HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Currently picking 21st

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 10:47 AM
LV
TML forever

vCash: 50
Nicolas Petan doesn't get enough love here (size), scored 120 pts and plays center. He reminds me of Patrick Kane.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:18 AM
nuck
Flatfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Nicolas Petan doesn't get enough love here (size), scored 120 pts and plays center. He reminds me of Patrick Kane.
More like Whitney or Briere to me. Calgary takes him with one of their late 1sts. I like him anywhere after about 25.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:37 AM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Doesn't he have "steal" written all over him? Too bad the Leafs don't have an asset to move for a later 1st.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:26 PM
TMLife
Auston Matthews

Is this petan's first year of eligablilty?

Old
05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
LV
TML forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusForever View Post
Is this petan's first year of eligablilty?
Yeah, he's a '95.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
TMLife
Auston Matthews

Wow I'd love to scoop him up if size is his biggest problem. Eberle was smaller when drafted. Not saying he will grow, but we see the magic a player like eberle can bring. I'm all for petan if he's there when we pick.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:58 PM
LV
TML forever

Quote:
Wow I'd love to scoop him up if size is his biggest problem. Eberle was smaller when drafted. Not saying he will grow, but we see the magic a player like eberle can bring. I'm all for petan if he's there when we pick.
The biggest problem IMO, is seeing if he really is that good. You have to remember that he played on a stacked Portland Winterhawks team with players like Ty Rattie, Brendan Leipsic, Seth Jones, etc.

He seems legit, but he did have the advantage of playing on such a good team.

Old
05-05-2013, 02:29 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

Quote:
The biggest problem IMO, is seeing if he really is that good. You have to remember that he played on a stacked Portland Winterhawks team with players like Ty Rattie, Brendan Leipsic, Seth Jones, etc.

I see. Is he the next Angelo Esposito or not?

Old
05-05-2013, 03:24 PM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
From the THN Draft Preview (ranked 42):

"But two things hold Petan back from being called early: size and skating..."

I'll be livid if we use our first on him (not expecting it either), I'd gamble a 2nd on him though...

Old
05-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Horvat just had a sweet goal. Scored in 5 of the last 6 games now.

Side note R Rupert had a great chance right after the goal but couldn't bury it.

Old
05-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:

That works against Jones as well. Anyways, he played almost the entire season last year on the 4th line. It only makes sense to see far better numbers playing first line minutes with first line players. As far as his skating is concerned, he isn't a Kessel type of skater where his speed gets him a to b in a hurry. He is elusive however and far, far better on the defensive side.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
TheMadHatTrick

http://www.youtube.com/feed/UCUa62f0CIYXupbv1RVBDGYQ

Subscribe to bigwhite06's channel. The guy just keeps putting up excellent highlight vids.

Dillon Heatherington

Frederik Gauthier

Josh Morrisey

Nicholas Baptiste

Old
05-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Raptactics29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Horvat just had a sweet goal. Scored in 5 of the last 6 games now.

Side note R Rupert had a great chance right after the goal but couldn't bury it.
Whoever drafts Bo Horvat will be mighty happy they did. He's the type of player that any team would love to have. He's above average in all aspects of the game.. a coaches dream.

If the Leafs take Horvat he'll quickly be a fan favourite. I think he can make the NHL next season.. he's that good and that intelligent.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:29 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Man, I know there's no chance he falls to us, but Ristolainen would be a perfect add to our defensive core. He's a RD, he's big, mean, he can skate, has a booming shot, and he's just so smooth out there. IMO the second best defenceman in this draft. He would fit well with either Dion, Gardiner, or Reilly among our future top 4.

Old
05-05-2013, 10:34 PM
facelessjoe1990

fucale?

If we pick between 19-24 will zach fucale be available? What other teams would be interested in him?

Old
05-05-2013, 10:59 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
That works against Jones as well. Anyways, he played almost the entire season last year on the 4th line. It only makes sense to see far better numbers playing first line minutes with first line players. As far as his skating is concerned, he isn't a Kessel type of skater where his speed gets him a to b in a hurry. He is elusive however and far, far better on the defensive side.

my issue (and to be fair I havent seen him so I can't comment too much) is that he plays on a line with leipsec and rattie. i don't know if its him driving the kind, him benefitting or neither. I'd have a hard time taking him in the first (not a size bias either)

I wonder what scouts think of him compared to domi

Old
05-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Grant
LL Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
Whoever drafts Bo Horvat will be mighty happy they did. He's the type of player that any team would love to have. He's above average in all aspects of the game.. a coaches dream.

If the Leafs take Horvat he'll quickly be a fan favourite. I think he can make the NHL next season.. he's that good and that intelligent.
Don't really see #1 center in him, but I think he can be a premier #2 which I would be happy with drafting. But hey, if Kadri continues his development, #1 may not be a need.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:41 AM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
If we pick between 19-24 will zach fucale be available? What other teams would be interested in him?
It's always hard to say with goalies. I'd expect him to go somewhere in the second half of the first round. Just depends on how everyone's lists pan out. I think he could be there wherever we pick.

Old
05-06-2013, 03:35 AM
pooleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
tbh i really want fucale.. there are some nice forwards but having a stud goalie in the system could really help this franchise.... even though Reimer is looking like a stud cant have to many good goalies (unless u give one an albatross contract)

Old
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Sundinisagod
the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadHatTrick View Post
Man, I know there's no chance he falls to us, but Ristolainen would be a perfect add to our defensive core. He's a RD, he's big, mean, he can skate, has a booming shot, and he's just so smooth out there. IMO the second best defenceman in this draft. He would fit well with either Dion, Gardiner, or Reilly among our future top 4.

Yeah he'd be my #1 choice...

FWIW he's ranked 22 by THN Draft Preview. I don't believe he'll be there at 22, but maybe he falls to 15ish and we trade up for him? He's exactly what we need on our blueline going forward.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:19 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

I think the Oilers pick is in play.

New GM who wants to make moves to improve the team today.

Earlier they were looking for some home-town influence for Yakupov.

Kulemin playing opposite of Yakupov makes a lot of sense.

The New York Rangers are the most valuable NHL franchise at $1.2 billion, taking the top spot on the Forbes list for the first time since 2004.

The magazine said Tuesday that Montreal is second at $1.18 billion, followed by Toronto at $1.15 billion.
Old
05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
HeroNtF

I could see the leafs talking with edmonton, and would love that pick, but theyd be asking alot, and could potentially put us further back than we are now, in the short term... Agree kulemin and yak would make good line mates.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
my issue (and to be fair I havent seen him so I can't comment too much) is that he plays on a line with leipsec and rattie. i don't know if its him driving the kind, him benefitting or neither. I'd have a hard time taking him in the first (not a size bias either)

I wonder what scouts think of him compared to domi
In the games I watched, and it's only 4-5, it always seemed to be Leipsic controlling the flow, but probably by design. He's on a line with two great shots. It's hard to not pidgeonhole a small player like Petan, but as far as skill goes he is the most skilled on that line. Leipsic is the most gifted however. Reminds me of Gallagher without the cocky attitude. As far as Petan goes, there's been more than a couple times I saw Patrick Kane. That's not me saying he is like Kane, just the way he can work in close and not look pressured. He is a good skater, just not really fast. It would depend on who is available at our pick, but i think he goes early 2nd round anyway.

Compared to Domi? Slightly more skilled at individual aspects, but less instincts for the game, and that's a big drawback in that comparison. Domi should and will be a better player all things being equal

Old
05-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Gauthier to me at times looks like a more active joe colborne.

05-06-2013, 04:44 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I'm okay with Mirco I suppose, but I don't think he's the best player available when we pick. We'll likely be in the 20 range, and I see Mueller as more of a ~28th-33-ish or so pick. At this point I just hope BPA stands for best player available, not biggest player available. I'll be very upset if we pass on Lazar/Domi for Gauthier.
No chance Gauthier is still aboot when we pick. Domi may well be gone by 20 as well. Lazar is realistic at that spot & I like him though I've heard more people project him as a 3rd line centre than say a premier 2nd.

He seems like a real character player though, perhaps not unlike a Boone Jenner.

Then I watched an interview where his coach compared his intensity to Crosby's.

Last edited by HockeyNightInBelfast: 05-06-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Closed Thread