HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Currently picking 21st

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Dauphin fan, eh?
Yes. I like the combination of skills and intelligence. I'm also hoping we can get lucky with a top 6 centre from Quebec, kind of like Philly did with Claude Giroux or Boston did with Patrice Bergeron.

Old
05-09-2013, 05:47 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Much rather take Gauthier as a center from the Q, but that's because we severely lack good size down the middle.

Colborne is our only big C. Grabovski has absolutely proven much of his worth in these playoffs, and I look for him to return next season ready to step back up.

Ideally, i think Gauthier/Wennberg/Horvat/ are my center favourites, with Mantha/Rychel/Erne as my wing favourites.

As for D, it's Risto/Hagg at the top.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Much rather take Gauthier as a center from the Q, but that's because we severely lack good size down the middle.

Colborne is our only big C. Grabovski has absolutely proven much of his worth in these playoffs, and I look for him to return next season ready to step back up.

Ideally, i think Gauthier/Wennberg/Horvat/ are my center favourites, with Mantha/Rychel/Erne as my wing favourites.

The need for a "big centre" is overblown.

All the centres on Boston are shorter than 6'1 and under 200 pounds.

Old
05-09-2013, 07:51 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Gardiner View Post

And I want to push them around in the future.... Lol

Also, let me say that I also want Zach Fucale BAD if he's there. I don't think adding a potential franchise tender is out of the cards, or the worst idea, either.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:25 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
There are a bunch of players that I'd love the Leafs to take, but given what we saw tonight I badly want us to draft Ristolainen who has the potential to be the top pairing, right side D, who can play in all situations, that we're desperately looking for.

Phaneuf Ristolainen
Gardiner Gunnarson
Fraser Franson
Getting a RH dman capable of playing on the top line would be a huge add for the team. It takes pressure off Phaneuf to play the lion's share of minutes, and lets him play his game a little more (allowing him to rush a little more, make big hits etc). IT moves Gunnarsson down to the 2nd pairing to play with Gardiner and be the steadying influence for him, and then we have the third pairing of Fraser/Franson not getting overplayed in a position they aren't fit for.

RH'd dman are hard to find, so it's likely we're only going to be able to find one in the draft. Ristolainen is my top choice for that and I think he's going to be an impact player in this draft. Pulock is another option if he falls (I'm not sure he'll fall to where we pick).

Quote:
Assuming we pick 21st overall, here are my favourites:

1. Max Domi (C)
2. Alexander Wennberg (C)
3. Laurent Dauphin (C)
4. Curtis Lazar (C/W)
5. Bo Horvat (C)
Yay! Some more love for Dauphin. He's starting to gain some steam and get some lovin from people. Which is mildly unfortunate since we could have had him in the 2nd back around late January (which I really wanted). Now I'd almost suspect he'd go in the late first/early second and I'd bet heavily that Montreal takes him with either their first, or two high seconds (from Nashville/Calgary). Hell since they have two high seconds, I think they'd probably be open to taking a risk and maybe taking someone a little higher than expected.

As unfortunate as it is, I think Dauphin is destined to be a Canadien.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Interactif

Quote:

We need more substance at Center, really tired of hearing how Grabo is playing well, with zero results, don't know how a -5 and 1 assist this series is proving anything.

Krejci just produces, it's a results based game. That's the bottom line, Grabo will be moved this summer, pretty sure Nonis will do his best to address a bad contract. 4 games of effort doesn't rescue anyone from being a no show all year.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:31 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:

I suspect the Leafs will let Bozak go, move Kadri up to the top line (I suspect that him seeing time with Kessel at varying points is a big indication of this), have Grabovski take over the second line spot again, and have Colborne take over the third line duties, with McClement coaching him on the defensive side of things.

I'd be amenable to Gauthier. I'm an absolutely huge fan of Dauphin though, and I'm not a big fan of taking height for the sake of taking height (or because we need it). Dauphin is pushing up, and I'd be very tempted to grab him with our first.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:33 AM
SprDaVE

My favorite would be Max Domi with our current pick. Guy has been a great for London in the OHL playoffs and is a big time performer.

Don't think I'd mind someone like Lazar, Horvat or Gauthier though.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I haven't seen the offense from Horvat. Not sure what he's shown to warrant taking him that high. Wennberg sounds really interesting but I haven't heard that much about him. I'm a big fan of Rychel.
I don't think Wennberg will be available at our pick. I think he's going mid to early teens.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:46 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I suspect the Leafs will let Bozak go, move Kadri up to the top line (I suspect that him seeing time with Kessel at varying points is a big indication of this), have Grabovski take over the second line spot again, and have Colborne take over the third line duties, with McClement coaching him on the defensive side of things.

I'd be amenable to Gauthier. I'm an absolutely huge fan of Dauphin though, and I'm not a big fan of taking height for the sake of taking height (or because we need it). Dauphin is pushing up, and I'd be very tempted to grab him with our first.
I note his size, because his defensive prowess speaks for itself, at this point. He's got solid strength, and a very long reach. He competes, and his skating looks improved since the start of the year. He tailed off offensively toward the end of what was his longest season to date, but really showed well this year.

Scored the HUGE game winner in the U-18's, and was one of Canada's better forwards on the tournament.

Really think he could be a long term 2C option.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Interactif

From where we pick, hopefully one will slide. Pulock(doubt it), Domi(doubt it after his playoff), Hartman, Compher, or Bailey if we project.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
My favorite would be Max Domi with our current pick. Guy has been a great for London in the OHL playoffs and is a big time performer.

Don't think I'd mind someone like Lazar, Horvat or Gauthier though.
Domi really upped his stock this playoffs, he would make a fine Leaf if we are lucky to get him. +1.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:52 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

There's a lot of guys that I like in this draft, but in our range my favorite are Kerby Rychel and Frederik Gauthier. Either a big physical top 6 winger or a big monster 2nd/3rd line center.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:54 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
I note his size, because his defensive prowess speaks for itself, at this point. He's got solid strength, and a very long reach. He competes, and his skating looks improved since the start of the year. He tailed off offensively toward the end of what was his longest season to date, but really showed well this year.

Scored the HUGE game winner in the U-18's, and was one of Canada's better forwards on the tournament.

Really think he could be a long term 2C option.
I just keep seeing Colborne in him. That's probably not fair in any way to be honest, but I'm hesistant to take a big center like that. It's almost a lower probability of those types of big players reaching the big leagues in an impact manner, than it is for a small player.

But I haven't seen him much outside the U18, so my opinion on him shouldn't be held in any regard.

Maybe I'm just getting a little over bullish on a few players.

Old
05-09-2013, 08:59 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
There's a lot of guys that I like in this draft, but in our range my favorite are Kerby Rychel and Frederik Gauthier. Either a big physical top 6 winger or a big monster 2nd/3rd line center.
Two of my favourites.

Gauthier's play in the U-18 WC solidified it for me. Showed pretty much all you could want, with lots of room for growth in his game, while already showing a maturity beyond his years, with his composed, calculated play. Really a smart kid in all 3 zones, with a humble nature.

With Rychel, you get size, strength, scoring ability, emerging leadership qualities, and a guy who can slot in, if all goes well, on your second line, to add that physical scoring presence every team needs. Like Tyler Biggs, but more scoring, and less of the grind (while still throwing big hits and fighting).

Can't go wrong with either.

As I said before, Fucale would be an excellent addition as well.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:00 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I just keep seeing Colborne in him. That's probably not fair in any way to be honest, but I'm hesistant to take a big center like that. It's almost a lower probability of those types of big players reaching the big leagues in an impact manner, than it is for a small player.

But I haven't seen him much outside the U18, so my opinion on him shouldn't be held in any regard.

Maybe I'm just getting a little over bullish on a few players.
Colborne was drafted because of his offensive potential, which hasnt really panned out. Gauthier is being touted as a defensive guy more then a scorer, isnt he?

Old
05-09-2013, 09:02 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Colborne was drafted because of his offensive potential, which hasnt really panned out. Gauthier is being touted as a defensive guy more then a scorer, isnt he?
Thus far, yup. His defensive game is his trademark at this point, but he's shown ability as both a playmaker and scorer this year. Not elite offense by any means, but an emerging offensive game.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:03 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Thus far, yup. His defensive game is his trademark at this point, but he's shown ability as both a playmaker and scorer this year. Not elite offense by any means, but an emerging offensive game.
Ah ok, well that's good to hear. I don't really know much about him, so like I said, don't take my opinion for much haha.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

A big high-potential center, or a defensive D, or Fucale.

In fact, BPA is probably wisest.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:11 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

On pg.7 there is an EXCELLENT sample of Gauthier's work. PK monster, shot blocking, assists, goals, defense.

Really impressive video from only a few games.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
On pg.7 there is an EXCELLENT sample of Gauthier's work. PK monster, shot blocking, assists, goals, defense.

Really impressive video from only a few games.
He is probably the most NHL ready forward this year and can step into the lineup as early as next season.

Looks like a Martin Hanzal clone. He'll be able to play the PK, shut down opposing forward, and I think he can chip in on offense here and there.

Won't mind him but would definitely like someone with higher potential.

05-09-2013, 10:15 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
He is probably the most NHL ready forward this year and can step into the lineup as early as next season.

Looks like a Martin Hanzal clone. He'll be able to play the PK, shut down opposing forward, and I think he can chip in on offense here and there.

Won't mind him but would definitely like someone with higher potential.
I'm not sure his potential is all that low, though. I see a guy who definitely has the tools, but needs to add core strength to improve skating and his shot.

This coming year, we should see a good picture of his development, after acclimating to the CHL as a youngster this year.

Old
05-09-2013, 10:31 AM

Can anyone explain to me how the draft seeding works for playoff teams? Does it go by round?

Old
05-09-2013, 10:55 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

vCash: 50
Stays in order and the final 4 pick 27,28,29,30 in order of finish. 27 and 28 whoever had more points during reg season picks 28th.

Ex. If Chicago loses out before the final 4, they pick 26th.

Old
05-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHLfollower View Post
Two players I hope to avoid. Just don't see the high end potential in them, think people are enamoured with size right now.

Closed Thread