HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers - Lightning

Old
05-02-2013, 10:28 PM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Oilers - Lightning

To EDM: Malone

To TB: Marincin

This is assuming Malone would be willing to come here (has limited NTC, can list 12 teams he would accept). For the Oil they get the big bodied veteran they need that can hopefully perform well enough to play in the top 6. For the Bolts they get some much needed cap relief if they are to do anything this off-season (even if they compliance buy out Brian Lee, they will have 59.8 mil committed while needing to re-sign Aulie as well as a 7th D and 4 depth forwards - and that's just to roll out the same roster as last year). Marincin would be a big addition to a poor defensive prospect pool.

Thoughts?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 10:39 PM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
I think we can get a little more for Malone. I have no idea who this guy is.

And why would be buy out Brian Lee? He takes up 1 million bucks in salary, he isn't killing our cap by any means.

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Klinkhammer View Post
I think we can get a little more for Malone. I have no idea who this guy is.

And why would be buy out Brian Lee? He takes up 1 million bucks in salary, he isn't killing our cap by any means.
I assumed Lee would be bought out because he was buried in the minors for he last half of the season, and in the 22 NHL games he played this year he had zero points and was -13. No, his 1.15mil isn't killing your cap, but it isn't helping it either. Consider this - with a new contract for Aulie (I'd say minimum the same money Lee makes), your team would be at 62million still needing 2 fourth line forwards and 2 depth/extra forwards. Even if all those guys make league minimum, you'd be at 64.2 mil (100k in cap flexibility). You sure you still want your 7th Dman making 1.15mil?

As for who Marincin is, he's our #2 D prospect behind Klefbom. 6'5 195lb Slovak who was a 2nd rder in 2010. Put up good offensive numbers in Prince George and Regina in the WHL (played with Connoly). Put up good numbers in his first pro season in the AHL (7-23-30 in 69 games and +20). Would be in the conversation as your best D prospect depending on your thoughts on Koekoek (not a fan personally).

If you can get more for Malone than kudos to Stevie Y, but IMO it's a fair offer when you consider the cap situation.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 11:49 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

If you throw in EDM 3rd or 4th and can call Malone to convince him, I'm all for it.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:14 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

This seems like a trade that would come back and haunt Edm. Marincin has to much upside

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:54 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
This seems like a trade that would come back and haunt Edm. Marincin has to much upside
Or they could try and be proactive for once and maybe sacrifice upside for a veteran presence?

DKQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 01:10 AM
thinlizzy

I would try and deal some other player on the Oil and/or prospect for Malone. It is tough for East players to come play in the West due to the light travel they get.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 02:06 AM
Rschmitz

We could use Malone's salary off the books. I'd be happy to give him away, but wouldn't mind getting something in return obviously.

Would gladly do this deal, I like Marincin

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 03:25 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
No thanks.
We're taking all of that salary off of your hands and Marincin is going to be a fine 2nd pairing d-man.
I'm not sure I'd even want to do it if Malone was making 3M per year. His offense has really dried up.
When he left the Penguins it looked like he was going to be a competent top 6 forward, but he's done nothing to impress since arriving in Tampa.

I'd much rather having Magnus on the second line and the idea of paying Malone 4.5M to play on the 3rd line is crazy IMO.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 05:12 AM
newham89

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
No thanks.
We're taking all of that salary off of your hands and Marincin is going to be a fine 2nd pairing d-man.
I'm not sure I'd even want to do it if Malone was making 3M per year. His offense has really dried up.
When he left the Penguins it looked like he was going to be a competent top 6 forward, but he's done nothing to impress since arriving in Tampa.

I'd much rather having Magnus on the second line and the idea of paying Malone 4.5M to play on the 3rd line is crazy IMO.
Whilst I understand not wanting his contract, say he isn't a competent top 6 forward is off base. He has scored there or there abouts 20 goals every year bar this one. In 2010-11 he got 14 goals but missed almost 30 games too. That's a top six forward right there.

You could complain about his injury history fairly, though. I'm all for getting rid of him.

Also, people seem to be forgetting Ohlunds cap hit which will be removed before the Lightning are in trouble.

newham89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Vieille Barbe
Radko's Modern Life

Malone's time in Tampa very much appears done, the question being whether he can be motivated enough to make a contribution elsewhere. My suspicion is that he will be offered basically for free this summer, and if there are no takers, will be a compliance buyout.

The idea of a Brian Lee buyout isn't so ridiculous because, as the OP has observed, he was buried in the AHL on a one-way contract. It does seem a bit of a longshot, but a buyout wouldn't be altogether surprising. It seems fairly clear he is not an NHL level D.

Vieille Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:16 AM
2 Weekes Notice

If Malone waives, I'd do it. Not gonna turn away another solid D prospect.

Malone would actually be a really nice fit for Edmonton if healthy.

2 Weekes Notice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
To EDM: Malone

To TB: Marincin

This is assuming Malone would be willing to come here (has limited NTC, can list 12 teams he would accept). For the Oil they get the big bodied veteran they need that can hopefully perform well enough to play in the top 6. For the Bolts they get some much needed cap relief if they are to do anything this off-season (even if they compliance buy out Brian Lee, they will have 59.8 mil committed while needing to re-sign Aulie as well as a 7th D and 4 depth forwards - and that's just to roll out the same roster as last year). Marincin would be a big addition to a poor defensive prospect pool.

Thoughts?
Well we can just place Ohlund on LTIR, which gives us 3.6 m more and not sure were you got the player numbers from. We have Aulie and Pouliot to resign, though it's not sure we resign Pouliot. Other than that all the guys are AHl players or in case of Taormina guys "between" the NHl and the AHL. So we realyy have no cap problem unless we get a serious top4 defender and this would open the chance to buyout brewer.

Anyways I don't want to nitpick too much.
I really like the offer and i doubt we can get more for Malone due to his injury problems and Marincin would be the perfect guy, because he would give us 3 good, near NHL ready two way prospects (Koekkoek, Marincin, Sustr and to a lesser extend Korobov), while also having Barberio as OD and Gudas as DD.

And our AHL defense would be good as hell next year:

Barberio-Korobov
Marincin-Sustr
Nesterov-Taormina
Lee

So after all I would do it and it would help both teams.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:36 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Whilst I understand not wanting his contract, say he isn't a competent top 6 forward is off base. He has scored there or there abouts 20 goals every year bar this one. In 2010-11 he got 14 goals but missed almost 30 games too. That's a top six forward right there.

You could complain about his injury history fairly, though. I'm all for getting rid of him.

Also, people seem to be forgetting Ohlunds cap hit which will be removed before the Lightning are in trouble.
If anything, you could accuse me of being hard on him for not turning into a much better player.

I seriously doubt his compete level, though.
Why? Because Ryan Smyth, who has never been a very talented player, has scored over thirty goals before.
Malone has spent a lot of time around a few incredibly talented forwards in Tampa and he's never accomplished a whole lot.
Yes, 20+ goals can get you onto the second line of pretty much every team in the NHL, but the fact that this guy has so much size and accomplished what he did so many years ago without accomplishing anything notably more impressive since then makes him seem like a lack-luster pick-up to me.

I was totally sober when I made that previous comment and I'm totally sober now... but I guess I kinda reject giving Malone such little respect.

We need a big guy who can fit in the top 6... but I there's no way I want to give away Marincin. He's big and he's going to be a very competent 2-way 2nd pairing d-man. I'm pretty sure he'll be playing for Edmonton in the 14/15 season. He'd be the first injury call-up next season if necessary if Klefbom starts the season with the Oilers.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Vieille Barbe
Radko's Modern Life

Quote:
I seriously doubt his compete level, though...Malone has spent a lot of time around a few incredibly talented forwards in Tampa and he's never accomplished a whole lot.
Agree completely

Vieille Barbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Malone has spent a lot of time around a few incredibly talented forwards in Tampa and he's never accomplished a whole lot.
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but this argument is used for literally every forward in Tampa, whenever someone needs it to fit what they're saying. Teddy is only good because of Stamkos. Stamkos is only good because of Marty. Marty is only good because of Stamkos. Pouliot is only good because of Lecavalier. Lecavalier is only good because of Marty/Stamkos. Malone is only good because of Marty/Stamkos/Lecavalier.

It gets annoying. Without a doubt, when Malone is into the game, his presence is most definitely felt. He hits, doesn't really take a lot of ****, and is a big body. When he uses that big body is when he is most useful. He's a power forward, no doubt about it. He's just unfortunately made of glass, and misses a lot of time. I will admit, when he got back from injury towards the end of the season, his play was what could be best described as "hot garbage."

After reading these posts though, your prospect is someone I would be interested in for Malone. If he can waive, I wouldn't mind a deal being done, but I would like to squeeze at least a pick out of you as well.

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

I would do this from TB POV

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Or they could try and be proactive for once and maybe sacrifice upside for a veteran presence?
If that was the case I would much rather sacrifice more in a package and receive a better player than Malone in return.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:37 AM
Ricky Bobby

That would be a great trade for Tampa Bay.

Cap relief from moving out a declining winger whose often injured to put towards the D group and they gain a solid prospect.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:42 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
The Oilers don't need to move out young d-men for wingers. That would be the worst move we could make. We certainly do need a guy like Malone, but there are four d-men in the minors that, if I were the Oil, I would not trade unless it was in a package for a top pair d-man. Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and Musil are all really solid prospects, and as weak as our NHL defense core is, in time these kids could be key parts to one of the best cores in the league if they are kept together.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
oilersfan87

I'm still convinced that Marincin will be better than Klefbom so no thanks.

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The Oilers don't need to move out young d-men for wingers. That would be the worst move we could make. We certainly do need a guy like Malone, but there are four d-men in the minors that, if I were the Oil, I would not trade unless it was in a package for a top pair d-man. Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat and Musil are all really solid prospects, and as weak as our NHL defense core is, in time these kids could be key parts to one of the best cores in the league if they are kept together.
I know its not popular to devalue your own players on the trade boards, but the lightning could really use the cap space and if I were yzerman it wouldnt take that much to get him.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:20 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
I know its not popular to devalue your own players on the trade boards, but the lightning could really use the cap space and if I were yzerman it wouldnt take that much to get him.
Still doesn't change the fact that Marincin is going to be a stud. If Yzerman wants to dump Malone's salary, we'll take him for picks, but not good prospects who could be difference makers very soon.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:46 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Still doesn't change the fact that Marincin is going to be a stud. If Yzerman wants to dump Malone's salary, we'll take him for picks, but not good prospects who could be difference makers very soon.
Thats what I'm saying. I would deal him for picks.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:14 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschmitz View Post
Thats what I'm saying. I would deal him for picks.
Depending on what the picks are, done deal.