HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League Pt 4: Official 2013 Playoffs: Canucks are done

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Philly85
Moody'

vCash: 500
Watching Malkin and Hamonic go at it in the corner was beautiful... playoff hockey baby, I'm so jealous... so intense, best sport in the world...

Old
05-05-2013, 12:42 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Alright ladies settle down.

This PIT/NYI game is very entertaining. Just good all round hockey. Crosby looks possessed at moments.

2 interesting players on the Islanders today who keep popping up, Cisikas (who? lol) and Grabner who has been all over the place and extremely physical. Really impressed what I see there.

Anyways its a back and forth game, would suggest people to catch a bit of it , I know it's going to be a beautiful day but the game should be over by 1.
It is a great game, just as good as any Western game.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This guy just probably became a hockey fan last year. You know..cough.....

bandwagon.
Didn't mean to sound so crude but since when are Leafs fans any kind of authority when it comes to the Oilers? Their record of futility in the last decade mirrors our own.

I don't care if they lucked themselves into a playoff spot in a weak conference in a lockout-shortened season. Doesn't make that franchise any less of a cautionary tale.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:46 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
It's pretty much an established fact the Eastern Conference is far weaker than the West. The Kings would roll any of those teams in a playoff series.
Makes no sense, if you want say that the WC is more defensive fine but the EC is more offensive. Here are no facts to prove your point just stats interpretations.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:50 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Makes no sense, if you want say that the WC is more defensive fine but the EC is more offensive. Here are no facts to prove your point just stats interpretations.
The EC is more offensive BECAUSE it's less defensive.

There isn't a single Kings/Blues/Wild/Coyotes team in the East. Not one.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
timekeep

Quote:
I don't watch Eastern conference games much because theres little point to it. The EC playoffs are a joke this year. EC defensive stats were a joke all year.

The good hockey is being played in the West. Thats what I'm glued to.
Actually, since you are an authority on the strength of conferences, don't you think it would make your argument stronger if you viewed the other conference? So there is a point, but it is your loss as they just as entertaining as the WC.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
It is a great game, just as good as any Western game.
The Pens are holding up a club that 7 teams in the west would Crush with solid system play.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Actually, since you are an authority on the strength of conferences, don't you think it would make your argument stronger if you viewed the other conference? So there is a point, but it is your loss as they just as entertaining as the WC.
tbh I don't take much enjoyment out of games that lack attention to all round play. I feel kind of cheated when watching such games. As if the teams playing them don't care enough to play effective team play.

When teams just trade goals it looks more like an allstar game then teams playing well.

Hockey is a team sport and I prefer watching teams that play it that way.

Very few hockey teams that focus only on the offense ever end up winning anything

Game 2 in the STL/LA series was a damn classic. Pretty much perfect hockey. Two teams playing hockey very well going at it with everything they got.

Old
05-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Do you seriously think someone like Kadri would have similar stats if he played all his games in the WC this year?

Old
05-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Matt Ryan
Falcons Rise Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
This is subjective.

Bruins and Leafs are playing an emotional series, which is why it's damn exciting. They're leaving everything on the ice, and that's why it looks wild. Two original six teams, and they're giving it their all. Of course it's not going to be the 'neatest' hockey.

The series' in the East are far better than the ones in the West. 12 teams in the East had either a winning record or .500 record against the West last year. The same for the West.
i mean I know it's subjective, but so is everything else...

Look, I'm not saying it was a bad game because it wasn't. It was thoroughly entertaining until the end, and I value that.

Admittedly, it did get better as the game progressed, but there were so many errors. There were a ton of errant passes, a ton of dumb turnovers, etc.

The Oilers would probably do the same, but I dont see that from teams as much in the west.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:01 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
The EC is more offensive BECAUSE it's less defensive.

There isn't a single Kings/Blues/Wild/Coyotes team in the East. Not one.
And the WC is more defensive because its less offensive? Give me a break, people saying the Bruins get rolled in the WC.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
And the WC is more defensive because its less offensive? Give me a break, people saying the Bruins get rolled in the WC.
Nobody said the Bruins would get rolled in the WC. I am saying 7 WC teams would have no trouble whatsoever taking apart the Leafs.

Solid system play wins series in the playoffs.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:03 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Not at all. There are more teams built on offense in the East than West. The Coyotes aren't going to outscore their opponents so they have to play a grinding defensive game that wears teams down.

Plus look at the calibre of goalies and system play. The Coyotes made Bryzgalov look like a Vezina canidate. He goes to Philly and looks like Toskala. Meanwhile... Bobrovsky, and afterthought in Philly, comes to the Jackets and plays like he's Patrick Roy.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:08 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Do you seriously think someone like Kadri would have similar stats if he played all his games in the WC this year?
He would probably have less points in the WC, only two players in top 10 from WC I think. But it doesnt make either conference far better. Kadri isnt do much in the playoffs, I used have no use for the guy, but he has improved quite a bit. I was surprised by his body contact, could be what the Oil need for top 6.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Out of curiosity I stated to watch the Pens/Islanders game. Heres a vastly superior Pens team as I stated simply holding up the Islanders in the series.

Pens aren't taking this opponent seriously in the slightest and are content to pretty much trade chances.

They allow the Islanders to outplay, outshoot them in the first and let the Islanders stake a 2-0 lead.

The Pens only after that get serious and start steamrolling and score next 4 goals.

As a fan its hard to conclude anything other than teams not bringing it their all for the 60mins.

In the East you very seldom see two teams bringing a solid all round game simultaneously.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He would probably have less points in the WC, only two players in top 10 from WC I think. But it doesnt make either conference far better. Kadri isnt do much in the playoffs, I used have no use for the guy, but he has improved quite a bit. I was surprised by his body contact, could be what the Oil need for top 6.
No, sorry, teams that play solid all round play and can play tight to the vest hockey win in the playoffs.

Teams that can only run up the score seldom, if ever, win the cup.

What you say may apply in the regular season, it doesn't in the playoffs.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Wolfgang Krauser
LETS BURN IT UP

Quote:
Out of curiosity I stated to watch the Pens/Islanders game. Heres a vastly superior Pens team as I stated simply holding up the Islanders in the series.

Pens aren't taking this opponent seriously in the slightest and are content to pretty much trade chances.

They allow the Islanders to outplay, outshoot them in the first and let the Islanders stake a 2-0 lead.

The Pens only after that get serious and start steamrolling and score next 4 goals.

As a fan its hard to conclude anything other than teams not bringing it their all for the 60mins.

In the East you very seldom see two teams bringing a solid all round game simultaneously.
You hold a lot of value in how teams played down the stretch, yet you ignore that the Islanders were one of the hottest teams in the NHL down the stretch. They went into the playoffs hot, and it's showing right now by staying in with the penguins. They are division rivals, teams step their games up in these types of matches.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:22 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The 4/5 teams in the west would obliterate the Bruins or Leafs.. these guys turn the puck over more than the Oilers.
Quote:

So you started watching but looked at the box score to state your points.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So you started watching but looked at the box score to state your points.
How am I wrong?

The Pens, going into game 3 on the road in a tied series somehow lack intensity or resolve in the first period, get outshot, outplayed, and quickly go down 2-0 in the first period.

Would the Kings ever do this?

Old
05-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:

you haven't been watching the game closely. It's been highly contested, push backs and forth between teams. Pens got lucky and scored 2 goals in rapid succession, on a 5-3 then a 5-4, all world stretch pass by Malkin to Kunitz who sniped. Of course they're a better team but it's playoff hockey, the Islanders are giving it all they've got.

Wow... what a snipe by Tavares... game tied 4-4... great game...

Old
05-05-2013, 01:29 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Looks like the Penguins have been believing their own hype...

Old
05-05-2013, 01:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh66 View Post
You hold a lot of value in how teams played down the stretch, yet you ignore that the Islanders were one of the hottest teams in the NHL down the stretch. They went into the playoffs hot, and it's showing right now by staying in with the penguins. They are division rivals, teams step their games up in these types of matches.
I hold a lot of value in solid system play and teams committed to system play which is a precious rarity in EC.

A team like the Islanders can get so hot because they play in the weak EC. Lets see what happens in more interlocking play next year.

Heres another interesting thought. 5 of the EC playoff clubs are pretenders that have done much of nothing ever. 4 of the WC playoff teams have won Stanley Cups in recent years and 5 have been in a SC final. Only two of the East playoff teams have even seen a SC final in recent years.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Bad penalty by Iginla, super careless.. Isles PP coming up. Can't help by cheer for these Islanders a little, them being massive underdogs.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
you haven't been watching the game closely. It's been highly contested, push backs and forth between teams. Pens got lucky and scored 2 goals in rapid succession, on a 5-3 then a 5-4, all world stretch pass by Malkin to Kunitz who sniped. Of course they're a better team but it's playoff hockey, the Islanders are giving it all they've got.

Wow... what a snipe by Tavares... game tied 4-4... great game...
This just spells out how much the Pens lack all zone focus and team play. Giving up 4 goals in this game is just fail.

Whens the last time the Kings ever gave up 4 goals in a playoff game?

edit: To answer my own question its been over 2 years. The last series the Kings gave up 4 or more goals was in April 2011 in a series in which they lost to the SJ Sharks. Lesson learned, Kings have now gone 24 playoff games in a row without giving up 4 goals and are SC champs due to this.

Old
05-05-2013, 01:37 PM
#ualberta

Wow if the pens lose this
Second straight game they give up a two goal lead

Closed Thread