HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 12:46 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Yeah but the question is will he stay that way? That level of energy is good if he can maintain it. If he gets himself involved early he's golden but often if he doesn't he's just a passenger.

Plus it's the playoffs. I can't imagine him playing that well on a team that isn't making the playoffs.
Torres was better at EVpts/60mins then every Oiler this year except Hall. Not too atypical either. What people don't recognize is Torres gets his pts on limited minutes, lots of bottomsix, and very little PP(he's no good there anyway but an effective EV player.)

He's always been a pretty reasonable EV player. Good skater, gets into open chances for fun. What he's adding is a lot more activity around the net again. He's a handful to get out of the crease. Always been strong on his skates.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:48 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Well let's hope he keeps it up. If the Sharks lose this series then their window is officially slammed shut.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Well let's hope he keeps it up. If the Sharks lose this series then their window is officially slammed shut.
AS much as I'd like the Sharks to sweep I figure they trade games in SJ and it goes back to Vancouver with Nucks on the ropes. Nucks aren't all that good at staving off elimination games. Especially at home..

Old
05-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
So is the Canucks', for the most part.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
05-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
So is the Canucks', for the most part.
Sedins look like tired little dead things.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:51 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
AS much as I'd like the Sharks to sweep I figure they trade games in SJ and it goes back to Vancouver with Nucks on the ropes. Nucks aren't all that good at staving off elimination games. Especially at home..
The only thing this series is missing is a hat trick for the opposing team.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:52 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
2/3 of those players were a disaster in their final years. Stoll at least had the concussion issue, but I don't think Torres is an "Edmonton" kind of guy.
They were also playing outside of their ideal roles when it happened.

Cogliano was stuck on a wannabe-scoring 3rd line with some random assortment of Hemsky, Gagner, and Penner for most of the season.

Torres was injured for about 50 games that year, and never got back into a groove. That being said, he and Stoll were both traded at a time they were turning into 3rd line players. It feels like everyone was so upset that they weren't scoring 25+ goals and 50+ points, and wanted them out - but regardless they were amazing 2-way players. Torres-Stoll-Pisani is a big reason why those 06-08 Oiler teams somehow never finished in last place without elite talent. That kind of grit is irreplaceable.

Glencross and Brodziak emerge, and suddenly Stoll+Torres become expendable. Glencross gets let go of and Brodziak has one tough 15-20 game stretch a year later and gets traded for picks.

Amazing how many elite-level 3rd line talent has come through this organization, only to be let go of because this team seems to be looking for 3 lines of skill players.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:53 AM
Chooch

Kesler backs up his talking and turns into Jesus.

Canucks take the lead.

...And lose in OT.

--

What an absolute troll by the Sharks.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Fuhryous

Looking at the Canucks' last 10 games, they are 3-7 (1 OT/SO loss) and have lost 4 straight going back to regulation.

Plus, I believe this loss runs their home game playoff losing streak to 6 now.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:58 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Game 7 SCF losses are devastating.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:07 AM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Game 7 SCF losses are devastating.
Seemingly for that particular team and its fan base. The hockey gods are indeed giving them the frowning of a lifetime for the way they behaved (again) after that loss.

Just imagine if Luongo did get dealt to Toronto last month. Scrivens would be their guy right now with Schneider injured for who knows how long. I'd say SJ would still be up 2-0, but by winning the games in a much more convincing fashion.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:08 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
Seemingly for that particular team and its fan base. The hockey gods are indeed giving them the frowning of a lifetime for the way they behaved (again) after that loss.

Just imagine if Luongo did get dealt to Toronto last month. Scrivens would be their guy right now with Schneider injured for who knows how long. I'd say SJ would still be up 2-0, but by winning the games in a much more convincing fashion.
I'm not just talking about them.

Detroit hasn't been back to the Cup Final since. Calgary and Edmonton aren't even making the playoffs, and the Canucks just can't do anything in the playoffs now.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:09 AM
40oz

Did anyone miss the gun show?

Oh Anaheim

Old
05-04-2013, 01:10 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

It's irritating how few fans in Anaheim have the Mighty Ducks jerseys.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:20 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

Quote:
It's irritating how few fans in Anaheim have the Mighty Ducks jerseys.
Those jerseys were the best.

I wish they had kept the Mighty Ducks name and jersey.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
It really is amusing watching Nuck fans jump off the bandwagon. The Sharks won the first two games against us in '06 too, but we came back and won the series.

Hopefully the Nucks get down on themselves and lose the series, the Sharks are getting beat up and worked hard.

Old
05-04-2013, 02:45 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
It really is amusing watching Nuck fans jump off the bandwagon. The Sharks won the first two games against us in '06 too, but we came back and won the series.

Hopefully the Nucks get down on themselves and lose the series, the Sharks are getting beat up and worked hard.
I don't know if it's necessarily jumping off, but fans are already calling the series and looking forward to changes in the off-season. Some people legitimately think the Sedins may be on their way out. I doubt Vancouver gets a good return on those guys - perhaps the Blues may have some interest, just to have some top-flight scoring talent. Some combination of Berglund, Stewart, Shattenkirk and a 1st for the twins.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:11 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I don't know if it's necessarily jumping off, but fans are already calling the series and looking forward to changes in the off-season. Some people legitimately think the Sedins may be on their way out. I doubt Vancouver gets a good return on those guys - perhaps the Blues may have some interest, just to have some top-flight scoring talent. Some combination of Berglund, Stewart, Shattenkirk and a 1st for the twins.
The Sedins are UFAs in 2014, so if the Canucks were gonna trade them now would be the time.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:57 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

should be interesting to see what Vancouver does next.

A few of their fans are starting to get a little pissy on the main boards, but they are quickly replacing the sharks as the chock artists in the playoffs. Out in the first round last year, they were lucky to get by the hawks in the cup run year, hawks TKOD them in back to back years in the second round

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
05-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Wow, no way the Blues do that.

Old
05-04-2013, 06:32 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

took two games but on the main board things are starting to get fun

Old
05-04-2013, 09:38 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Surprised Boston never went after a guy like Torres. He seems like exactly their kind of guy.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sedins look like tired little dead things.
They aren't spring chickens anymore either. You have to wonder if they can be the focal point in leading a team to a championship anymore. And when the Sedins go down, so does Vancouver.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:14 AM
GDU

i find it hilarious canucks fans are talking about blowing up their team after winning the division, again...

Their gm is to blame 100%, he gets that luongo trade done in the offseason they have kadri and picks to deal at tdd...

they do need to retool a bit, but who can they really trade? can't trade kelser he's your best player, can't trade the sedins, they're your first line... luongo's value is lower than its ever been...

for a deep team they don't have much in the way of movable assets, i'd say the canucks are about 2years away from becoming...

Old
05-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post

With the only difference being the Sharks were the home team those first two games. From the Canucks position, it is tougher to come back from 2-0 when you go on the road. San Jose needs to bury them in game 3 and not give them any sense of hope in game 4. Vancouver had a combined record of 11-13 on the road this year, and San Jose only lost an NHL best two home games in regulation. That said, San Jose only won 8 road games all season too and they managed to match a 1/4 of those wins in their first two road games in the playoffs, so anything can happen.

I seen a blurb on TSN that Van has never come back to win a 7 game series when trailing 2-0. No point in starting to change things now .

Closed Thread