HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

All Purpose "Next Head Coach" Thread l ALL Head Coach Discussion Here!

View Poll Results: Who coaches the Avs next season?
Patrick Roy 68 37.36%
Lindy Ruff 12 6.59%
Army 3 1.65%
Quinn 19 10.44%
Other 27 14.84%
Sacco (God help us all) 29 15.93%
Pepsi Center Janitor who always watches games with big dreams 24 13.19%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2013, 09:09 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

vCash: 500
I don't see many realistic options with the way the Avs do business. Roy then Quinn then Chynoweth then Army.... out of those Roy is the only one I would want coaching this team.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Guy Boucher is someone I'd like the avs to hire. I want to see a team with a defensive game plan for a change. Don't care if its boring. I want wins!

Old
03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

McKenzie reporting that Jon Cooper is currently running practice for the Syracuse Crunch, the Bolts' AHL affiliate.

Geez, that didn't take long.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
McKenzie reporting that Jon Cooper is currently running practice for the Syracuse Crunch, the Bolts' AHL affiliate.

Geez, that didn't take long.
Did I miss something?

Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Did I miss something?
Nah... sounds like Ruff is target #1 for the Bolts. I'm sure if he turns it down, then Cooper will get the job.

Old
03-25-2013, 10:22 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Did I miss something?
Good question... Maybe that they are still considering all candidates and Cooper isn't locked down as the TBL head coach yet?

Old
03-25-2013, 10:30 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
It sounds like Boucher lost the room (MSL yapping at him on the bench lately and so on) and that's why Yzerman would want a NHL experienced coach over another unexperienced coach.

I think if Cooper was the plan, he would have been announced already.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

It doesn't make sense for Cooper to be running drills for the Crunch if something wasn't up. Why would Cooper suddenly run drills for the Crunch when he's busy coaching the Admirals?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Appleanche

Cooper may be the best pick because we're a young team as it is.. but that being said I'd sort of like to see an established coach as well.

I feel like next season is crunch time, a lot of guys are up for new contracts that are going to get a sizable raise like Varlamov and Landeskog.

Cap space is going to erode away as we have to pay up to keep the young talent we have, and we won't be able to really build around that core without cap space.

I mean right now this team needs a lot, it needs a real #1/#2 LWer because McGinn isn't it flourishing in that spot (14p -11, compared to Duchene and PAP that's just awful).

They need to get a right winger, and honestly let's face it buy out Jones.

Obviously we need to add a real #1 guy, preferably with some offensive flair because I think it's time to give up on EJ ever being a PP guy. We also really need a good #3/4 guy.. that's probably about 8m right there.

If the Avs fail to make the playoffs next year and there isn't a complete house clearing of management from PL to Sherman I may just say **** it and stop watching all together. It's one thing to have a bad team, it's another to deal with ownership doesn't give a rat's ass.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:09 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
It doesn't make sense for Cooper to be running drills for the Crunch if something wasn't up. Why would Cooper suddenly run drills for the Crunch when he's busy coaching the Admirals?
I think it's probably McKenzie getting it wrong. He did write "the bolts AHL affiliate" so he probably meant the Admirals.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:14 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL View Post
Guy Boucher is someone I'd like the avs to hire. I want to see a team with a defensive game plan for a change. Don't care if its boring. I want wins!
What? Boucher's downfall in Tampa was not being able to have a proper defensive system, therefore having his mediocre goaltending exposed. He would be a good fit for our speed and offensive players but I want a guy with more structure.

I think Ruff would be an ok fit. I actually just want someone with years and years of experience at a pro level.

Still don't think Roy is the guy, even though I would support it if it happened just for nostalgia's sake.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Because the Crunch are their AHL affiliate, they split with the Admirals after winning the Calder.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:20 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Because the Crunch are their AHL affiliate, they split with the Admirals after winning the Calder.
And Cooper went with that. He is coaching Syracuse this season. What Bobby Mac was saying is that nothing has changed with Cooper yet, meaning the Bolts are after somebody else first.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
Why do so many of you want to get rid of the best coach in the NHL?

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
03-25-2013, 11:26 AM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
Cooper,Eakins or Horacek. Quinn hasn't been in the NHL long enough, they just can't keep Sacco, it's not possible after this latest debacle and Ruff while a great coach isn't what we need right now.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:28 AM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Why do so many of you want to get rid of the best coach in the NHL?
It's not fair to Sacco to have his brilliance dimmed by being forced to coach this dark, dismal team.

03-25-2013, 11:31 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I only want Guy Boucher as assist coach for the forwards, but Tim Army has done a really nice job with them (always helping them in practice, always talking to them on the bench) so I think he deserves to stay. On the other hand I have been very disappointed with Quinn and the defense structure.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think it's probably McKenzie getting it wrong. He did write "the bolts AHL affiliate" so he probably meant the Admirals.
No, he wrote "Syracuse Crunch," not "the bolts AHL affiliate." Why would he report that Cooper was running practice for the Admirals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I don't get what you're saying here. Cooper is the head coach of the Norfolk Admirals, the Ducks' affiliate. He's currently running practice for the Crunch. That's not news?

Old
03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
No, he wrote "Syracuse Crunch," not "the bolts AHL affiliate." Why would he report that Cooper was running practice for the Admirals?

I don't get what you're saying here. Cooper is the head coach of the Norfolk Admirals, the Ducks' affiliate. He's currently running practice for the Crunch. That's not news?
Cooper is coaching the Crunch. Trent Yawney is the coach of the Admirals.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:34 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I only want Guy Boucher as assist coach for the forwards, but Tim Army has done a really nice job with them (always helping them in practice, always talking to them on the bench) so I think he deserves to stay. On the other hand I have been very disappointed with Quinn and the defense structure.
Agreed. Part of it is the pure garbage Quinn has been handed though. No one is going to make Greg Zanon an NHL player, because he isn't one, and hasn't been one for over a year at least. Barrie played well during his time with the Avs, and part of the credit for his transition should go to Quinn. I'm guessing it shouldn't go to Sacco since he apparently couldn't wait to get rid of the kid.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Cooper is coaching the Crunch. Trent Yawney is the coach of the Admirals.
WTF!? I swear I looked at the Norfolk Admirals website not two weeks ago and Jon Cooper was listed as their head coach. ****ing cheap ass AHL websites.

Never mind then.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:40 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I won't judge Quinn until I see what he's capable off, as for Ruff please stay away from him.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
WTF!? I swear I looked at the Norfolk Admirals website not two weeks ago and Jon Cooper was listed as their head coach. ****ing cheap ass AHL websites.

Never mind then.
Norfolk was Tampa's affiliate last year. They switched to Syracuse this year. I got confused by it too.

Old
03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Quinn designed our comeback goal that one game I can't remember off the top of my head. While I'm not thrilled he would be promoted, it's clear to me he has the edge and is the new guy if we stick to past precedence.

I don't want Boucher, Ruff or any of the recently relieved coaches. I'd be ok with John Anderson out of Phoenix, Jon Cooper, Dallas Eakins... possibly even Roy if we had to pick someone that's part of the family.

Old
03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

vCash: 531
i don't know, i just get the feeling Roy is more interested in running a franchise than coaching it.

Closed Thread