HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

End Of Season Press Conference 1PM today (Audio Link, Post #1)

Old
04-29-2013, 01:51 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Yeah but its BS. They had a chance to do it this year. A great chance. NOW they will turn around and trade Miller and Vanek and maybe more. If the plan was tank WHY DIDNT THEY GO FULL TANK!

We have long threads on it. Now the Sabres are saying thats the plan. Its always too late with Darcy.
Wasent aware a team was suppost to move Pominville/Leopold/Miller/Vanek/Regehr all in the same season, good to know.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:52 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I don't care if it was a "lie". That entire subject was about whether TBN gets to have face time with Pegula. I, nor any real hockey fan, give two @#$%s about that.
Only TBN does because they're desperate to justify their jobs and print media in general. So if they can't have face time, the next best thing is to whine about it and create a story about NOT getting face time in order to drive up readership from the knuckledraggers that lap that crap up like milk.
What is with fans defending the Sabres. Obviously there is a bad relationship between the News and the Sabres and a lot of fans blame the News.

I remember Harrington trying to talk hocke with Pegula a few weeks ago at the Harbor press conference. Pegula said no way, not here. Harrington went off today because Ted Black had the nerve to say Pegula was available at that event.

Darcy Regier then says there also phones, you can reach him by phone. BS!!!!

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Agreed, and that's why the end of the year press-conference is a giant waste of time.

They're not going to say anything of substance, and they shouldn't either.
So why have a year end press conference? Skip it again next year.

Jacob582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:53 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
They answered it. They said fans must suffer so we can get elite players.
Completely unrelated, teams without elite players can be good possession teams; teams with elite players aren't necessarily good possession teams e.g. Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Why? To listen to Regier speak in vague generalities? To give you the same old cliched responses? He's not going to give you anything of substance.
Maybe, maybe not, he's been more open with his answers recently than every before. Regardless, it doesn't mean we should have to listen to them try to make a story out of something that isn't one. You don't see anyone other newspaper outlets around the country clamoring to hear from an owner (and before you said he was at the beginning, the guy obviously had to introduce himself). And even if they did give vague answers, at least they'd have done their job and asked relevant questions.

Last edited by thefifagod: 04-29-2013 at 01:58 PM.
thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
By who? A couple message board posters? A bunch of Sabres apologists? This is a soft town. The fans can call out the team all they want, but when someone else does (other fans, media etc.) the mood changes to defensive. It's a weird complex Buffalo fans have always had.
What is soft is TBN having the opportunity to put pointed questions to Black about the retention of the architect of the on-ice product and not doing it. Why is Regier still here? What is it that he has done that points to him being someone capable of this sort of long-term rebuild? Any of that is ripe for the picking. What they did that was embarrassing was going off about Pegula's interview availability and the delivery of the season ticket increase notice rather than focusing on the team, where is it going, and why the stewardship of the person at the head of the hockey department continues.

Soft is getting angry over a made-up issue.

ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
You must be very new to newspaper reporting. Get with it.
I have a degree in broadcasting, and(even though I never really pursued a career in it)have forgotten more about it than you remember.

Why not just say "I hate everything" and leave it at that? Even Stevie Wonder can see this.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Wasent aware a team was suppost to move Pominville/Leopold/Miller/Vanek/Regehr all in the same season, good to know.
Ahh, how many teams also say fans need to suffer so we can rebuild? No, i agree what teams sell off everything, but Darcy just said the same thing fans were saying all year. Be bad, get top picks. So yeah, if thats the plan, then sell off everything.

And, lets not forget they said they started last season with the Gaustad trade.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
What is with fans defending the Sabres. Obviously there is a bad relationship between the News and the Sabres and a lot of fans blame the News.

I remember Harrington trying to talk hocke with Pegula a few weeks ago at the Harbor press conference. Pegula said no way, not here. Harrington went off today because Ted Black had the nerve to say Pegula was available at that event.

Doesn't make Harrington right (or professional) to go off on Black during a press conference.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Ahh, how many teams also say fans need to suffer so we can rebuild? No, i agree what teams sell off everything, but Darcy just said the same thing fans were saying all year. Be bad, get top picks. So yeah, if thats the plan, then sell off everything.

And, lets not forget they said they started last season with the Gaustad trade.
That's not what Regier said.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:57 PM
ckg927

SF: One more thing...do you think Jim Kelley-if he was still among us-would act the way Harrington and Sullivan did today?

There's only one correct answer. Choose wisely.

Old
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
That was awesome and entertaining. Personally, I can't stand Black. The guy never directly answers a question. So glad TBN went after them. Well deserved. People on here will direct their frustration to the wrong people (TBN).
That is funny. I think Black is refreshingly candid. He does a good job of communicating with fans on WGR when he is on, agreeing with their disappointment, and confirming that TP, management, coaches and players are just as disappointed.

He also happens to be the mouthpeice for Pegula to insulate him from these A-holios! This is by design.

Mgmt does not deserve a ride free from criticism. As has been said, there is a right and wrong way to do it. Talk about the hockey problems, not a silent owner or a ticket snafu.

The irrational, childish agenda being pushed by the three amigos at TBN is really embarassing.

While from a personal perspective, it would have been more fun had Black not apologized, he was more professional in doing so. He got a point across and probably embarrassed Harrington and then realized he had stooped to their level (probably felt filthy, dirty) and needed to right a wrong as mouthpiece (and take a shower).

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Doesn't make Harrington right (or professional) to go off on Black during a press conference.
Harrington was immature and should not have reacted the way he did. But i could care less about Mike Harington. I care about the Sabres and Ted Black lied.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
What is soft is TBN having the opportunity to put pointed questions to Black about the retention of the architect of the on-ice product and not doing it. Why is Regier still here? What is it that he has done that points to him being someone capable of this sort of long-term rebuild? Any of that is ripe for the picking. What they did that was embarrassing was going off about Pegula's interview availability and the delivery of the season ticket increase notice rather than focusing on the team, where is it going, and why the stewardship of the person at the head of the hockey department continues.

Soft is getting angry over a made-up issue.
I don't disagree with your Regier point. But I have no issue with them calling Black out with Pegula's availability. None. It's an issue for them, and they're the ones at the press conference, not us. And Black straight up lied to Harrington and then was called out for it. It was well deserved.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:58 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
That's not what Regier said.
What did he say then?

Old
04-29-2013, 01:59 PM
betterdays

I think I got an ulcer just listening to that PC.

Somebody needs to tell TBN guys that hockey is a sport, for entertainment. The way that Harrington was shouting, you would think something really important was being debated, like international politics.

I kind of feel bad for Terry Pegula. The guy came here and gave his all. Has dumped a gazillion dollars into a starving economy and given it a spark of hope for the future. Regarding the Sabres, he dumped a lot of money there, too, and certainly gave his best at winning a Cup.

I'm sure he was listening to this PC, and one has to wonder if he feels that maybe it's not worth it after all. He didn't buy the team to make money.....he bought it because he loves the sport and enjoys it. When the joy goes away, or if he feels like being an owner is just bringing him down, I wouldn't blame him for just hanging the whole thing up. He once mentioned wanting to see his kids someday own the team, but as all parents protect their kids, I would think that he would worry that his kids might be made to feel how TBN made him feel today......like ****.

betterdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

The fact that Pegula's availability is a discussion point is absurd to begin with. I'll just leave it at that

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:01 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
That is funny. I think Black is refreshingly candid. He does a good job of communicating with fans on WGR when he is on, agreeing with their disappointment, and confirming that TP, management, coaches and players are just as disappointed.
Yeah, I don't think so. The guy spewed the same canned lines every Thursday on Simon's show. You could predict with great accuracy every one of his responses.

Old
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
I honestly don't know. It's a massive waste of time.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
I think I got an ulcer just listening to that PC.

Somebody needs to tell TBN guys that hockey is a sport, for entertainment. The way that Harrington was shouting, you would think something really important was being debated, like international politics.

I kind of feel bad for Terry Pegula. The guy came here and gave his all. Has dumped a gazillion dollars into a starving economy and given it a spark of hope for the future. Regarding the Sabres, he dumped a lot of money there, too, and certainly gave his best at winning a Cup.

I'm sure he was listening to this PC, and one has to wonder if he feels that maybe it's not worth it after all. He didn't buy the team to make money.....he bought it because he loves the sport and enjoys it. When the joy goes away, or if he feels like being an owner is just bringing him down, I wouldn't blame him for just hanging the whole thing up. He once mentioned wanting to see his kids someday own the team, but as all parents protect their kids, I would think that he would worry that his kids might be made to feel how TBN made him feel today......like ****.
The biggest issue is him keeping Regier. Its all about perception. Firing Ruff was a step in the right direction, but then they keep the guy fans hate most.

Had the Sabres cleaned house there would not be this type of frustration.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:02 PM
ckg927

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post

He also happens to be the mouthpeice for Pegula to insulate him from these A-holios! This is by design.

Mgmt does not deserve a ride free from criticism. As has been said, there is a right and wrong way to do it. Talk about the hockey problems, not a silent owner or a ticket snafu.

The irrational, childish agenda being pushed by the three amigos at TBN is really embarassing.

While from a personal perspective, it would have been more fun had Black not apologized, he was more professional in doing so. He got a point across and probably embarrassed Harrington and then realized he had stooped to their level (probably felt filthy, dirty) and needed to right a wrong as mouthpiece (and take a shower).
Consider this post co-signed!

Old
04-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:

I'm defending the Sabres? Can't you separate various issues and critique each differently? TBN has a bunch of hacks writing about hockey and the team. I don't care how many mistakes the team has made or how bad they are, the owner has no obligation to placate the writers as they see fit. None, zero, null, nada, zilch.

If TBN weren't hacks with a personal grudge, they would've asked team related questions instead of owner related questions. That's what most fans want to know about, and TBN failed to deliver that information yet again.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:04 PM
betterdays

Quote:
I agree.....this PC had nothing of interest about hockey, since 80% of it was taken up by TBN's agenda.

How about " Darcy, what kind of players will you be looking to ad during the off-season?"

How about "Darcy, there has been a lot of talk about Vanek and Miller leaving, but what are you're feelings on Stafford?"

How about "Darcy, what kind of team would you like the Sabres to become? Since you have been annointed the future GM, what kind of identity would you like to see them develop? A tough, physical team? A fast, talented team? A team built around work ethic? A defense first team? An offense first team? A team built from the net out, or from the forwards back?

Those would have the questions I would have liked to see answered. Not 1/2 hour whining about why Terry wasn't at the PC, or won't take phone calls from TBN's journalists.

betterdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
What did he say then?
Go listen to the press conference. It's at Sabres.com

Old
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
What is soft is TBN having the opportunity to put pointed questions to Black about the retention of the architect of the on-ice product and not doing it. Why is Regier still here? What is it that he has done that points to him being someone capable of this sort of long-term rebuild?
Someone asked this, and Black punted the question to Darcy.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdays View Post
I agree.....this PC had nothing of interest about hockey, since 80% of it was taken up by TBN's agenda.

How about " Darcy, what kind of players will you be looking to ad during the off-season?"

How about "Darcy, there has been a lot of talk about Vanek and Miller leaving, but what are you're feelings on Stafford?"

How about "Darcy, what kind of team would you like the Sabres to become? Since you have been annointed the future GM, what kind of identity would you like to see them develop? A tough, physical team? A fast, talented team? A team built around work ethic? A defense first team? An offense first team? A team built from the net out, or from the forwards back?

Those would have the questions I would have liked to see answered. Not 1/2 hour whining about why Terry wasn't at the PC, or won't take phone calls from TBN's journalists.
Um those questions were asked. And he gave the same boring and cliched responses he always gives.