HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 new guys this year i wish to see next year

Old
04-26-2013, 06:22 PM
wyldthing89

vCash: 500
3 new guys this year i wish to see next year

These 3 guys deserve a spot for next year for me.

Kevin Porter can easily be an improve Matt Ellis, hard worker, play well in his zone and would be a perfect fin on a 3rd or 4th line.

Bryan Flynn as been a pleasant surprise for me, not the biggest guy on the ice but not afraid to give bodychecks, good speed and good hands, Gerbe's place is in jeopadry with him around nex year.

Final and not the smallest one is Big John Scott , never put his team in a bad position, will never score 10 goals but he know what to do on the ice and he keep the other team a little more calm when he is around.

I know they are not the guys that will bring the cup but with salary cap issues, every team need those kind of guys and they did a good job this year.

Last edited by wyldthing89: 04-26-2013 at 07:09 PM.
wyldthing89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Ness
New Age Retro Hippie

They could always bring back Kevin Roy.

Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Disengage

Who the hell is Derek Porter?

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:09 PM
wyldthing89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
Who the hell is Derek Porter?
Don't know why i always call him Derek lol, probably having a Derek head

Old
04-27-2013, 03:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Brian Flynn most certainly played himself into a roster spot next season. Porter to a lesser degree, but him too.

Flynn brings energy, sound play in all three zones, a high motor, and he chips in offensively. Zero doubt that he should be in the equation next season IMO

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 07:52 AM
HogtownSabresfan

If those guys are in the starting lineup, it'll show we are giving up next year

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Rasmus Reichel

Flynn- yes
Porter- no
Scott- meh, 13th foreard sure

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Flynn- yes
Porter- no
I'm on the same boat here.

Scott as the 13th guy fine. I don't want him playing a ton of games, that's for sure.

Porter in the AHL to be called up if needed.

Flynn I like as a bottom 6 guy next season.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Sabresfansince1980

I want the roster to be solid enough to have Porter as a call-up, not a starter.

Scott won't be anymore than what he is now.

Flynn could bea potential 3rd liner, but I hope he has to stay a very good 4th liner.

The three players I'm excited to see next season are Grigorenko, hopefully Larsson, and more of Ruhwedel. I'm also hopeful that Weber and Pysyk can keep up what they showed or get better...can probably add seven players to that list though.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:54 AM
tsujimoto74

Flynn definitely played his way into a roster spot, IMO. Gives solid effort in all 3 zones and chipped in plenty enough to stay on the 3rd line offensively.
Porter...Meh.
I'd definitely be down with keeping Scott as a 13th forward. Seems like a good teammate and a good character guy in the room.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:11 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Flynn definitely played his way into a roster spot, IMO. Gives solid effort in all 3 zones and chipped in plenty enough to stay on the 3rd line offensively.
Porter...Meh.
I'd definitely be down with keeping Scott as a 13th forward. Seems like a good teammate and a good character guy in the room.
Ditto

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Workensons
doginthebathtub

Nothing but respect for Porter. My stance has completely changed on him from a few months ago. Left his heart on his sleeve, didn't let anyone win a puck battle easily, and even was rewarded with a few goals. I've got no problem with keeping him for the 4th line.

Same with Flynn. Love what he brings. Don't think he'll ever be a top 6 player, but he's got a real admirable work ethic and brings some character to the room. Really liking the idea of an Ott-Larsson-Flynn line to oppose top lines. Perfect player(s) to ween Larsson into the NHL.

Scott, eh. I like that he won't think twice about dropping the gloves. But with a healthy Tropp, Grigs, Flynn, Larsson all gnashing their teeth for roster spots, he will be nothing more than a 13th forward and maybe even an AHL'er. I say keep him as long as he knows and accepts that he probably won't play as much as this year.

Workensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:44 AM
PlamsUnlimited
Get in the Boat Pls

vCash: 476
Flynn, Porter deserve their spots. I think, like godawful, guys in the A, like Larsson, Tropp, etc. will make Scott obsolete.

PlamsUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Between Porter and Scott, I'd actually rather have Scott. I don't think he's a mythological god, but teams like Boston played a more honest game against Buffalo than in years past. Scrums didn't turn into bully fests, top liners didn't get hacked away at with no concern for retaliation. Now if the overall team toughness can make up for not starting Scott then that's fine. Not sure we can be quite that tough though until Girgensons, Tropp, and McNabb can prove themselves and round out the roster.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:44 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyAreGoodScaryGood View Post
Flynn- yes
Porter- no
Porter is under contract next year. If he makes the team he is the 4th line center.

It depends on what they do with bringining 3rd/4th line guys this offseason.

Flynn should be in the final 23 man roster. I would like to see him play more with a play making center to truly evaluate what he has.

Scott---definite 13th/14th forward who will dress when enforcement is needed. This means Boston and Toronto games would be a near certainty.....Ottawa---depends on who dresses.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 10:11 PM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

It's not like this team is overstocked with talent...I could see all of them on the roster next year...Cheap contracts for all of them so that is a plus.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:30 AM
OkimLom

Porter should be first bottom 6 call up meaning if someone fromthe bottom 6 needs a replacement he should be the first choice.

Flynn would be a great compliment to Tropp playing on the 3rd line. Depending on roster moves, I think a 3rd line of Flynn-Ott-Tropp would be a solid checking line. Of course it depends on Tripp's leg and what kind shape he will be in.

OkimLom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:29 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Porter should be first bottom 6 call up meaning if someone fromthe bottom 6 needs a replacement he should be the first choice.

Flynn would be a great compliment to Tropp playing on the 3rd line. Depending on roster moves, I think a 3rd line of Flynn-Ott-Tropp would be a solid checking line. Of course it depends on Tripp's leg and what kind shape he will be in.
I could ****s with Flottropp. Not bad

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:54 PM
wyldthing89

I'm totally agree that Flynn is the best of the 3 but as far as i'm concern, i would love to see 4 elite centers but in this world, it won't happens. And since we lost Drury and Briere we never got decent 4th line center , most of the time, it was Ellis and Cody , Porter is a decent upgrade to what we used too recently.

Without Scott , at least vs team that can be nasty, who can really take care of talent players ??? Weber have a big heart but should stop fighting, Ott , no really, Kaleta vs players of his size ok he is good but the NHL this years got more fights average per game than i don't remember when and i think we need Scott around.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:39 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Flynn, Porter deserve their spots. I think, like godawful, guys in the A, like Larsson, Tropp, etc. will make Scott obsolete.
I don't see what Larsson, Tropp, etc have to do with Scott. Completely different players and roles. Scott played his role well, costs the team little and was a good team guy.

Not to mention keeping Scott takes a NHL roster spot away from one of the kids. Thats a good thing because it forces them to battle to get on the roster. I think part of the reason Foligno didn't have the same fire was due to being gifted the 2nd line LW spot. Make these kids EARN spots.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote