HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Closed Thread

Old
05-08-2013, 12:19 AM
17Kurri

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Then they better be giving a pretty damn good piece back. Gagner alone is worth a top 10 pick. 2 top 10 picks for #5 should get McTavish fired on the spot.

Glad to hear McGregor speak so highly of Monahan and Nurse.
I think it's highly unlikely, probably impossible, that Gagner would command a return of a top 10 pick. I'm on the border of if he'd even fetch a 1st rounder anymore.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Spawn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I can remember being like 15 and somebody mentioning a rookie in the OHL names Taylor Hall ripping it up and thinking to myself, this is just what the Oilers need. Two years later... The same with Cogliano, when he made the WJC as a 16 year old I just had this feeling the Oilers needed him and would somehow get him.
Your time lines seem off haha... Cogliano was drafted 5 years before Hall.

Although I too remember once watching a segment on The Score about Taylor Hall the year before his draft year and there were comments about how if he was draft eligible that year some scouts would have him ranked #1 (the year Tavares went #1). Seems every year that the next crop of guys is going to be better... haha. I remember thinking simultaneously A) This Hall kid would be amazing and B) Not a chance the Oilers would get him.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:47 AM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I had a dream last summer where Barkov scores a goal in a playoff OT for the Oilers actually.
I had a dream a couple weeks before last years draft that the Oil won the cup with Vasilevski in net. Told my buddy the next day I was positive they'd end up with him for that reason. Looked pretty stupid come draft day.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:58 AM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Lots of people dreaming about underage boys in this thread. It's creeping me out.

Old
05-08-2013, 01:08 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTopper View Post
Lots of people dreaming about underage boys in this thread. It's creeping me out.
Haha so true

05-08-2013, 01:13 AM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Haha so true
Random aside, are there any good over-agers in the draft?

Those who've already been in the draft once or twice, but weren't picked up?

Old
05-08-2013, 01:25 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Yes, if that's what you meant, then I did mis-read what you were saying. I thought you were referring to Lazar.

Imo, Pulock is hit or miss. I'm not particularly high on him. In terms of dman, I'd take Jones, Nurse, Ristolainen, and Zadorov over him at this point. When I've watched some of his games, he hasn't done anything to stand out to me.
Hes a dman so it's a good thing if he doesn't stand out. Has a good first pass, best slapshot in the draft and top 10 for sure in the NHL, slightly above average skating, solid open ice hitter who's effective at separating the puck carrier from the puck in the defensive zone, NHL size at 18 and good hockey IQ. On top of that he's got a solid character which can be shown in his captaincy and the personal issues he had to deal with in his life. What's not to like about the kid?

Old
05-08-2013, 01:26 AM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post

Anton Slepyshev is one I know of. Good two way winger. To this day I cannot figure out why he wasn't picked, and mad the Oil didn't gamble on him with their 6th or 7th. He was 1st or 2nd round talent last year, but there's rumors he wouldn't come over until he's 22. Still worth a lower round pick IMO, could be a useful player on an ELC down the road if they end up having cap problems.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:08 AM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Hes a dman so it's a good thing if he doesn't stand out. Has a good first pass, best slapshot in the draft and top 10 for sure in the NHL, slightly above average skating, solid open ice hitter who's effective at separating the puck carrier from the puck in the defensive zone, NHL size at 18 and good hockey IQ. On top of that he's got a solid character which can be shown in his captaincy and the personal issues he had to deal with in his life. What's not to like about the kid?
He seems to be a personal favourite of yours. I can respect that.

He just doesn't do much for me, sorry.

Old
05-08-2013, 02:25 AM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
He seems to be a personal favourite of yours. I can respect that.

He just doesn't do much for me, sorry.
Any reason why? Am I missing something with this kid or is it just that deep of draft? To me the rest of the d men being mentioned are mostly defensive and might have a touch of offence where as Pulock could get you 20 goals and 30 assists while playing solid 2 way d. And there'd be no hoping he'd grow as he already has NHL size. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing in the NHL next year as a bottom pairing d man with 2nd unit PP time.

Old
05-08-2013, 04:57 AM
LaGu

Quote:

Viktor Arvidsson SAIK (SEL), 20 years old.

Played huge in the playoffs in SEL this year despite being played low minutes (generally 8-10 mins/G), especially when SAIK swept Lulea in the final (4 GP 2G 2A) and won the cup and have also had a good year with the Sweden U20 (21 GP 15 G 6 A).

Some SWE journalists seem to think he can go in the 2nd round, but I kind of doubt that. 3rd is more realistic. The problem is his size (5'9'' / 176lbs)... So he will probably not earn any support on these boards. I like him anyway but that could be because of my "Swedish-player-bias" .

Quote:
A smallish winger with good speed and impressive technical skills. Really noticeable on the ice with his creativity. Has a fine shot and potential to become a pretty high scoring player. Works pretty hard too and does not ignore his defensive responsibilities.

Old
05-08-2013, 05:09 AM
Heavy Dee

Would anyone trade yakupov to Florida for their first to draft mackinnon?

Old
05-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Dee View Post
Nope

No more than I would have traded Hall for Landeskog in 2011, or RNH for Murray in 2012.

There is nothing to suggest Mackinnon will be better than Yakupov, unless you are buying into the "shiny new toy" hype that tends to hit prior to every draft.

Old
05-08-2013, 06:21 AM
LaGu

Quote:
What?... Why?

EDIT: No.

Old
05-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Heavy Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
What?... Why?

EDIT: No.
Better balance in the lineup

Old
05-08-2013, 07:38 AM
darkwave09

vCash: 1651
No, Yak is my favorite Oiler

Old
05-08-2013, 07:42 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Better balance in the lineup
Yak is a proven talent in the NHL now. NM may or may not be despite his current hype. We are unbalanced everywhere anyways. Unless you can age NM about 6years by the draft, he won't help us.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:41 AM
The Perfect Human*

Yakupov played without Galchenyuk the entire 2011-2012 season and still put up almost the same point/game pace as Mackinnon, who was playing with wizard Jonathan Drouin on his line the entire year.

To me it's not even close as to who the better player is now and in the near future.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
40oz

Quote:

JC Lipon is another, should be a ~2nd rounder.

Old
05-08-2013, 08:49 AM
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic

Quote:
I think it's highly unlikely, probably impossible, that Gagner would command a return of a top 10 pick. I'm on the border of if he'd even fetch a 1st rounder anymore.
^Gagner would fetch a 1st rounder after showing what he did this season, but it would be mid round down i think, and only because i'm sure that other GM's are aware of his physical limitations. if one of them felt their team could function fine around that and still get Gagner's full scoring potential out of him, i could see them taking a chance, but the Oil would also need a roster player back as well, so it would likely be Gagner + for a 1st rounder + in return.

Old
05-08-2013, 10:27 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Sam Gagner has played at a 40-50 point pace his first 5 seasons and played at a 60-70 point pace this season. He's a legitimate 2nd line center who's also 2 years away from turning 25, and still has room to improve his totals. Since 2000, the 10th overall picks have been:
Mikhail Yakubov
Dan Blackburn
Eric Nystrom
Andrei Kostitsyn
Boris Valabik
Luc Bourdon
Michael Frolik
Keaton Ellerby
Cody Hodgson
Magnus Paajarvi
Dylan McIlrath
Slater Koekkoek
Only Hodgson and Brodin are worth more than Gagner. I'd say Gagner could pretty easily return a top 10 pick (no chance of returning a top 5 though).

Old
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
nexttothemoon
Streak Breakers Inc

Gagner is certainly worth a 1st on paper... but the reality is that you still have to find a team that's willing to make the trade... need a dance partner, two to tango etc.

Everyone in the NHL by now knows his pros and cons, smallish, not particularly speedy, defensively mediocre at best, plays with a lot of heart, decent hands... still is young enough to show more and possibly improve and take his game to another level (some would argue he went there this year... and yes for maybe 30 games he did).

I agree... alone he'd probably fetch a mid/late 1st from a team that's somewhat the opposite of the Oilers.... a team full of decent sized forwards and role players but wanting a bit more skill, a team that can afford to have a decent, smallish offensive player with some flaws and deficiencies in other areas of his game.

It isn't really a problem with Gagner, it's a problem with the Oilers having too many players that are too similar. It would very likely be better for Gagner as well if he was on a roster where he wasn't exposed for his deficiencies... but rather he was somewhere where he fit in like a missing puzzle piece with bigger more physical players which he could mesh with.

He very likely could have and would have already become that consistent 60+ pts per year player if he were on a team where he's not just one of many other offensively talented but smallish and non-gritty and defensively challenged forwards.

Old
05-08-2013, 12:18 PM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Frei!!!!

Quote:

I can only really speak for the WHL.

There's the usuals
Slepyshev (have to throw him in there)
Bell
Lipon

A couple guys that impressed me are
Jesse Forsberg - He's an absolute pain in the ass to play against. The type of guy you just despise when he's not on your team

Mitch Holmberg - he's small, but doesn't play like it and has good instincts

And as a Giants fan, the guys I like from them are

Cain Franson - Cody's little brother. Great sniper and has a bit of an edge

Dalton Sward - Hits everything and has pretty decent hands. Hasn't put up much offense, but the potential is there

Blake Orban - Loves to hit, loves to fight, and played big minutes after Musil got traded

Old
05-08-2013, 12:24 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
Viktor Arvidsson SAIK (SEL), 20 years old.

Played huge in the playoffs in SEL this year despite being played low minutes (generally 8-10 mins/G), especially when SAIK swept Lulea in the final (4 GP 2G 2A) and won the cup and have also had a good year with the Sweden U20 (21 GP 15 G 6 A).

Some SWE journalists seem to think he can go in the 2nd round, but I kind of doubt that. 3rd is more realistic. The problem is his size (5'9'' / 176lbs)... So he will probably not earn any support on these boards. I like him anyway but that could be because of my "Swedish-player-bias" .
Interesting. If he isn't drafted this year, a team could just straight up sign him?

Old
05-08-2013, 09:34 PM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Wondering if anyone here has seen the Guelph Storm play and what you think of Tyler Bertuzzi nephew of Todd Bertuzzi..from what I heard he's very gritty but is definitely a project (6 feet 178lbs)..
Maybe a third/fourth round pick?

Closed Thread