HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Hypothetical Draft Scenario

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2005, 01:25 PM
pld459666

vCash: 500
I don't see Sid

getting dealt under any circumstance.

Especially if Pitt get's the selection.

They are a horrible draw, but with a young marketable players learning the game from Mario, you have a marketer's dream scenario

If Washington were to get the pick, Pushing both AO and Sid would be something even the folks over at the Apprentice can handle that assignment.

The only way Sid ends up in NY is when the league fixes the draft and the Rangers get the selection.

Old
05-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
we could conceivably advance to the point where we fall out of contention for Kessel, i.e. out of the lottery. I guess what I failed to add is that the 8-12 picked player would have to be a guaranteed stud. At 8-12, my feeling is that he is not going to be all that much better than the players would would select in the 2nd round, especially if they invert the order. Here's a thought though. What if we fall out of the Crosby lottery and end up somewhere around 3-5 in the 1st round. Do you trade, or more importantly would someone be willing to trade the #1 overall for our 3-5 pick, plus the #2's, plus Big Al?
3 points...

1) No matter how many studs we pick in the next draft, we will still be in the running for Kessel, Frolik, and Joensuu in 2006, you can bet on that.

2) I disagree on the weak 8-12 point. I think there's a considerable dropoff after 12 and many of those players could be available in the 2nd round, but within that top twelve there are some high-end guys the caliber of which will not be available later.

3) Unless the Rangers win the lottery, we are not getting Crosby. No package we could conceivably put together would entice any team to trade away the no.1 overall.

Old
05-03-2005, 04:52 PM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599
Now, given what I consider to be pretty good depth in the NYR prospect pool, would you, facing this scenario, be willing to trade all three second round picks to grab another high pick (probably in the 8-12 range)? If that package wasn't enough, would you be willing to throw in something extra (prospects excluded)?
I would "2" 2nd rounders and a good prospect for a first, absolutley.

Old
05-03-2005, 06:33 PM
NYR469

the rangers need QUALITY, not quantity...we have quantity and have tons of depth

we need elite top end talented, adding 10 more 3rd/4th line role players will do us ZERO good.

so if there is a reasonable deal to jump up and get another bluechipper than you gotta do it, no question about it...but i agree with those that say you don't trade up just for the sake of saying you traded up.

we need 1st line forwards and a true #1 dman, the other parts are already in the system

Old
05-03-2005, 06:36 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
Am I just out of touch with the draft world?

Entry Drafts have never gone in reverse order from round to round. They've always been 1-30, 1-30, 1-30, not 1-30, 30-1, etc.

Are people talking about it being reverse for this particular draft because of the CBA situation?
that would be special for this year since the draft order will be determined without a season, instead of giving the same teams the top picks in every round they will do a reverse order to make it more fair to teams that get unlucky when they determine the draft order...

and with us holding toronto and philly's 2nd round picks that works great for us.

Old
05-04-2005, 07:13 AM
Taz

Well my opinion is that, with our 1st, and 3 2nd round picks. We should get at least have a top 8 pick, with the 3 2nd round picks trade 2 away plus a so-so player for another first in around the 12-15 round range, then use the last 2nd

With these i would be looking for us to get a legit top line forward, and a Top line Defenceman then a project top line forward.

this is what we need and i think we should trade up to get it.

and yes next season when it does arrive we will suck, our defence right now is awful, who knows abour our keepers... and our forwards are likely to have no chemistry and be very inexperienced. so expect another high draft pick next draft too.

but i do see the Rangers getting real good if a few key players pan out in 2-3 years.

(Lundqvist, Immonen, Korpido, Jessiman, Dawes, Kondratiev )

Old
05-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Master Lok

I would not. First of all, while the Rangers have some actual depth in prospects, not all of them will pan out. In fact, few will actually make it to the NHL level and play an appreciable number of games. So having more second round depth players is not a bad idea. Its basically picking up another lottery ticket.

Secondly, from what I've heard in regards to the 2005 draft, that there are some very good players at the top, the difference between the 15th player and the 40th player may not be that big. A higher pick might just get you who you want, but the alternative is not that bad. Why not have more kicks at the cat then?

Old
05-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
we could conceivably advance to the point where we fall out of contention for Kessel, i.e. out of the lottery. I guess what I failed to add is that the 8-12 picked player would have to be a guaranteed stud. At 8-12, my feeling is that he is not going to be all that much better than the players would would select in the 2nd round, especially if they invert the order. On the other hand I don't want us duplicating more of what we have, bottom 2nd liners, mostly 3rd liners. Unless the 8-12 is a quality dman, I'm more inclined to pass.

We also have to remember about UFA's and what Slats and company will do on that front. I think we view the process a bit unattached, while they also have to run a business and put fannies in the seats.

Here's a thought though. What if we fall out of the Crosby lottery and end up somewhere around 3-5 in the 1st round. Do you trade, or more importantly would someone be willing to trade the #1 overall for our 3-5 pick, plus the #2's, plus Big Al?
#1 Crosby is more or less a pipe dream, but if we did get him he'd be playing regardless. Adding another 8-12 wouldnt take us out of contention for Kessel at all. Evn if you got JackJohnson at 3 he wouldnt be playing the next year so thinking that 8-12 will take us out of contention is not true. Also, with or without Crosby I think we'll be better then most think. Not playoffs at all, but with solid goaltending we could be 5th - 8th worst record. You dont draft by planning who is availble next year - we could get Kessel or Frolik... or not. You have to remember MANY things happen during the season, and lets not forget the lottery.

There is a big change from 8-12 and 2nd rounders. Look at the last draft... do you want Tukkonen or Byers and Olver. I'll take Tukkonen hands down. Zagrapan, Kopitar, Latendresse etc.. is a big diff then what we'd land at 40th overall. With that said you only move up if there is someone avail you feel strongly about.

Closed Thread