05-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

vCash: 500
Awards:
May 1

Bruins need Tuukka Rask to carry team in playoffs
We all know how the story played out in 2010, the last time Rask was the go-to-guy between the pipes for the Bruins in the playoffs as Rask and the Bruins blew a 3-0 series lead to the Philadelphia Flyers in the Eastern Conference Semifinals, but this go around the Bruins have a different Rask in net.
“Yeah, you gain experience throughout the years and style-wise probably not too much, but maybe just the experience factor is there,” said Rask after the Bruins season ending 3-2 loss to the Ottawa Senators.

“Obviously I want to help the team to win series, that’s my biggest concern,” added Rask. “I’m not trying to really prove people wrong or anything like that. I just try to play as good as I can and help the team to win the series and see where that leaves us”

http://www.boston.com/blogs/sports/h..._playoffs.html

Leafs, Bruins hoping to shake late-season woes
BOSTON (AP) — Forget about the way the Bruins and Maple Leafs stumbled into the playoffs. Pay no attention to how Boston has dominated Toronto in recent seasons.

That’s what both teams will be trying to do when they meet in the playoffs Wednesday night for the first time since 1974.

‘‘If things would've been going all our way, we would've been downplaying it the same way,’’ Bruins center Patrice Bergeron said Tuesday.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rho...QQJ/story.html

Bruins’ Cup team seeking another run
The Bruins are two years older than they were in 2011. Hair has waned for some, thickened for others. But the moment that was frozen in time, when the Bruins hoisted the Stanley Cup on June 15, 2011, remains as the indelible connection that most of this year’s club brings into Game 1 against the Toronto Maple Leafs.
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...5aL/story.html

Two teams looking for a focus and a foothold
The Bruins wilted over their last 10 games, going 3-7-0, and the Maple Leafs were only a slightly more respectable 5-4-1. The squads enter their first-round series as classic No. 4-5 seeds, neither good nor bad, each in need of focus, a foothold, something to provide playoff momentum.

“We are challenging ourselves to get our game back,’’ said Bruins coach Claude Julien.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...cwL/story.html

Nathan Horton likely to return for Game 1
Nathan Horton missed the last five games of the regular season because of an upper-body injury suffered during a fight with Pittsburgh’s Jarome Iginla. That streak does not look like it will extend to six games.

On Tuesday at TD Garden, Horton practiced with his teammates for the first time since leaving that April 20 game. The right winger was alongside usual linemates Milan Lucic and David Krejci

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...5MP/story.html

Tyler Seguin matures into pressure-packed role
In his previous two NHL postseasons, Tyler Seguin was still just the new kid, a young man with tremendous potential and a lot to learn about life, on and off the ice, in the big leagues.

Come playoff time, any good hockey person knew better than to expect too much from a youngster like Seguin. It wouldn’t be fair or reasonable to ask a teenager to step up and deliver amid the heightened intensity and pressure of the playoffs.

But Seguin’s status has changed as the Bruins face off tonight against the Toronto Maple Leafs in Game 1 of their Eastern Conference quarterfinal series at the Garden. He’s not the young, raw kid anymore — even if he is just two months past his 21st birthday — but a player the B’s desperately need to be very good.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...re_packed_role

For B’s, stakes are high
..Perhaps this is revisionist history — and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong — but the on-ice version of our little sports world didn’t come to an end last year when the Bruins were dismissed from the first round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Put another way, Bruins fans didn’t turn into Canucks fans when the Bruins were sent packing by the Washington Capitals.

The sad reality, as Bruins fans learned last year, is that no sport suffers from a post-championship hangover the way hockey teams do. You win a Stanley Cup these days and you are all but doomed to a quick exit from the tourney the next time around. Look it up, it’s staggering.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/colum...takes_are_high

Nathan Horton pumped for postseason
The last time Nathan Horton played any kind of role in a Bruins playoff game, it was a spiritual one.

Knocked out of the 2011 Stanley Cup finals with a concussion, Horton was seen pouring some water from the Garden ice over the Rogers Arena sheet in Vancouver to give his teammates a little extra mojo to bring home the Game 7 victory.

Horton also had to miss the playoffs last year due to a second concussion

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...for_postseason

Daugavins ready to wing it in Game 1
Claude Julien made it perfectly clear the lines he put out on the ice for practice at the Garden yesterday may not be the same combinations the Bruins use for tonight’s Game 1 against Toronto.

Then again, they very well could be. And there was one eyebrow-raising personnel choice. Instead of Rich Peverley skating the third line left wing with center Chris Kelly and right winger Jaromir Jagr, Kaspars Daugavins was in the spot.

There are pros and cons for each player. Peverley gives you speed and versatility. A natural center, he could move to the middle in a pinch. Daugavins gives you a sturdier body down low who might be able to clean up some loose pucks in front of the net more effectively. Both kill penalties, while Peverley has seen time on the power play as well.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...g_it_in_game_1

Five keys to a Bruins series victory
http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...series_victory

Rask excited to return to the playoffs
He knows what’s coming.

“Talented offense, and they work hard,” Tuukka Rask said of the Toronto Maple Leafs. “Their new coach (Randy Carlyle) has done a good job getting their group together. They really play for each other. As a goalie, you’ve got to respect the talent of their offense.”

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/...o-the-playoffs

Bruins face plenty of questions in series vs. Leafs
BOSTON — They may have finished ahead of the Maple Leafs in the standings, and defeated them in nine of the last 10 meetings, but the Bruins face plenty of questions in their best-of-7 series against Toronto.
http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/...eries-vs-Leafs

Bruins hope to plug holes vs. Maple Leafs
On the eve of the Bruins' 2013 playoff debut, general manager Peter Chiarelli probably had the best description of his schizophrenic team.

“It's like a dam with holes in it,” Chiarelli said at a press conference on Monday. “You've got to plug the holes, and whenever you plug one hole, there seems to be another. There just seems to be more holes this year.”

The Bruins are a hockey team with corks stuck everywhere as they prepare for tonight's first-round playoff opener against the fast yet forceful Toronto Maple Leafs at TD Garden (7 p.m., NESN).

http://www.telegram.com/article/20130501/NEWS/105019890

Late-season slumps doom Stanley Cup hopes
It’s a line we hear all too often, year after year, especially throughout May and into June: “They got hot at the right time.”

Every season, NHL teams aim to be playing their best hockey as they enter the playoffs, with their ultimate goal being to ride that roll all the way to a Stanley Cup. The eighth-seeded Los Angeles Kings did it last year, finally figuring things out offensively in the late stages of the season to complement the superb campaign their netminder, Jonathan Quick (Hamden, Conn.), was having. Once they put the two together, L.A. was an unstoppable force in the postseason, going 16-4 en route to the first championship in franchise history.

What an NHL team doesn’t want to do at this time of the year is lose their way and back into the playoffs. Simple logic dictates why, but what do the numbers say?

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/bl...nley_Cup_hopes

Bruins hope to be big and bad again vs. Leafs
They are the big, bad Bruins after all and, come playoff time, they intend to show it.

With the repercussions so stiff, it may not come in the form of fisticuffs, but as the Stanley Cup champions from two years ago get set to launch what they hope will be another long post-season run, they are professing to be armed and ready.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20783166.html

Bruins are for the taking — rest is up to Maple Leafs
These are not your father’s Boston Bruins. These are not even the Stanley Cup Bruins of two years ago.

Yes, they won the Cup. Yes, it was mostly this roster, with Claude Julien coaching, minus the crazy Conn Smythe winner in goal, Tim Thomas.

But watch this team play: There’s something wrong. They do not scare people. There isn’t that dangerous take no prisoners attitude

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../20782806.html

Veteran forward Rolston retires after 17 seasons.
TORONTO — Veteran forward Brian Rolston officially announced his retirement from the NHL on Tuesday.

The 40-year-old native of Flint, Mich., played in 1,256 games over 17 seasons with New Jersey, Colorado, Boston, Minnesota and the New York Islanders. He finishes his career with 342 goals, 419 assists and 761 points. As a rookie he helped the Devils win their first Stanley Cup in franchise history in the 1994-95 season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/v...er-17-seasons/

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Gee Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:10 AM
ODAAT

Pump Reimer with shots, and shoot em all high, glove hand

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:14 AM
ObjectiveOpinion

I love that we're the team with the questions when we kicked TO'as ass this year.

ObjectiveOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:20 AM
Bad Hat Harry

Thanks Wally!

By the sounds of these articles you would think the Bruins are the #8 seed...

Bad Hat Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:26 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObjectiveOpinion View Post
I love that we're the team with the questions when we kicked TO'as ass this year.
U watch any games this year??

Maybe your thinkin Red Sox v Jays??

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Hat Harry View Post
Thanks Wally!

Without Rask/Dobby, thye would have been an 8th seed...

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:44 AM
WBC8

Looch is ready!

“Probably 30%,” bruising Bruins winger Milan Lucic said when asked Tuesday how much the physical game accelerates when the Cup tournament begins. “Guys are willing to do that much more. I think on every team you get to kind of see who the guys are that are willing to put themselves and their body on the line in order to win and who the pretenders are.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Without Rask/Dobby, thye would have been an 8th seed...
OK. Point?

Most teams wouldn't even be an 8 seed without their top 2 goalies.

Seidenbergy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Bad Hat Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuukka Time View Post
OK. Point?

Real hard to win games when you have an open net

Bad Hat Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:31 AM
hoss75

Quote:
OK. Point?

I think the point is that we'd be in a bad place with most other teams' top 2 goalies.

hoss75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 09:41 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Quote:
OK. Point?

But to expect Rask to be the primary reason the Bruins have a chance at the Cup is foolhardy. If the Bruins play at the level we’ve become accustomed to over the last six to eight weeks, no goalie should have that impossible burden thrust upon him.

Couldn't have said it better...

http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...&dlvrit=845873

Old
05-01-2013, 09:51 AM
WBC8

Quote:
But to expect Rask to be the primary reason the Bruins have a chance at the Cup is foolhardy. If the Bruins play at the level we’ve become accustomed to over the last six to eight weeks, no goalie should have that impossible burden thrust upon him.

Couldn't have said it better...

http://www.boston.com/sports/columni...&dlvrit=845873
The entire Bruins game plan revolves around their goalies to have a .930 sv pct or better for success...Totally unfair to the goalies....Defense first...Jaromir Jagr is a 3rd liner for the first time in his career....maybe.

The goalies are expected to give up 70 goals in every 1000 shots...Only two full time goalies were over that mark this season.

The year we won the Cup our goalie had a .940... and it STILL TOOK 25 GAMES AND THREE GAMES SEVEN'S.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:57 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
The entire Bruins game plan revolves around their goalies to have a .930 sv pct or better for success...Totally unfair to the goalies....Defense first...Jaromir Jagr is a 3rd liner for the first time in his career....maybe.

The goalies are expected to give up 70 goals in every 1000 shots...Only two full time goalies were over that mark this season.
That's why i think they need to change their setup as a team. Heck, even Thomas couldn't save them, last year. It tell you a lot about the whole concept. The Bruins doesn't score enough and their defensive game not where it's suppose to be. That's i find it hard to find any positive aside the fact that we're facing Toronto. I'd like to think that my Bruins couldn't win it all but unless an unexpected turn of events, it's not going to happen. Jarg: I just don't get it...

Old
05-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Seidenbergy

Quote:
The year we won the Cup our goalie had a .940... and it STILL TOOK 25 GAMES AND THREE GAMES SEVEN'S.
If you look back, it's because we were a Jeckyl and Hyde team in basically every series that post season. In our wins, we averaged 4.5 goals per game. In our losses, it was under 2 goals per game.

Seidenbergy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Hamilton Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Hat Harry View Post
Thanks Wally!

I hope they play like they aren't. Hopefully this material is in the dressing room, Claude points it out, Chara and Bergeron and other C material players use it to fire everyone up. Just in case "firing up" is needed.

Hamilton Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:28 AM
WBC8

Quote:
That's why i think they need to change their setup as a team. Heck, even Thomas couldn't save them, last year. It tell you a lot about the whole concept. The Bruins doesn't score enough and their defensive game not where it's suppose to be. That's i find it hard to find any positive aside the fact that we're facing Toronto. I'd like to think that my Bruins couldn't win it all but unless an unexpected turn of events, it's not going to happen. Jarg: I just don't get it...
Bruins lost three games to the Caps where they surrendered 2 goals. One of their wins was a 1-0 OT victory....We may have to score some goals vs Taranta....

Old
05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
patty59

Quote:
Bruins lost three games to the Caps where they surrendered 2 goals. One of their wins was a 1-0 OT victory....We may have to score some goals vs Taranta....
There's only one T in Tarana

Scoring shouldn't be a problem, this lineup is head and shoulders better than that one from last year.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:33 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:
The upside is the Caps were playing airtight D under Hunter ... Leafs are pretty loose on D, so they hopefully should be able to generate much better chances against Reimer than they did against Holtby.

DoubleAAAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:

I haven't followed Jagr that closely, but I seem to recall he was a third liner with Pittsburgh when they won the Cup.

As for goalies, they are almost always the key to winning Cups, aren't they? Haven't goalies won more Conn Smythes than any other position? Isn't it defense that wins championships? Do you want the Bruins to emulate Philly, and load up at forward, rather than on the back end? That's not exactly a recipe for success, is it?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:39 PM
theswede2013

Let's Go Bruins!!!!!!!

theswede2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 01:41 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I haven't followed Jagr that closely, but I seem to recall he was a third liner with Pittsburgh when they won the Cup.

As for goalies, they are almost always the key to winning Cups, aren't they? Haven't goalies won more Conn Smythes than any other position? Isn't it defense that wins championships? Do you want the Bruins to emulate Philly, and load up at forward, rather than on the back end? That's not exactly a recipe for success, is it?
22 years ago when he was a rookie?

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:55 PM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
U watch any games this year??

Maybe your thinkin Red Sox v Jays??
not sure if serious They almost swept the Leafs...so...not..sure who you are talking about

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:57 PM
jasonbaz77*

I love how Wilbur said the Leafs have more weapons than the Bruins. I laughed. He also said they were lucky to win the Cup...I stopped reading.

The Bruins beat the most dominant team in the most dominant fashion in Stanley Cup history- these are facts Wilbur. You can say this team looks rough...but when you start spouting nonsense you are a Kevin Dupont retread. In other words...you don't know what you are talking about.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote