HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Closed Thread

Old
05-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Musashi

vCash: 500
Macgregor discussing prospects on Oilers now right now

Old
05-07-2013, 02:23 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
Macgregor discussing prospects on Oilers now right now
Yup.

Jones #1. Thinks Monahan, Nurse and Nichkuskin are right there with Mack, Drouin and Barkov.

Also mentioned Calgary will likely take Monahan if they don't get Barkov. Interesting no mention of Lindholm. Did he just forget?

Pretty sure our pick will be Monahan or Nurse

Old
05-07-2013, 02:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Yup.

Jones #1. Thinks Monahan, Nurse and Nichkuskin are right there with Mack, Drouin and Barkov.

Also mentioned Calgary will likely take Monahan if they don't get Barkov. Interesting no mention of Lindholm. Did he just forget?

If Macgregor thinks Nurse is up there with Mac and Drouin he should be fired. Nurse is at least 3-4 years away and is a project. Nurse has huge potential but also has a huge bust factor attached to him.

Old
05-07-2013, 02:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Did you miss him drilling Hall into the boards the last time that we played Phoenix? The game that Hall slashed Michaelik? That looked pretty physical to me
I watch Hanzal a lot. He's pretty tame for such a big guy. He uses his size to his advantage, but he isn't out there trying to run everyone over

05-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
If Macgregor thinks Nurse is up there with Mac and Drouin he should be fired. Nurse is at least 3-4 years away and is a project. Nurse has huge potential but also has a huge bust factor attached to him.
The huge potential is why they might have him that high. NHL-readiness likely isn't a concern when they rank these guys, so it might not matter how far away he is.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Jordan Subban with the 58th overall pick, just because.

Really wish he wasn't 5'8".... Would be really excited to land a Subban, but he takes smurph to a whole new level.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:01 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
A couple things. First teams aren't looking at the best player next year but the best in 5 years and beyond. So while I don't disagree that Nurse is about 2-4 years away, that shouldn't exclude him from the group. Second, Nurse has a very low bust factor....he will play in the league. He will be at minimum a #5 or 6. His skating and defensive ability will lead him to that. I think he should turn into at least a Smid type dman....at worst a Fistric. Now I haven't seen the offensive ability others say he has....if he does or develops it than he could be special.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:07 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
The huge potential is why they might have him that high. NHL-readiness likely isn't a concern when they rank these guys, so it might not matter how far away he is.
NHL readiness is a big part IMO, it's why a guy like Murray goes ahead of guys like Reinhart or Reilly. I'm very leery of boom or bust prospects especially in the top 10. You need to be picking up a player that's all but a lock to play top 9 minutes or top 4 d and has the potential to be top line/top pairing.

Old
05-07-2013, 03:12 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
Jordan Subban with the 58th overall pick, just because.

Really wish he wasn't 5'8".... Would be really excited to land a Subban, but he takes smurph to a whole new level.
I'm not even sure he makes it to there. He's a 1st round talent, but in the wrong body. I still want him on the chance he's not done growing (even if he doesn't, he can probably still make it)

Old
05-07-2013, 03:26 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm not even sure he makes it to there. He's a 1st round talent, but in the wrong body. I still want him on the chance he's not done growing (even if he doesn't, he can probably still make it)
He's an intriguing prospect but not one I think the Oil should target if everything went perfectly my picks would be as follows:

7-Sean Monahan
37-Heatherington
ANA-Matt Buckels

Old
05-07-2013, 03:29 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Yup.

No surprise there. Low patience in Calgary in terms of getting a top pick in the NHL. Monahan and Barkov are arguably more NHL-ready than any other forward out there right now.

They're also probably cognizant of the type of C they need with the division they're headed into. More of the Kopitar/Thornton type than a Giroux/RNH type.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:34 PM
40oz

Stu says Nicushkin does not have an out clause after one year, that he and his agent would have to buy his way out of the contract (not the team). Not sure what his contract is worth but Traktor just traded him to Dynamo Moscow for 3M US.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:45 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Stu says Nicushkin does not have an out clause after one year, that he and his agent would have to buy his way out of the contract (not the team). Not sure what his contract is worth but Traktor just traded him to Dynamo Moscow for 3M US.
Stu better make sure of this, because from everything I've seen he's got an out clause after 1 season.

Either way, the fact that he is staying in Russia until he is 20 should not be a reason not to draft him. Everyone wants a big powerforward on the team, well there he is.

Old
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Not sure what the big fuss is about. It's a 2 year contract, right? Developing in a quality league against men. How is this a bad thing? I could see some concerns if he had a 5-6 year deal or something, but as long as he intends to come over after 2 years, what's the problem? If I'm not mistaken, Tarasenko spent 2 years developing in the KHL post-draft and has transitioned well. If anything, we tend to rush kids into the NHL. It would be a good thing not to have him in our line up right away.

Now if you don't believe in his abilities or that he will come over, then you have a case for not drafting him. Blaming it on the two year contract is kinda dumb though IMO. (PS: not directed at you...just fans in general)

Old
05-07-2013, 04:47 PM
SHO NUFF*

MacGregor also said they'd consider a goaltender at either #37 or with Anaheim's 2nd. Have to think you'd see at least Jarry or Comrie on the board at that stage, possibly even Fucale.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:06 PM
jmoss45

Stu just did an interview with Gregor too. Few things of note
  • He said "MacT has a lot of lines in the water" so they're meeting to prepare for a bunch of trade up/down scenarios and that's what they've discussed most of today.
  • He talked highly of Nurse. Likes his physical game, skating, competitiveness and said he's got, "an evolving offensive game"
  • Monahan: said he really liked Monahan due to the 200 foot game. Said he's a really smart player and gave 100% every game this year despite being on a bad team. Also praised is ability to find ways to score when playing with lesser line mates.
  • Talked highly of the big Finn too (Rastalinen?). Said he liked that he's already played 2 years against mean. Makes a good first pass but doesn't see him as a PP QB. Liked that he's played "an important role" with lots of PK and some PP time this year.
  • He's happy with Moroz, Pitlick and Marincin's development. Believes Pitlick has really come on lately and he's seen steady improvement with Moroz. Also noted Moroz has been getting interest from other NHL teams

Old
05-07-2013, 05:11 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Stu just did an interview with Gregor too. Few things of note
  • He said "MacT has a lot of lines in the water" so they're meeting to prepare for a bunch of trade up/down scenarios and that's what they've discussed most of today.
  • He talked highly of Nurse. Likes his physical game, skating, competitiveness and said he's got, "an evolving offensive game"
  • Monahan: said he really liked Monahan due to the 200 foot game. Said he's a really smart player and gave 100% every game this year despite being on a bad team. Also praised is ability to find ways to score when playing with lesser line mates.
  • Talked highly of the big Finn too (Rastalinen?). Said he liked that he's already played 2 years against mean. Makes a good first pass but doesn't see him as a PP QB. Liked that he's played "an important role" with lots of PK and some PP time this year.
  • He's happy with Moroz, Pitlick and Marincin's development. Believes Pitlick has really come on lately and he's seen steady improvement with Moroz. Also noted Moroz has been getting interest from other NHL teams
Great. Now take some advice from Snoop Dogg:

Old
05-07-2013, 05:12 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Don't be surprised, if he played for a good WHL team he would have been over a PPG with solid two way play and the ability to throw bone crushing hits. Just saying
He does play on a good WHL team, imo likely the best with a full, healthy lineup. On this team, he is not primarily utilized for points production because of the depth of productive overagers playing in the prime production roles.

I'll be surprised if he falls out of the top 15, never mind out of the first round. There is no chance, none whatsoever, nil, that he falls to the 2nd round, imo.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:13 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
He does play on a good WHL team, imo likely the best with a full, healthy lineup. On this team, he is not primarily utilized for points production because of the depth of productive overagers playing in the prime production roles.

I'll be surprised if he falls out of the top 15, never mind out of the first round. There is no chance, none whatsoever, nil, that he falls to the 2nd round, imo.
I'm excited about the trade-up possibility when the team has two 2nd's in hand. I think they go hard after Lazar if they use the 7th on a defenseman.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:16 PM
jmoss45

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but impressive stuff from Zadorov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nSK...layer_embedded

Old
05-07-2013, 05:20 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but impressive stuff from Zadorov.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75nSK...layer_embedded
From watching some of his play me he reminds me a bit of a physically mature, defensively-orientated Martin Gernat. Big frame, big body, decent skater for his size that is better in his own zone than he is offensively. He's got that Gernat-like potential with his offense as well. Hasn't shown it yet with the same assertiveness, but his stick skills and shooting ability with the wrist shot are reminiscent IMO.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:22 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUFF View Post
MacGregor also said they'd consider a goaltender at either #37 or with Anaheim's 2nd. Have to think you'd see at least Jarry or Comrie on the board at that stage, possibly even Fucale.
I'm completely convinced we're taking Jarry with Anaheim's pick

Old
05-07-2013, 05:25 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

More offensive highlights from Zadorov. He's quite a bit slower than an 18-year old Gernat - likely due to weighing almost 50lb more than Gernat in his WHL rookie year. I wonder how much of that is the heavy baby weight some Russian players tend to have.

But the puck skills are there (like Gernat), and he's supposed to have excellent defensive-zone presence as well.

I'm really worried about his skating, though. All the offensive puck skills in the world won't do you any favors if you can't move with the puck.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUFF View Post
If Fucale is around at 37th I'd be very happy to take him. I'm a Dubnyk supporter but it's hard not to blow a 2nd on him when he's the clear cut best goalie in the draft. I think someones picks hi in the first though, and I don't know enough about Jarry or Comrie to comment.

Old
05-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Brewster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
From watching some of his play me he reminds me a bit of a physically mature, defensively-orientated Martin Gernat.
Imagine a Zadorov - Gernat pair should they both reach their respective potentials.

With our pick I still want either Monahan or Lindholm. Nurse would be nice, but I still prefer taking forwards in the top 10.

Closed Thread