HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst Print Media: Toronto, Montreal, or elsewhere?

Old
04-30-2013, 09:32 PM
Quares27

vCash: 500
Ottawa's media are the biggest homers ever and Toronto's are the biggest haters ever... I guess it depends what you dislike more

Quares27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:34 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
Ottawa's media are the biggest homers ever and Toronto's are the biggest haters ever... I guess it depends what you dislike more
Yep, Don Brennan, HUGE homer

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:37 PM
stempniaksen
Alright, I'm mad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quares27 View Post
If Sun Media didn't exist you could at least start to make that argument, but it does. Guys like Garrioch and Brennan are some of the worst in the business.

stempniaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Elever
Hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post

McCown actually knows what he's talking about.
Oh the irony....that picture should be below your quote.

It's 2013 not 1998....you can follow your team a multitude of ways online through bloggers or forums and don't need local reporters.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:47 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
Oh the irony....that picture should be below your quote.
was thinking the same thimg

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:48 PM
tsujimoto74

Buffalo's writers are truly abysmal. If anyone wants some lolz, look for Regier and Black's presser from yesterday. Several members of Buffalo's media completely embarrassed themselves, and Ted Black sassed back. Highlights include: "Mike, behave yourself like a professional, please. Can you?" And then when certain members of the media wasted 15 minutes wondering why they can't talk to Terry Pegula every other day: "I'd love to speak with your boss." He ruined it by apologizing at the end though.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:57 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Well I'm sure views depend on which media you are exposed to more. Won't declare it the worst, but agree the Toronto media is pretty bad. Nothing original out of them, just the same boring questions over and over again. Also know that negativity sells so can always be sure to get a lot of that. There are some good guys in there, but too many idiots who are just interested in getting hits so their jobs stay secure.

Though can say I'll always have Howard Berger as the worst of them all. I never got how he could make a career out of literally insulting Leaf fans at every opportunity.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:07 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Buffalo's writers are truly abysmal. If anyone wants some lolz, look for Regier and Black's presser from yesterday. Several members of Buffalo's media completely embarrassed themselves, and Ted Black sassed back. Highlights include: "Mike, behave yourself like a professional, please. Can you?" And then when certain members of the media wasted 15 minutes wondering why they can't talk to Terry Pegula every other day: "I'd love to speak with your boss." He ruined it by apologizing at the end though.
The Buffalo News is soooo bad. Jerry Sullivan is an idiot with no hockey knowledge at all. Bucky Gleason makes a Briere/Drury fiasco reference in every other sentence, even if the topic has absolutely nothing to do with it. Talk about the need for Myers to play better? Somehow it is linked to the co-caps debacle. Mike Harrington will literally tell players false quotes to elicit dirt he can use. And if you dare call him out on his inaccuracies, he snaps back "where's your journalism degree" and blocks you from his twitter. Tim Graham is awesome, but since returning to TBN he basically only does features. Jon Vogl is a decent reporter I suppose.

Far cry from the days of Jim Kelley. For a hockey crazed city, we deserve better than those fools.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:12 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
Edmonton media, print and radio are just PR shills for the Oilers.
shhhh

flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

Buffalo and Philly. Provincial - pat themselves on the back when they question the teams, act like Bieber Fans when questioned by an outside source. Complete "Nobody criticizes my brother but me" asininity from people who are supposed to be professional. John Vogl is a champ at this.

Ed - Gare Joyce is in his own category of thin-skinned-ness.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:15 PM
SP

Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun recently wrote an article about his own penis.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:18 PM
Finnish your Czech
leafs are in the pla

Most team's fans (from large cities that have a decent sized hockey following) will likely say that their city has the worst media.

Finnish your Czech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:21 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Montreal. It's in French.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:29 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
I know that fans in both cities are pretty fed up with the media. Today's whiny rants on Kessel is the latest example in Toronto. The reader response is overwhelmingly against Simmons and Cox. Thoughts? Should we stop giving them hits? (I haven't bought a newspaper in ages)
Dave Feschuk is pretty terrible as well.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Polansky

It must be tough to write about a team every day because it seems like every city where reporters have a story every day or pretty often, the fans are not liking what is being written.

Polansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polansky View Post
It must be tough to write about a team every day because it seems like every city where reporters have a story every day or pretty often, the fans are not liking what is being written.
Or, in the case of Philadelphia :

If you have no story, make one up and claim you have source

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

Toronto has Cox Simmons and Dimanno. No contest

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:43 PM
smitty10

Philly, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal are all full of clueless writers. You'd think that 3 of the big cities would be overflowing with talented sports journalists, but they're not. It's sad.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:45 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Toronto has got to be the worst - especially because of those two clowns. I try to avoid what they write altogether because every time I read either of them I can feel my blood pressure rise. I finally blocked both of them on twitter because not only didn't I want to see their tweets I didn't want to see them when others retweeted.

Bob Mckeown is also awful - so is every single person who covers hockey on sportsnet, come to think of it.
Bob McCown isn't a Sportsnet journalist. He's a radio host who happens to work for Sportsnet's flagship radio station. Besides, he's smart, know's what he's talking about. People don't like him because he's abrasive. He's also more interested in baseball than hockey anyway.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Philadelphia.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:49 PM
doug hamilton

Sports reporting is pretty uniformly rotten There are a few really good sports writers out there but they are few and far between and have been around for a long time.

The only place you can find that's worse is what passes jokingly for journalism in the business section which is just shameless flackery and regurgitation of any company's press releases. The world of business reporting makes someone like Steve Simmons look like Edward R. Murrow in comparison.

doug hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Philly, Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal are all full of clueless writers. You'd think that 3 of the big cities would be overflowing with talented sports journalists, but they're not. It's sad.
ottawa's just bad because of Sun Media, and most consider them a tabloid, not an actual news source.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:53 PM
MXD

Ottawa? Bunch of homers, really, but when it doesn't get into sheer idiocy, it's tolerable.
Montreal? Some great journalists... If you dig. The key word being "dig". Martin Leclerc and Mathias Brunet are good, but the latter is less and less interesting though.

Those are the two places I know. From what I've heard, Philly edges Toronto for the win.

Somebody should remind those Philly columnists of the existence of Pete Peeters, and of why he was traded away from Philly in the first place. --- > https://twitter.com/RearAdBsBlog/sta...77480135979008

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Revansky

Don't read newspapers in Montreal since the french coach debacle ! (and it's coming from a french canadian)

Revansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:01 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Russell Crowe View Post
Modern day media is all about sensationalism. These guys, "pseudo-journalists", have only one goal: to generate as many clicks as possible. All kinds of trolling; being controversial, provocative etc. does the job.

The days of good journalism are gone.
Pretty much the gist of it.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote