HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: Currently picking 21st

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
I think the Oilers pick is in play.

New GM who wants to make moves to improve the team today.

Earlier they were looking for some home-town influence for Yakupov.

Kulemin playing opposite of Yakupov makes a lot of sense.
Do you think Kulemin would be enough to nab that pick?

It's a 7th overall which wouldn't guarantee Monahan but could secure Lindholm.

No way Monahan slips past past Calgary though...is there?

Old
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Dalton View Post

The 30 goal Kulemin would have. The 30 point Kulemin, not even close, even with the Leafs pick thrown in. Back to back 7 goal seasons is not going to get you much.
For a top 10 pick in this draft is has to be a player that you don't want to give up, and who is having a solid year. I thinks its a given their pick is in play though.

Not sure it isn't the Flames fans and not the club that has a ***** for Monahan. They are bad everywhere and I am pretty certain they will look at BPA. I also don't think Monahan is consensus better than Lindholm. Really after the top three there could be some fluidity. There are three really good Euros that could go ahead of Monahan plus at least one D. Check out the difference in the CSS final rankings for 2012 and actual draft positions.

Player
1 Yakupov, Nail Right Wing Sarnia OHL (1)
2 Murray, Ryan Defenseman Everett WHL (2)
3 Grigorenko, Mikhail Center Quebec QMJHL (12)
4 Galchenyuk, Alex Center Sarnia OHL (3)
5 Rielly, Morgan Defenseman Moose Jaw WHL (5)
6 Ceci, Cody Defenseman Ottawa OHL (15)
7 Faksa, Radek Center Kitchener OHL (13)
8 Maatta, Olli Defenseman London OHL (22)
9 Trouba, Jacob Defenseman USA U-18 USHL (9)
10 Reinhart, Griffin Defenseman Edmonton WHL (4)
11 Dumba, Mathew Defenseman Red Deer WHL (7)
12 Pouliot, Derrick Defenseman Portland WHL (8)

Old
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
TheMadHatTrick

Quote:

If Monahan, Lindholm, or Ristolainen are available I would be extremely interested in that pick. Maybe Nurse too.

Old
05-06-2013, 08:04 PM
HockeyNightInBelfast
HockeyNightInBelfast

If we are planning to sign Clarkson as a UFA, perhaps the need to give up what it would take to acquire that Oilers pick is less of an issue.

We're not going to give up Franson after this past year...are we?

The Oil would love to pick him up but it would require more than just Franson for their first rounder.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:15 PM
The Winter Soldier

If The Leafs go for a boom prospect, I wouldn't be surprised if they may go for a guy that is overlooked for their size.

The obvious picks are Petan and Domi but don't discount American JT Compher. I like this kid, he's got a high hockey IQ and he was a former captain of Team USA under 18 team.

He could be there when we pick and I wouldn't be surprised if he is on our radar.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
If The Leafs go for a boom prospect, I wouldn't be surprised if they may go for a guy that is overlooked for their size.

The obvious picks are Petan and Domi but don't discount American JT Compher. I like this kid, he's got a high hockey IQ and he was a former captain of Team USA under 18 team.

He could be there when we pick and I wouldn't be surprised if he is on our radar.
I'd want Compher, but he isn't small. He's already 6' tall, thats practically the same size as Galchenyuk was last year and he was regarded as a "big centre". He was getting Kopitar comparisons last year at 6'0.5.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:44 PM
Johny Drama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptactics29 View Post
Whoever drafts Bo Horvat will be mighty happy they did. He's the type of player that any team would love to have. He's above average in all aspects of the game.. a coaches dream.

If the Leafs take Horvat he'll quickly be a fan favourite. I think he can make the NHL next season.. he's that good and that intelligent.
Any comparison between Horvat and Boone Jenner?

Old
05-07-2013, 02:59 PM
bigdirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Any comparison between Horvat and Boone Jenner?
Don't think he's as strong as Jenner, but few players are.

I'm a big fan of Horvat, I'd be pretty happy if we got him. Not a sexy pick, but we swung for the fences last year with Rielly, I'm fine with a safer pick this time around. Horvat is a great two-way guy, and someone who could learn a lot with Bozak to mentor him.

I'm also getting more and more interested in Morgan Klimchuk. Another one I've often heard described as a two-way player, but every time I watch him he looks like a goal-scorer who happens to be good in his own zone.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdirty View Post
Don't think he's as strong as Jenner, but few players are.

I'm a big fan of Horvat, I'd be pretty happy if we got him. Not a sexy pick, but we swung for the fences last year with Rielly, I'm fine with a safer pick this time around. Horvat is a great two-way guy, and someone who could learn a lot with Bozak to mentor him.

I'm also getting more and more interested in Morgan Klimchuk. Another one I've often heard described as a two-way player, but every time I watch him he looks like a goal-scorer who happens to be good in his own zone.
Horvat is gone when we pick. He'll be a very good 2nd line centre, similar to Jenner. Maybe has more in the way of finesse than Jenner, and is a better penalty killer. I would say Horvat will be the better defensive player while possessing the same offensive abilities as Jenner. Maybe O'Reilly is a good comparable for Horvat. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this guy go at 7-10.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:18 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Horvat is gone when we pick. He'll be a very good 2nd line centre, similar to Jenner. Maybe has more in the way of finesse than Jenner, and is a better penalty killer. I would say Horvat will be the better defensive player while possessing the same offensive abilities as Jenner. Maybe O'Reilly is a good comparable for Horvat. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this guy go at 7-10.
I think you're right about him being gone when we pick. He's one of those guys that is sort of unheralded a little and maybe a bit foreshadowed relative to the draft, but he's liked by so many scouts and seen as sort of a great pick, that he's going to go pretty early. He'll be a fantastic player, has good upside too, but is a safer pick than most. I'd say teens is where he's taken for sure but I wouldn't be surprised to see someone take him where you said at 7-10.

ROR is a pretty interesting comparison. I think that fits well.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:23 PM
facelessjoe1990

domi or fucale?

if we were to pick domi when would he be able to play in the NHL?

If we were to pick fucale when would he be able to play?

If they were both there when we pick who should we take?

Old
05-07-2013, 03:24 PM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

The first is very convulted around where I expect we will pick. A guy could fall, someone could rise, but in the end I'm fairly certain we'll get a strong player. I'm not really looking for a true safe pick (meaning a guy like Horvat would be a-ok in my books but I don't expect him to be there. I agree with BBurke on that). I want a high upside guy, preferably a forward over any other position. I want very little to do with a goalie to be honest but that's personal preference. There are a lot of guys I'd be very happy with. Morgan Klimchuk is definitely one of them.

I very badly want Lucas Wallmark with one of our non-first round picks. Barely makes the age cutoff, is a center, had a great showing in the U18 tourney and put up very good numbers in a shortened Allsvenskan. Smart traditional Swedish two-way forward who potentially has some offensive upside.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:28 PM
bigdirty

Depending on who you listen to, there's probably about 20 players who could be taken in the 7-10 range. Some of them are going to be available when we pick, and if past drafts have taught us anything, it's that the draft never happens the way we expect.

I don't think Horvat is available when we pick either, but there will almost certainly be players available that will surprise everyone, right now I don't think there's more than seven or eight players who are truly guaranteed to be gone.

So I'm not really expecting Horvat to be available, but I am expecting to be surprised that someone fell to us, and Horvat is one possibility.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:40 PM
TMLife
Auston Matthews

Mackinnon
Drouin
Barkov
Jones
Monahan
Lindholm
Nichuskin
Nurse
Zadorov
Ristolainen
Shinkaruk
Are basically locks to be gone before we pick. Anyone else I think we chance at snagging.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Domi seems to be the straw that stirs the drink thus I expect him to be go e well b4 we get to draft

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 05-07-2013 at 04:20 PM.
Old
05-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
The first is very convulted around where I expect we will pick. A guy could fall, someone could rise, but in the end I'm fairly certain we'll get a strong player. I'm not really looking for a true safe pick (meaning a guy like Horvat would be a-ok in my books but I don't expect him to be there. I agree with BBurke on that). I want a high upside guy, preferably a forward over any other position. I want very little to do with a goalie to be honest but that's personal preference. There are a lot of guys I'd be very happy with. Morgan Klimchuk is definitely one of them.

I very badly want Lucas Wallmark with one of our non-first round picks. Barely makes the age cutoff, is a center, had a great showing in the U18 tourney and put up very good numbers in a shortened Allsvenskan. Smart traditional Swedish two-way forward who potentially has some offensive upside.
Would love this pick. Honestly, using our 1st or 2nd on him would not be out of line.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

I very badly want Bo Horvat, future Mike Richards. Would be great behind Kadri.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:28 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Artturi Lehkonen is right up there with Cammaratta, as two of the most skilled players in the draft. Size is the hinderance (so they say) for both of these guys. I would love to have either of them in our system

Old
05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

My 1st round Mock

Colorado: Seth Jones (Almost consensus BPA + Deep at forward)

Florida: Nathan Mackinnon (Superstar potential + Great piece beside Huberdeau)

Tampa: Jonathan Drouin (Highly intelligent and skilled, great MSL replacement)

Nashville: Darnell Nurse (Could use Barkov, but have had success with dman, and are hurting after the loss of Suter)

Carolina: Aleksander Barkov (They jump at picking him, surprised he got past Nashville)

Calgary: Hunter Shinkaruk (Shocks everyone, but Calgary has loved drafting from the Dub and continues to do so with this pick)

Edmonton: Sean Monahan (Pass up on a dman yet again and a more skilled forward in Lindholm)

Buffalo: Valeri Nischuskin (Little bit of a fall, but Buffalo takes a "risky" Russian player two years in a row)

New Jersey: Elias Lindholm (Ecstatic they get a massive steal at the 9 spot)

Dallas: Alexander Wennberg (Small reach based on lack of forward depth in the system)

Philadelphia: Nikita Zadorov (Pas up on Ristolainen for a bigger and meaner dman)

Phoenix: Rasmus Ristolainen (Grab the second best dman in the draft imo)

Winnipeg: Ryan Pulock (Despite tonnes of RHD talent, they pick the BPA in their mind)

Columbus: Valentin Zykov (Similar to Semin, easy pick in Columbus' eyes)

Old
05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
nuck
Flatfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1990 View Post
if we were to pick domi when would he be able to play in the NHL?

If we were to pick fucale when would he be able to play?

If they were both there when we pick who should we take?
It comes down to drafting philosophy. I don't believe you need to use first round picks for goalies, but some do. Right now Reimer looks better than Price, and a whole bunch of other high choices, but if they think Fucale could be elite I doubt they would hesitate, especially picking 20+. I like Reimer/Scrivens/Owuya/Sparks and keep in mind they may yet add a veteran.

I would take Domi of the two, and IMHO he could be nhl ready earlier. More meat on his bones than Kadri and two full years of Junior elligibility. There are guys I like more but either one of the above is highly enough regarded they are strong picks in the 20s.

Old
05-07-2013, 06:35 PM
HeroNtF

Am I wrong or is this gauthiers first year in the chl ? Would love to see him drop down to us. Size and skill players ! I still like the biggs pick, just not the price we paid haha.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:03 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroNtF View Post
Am I wrong or is this gauthiers first year in the chl ? Would love to see him drop down to us. Size and skill players ! I still like the biggs pick, just not the price we paid haha.
It was his first year, yup.

Gauthier has better potential than Biggs does. Different animals.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:07 PM
tooncesmeow

Quote:

Kulemin+1st+

might do it.

Old
05-07-2013, 07:38 PM
67Cup

I think the main thing I hope for re the draft is for flexibility. I hope the Leafs don't go into the draft so fixated on a target that they can't or won't adjust for a player who unexpectedly falls to them

I've been trying to follow the draft since the 70's and I think the most irritated I ever got was the year they fixed their sights on the forgettable Jeff Ware and passed on Petr Sykora who had fallen unexpectedly. Of course, he was snapped up by the Devils shortly thereafter and became a very useful NHLer, playing more than a thousand games in the Show. Ware was a big blueliner who looked great circling the ice in warmup but never actually did very much on the ice. He should have been a second rounder at best but his father was a buddy of Bill Waters and other Leaf execs. The Leafs focused on him and lost a player who could have helped them for years. Especially in a year like this, when ratings seem to be all over the place beyond the top 5-10, someone will very likely slip. I hope the Leafs will be able to take advantage of the situation.

Last edited by 67Cup: 05-07-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old
05-07-2013, 07:52 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
I'd want Compher, but he isn't small. He's already 6' tall, thats practically the same size as Galchenyuk was last year and he was regarded as a "big centre". He was getting Kopitar comparisons last year at 6'0.5.
He's similar to Kadri in size, what is he 6'0 and only 163lbs? regardless he needs to put on a good 20 lbs.

I heard him compared to a lesser Ryan Kesler. If this is the case he could be a good one, plays with an edge, is a leader, and has excellent skills. Smart player too that won't be beaten by bad decisions on the ice, could be a nice #2C down the road.

Closed Thread