HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

BC Political Debate

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Free Kassian

vCash: 500
Dix and Cummins clearly just want to waste some money. Liberals could run Ted Bundy in Kelowna and still win.

Old
06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Dix and Cummins clearly just want to waste some money. Liberals could run Ted Bundy in Kelowna and still win.
And beyond the issue of money as BC NDP MLA and caucus chair Shane Simpson said the election is over and Premier Clark should be allowed to get on with the job of governing.
“It is my view that she’s won a government and she is the premier and she needs to be in the legislature,” he said in an interview.

“I think this is a bit unique because we’ve just had an election where she won a mandate,” he added.

“She is the premier and there needs to be some respect for that if you respect the process.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Chr...#ixzz2W1eWw0cw

It appears Dix and Cummins do not respect the process.

Old
06-13-2013, 02:04 PM
Wetcoaster

Premiers Clark and Redford have scheduled round two of their Oil Pipeline Cage Match for Friday in Kelowna, BC.
Premier Christy Clark and Alberta Premier Alison Redford will meet Friday in Kelowna and oil is expected to be on the agenda.

The two premiers met last fall in Alberta in what was described as a frosty gathering during which Clark and Redford expressed their differences over plans by Calgary-based Enbridge to build the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline from northern Alberta to northwest B.C.

Clark said the project must meet B.C.’s five conditions to get any chance of B.C.’s approval, while Redford suggested Clark was interested in getting a larger share of the profits at Alberta’s expense.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/bc/C...#ixzz2W7mzZzGG

Old
06-13-2013, 03:05 PM
Wetcoaster

Some more gazing at the chicken entrails to determine why in spite of all the polls and pundits forecasting a BC NDP coronation as a majority government, the BC Liberals under Premier Christy swept to power.

According to this column by Province political columnist Michael Smyth, the electorate wanted change but they simply did not trust the BC NDP to manage the BC economy based on post-election poll results.

And who was most responsible for that perception? Premier Clark ran a masterful campaign focused on resource development, jobs and the economy but thank Adrian Dix for his mid-campaign about face on the Kinder Morgan pipeline that played right into the BC Liberal campaign message.

And according to Smyth he expects Dix to take it in the neck for his poorly run campaign and disastrous "fox pass" on the Kinder Morgan pipeline.
If there was one thing that gave New Democrats confidence that they would win last month's election, it was the public's apparent desire for change in Victoria.

Poll after pre-election poll showed people in an ornery mood, with most voters agreeing with the statement that it was "time for a change of government."

We all know now how the story ended. Why did voters defy the pollsters and pundits and re-elect the Liberals?

Pollster Greg Lyle says his postelection surveys show voters did indeed want change — but didn't want it badly enough to take a chance on Adrian Dix and the NDP.

In a new survey, Lyle's Innovative Research Group concluded "time-for-a-change" voters actually formed the foundation of the Liberals' upset victory.

"The Liberals won just over half of this group (52 per cent) and they provided 25 per cent of the Liberal votes on election day," the pollster concluded.

Why did voters who wanted change stick with the governing party? Because they "were more afraid of the NDP than the Liberals," the survey said.

Asked to list the "most important factor" in deciding their vote, Liberal voters answered in this order: "Against NDP" (32 per cent) and "the economy" (26 per cent).

Close to half of all voters agreed with the statement: "The NDP just can't be trusted to run B.C.'s economy."
Who should replace Dix? The survey placed NDP MLA Mike Farnworth as the top choice, followed closely by Vancouver Mayor Gregor Robertson.

The results are burning along the NDP grapevine, reinforcing my personal belief that another desire for change has taken hold — and that Dix won't last through the fall.
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vote...#ixzz2W7xYkAmg

Here is a link to that survey:
http://www.innovativeresearch.ca/sit...13_Summary.pdf

And Mike Smyth's counterpart at the Vancouver Sun, political columnist Vaughn Palmer also lays the defeat squarely at the feet of Adrian Dix as explained by long time BC NDP MLA Harry Lalli (now defeated) who was a fervent Glen Clark supporter and an Adrian Dix loyalist.

This is set out in Palmer's column titled "Dix’s Kinder Morgan surprise turned blue-collar vote in heartland against NDP".
As to why that happened, the most plausible explanation comes from Lali himself, one of the longest serving NDP members in the past two decades.

“The real kicker was Kinder Morgan,” Lali told The Vancouver Sun’s Jonathan Fowlie in a recent interview in the provincial capital where he’d come to clean out his desk. “When the announcement about the Kinder Morgan pipeline was made, it basically decimated Interior and northern B.C. for us — rural B.C., basically.”

The reference being to party leader Adrian Dix’s mid-campaign change of position on the proposed twinning of the existing heavy oil pipeline between Alberta and Burnaby.

On the eve of the campaign he was still saying that as a “matter of principle” the NDP would not take a stand one way or another until the developer submitted a formal application for the project. Then in the second week, Dix, without prior consultation with his own MLAs, came out against the pipeline in an apparent bid to shore up support with urban, Green-leaning voters.

However much support the NDP gained in those quarters, Dix confirmed the worst suspicions of another segment of the electorate, according to Lali.

“You can’t be against (Enbridge’s) Northern Gateway, you can’t be against Site C, you can’t be against Kinder Morgan and all of that because the message from the blue-collar worker is: ‘Those are my jobs. I’m in construction, I need that job.’ The blue-collar worker virtually abandoned the NDP in this election, mostly by staying at home.”

His analysis is substantiated by results across the north and Interior.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Vau...#ixzz2W81Il7vE

And this schism in the BC NDP between the environmentalists (and the public sector unions) and the blue collar unions is likely to become more exacerbated and that is something that the BC Liberals will be counting on along with a continuing ability to prevent its coalition from breaking down as was accomplished by Premier Clark in neutralizing the BC Conservative party under John Cummins in the last election.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Wetcoaster

The BC legislature returns to business on June 26 and the budget will be re-introduced.

Premier Clark will not be in the House as she is currently running in a by-election scheduled for July 10.
British Columbia's politicians are returning to the legislature in two weeks to introduce and pass an updated budget.

Finance Minister Mike de Jong says the legislature will resume sitting on June 26, and the government's budget that includes updated financial numbers will be introduced the following day.

The legislative session is scheduled to last for one month, adjourning on July 25.

De Jong says the budget includes updated financial numbers that reflect the province's financial performance since the government introduced its budget in February.

The February budget forecast a surplus of $197 million.

De Jong says the updated budget will reveal that the government is on target to meet its February budget forecast, with some revenues rising and others dropping and some asset sales progressing.
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/leg...#ixzz2W9vF88ti

Old
06-14-2013, 03:06 AM
Dado

vCash:
The last good analysis of the polls that I saw showed the polls were actually quite close to the final results if you heavily weighted the 55+ polling results. The data for demographic turnout is available (ElectionsBC knows exactly who voted and who didn't) but I haven't yet seen a votes-by-age breakout.

Old
06-14-2013, 02:23 PM
Wetcoaster

BC Liberal MLA Bill Bennett (not the former Socred Premier BTW) is the cabinet minister in charge of Premier Christy Clark’s core review of provincial government operations and services and he has been given his marching orders. The instructions are in keeping with the campaign messages of of cost containment and balanced budgets which the BC voters apparently preferred over the BC NDP message of spend and tax.

Premier Christy's a letter of instruction to minister-in-charge-of-the-review Bill Bennett, setting out his mandate this week says:

“The goal of the core review is simple: free up as many resources in government as possible to redeploy to our core objectives as government or provide flexibility to the minister of finance as he manages the provincial books.”

“This work is necessary in order to control government spending and ensure we are in the best financial position possible to deliver balanced budgets for the people of our province.”

“Develop a core review and present to planning and priorities (the key cabinet committee) by Aug. 30. Provide core review updates to cabinet on a monthly basis. Complete the process by Dec. 31, 2014.”

And Bennett is being encouraged to take a broad brush approach to his mandate - that he “also consider regulatory reform and other de-regulation options that are presented.”

Also he should call on expertise in other ministries to assist him such as from Finance Minister Mike de Jong, whose mandate letter from the premier directs him to “identify members of your ministry to form a team for (Minister Bennett) in his effort to identify resources that can be released for other priorities.”

Old
06-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Wetcoaster

In advance of today's meeting with Alberta Premier Allison Redford in Kelowna (just incidentally the location of the by-election in which Premier Clark will be running so she can win a seat) she is ratcheting down past rhetoric.
British Columbia Premier Christy Clark is sounding a conciliatory note as she heads into a meeting with her Alberta counterpart Friday.

Clark and Alison Redford will meet for an hour in Kelowna before both leaders attend the annual Western Premiers Conference in Winnipeg.

Just last fall, Clark described a meeting with Redford over the proposed Northern Gateway pipeline project as frosty.

At the time, Clark set five environmental-focused conditions the project had to meet to win B.C. approval and Redford suggested Clark was interested in getting a larger share of the profits at Alberta's expense.

Last month, the B.C. government officially declared its opposition to the project, telling the federal review panel the project should not go ahead as planned.

But Clark says both provinces have a long-standing and healthy relationship, are doing more than any other provinces to build the national economy, and she believes a sense of co-operation is developing.

"I think the fact that we're meeting is the first proof of that, the fact that she's accepted my invitation to come to British Columbia, to beautiful Kelowna to meet.

"So I think that's a very, very good first step. I'm optimistic about the future. And as I said, I don't think you can find agreement in the areas you disagree unless you talk."
http://www.theprovince.com/news/Chri...#ixzz2WDjdmB2v

And here they are strolling along the lakeshore today in Kelowna:

And saying all the right things of course.
Meeting on areas of common interest on economic growth and job creation, British Columbia Premier Christy Clark and Alberta Premier Alison Redford agreed to work together for the benefit of British Columbians and Albertans.

"Both Alberta and British Columbia benefit when we work together to grow the economy and create jobs," said Premier Clark. "As the economic powerhouses of Canada, it's in the national interest for us to succeed."

"Today marks a step forward for both of our provinces," said Premier Redford. "We have a shared interest in responsible resource development. When Alberta and British Columbia do well, all of Canada does well."

At the first meeting since the re-election of Premier Clark's government, the two Premiers agreed on the need for responsible energy development in both provinces.

The Premiers also committed to work together in upcoming meetings at the Western Premiers' Conference and the Council of the Federation to make sure opportunities such as skills training and immigration policies fully address the needs of both provinces, and their growing economies.
http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2013/0...ting-jobs.html

Old
06-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Johnny LaRue

For the record, I am living up to my promise to leave BC. I now have a job waiting for me in Japan. Take that Christie Clark.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:08 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

^ lucky.

I would like to do the same (minus Japan) but I am only 20 with relatively little money. Plus my whole life (lease, car, family) is here. And I don't have many indemand skills.

Old
06-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
For the record, I am living up to my promise to leave BC. I now have a job waiting for me in Japan. Take that Christie Clark.
And if the BC NDP would have won as expected you would have remained in BC?

Old
06-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Not going to speak for Johnny, but BC is a lousy place to be if you're a young, educated, skilled worker. Particularly the Lower Mainland. There's still a fairly large disconnect between cost of living and the salaries/wages offered by companies here.

Old
06-14-2013, 05:30 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Not going to speak for Johnny, but BC is a lousy place to be if you're a young, educated, skilled worker. Particularly the Lower Mainland. There's still a fairly large disconnect between cost of living and the salaries/wages offered by companies here.
And electing the BC NDP would have corrected that disconnect?

Old
06-14-2013, 05:31 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
And electing the BC NDP would have corrected that disconnect?
Probably would have made it worse in a lot of respects.

Old
06-14-2013, 05:51 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Probably would have made it worse in a lot of respects.
That was the point I was making indirectly in my initial response to the statement that he had decided to move to Japan.

Old
06-15-2013, 02:39 AM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Seriously? No. I am taking a year off of work to do the Jet programme. It's not great money, but I'll get to live in Japan!

I'll have to hide my Korean soccer jersey.

Sorry, I know this has no bearing on anything, but I'm just so excited.

Old
06-15-2013, 03:01 AM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Seriously? No. I am taking a year off of work to do the Jet programme. It's not great money, but I'll get to live in Japan!

Congratulations on your new gig. Best of luck in Japan.

Old
06-15-2013, 05:30 AM
Johnny LaRue

Thank-you. I will be too much fun.

Old
06-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Vyacheslav
Pro

Send a message via AIM to Vyacheslav
Quote:

That sounds pretty awesome man, congrats

Old
06-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Wetcoaster

RIP - Former BC Lieutenant-governor and Attorney-general Garde Gardom has died. He was 89.

I knew him quite well and he was a true gentleman who served BC with distinction in a variety of capacities.
Premier’s Statement on passing of Garde Gardom

VICTORIA – Premier Christy Clark issued the following statement today on the passing of The Honourable Garde Basil Gardom, the 26th Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia.

“Garde Gardom led a life all British Columbians can be proud of and want to aspire to. He embraced life, challenges and opportunity with equal gusto.

“As an MLA, cabinet minister, British Columbia's agent in London or the Queen's representative in British Columbia, Garde possessed a unique gift: the ability to draw people to him because they understood his dedication to public service was based on a true love of making life better for those he served.

“His CounterAttack against Drinking and Driving initiative saved countless lives throughout B.C.

“An iconoclast, Garde was an inspiration to a generation of those serving the public. His irreverent spirit ensured British Columbians never felt isolated, but rather an integral part of the process.

“His legacy to all who follow in his footsteps is simple: always enjoy the job of serving the public, because it’s a privilege, and you can make a difference.

“For 45 years, his family shared Garde with us and British Columbia is a richer place because of that. We remain in their debt. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.”

For those wishing to sign a condolence book, you can do so in three ways:

Online at www.protocol.gov.bc.ca

Or in person at Government House, 1401 Rockland Ave, Victoria or Christ Church Cathedral, 690 Burrard St, Vancouver

Flags at all government buildings will fly at half-mast from today till the funeral service.
More details of his personal life and career:
BACKGROUNDER
For Immediate Release
2013PREM0070-000986
June 19, 2013
Office of the Premier

Garde Basil Gardom, Q.C., O.B.C.

The Honourable Garde Basil Gardom was born in Banff, Alberta on July 17, 1924. He attended school in Banff; Dewdney B.C.; Point Grey Junior High School, and Magee High School in Vancouver, and gained his BA and LLB degrees at the University of British Columbia. He pursued his career in Vancouver as a barrister and solicitor, and was elected to the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia in the constituency of Vancouver-Point Grey in the general elections of 1966, 1969, 1972, 1975, 1978, and 1983.

On Dec. 22, 1975, Mr. Gardom joined the Cabinet of British Columbia as Attorney General and Government House Leader — ultimately becoming the Province’s longest-serving Government House Leader. In 1979 he became British Columbia’s first Minister of Intergovernmental Relations, was Chairman of the Legislative Committee, Member of Treasury Board, Planning and Priorities Committee, Social Services Committee, Constitution Committee, Legislative Rules Committee and Director of the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.

Mr. Gardom was an outspoken advocate for public accountability and participated in a number of legislative measures including the Ombudsman, Auditor General, Right to Sue the Crown, Expropriation, Criminal Injuries Compensation and Family Relations Statutes, the inception of Hansard, a broadened Legislative Committee system and the televising of debates.

He initiated CounterAttack against Drinking and Driving in 1978, promoted processes for the peaceful resolution of Doukhobor issues and spearheaded British Columbia’s position during the Constitutional negotiations leading to the patriation of the Canadian Constitution from the U.K. in 1982.

In 1985, he became responsible for the Official Visits Program for EXPO '86, and was host to dignitaries from all over the world.

In 1987, after retiring from politics, Mr. Gardom was appointed Agent-General for British Columbia in the United Kingdom and Europe, based in London, where he proudly represented British Columbia in the U.K. and many European countries, until 1992.

Mr. Gardom was sworn-in on April 21st, 1995, as British Columbia’s 26th Lieutenant-Governor. During his term as Lieutenant Governor he was appointed the Honorary Colonel of The British Columbia Regiment (Duke of Connaught’s Own), a Primary Reserve unit of the Canadian Forces.

Mr. Gardom married Miss Helen Eileen Mackenzie in 1956 and this union produced a family of five children and eleven grandchildren.
http://www2.news.gov.bc.ca/news_rele...070-000986.htm

Old
06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Wetcoaster

Premier Clark has rescinded the pay raises previously announced to top political staffers.
Premier Christy Clark says approving pay hikes for her top political staff just days after her election win last month was a mistake and she’s ordered the raises rescinded.

Clark said Wednesday the pay increases sent the wrong message to British Columbians who heard during the recent election campaign that the Liberals want to rein in government spending and balance the budget.
http://www.theprovince.com/business/...#ixzz2WiDNEwvg

Old
06-20-2013, 12:49 AM
Free Kassian

Weather vane. You know what would have been great, Christy? Not giving those raises in the first place.

Old
06-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Wetcoaster

Interesting opinion column from Barbara Yaffe of the Vancouver Sun on the Enbridge pipeline proposal to move Alberta heavy oil to the coast for transport by tanker to Asian markets.

As Yaffe points out Enbridge seems completely tone deaf as to the concerns of British Columbians who are less focused on economics of that venture (being as it will be Alberta reaping the bulk of the economic benefits) and more focused on environmental risks.

And it is only at the 11th hour that the company seems to have realized that the sales pitch is falling on deaf ears here in BC and they began to scramble to put forward a spill disaster fund and belatedly acknowledge that the First Nations have to be part of the process - unlike Alberta BC still does not have binding treaties with bands whose land will be affected by the Gateway pipeline.

While the feds could even overrule a negative recommendation from the review panel and build the pipeline as Yaffe notes that is highly unlikely since the CPC needs the seats in BC that it holds and in any event BC could withhold the necessary permits. In Alberta they will vote CPC regardless of the Gateway decision.

If Enbridge wants to build the pipeline then they had best comprehend Premier Clark's famous five conditions as set out in July 2012 and as she noted BC has its own natural gas pipeline to build and to which she is committed "100%". here is her statement released July 12, 2012:
"Earlier this week, my government released a technical analysis of heavy oil pipeline proposals in British Columbia. That analysis informed five principles that must be addressed if we are to consider support for such pipeline developments in our province.

1. Successful completion of the formal environmental review processes.

2. World-leading marine oil spill response, prevention and recovery systems for British Columbia.

3. World-leading practices for land spill prevention, response and recovery systems for British Columbia.

4. Legal requirements regarding Aboriginal and treaty rights must be addressed and First Nations be provided with the opportunities to benefit from these projects.

5. British Columbia receives a fair share of the fiscal and economic benefits of proposed heavy oil projects that reflect the risk borne by the province.

"We released our five principles this week because we are preparing our cross-examination of Enbridge at the Joint Review Panel that is conducting the environmental assessment of the Northern Gateway Pipeline. Our position was also timely given the energy discussions anticipated here in Halifax.

"My government is committed to economic development, including the sustainable development of environmentally friendly natural gas. Development of that resource will require the construction of pipelines for transport of natural gas. My government is behind that development 100 per cent and we are enabling it.

"My government also understands the need to diversify our markets in Canada. Two of the three pillars in our jobs plan relate to market diversification.
http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2012/0...sty-clark.html

And as Yaffe writes:
In its final submission to a panel studying the Northern Gateway pipeline, Enbridge showed once more why it has not gained the confidence of British Columbians.

From the time it began promoting its proposal in 2008, the Calgary company has botched the sales job on its proposed $6 billion 1,200-kilometre pipeline.

Gateway was billed by Stephen Harper as a strategic imperative for Canada, giving Alberta bitumen access to tidewater for export to Asian markets.

But it always conflicted with the green, sustainable vision people living on the West Coast have for their province.

True to form, at hearings before the federal Joint Review Panel in Terrace this week, Enbridge failed to reassure British Columbians who have been bombarded by environmental warnings about the pipeline despoiling their land and rivers and the perils of tanker traffic off B.C.’s coast.

Company lawyer Richard Neufeld instead argued economics, warning Canada could face financial disaster should the pipeline be rejected.

“How about a decision from the U.S. that it will no longer need Canadian oil?” he challenged. “Canadians would be facing, we suggest, an economic catastrophe of unprecedented proportions.”

While his dire message was aimed at the panel assigned to make recommendations to government by year’s end, it had scant resonance in B.C.

For better or worse, people here have never been overly concerned about getting Alberta bitumen to their coast. Or about securing export markets for the oil.

They’ve been unswayed by promises of 3,000 B.C. construction jobs, 560 long-term jobs and $1.2 billion in tax revenue for the province over 30 years.

What they do fret about is pipeline safety and the company’s liability for any spills.
And inexplicably, Enbridge waited until this week to float a pretty good idea: an industry-financed environmental protection megafund for catastrophic spills related to Northern Gateway.

Also hard to understand is why the company approached aboriginal groups so late in its pipeline planning process, trying to buy their support with offers of an equity stake instead of inviting them in as foundational partners from Day 1.

The only lifeline this project now has is one thrown to it last July by B.C.’s premier, in the form of her famous five conditions.

In presenting them — and at the time angering many by doing so — Clark charted a roadmap that at least gives the company a chance to get to Yes.

With the conclusion this week of the hearings, four conditions remain, pertaining to financial benefits for B.C., aboriginal consent and environmental concerns.
http://www.vancouversun.com/business...#ixzz2WnpSQxr8

Old
06-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Wetcoaster

A question to ponder - will the BC NDP be Dixless after this weekend?

Adrian Dix is meeting with the governing council of the BC New Democratic Party to explain his election prat fall.

It is unclear if the knives will be planted in his front or his back and whether when all is said and done is he still standing.
http://www.vancouversun.com/opinion/...624/story.html

Old
06-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Wetcoaster

Premier Clark's policy to promote BC's LNG (Liquefied Natural Gas) reserves appears to be off to a strong start.

During the election the BC NDP labelled the LNG plan as fantasy and BC Green MLA Andrew Weaver claimed that this was all a pipe dream:

“It’s a pipe dream to think just because you say it will be so does not mean there will be a market for it,” Weaver said. “Where is this supposed market going to be, because the only way this is going to work is with massive taxpayer subsidies.”

Seems not.

Ten days ago Malaysian national oil company Petronas says it expects to spend up to $16 billion to build a liquefied natural gas export facility and related infrastructure in Western Canada. Arif Mahmood, Petronas vice-president of corporate planning, says the company will invest between $9 billion and $11 billion to construct two LNG liquefaction plants near British Columbia's west coast. Another $5 billion will be invested in a 750 kilometre-long pipeline, to be built by TransCanada Corp., to supply gas to the two plants, he said Tuesday in an email to The Associated Press.

And now EXXON has come on board with a massive proposal and other energy companies have expressed interest.

The construction and plant jobs would give a huge boost to the northern BC economy and BC tax revenues from LNG extraction and exports would be massive.
The world’s largest energy company is joining the race to export liquefied natural gas from B.C. with a monster proposal that would process the equivalent of nearly one-third of Canada’s current daily production.

Exxon Mobil Corp. revealed its plans — which include a capacity to export up to 30 million tonnes of LNG a year — in an export application made this week to the National Energy Board.

BG Group, whose LNG plans for B.C. have already been publicized, also made an NEB application this week to export up to 21.6 million tonnes of LNG annually.

Premier Christy Clark welcomed the news of the two most recent LNG export applications.

“Once again we see companies wanting to take advantage of B.C.’s LNG potential and this move today highlights industry’s continued interest in its potential,” she said Thursday in a statement.

Clark touts LNG as a future saviour of B.C.’s economy, generating between $4.3 billion and $8.7 billion in government revenues a year once the industry is running full steam by about 2020.

Exxon and its Canadian subsidiary, Imperial Oil, propose to develop their LNG project under a venture known as WCC LNG Ltd.

The liquefaction component of the LNG terminal could require up to six processing units near Kitimat or Prince Rupert.
A dozen LNG export terminal projects are under consideration along the B.C. coast, with the province’s vast and largely untapped shale gas fields attracting interest from global operators including Apache, Chevron, Shell, PetroChina, British Gas, and Petronas.

Three projects already have export permits from the National Energy Board, and four are under review by the Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency.
http://www.vancouversun.com/Exxon+jo...#ixzz2WrdAJW4m

Closed Thread