HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Play by Play Analysis of Steen's PPG-Game 1

Old
05-02-2013, 08:33 AM
BBSuns

vCash: 500
Play by Play Analysis of Steen's PPG-Game 1

http://thehockeywriters.com/steens-p...one-for-blues/

Here to discuss.

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:14 AM
TheRyanExpress

Nice breakdown. And I think more than anything, it was a huge weight off the Blues' shoulders. They got the first goal, they put the Kings on their heals, they tallied a PP goal. They got that first one out of the way and were able to settle in and play their game.

TheRyanExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:18 AM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
Nice breakdown. And I think more than anything, it was a huge weight off the Blues' shoulders. They got the first goal, they put the Kings on their heals, they tallied a PP goal. They got that first one out of the way and were able to settle in and play their game.
Exactly; this goal was monumental in terms of how the rest of the series could play out. I was going to examine Steen's OT goal, but there wasn't much to analyze lol.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:54 AM
HockeyGuy73

vCash: 50
I agree, nice breakdown.
I think whats being lost is the fact we have shown we can play with the Kings for the first 40 minutes of a game this season. Its the third period goals we have given up that worries me.

Glad we wont game 1, but there is still work to be done.

EDIT-
I meant to include this in my previous post, but got "Enter" happy I guess.

In four game (Including Game 1 of the PLayoffs) we have been outscored 8-1 in the the third period by LA.

1st period it has been equal, 2-2
2nd period LA- 5 STL - 4, slight advantage LA

Last edited by HockeyGuy73: 05-02-2013 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Added stats
HockeyGuy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 09:56 AM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy73 View Post
I agree, nice breakdown.
I think whats being lost is the fact we have shown we can play with the Kings for the first 40 minutes of a game this season. Its the third period goals we have given up that worries me.

Glad we wont game 1, but there is still work to be done.
I posted on twitter mid-way through the 3rd that the Blues needed to keep the pedal to the metal if they wanted to win the game in regulation...unfortunately they started playing dump and sit back for the final 5 minutes of regulation and it cost them.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:26 AM
BBSuns

Called the win tonight lol

Old
05-03-2013, 11:05 AM
BlueAero

Good analysis. Most of the remainder of the game showed how much of an advantage it is for the Blues when they play with a lead. As you pointed out, going into a defensive shell the last 5 minutes of the game led to Williams' fluky goal and then we all know what happened in OT.

The big difference in the game last night was that the Blues showed the capability to come from behind which has not exactly been their strong suit this year. The Kings have to be shaking their collective heads and Quick has got to be a little unsure of himself after giving up a couple of game-winning shots that he undoubtedly thinks he should have had. Advantage: Blues.

Last edited by BlueAero: 05-03-2013 at 11:13 AM.
BlueAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 12:05 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAero View Post
Good analysis. Most of the remainder of the game showed how much of an advantage it is for the Blues when they play with a lead. As you pointed out, going into a defensive shell the last 5 minutes of the game led to Williams' fluky goal and then we all know what happened in OT.

The big difference in the game last night was that the Blues showed the capability to come from behind which has not exactly been their strong suit this year. The Kings have to be shaking their collective heads and Quick has got to be a little unsure of himself after giving up a couple of game-winning shots that he undoubtedly thinks he should have had. Advantage: Blues.
exactly. thus far, the Blues have been the ones who have had to work for their goals>Kings have been rather fluky (weird angle riser & a deflection)