HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Closed Thread

Old
05-13-2013, 03:43 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
If management is that high on Lazar, find a way to move up from one of the 2nds. Trading down just never works out.

Was it already posted about Tampa Bay having Nichushkin ranked #1, depending on how they're interviews go?
Yeah I brought that up a couple pages ago. If that's the case, I see no way Nash passes on Drouin with the troubles they have scoring. That's the point where you better hope MacT finds a way to trade up with Carolina to grab Barkov.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Rattie's speed isnt a problem. Its one of his strengths.
In juniors sure but in the NHL I think it will be. Look at him at the bigger tournaments....he is at times invisible because he is up against players that are just as skilled but bigger than him. In the NHL he will have the exact same thing.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Qrispy

I think Rattie will be a decent player in the NHL. 50-60 points a season probably. I don't really see any elite attributes in him and he doesn't play bigger than his size.

Old
05-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Bergeron47

1. Colorado - Jones
2. Florida - Mackinnon
3. Tampa Bay - Nickushkin
4. Nashville - Drouin
5. Carolina - Nurse
6. Calgary - Monahan
7. Edmonton - Barkov

Would make me smitten.
I find it strange that some people are predicting Flanes to choose Lindholm over Monahan. Yikes

Old
05-13-2013, 03:56 PM
dnicks17

Other than Ryan Murphy, I'm not sure if Rutherford has picked a defenseman in the 1st round.

Nurse to Carolina might be a stretch.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
DousedInOil

Monahan coming up on the Jason Gregor show.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Distinct

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Other than Ryan Murphy, I'm not sure if Rutherford has picked a defenseman in the 1st round.

Nurse to Carolina might be a stretch.
Pretty sure he drafted Jack Johnson first round in 05

Old
05-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Lists of first round busts are littered with "safe" picks. And since when is Lazar a "solid bet" to be an O'Reilly type? No scouting service would have him out of the top ten if that was the case.
What gives you the impression that Lazar isn't a solid bet to be an O'Reilly type of player? According to many around the hockey world Lazar already has an NHL shot, excellent skating, both in speed and fundamentals, and he is regarded for his two way game and play away from the puck. He's a character guy no less. These are the types of players you take a risk on, not the guy that you hope scores 100 points one day in the best league in the world.

Lists of first round busts are also littered with "projectable" and "upside" type of players. Refocus your expectations of what the 7th overall pick is going to bring you. Perhaps watch this kid play. I, Like IATL, had Oil Kings season tickets for the last two years, and Lazar is a terrific hockey player.

I wouldn't hesitate to put money on the fact that Lazar's career resembles O'Reilly's in a greater way than Darnell Nurse compares to Pronger at the end.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for... but a few "composite" rankings can be found here from various ranking sources:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/13/2013...eri-nichushkin

and

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-d...spect-rankings

...which make up this:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-d...ensus-rankings

...and here's a bunch of other ranking links:

http://dcprosportsreport.com/NHLMocks.htm
YES! Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Monahan coming up on the Jason Gregor show.
Thanks for the heads up, man he's an impressive kid.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:20 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Original View Post

I wouldn't hesitate to put money on the fact that Lazar's career resembles O'Reilly's in a greater way than Darnell Nurse compares to Pronger at the end.
Except Pronger is one of the best dman of the past 30 years while RoR doesn't come close to that level.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:23 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
Pretty sure he drafted Jack Johnson first round in 05
Ah, good call.

That's probably where his fear of taking defenseman in the 1st round started.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Except Pronger is one of the best dman of the past 30 years while RoR doesn't come close to that level.
Exactly my point. I would rather feel (reasonably) confident I was getting O'Reilly, than hope Nurse and his upside compared to Pronger.

But that's just my take. I don't have all the answers, but some people caught up in upside and projection need to take a step back and look at the history of the draft, and realize just how many of these guys turn into elite players. If I'm not getting an elite guy, I want to be damn sure I get a guy that can do all those other little things to make himself an effective NHL hockey player.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I like this mock and think it is realistic.

Regarding Nsh and Drouin.....has Nsh ever drafted a winger in the 1st rd? (Or even the 2nd rd?)

They seem to be a team that values D and then centers so I would expect them to take Barkov over Drouin if given the choice.
They've drafted quite a few in the 1st and 2nd. Hartnell, Radulov, Upshall, 3 wingers in the 2nd round past 2 years.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:34 PM
dnicks17

The Nurse/Pronger comparisons really just stems from size and nastiness. It's a style comparison a lot more than a career projection, I would say.

A more realistic comparable in the latter sense is probably something like Braydon Coburn.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:42 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Nurse/Pronger comparisons really just stems from size and nastiness. It's a style comparison a lot more than a career projection, I would say.

A more realistic comparable in the latter sense is probably something like Braydon Coburn.
If Nurse was like Pronger then I'd hope that the guys in front of him being drafted are Forsberg, Lindross, Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr and Messier.

Old
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:

I can live with that. So let's say O'Reilly and Coburn are the end comparable for these guys, Lazar and Nurse. Which fills the organizational need, and which is the BPA? It's not as far off of an argument as some are making it out to seem.

Old
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
They've drafted quite a few in the 1st and 2nd. Hartnell, Radulov, Upshall, 3 wingers in the 2nd round past 2 years.
Martin Erat in 1999 as well

Old
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Exactly my point. I would rather feel (reasonably) confident I was getting O'Reilly, than hope Nurse and his upside compared to Pronger.

But that's just my take. I don't have all the answers, but some people caught up in upside and projection need to take a step back and look at the history of the draft, and realize just how many of these guys turn into elite players. If I'm not getting an elite guy, I want to be damn sure I get a guy that can do all those other little things to make himself an effective NHL hockey player.
Which happens to be something we are sorely lacking. Tbh Nurse would provide something we are sorely lacking as well. I have seen more of Lazar though, so I am more comfortable knowing what I would be getting with him.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
I can live with that. So let's say O'Reilly and Coburn are the end comparable for these guys, Lazar and Nurse. Which fills the organizational need, and which is the BPA? It's not as far off of an argument as some are making it out to seem.
If the Oilers really, genuinely love Lazar then they should have no qualms at picking him at 7. I however refuse to believe that they love him more than some of the other players at that spot. I do believe the Oilers are influenced by the fact that they own the junior team and that is not a good thing.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I completely agree with you.

I would have no problem taking Lazar(or even Horvat) in the latter half of the top 10.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Question, then why did Florida move him to wing? Not like Florida is littered with good centers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haterbehatin View Post
Sometimes it's a temporary move because a team thinks a player isin't ready to handle the stress of centre ice. Sometimes because they think they're not strong enough or mentally ready to handle the position the Leafs did it with Kadri I know there are many more examples but he's the easiest to recall off the top of my head.
Exactly. Zibanejad was playing wing originally but proved he's actually better at center, that's usually what teams do with young centers. Turris was playing wing as well in pheonix. now he's a good #2.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Distinct

If Lazar played for The Tri-City Americans, I don't think we would even be discussing the possibility of drafting him over players such as Nurse and Lindholm. The fact that he is an Oil King, raises his value to this fan base tremendously.

Old
05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
If Lazar played for The Tri-City Americans, I don't think we would even be discussing the possibility of drafting him over players such as Nurse and Lindholm. The fact that he is an Oil King, raises his value to this fan base tremendously.
I actually don't think that plays too much into it.

It's not like he's some borderline 2nd rounder getting hyped up. ISS has him at #12 and Bob McKenzie said he's just outside of his top10.

He's the exact type of player the Oilers need and he's ranked right around where they're picking. Makes sense why his name always comes up.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If the Oilers really, genuinely love Lazar then they should have no qualms at picking him at 7. I however refuse to believe that they love him more than some of the other players at that spot. I do believe the Oilers are influenced by the fact that they own the junior team and that is not a good thing.
I agree. Devil you know vs. devil you don't.

Old
05-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Distinct

Quote:
I actually don't think that plays too much into it.

It's not like he's some borderline 2nd rounder getting hyped up. ISS has him at #12 and Bob McKenzie said he's just outside of his top10.

He's the exact type of player the Oilers need and he's ranked right around where they're picking. Makes sense why his name always comes up.
Fair point, I still think there's a bit of a love fest, since he's an oil king and fans have seen him "grow up". At the end of the day, the Oilers should take the best player available; taking in to account that the top 8 is supposedly a large step above the rest of the pack.

Closed Thread