HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Summer- Public Relations

Old
07-23-2013, 09:51 AM
benjiv1

vCash: 500
Senators Summer- Public Relations

Is anyone else generally concerned about how the Sens management have handled everything this summer from a PR stand point?

In my opinion, everyone is acting everything is status quo, but that status isnít quo!

This whole summer should have been a massive build up to the home opener, and instead everyone is just standing around with their hands in their pockets. We havenít heard anything about the captaincy, the Heritage Classic (a part from the actual announcement), there wasnít an official press conference for the newest Senators, etc.

This off-season has quite literally redefined the Ottawa Senators as a franchise, and it should be a big freaking deal! Alfredsson was the face of the franchise, and as a result the entire Canadian Tire Centre is going to need a literal face-lift. Why arenít we getting any updates on this!

Iím not a season ticket holder (hopefully after I buy my house next summer!), but if I was, I would be very concerned.

Just like the whole Alfredsson situation, I feel as if Sens management have really dropped the ball. (again, from a PR standpoint, not a Hockey Operations stand point)

Hereís a time line of what I would have liked to see happen this summer:

P.A. (POST ALFIE)

1 Day P.A.- Murray calls a press conference to address the many questions surrounding Alfredssonís departure, as well as the rest of free agency/ Bobby Ryan, and announces that the team will make an official statement regarding the future of the team including captaincy, direction etc in the coming weeks.

1 Week P.A.- Ottawa brings in Ryan, MacArthur, Corvo (all in Sens jerseyís with their appropriate numbers) for an introduction press conference. Also in attendance: Spezza, Phillips and Neil. They tell us that while they respect Alfredssonís decision, they think that he made the wrong decision and that the team will prove it to him next season.

1 Month P.A.- Paul Maclean press conference to announce the new captain of the team. Cyril Leeder also in attendance- speaks about the Heritage Classic, and shows a teaser image of the jersey the Sens will wear in Vancouver, and discusses the possibility of having travel package being made available to Sens fans looking to go. He also talks about the many changes the CTC will under go, with a focus on the youth movement within the organization.

2 Months P.A.- The team holds a Fan Appreciation Season Opener. Throughout the city of Ottawa, all of the Canadian Tires will host different players for autograph sessions, as well as prize/ticket give aways.

Pre-Season Starts.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
It's like mid July.

McManked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:13 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
It's like mid July.
Yes, but how did we not have anything for Ryan + MacArthur + Corvo?

No draft party, nothing from Paul Maclean, nothing on the captaincy.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:19 AM
halpinhe

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Yes, but how did we not have anything for Ryan + MacArthur + Corvo?

No draft party, nothing from Paul Maclean, nothing on the captaincy.
This. I'm really shocked that there still hasn't been some kind of statement from his end about the offseason. Maybe the media guys like him so much that they don't want to bother him while he's at the cottage (supposedly where he's holed up).

halpinhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

First and foremost, Maclean is at his cottage and running a coaches clinic down east.

Second, there has been nothing on the captaincy because they're going to let the dust settle on one of the biggest off-seasons in the teams history before they go having huge press conferences announcing the captain. ESPECIALLY when you're last captain is Alfredsson. With the circumstances around his departure, it's best to wait a bit to announce the captain.

Finally, I'm not sure if you were aware of Bobby Ryan. He literally spent 12 hours going to every freaking media outlet in Ottawa. He was on news radio, he went on morning television, he did sports radio interviews, he toured the Scotiabank Place, he went on the ice at the Sensplex with kids, he went on OTR. Why is a formal press conference needed when he literally gave 8 different interviews on one day.

Seriously.

Old
07-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
I honestly could not care any less about the PR efforts (or lack thereof)

I think it is safe to assume that management is working towards signing the players they want to sign and taking care of business

I am surprised that some of you want to see a bigger PR push though... What could Maclean say about Ryan that would actually be worthwhile?! "Yeah I coached against him a couple of a times and he's really good"?

We get enough vacuous statements about things that matter in the grand scheme of things; I'd rather this not extend to the Ottawa Senators honestly.

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Is anyone else generally concerned about how the Sens management have handled everything this summer from a PR stand point?

In my opinion, everyone is acting everything is status quo, but that status isnít quo!

This whole summer should have been a massive build up to the home opener, and instead everyone is just standing around with their hands in their pockets. We havenít heard anything about the captaincy, the Heritage Classic (a part from the actual announcement), there wasnít an official press conference for the newest Senators, etc.

This off-season has quite literally redefined the Ottawa Senators as a franchise, and it should be a big freaking deal! Alfredsson was the face of the franchise, and as a result the entire Canadian Tire Centre is going to need a literal face-lift. Why arenít we getting any updates on this!
Goodbye playoffs....

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:06 AM
benjiv1

Almost every team in the league did official official press conferences for their new players.

Why are people treating this summer like nothing has happened?

Old
07-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Milan the God*

The best PR move was made by Murray.

Everyone is freaking out, we just lost Alfie, what will we do? A few hours later he pulls off a trade for a power forward entering their prime.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:12 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
Why are people treating this summer like nothing has happened?
What sort of purpose would an overreaction serve?

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:16 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
What sort of purpose would an overreaction serve?
We don't need to overreact, but we do need some sort of achknowledgement that things are going to change.

I've spoken to a lot of your "casual/every day" fans, and a lot of them are worried about the team going forward. The team should be trying to calm those fears.

We keep hearing about the negative; Alfredsson leaving, Melnyks money, etc.

The former Captain of our team said we aren't good enough, and we haven't really responded.

The focus should be on looking toward the future, and the team has really dropped the ball so far.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:18 AM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

I think anything they would have done would be reactionary and forced.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain."

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:35 AM
The King of Town

So say the team puts out a press release. What has changed about the roster? What has changed about the product on the ice?

Are people really going to feel better because of a press release?

The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:38 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

If people are thinking the team is somehow worse off than they were before all this stuff happened, they are dumb hockey fans.

They are probably the same fans that wish Mike Fisher was back.

Old
07-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

Omg alfies gone alfies gone bail out alfies gone

Oh, you are focusing on the future. Okay then, take my money.

Said nobody, ever

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classless Manked View Post
If people are thinking the team is somehow worse off than they were before all this stuff happened, they are dumb hockey fans.

They are probably the same fans that wish Mike Fisher was back.
For some reason my wife hates mike fisher, with a passion

this offseason has had our lowest low and probably our highest high Ina while.

I just do not care about all this stuff either. Like press conferences and all that.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Quo

- Consider the shortened off-season.

- BM addressed the Alfie situation at the first available opportunity and did so gracefully IMO. Players spoke about the situation when they were ready to on their own terms. Most basically said what you're saying: "they respect Alfredssonís decision, they think that he made the wrong decision and that the team will prove it to him next season."

- I think they're doing the right thing holding off the captaincy decision. Too sudden. Too soon.

- MacLeans presser was basically hi-jacked by financial questions.

- Have we actually ever had a draft party?

- We had comprehensive coverage of rookie camp.

- Every new player and everyone that's been re-signed has addressed the press and management has said a few words about the deals. Not flashy but why is that necessary?

- As Ryan said himself, a major presser in the middle of rookie camp would steal the kids' thunder. Probably a management decision.

- Instead, SENS TV basically stalked Bobby Ryan his first day in town as he made the rounds of every major media outlet in the city and toured the facilities. Exposure was there for our big-ticket acquisition.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:47 AM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Let's just say I'd much much much rather Bobby Ryan's intro to Ottawa be exploring the city and facilities then simply having a formal press conference.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

God..... summer threads. Get here october. Please.

Liliaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:33 PM
benjiv1

Wow! No one agrees! To each their own I guess!

From a marketing stand point, I have no idea how the team isn't more on top of everything, but apparently that's just me!

Old
07-23-2013, 12:34 PM
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Wow! No one agrees! To each their own I guess!

From a marketing stand point, I have no idea how the team isn't more on top of everything, but apparently that's just me!
Well they had one of the biggest twitter contests I've ever seen with the Ryan catchphrase thing.

I mean my feed literally blew up for a couple hours.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Larionov

vCash: 50
I thought that Bobby Ryan's media intro to Ottawa was a tour de force. We haven't seen a young Senators player with that kind of charisma and star power in a long time. Bobby Ryan probably sold more tickets for the team in two days than they ever imagined.

As others have said, the team is better off doing a big media splash in the days leading up to camp. If you introduce Corvo and McArthur now, fans will shrug and go back to what they were doing. It's July, after all, and the casual fan is not thinking about hockey. We are, because we are freaks. :-)

Finally, as to the captaincy, address that on opening night at home. I would strongly advocate that the team NOT name a captain right away, not even for the opening road trip. On opening night at home, you have Neil and Phillips carry a new jersey over to Spezza right before opening faceoff. He puts it on, and of course it will have the "C" on it. Crowd goes nuts, torch has been passed, let's get on with the game...

Larionov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 12:43 PM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larionov View Post
I thought that Bobby Ryan's media intro to Ottawa was a tour de force. We haven't seen a young Senators player with that kind of charisma and star power in a long time. Bobby Ryan probably sold more tickets for the team in two days than they ever imagined.

As others have said, the team is better off doing a big media splash in the days leading up to camp. If you introduce Corvo and McArthur now, fans will shrug and go back to what they were doing. It's July, after all, and the casual fan is not thinking about hockey. We are, because we are freaks. :-)

Finally, as to the captaincy, address that on opening night at home. I would strongly advocate that the team NOT name a captain right away, not even for the opening road trip. On opening night at home, you have Neil and Phillips carry a new jersey over to Spezza right before opening faceoff. He puts it on, and of course it will have the "C" on it. Crowd goes nuts, torch has been passed, let's get on with the game...
This I actually agree with. I only meant that they should make an announcement that they have a plan in place for the captaincy, instead of flying by the seat of their pants.

Old
07-23-2013, 12:56 PM
bta1976

I think if you read this Cyril Leeder interview, it will answer some of your concerns. He said that with Alfi's departure, they had to scrap the marketing plan and are working on a new one. Also, hard to market for games when the sched was just released.
http://www.the6thsens.com/2013-artic...sue-pt-ii.html

bta1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 01:03 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Wait, you want to name a captain before the entire team is together, before you have a chance to talk to the leaders of the team as a group?

That would be a disaster. Get training camp over with, spend the few days after camp before the first game to decide.

What's the hurry here?

littleD is offline   Reply With Quote