HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "Falling Flat for Horvat"

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 03:12 AM
Bryanbryoil
Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
I'd almost bet money that Lindholm goes first.
I haven't seen much of either player besides highlights, but based on that alone I'd take Lindholm first despite the fact that Monahan has a couple of inches of height on him. I'd be thrilled to land either at #7 though truth be told.

05-02-2013, 07:17 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I haven't seen much of either player besides highlights, but based on that alone I'd take Lindholm first despite the fact that Monahan has a couple of inches of height on him. I'd be thrilled to land either at #7 though truth be told.
That makes two of us.

05-02-2013, 07:37 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
As would I. If the Oilers had the chance between Lindholm and Monahan everything I read suggests you take Lindholm there.
If we were any other team, sure. But for the Oilers, I'd go with the 67.

Old
05-02-2013, 07:48 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That makes two of us.
Three.

Maybe I'm wrong about this but I find it hard to believe that one of these players will not be available at 7th overall. Colorado will obviously take S.Jones and furthermore, in agreement with Button's list, I think that neither Tampa nor Carolina will go for a center (unless it's MacKinnon but that would mean that Florida went for a non-center and we'd still have one of the two available). If one of them goes of the reservation and do take a center then Nashville won't and we're still ok .

edit: Worst case scenario (which won't happen) we take Nurse at 7 and trade up for Lazar. Damn, this is too easy

Last edited by LaGu: 05-02-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

MacT should keep the pick. The Oilers could make improvements in the summer through the draft and UFA market. There are some RFA options as well. Here are some possibilities for a line up that I'd consider pushing for, and then address other needs through trade:

Hall 6 - RNH (injured) 3.8 / Gagner 5 - Eberle 6
PRV 3 - Lindholm (draft) or Monahan (draft) or Cody Hodgeson (RFA) 5 or Tyler Kennedy (RFA) 3.35 or Kyle Clifford (RFA) 3.35 - Yakupov 3.8
Hartikainen 1 - Horcoff 5.5 - Stalberg (UFA) 4.5 or Clarkson (UFA) 4.5 or Horton (UFA) 6 or Hemsky 5
Bickell 2 (UFA) - Lapierre 1.3 (UFA)- Brown 1

Hainsey (UFA) 4 - J. Schultz 3.8
Smid 3.5 - Petry 1.7
Klefbom 1.3 - Sanguinetti (UFA) 1.6 or Ristolainen (draft, if the Oilers do not select a centre)

Dubnyk 3.5
Khudobin (UFA) 1.2

Trades: Hemsky should be dealt, if an upgrade can be had through the UFA market.
Buy-out considerations: Horcoff

Last edited by Hockey Buddha: 05-02-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
Oilfan2
13.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
MacT should keep the pick. The Oilers could make improvements in the summer through the draft and UFA market. There are some RFA options as well. Here are some possibilities for a line up that I'd consider pushing for, and then address other needs through trade:

PRV 3 - Lindholm (draft) or Monahan (draft) or Cody Hodgeson (RFA) 5 or Tyler Kennedy (RFA) 3.35 or Kyle Clifford (RFA) 3.35 - Yakupov 3.8
Hartikainen 1 - Horcoff 5.5 - Stalberg (UFA) 4.5 or Clarkson (UFA) 4.5 or Horton (UFA) 6 or Hemsky 5

Smid 3.5 - Petry 1.7
Klefbom 1.3 - Sanguinetti (UFA) 1.6 or Ristolainen (draft, if the Oilers do not select a centre)

Dubnyk 3.5
Khudobin (UFA) 1.2

Trades: Hemsky should be dealt, if an upgrade can be had through the UFA market.
Top line is still way too small and not going to work as is..

There won't be any players available at 7th that will help this team next season. At the very least they're 2-3 years away. The pick will probably be traded for immediate help. If not and we pick someone, don't expect to see them in next year's lineup.

We're not getting Hodgson, Kennedy is another small winger and a 3rd line player.

Doubt if Clifford is available and if he is, he's still a 3rd line player.

Horcoff has to be bought out and the money used to shore up other areas of need.

If Hainsey is on our top 2, we're not going to be much better than last season..

Last edited by Oilfan2: 05-02-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 09:26 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:

Smid 3.5 - Petry 1.7

Dubnyk 3.5
Khudobin (UFA) 1.2

Not perfect, but I like the idea of adding Kennedy to the bottom-6, he's a healthy scrap in Pit and migh be available, and I do like the idea of adding Hainsey to the depth on the blueline.

Old
05-02-2013, 09:52 AM
doubledown99

Listened to Stauffers show on May 1st.

Said talks to Oiler scouts all the time. Said wont reveal who they like. He likes Monahan lots. Also like Nurse. Thinks Car might take Nurse at 5.

I can see a trade between Car and Edm.

7th overall + both 2nd rounders
For
5th overall and McBain

At 5 we would then take Monahan. Rutherford had interview with Observer this week (check it out if you can). Says wants better d. Said had d in miscast roles. Also said wants tougher d (so im reading into this comment....moving McBain makes sense there)

Old
05-02-2013, 09:59 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post

Said talks to Oiler scouts all the time. Said wont reveal who they like. He likes Monahan lots. Also like Nurse. Thinks Car might take Nurse at 5.

For
5th overall and McBain

At 5 we would then take Monahan. Rutherford had interview with Observer this week (check it out if you can). Says wants better d. Said had d in miscast roles. Also said wants tougher d (so im reading into this comment....moving McBain makes sense there)
Maybe the Oilers could include Peckham as well, tougher Defenseman, to help the value, so maybe they can keep one of the 2nds.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:03 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I don't think Lindholm would be a bad pick at all, but a large part of Monahan's game is faceoffs and defensive play, which are things most people don't put into a youtube compilation.

Old
05-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Oilfan2
13.5%

Quote:

For
5th overall and McBain

Useless to move to 5 unless one of the top 4 fall...If not, they'll get the same thing at 7 as at 5..Certainly not worth the 2nds..

Old
05-02-2013, 10:15 AM
frag2

Quote:

Smid 3.5 - Petry 1.7

Dubnyk 3.5
Khudobin (UFA) 1.2

Paajarvi will not get 3. If he does, MacT needs to be hurricane kicked

Old
05-02-2013, 10:18 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
Useless to move to 5 unless one of the top 4 fall...If not, they'll get the same thing at 7 as at 5..Certainly not worth the 2nds..
Agreed. Plus, if we need tougher D just as much as Carolina does, if McBain is a problem in that category, why would it be any different for us?

Last edited by ponokanocker: 05-02-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Agreed. Plus, if we need tougher D just as much as Carolina does, if McBain is a problem in that category, why would it be any different for us?
Indeed, but the Oilers need BETTER defense, and if McBain can be an upgrade, that's not a bad thing.

Plus, if you can basically guarantee getting one of Monahan or Lindholm, you're in good shape if you're the Oilers, imo.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:31 AM
CROTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Sure why not, its a 5th rounder, but he will probably be a 3rd rounder.
A 20 year old that had a good year on a high scoring team, sounds like something Barry Fraser would do...

Old
05-02-2013, 11:38 AM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Out of all the players who could possibly go at seven, who can grow the best playoff beard?

I think that should be a factor going forward.

Old
05-02-2013, 11:45 AM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Out of all the players who could possibly go at seven, who can grow the best playoff beard?

I think that should be a factor going forward.
It's not like we're ever going to make the playoffs...

Old
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
It's not like we're ever going to make the playoffs...

Not with that dirty Nuge moustache...

Old
05-02-2013, 12:23 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
This post is so much fail. There is no guarantee at 7. If your scouts rank Monahan that highly, you go get him. Not risk hoping he falls to 7.

And lol at you guys for saying no to a puck moving dman like McBain. THE OILERS SUCK AT THR TRANSITION GAME! If you can get a puck moving dman you do it. We don't have 6 competent dmen in the first place.....

Sometimes I just shake my head at HFOil

Old
05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
This post is so much fail. There is no guarantee at 7. If your scouts rank Monahan that highly, you go get him. Not risk hoping he falls to 7.

And lol at you guys for saying no to a puck moving dman like McBain. THE OILERS SUCK AT THR TRANSITION GAME! If you can get a puck moving dman you do it. We don't have 6 competent dmen in the first place.....

Sometimes I just shake my head at HFOil
While this might be true, it's an overpay to move up two spots. I'd do something along those lines if MacKinnon or Barkov drop to 5, but really Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadorov and Nichushkin are ranked so closely that it's really not worth the overpay.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:00 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Has Arrived

I think our 2nd rounder is getting undervalued pretty badly.

The 1st/2nd round is so deep this year that that pick is about the equivalent of a mid 1st in most other years, in my opinion.

Hell, you'll probably see typical late 1st round type of talents on the board at Anaheim's pick even.

Old
05-02-2013, 01:07 PM
McCupofOil
McJesus Has Risen!!!

Quote:
I'm not sure where you get the idea that 7 and 5 are the same thing, 2 players will be off the board between 5 and 7 and quite possibly one of the prospects that they are interested in.
If they think that Calgary will take Monahan at 6 then it makes sense to trade up 2 spots to get their guy and it seems that Monahan is their guy which i can understand since he's everything that they need at center. I don't think that the price of going from 7 to 5 will be that outrageous.
I doubt that the Oilers take Lindholm TBH so if they are targeting Monahan and think he'll be gone, go get him.

Last edited by McCupofOil: 05-02-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
05-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Musashi

Stauffer talking to AJ Jakubec from Ottawa about Monahan and nothing but big praise. Keeps talking about how impressive he was last year in the playoffs and how he completely shut down Scheifele and says 50/50 he's in the nhl next year.

It's a good listen

Old
05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Quote:
not really.. #5 pretty much guarantees us Monahan if we are high on him.. Also a outside shot at one of the 'big 4' .. #7 we could be drafting Nichushkin\Nurse

Old
05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Oilfan2
13.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
not really.. #5 pretty much guarantees us Monahan if we are high on him.. Also a outside shot at one of the 'big 4' .. #7 we could be drafting Nichushkin\Nurse
I'm not any higher on Monahan than any of the others around him..Nichushkin, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Zadorov or Nurse. IMO, they're all too close to call and either one could be the better player in a few years. That's for the paid experts to determine.

As I said, if one of the big 4 drop, fine, you have yourself a deal. Otherwise you've taken a player (or comparable) that you could have gotten with your own pick.
AND you now have no picks in the 2nd, 3rd and fourth rounds because you gave up the 2 x 2nds in the deal.
If MacT can make players out of those picks, fine, but I wouldn't be giving them away in this scenario.

I just don't think it's worth it.

Closed Thread