

I'm listening to the conference now. These "journalists" are embarrassing.

Shmuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Zippster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
Let me try this again, since people are having a hard time with the concept.

THE BUFFALO SABRES DID NOT ANNOUNCE A TICKET PRICE INCREASE ON FAN APPRECIATION DAY. _SOME_ STHers GOT THEIR LETTER THAT DAY. OTHERS DIDN'T.

Frankly, it's a joke that people are insinuating the Sabres conspired with the USPS on the timing of the letter delivery.
I actually find it more funny that they blamed the post office for being "so efficient" thats a term I havent heard anyone use in describing the USPS ever. I think the average person here even has a grip on how long it takes a letter to arrive yet the Sabres didnt?

I also dont really believe anyone thinks it is the most insensitive thing they have ever heard of and are done being fans because of it, instead IMO, just more a common courtesy / sense thing to me that this organization would not want to announce a price increase in conjunction with the ending of another garbage season.
"Hey fans, thanks for paying your hard earned money all season for garbage hockey and oh by the way, now pay us even more"

Zippster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:41 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Professional sports are a result-oriented business. Regier has been tasked with building the roster for the last 11 years yet his teams in that time haven't even been eligible to compete for the Cup, much less win it, in 7 of those years. It's that simple fact / truth, which everyone outside of Buffalo sees as clearly and objectively as those in Buffalo do, that is the core root of all the anger and frustration with Regier being retained. It defies logic - which in turn causes frustrations at not understanding something and becoming emotionally upset.

Regier made it a point to explain how the Kings acquired Carter and Richards as two top players for their Cup win - they had to give up a former # 2 overall player (Jack Johnson) for Carter and a former # 5 overall player (Brayden Schenn) for Richards.

It certainly sounded like he saw having a bundle of draft picks at his disposal as bargaining chips to trade to teams for an established top player - and his prior WGR interview where he described draft picks as the "currency of today's NHL" because teams don't want to give them up reinforces that perception.

Frankly, it's a matter of supply and demand - there's obviously a demand by fans of the Sabres to get news about the team. Unfortunately, in a town with 1 newspaper and 1 sports talk show station, the only way to get that news is to follow those few media members that are given the access to the team. It shouldn't be confused with preferences or free will. Sure, everyone hates those 3 TBN writers - but, if presented a choice between ignoring any coverage by TBN (thereby being in the dark on what's happening with the team and its players) and tolerating the predictable agendas and personal opinions that those writers mix into their writing, 99.9% of the fans will choose the latter.
Regarding the bottom point, sabrespace.com often has links to Olean Times Herald articles, I read those more often than anything else tbh.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:48 AM
Clock

Quote:
I don't think its all about personal income, but I do think its to help him get money back that he has spent. Like I said, the harbor project is going to be nice for fans, but its a nice investment for him. If anyone thinks he's doing it not even considering the pretty penny he's going to make off it... they are crazy.
Let's be logical.

Pegula is basically a self-made billionaire.

Do you really think that his best investments would consist of the harbor project, or the Buffalo Sabres, or their ridiculous locker room / training areas? How can you seriously look at those things and say "HE'S ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY" but then write off the need for the team to stay in the good graces of the NHL and keep the franchise viable into the future?

I get that there are members of the fanbase that are pissed at the performance of the on-ice product, but when that leaks out into critiquing everything the ownership / front office does, it's misguided.

I'm seriously beginning to think that our fanbase doesn't deserve an owner like Pegula. The standard he's being held to is really just thinly-veiled frustration at the team, and the flack that some of us are giving the media is that they're doing the same thing. If we're in the playoffs right now no one cares about this petty crap.